closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: London & Lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Our family of four live in London and we've been going out for walks to the local marshes, forest and country park every day.

Last week most places were empty, except for a few runners and dog walkers.

Yesterday and today was busier, but we only saw singles or couples dog walking/running or obvious families, and everyone was keeping their distance, stopping like cars on a narrow lane to allow people to pass.

On the way back today we saw that police had closed a side road to the forest, with a patrol car and two constables in attendance. When we'd passed it earlier it looked busy and cars were parked up and down, so I have no idea if the police were simply moving people on or something had happened.

We're lucky enough to have a car and can drive out a bit to get to the walks, but if a local park is the only patch of green accessible to you then I can understand the need to get there.

What I really don't like is Twat Mancock blaming everyone except his own government for the problems. To start slinging accusations at people who've been trapped in their homes all week when he can't even provide face masks, gloves and testing kits to NHS staff just smacks of snotty-nosed deflection. Rather than lock everyone in their homes, sort out the testing so we know if we need to stay in or not.
    No need to get to a park, plenty of people walking/running around streets. It’s still exercise which is supposed to be why we’re out.

Our family of four live in London and we've been going out for walks to the local marshes, forest and country park every day.

Last week most places were empty, except for a few runners and dog walkers.

Yesterday and today was busier, but we only saw singles or couples dog walking/running or obvious families, and everyone was keeping their distance, stopping like cars on a narrow lane to allow people to pass.

On the way back today we saw that police had closed a side road to the forest, with a patrol car and two constables in attendance. When we'd passed it earlier it looked busy and cars were parked up and down, so I have no idea if the police were simply moving people on or something had happened.

We're lucky enough to have a car and can drive out a bit to get to the walks, but if a local park is the only patch of green accessible to you then I can understand the need to get there.

What I really don't like is Twat Mancock blaming everyone except his own government for the problems. To start slinging accusations at people who've been trapped in their homes all week when he can't even provide face masks, gloves and testing kits to NHS staff just smacks of snotty-nosed deflection. Rather than lock everyone in their homes, sort out the testing so we know if we need to stay in or not.
    Didn’t think you were meant to drive to do your daily exercise? That’s probably why the police were closing roads to stop
    people driving there.

No one has an issue with anyone going to the local park as part of there exercise it’s the ......s that go there and then
    sunbathe or have a picnic and congregate, these are the people who may stop the people who really need to get out having
    this opportunity by not complying with a very simple and clear directive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No need to get to a park, plenty of people walking/running around streets. It’s still exercise which is supposed to be why we’re out.
    So clog the streets with people instead?

Police the parks, break up groups of more than three unless they can prove they live in the same household, fine those who don't comply. Pretty simple.

What I don't understand is how one person sunbathing is a problem to anyone?

The streets won’t be clogged.

If sunbathing is allowed, parks will be full of sunbathers. Unlike exercise, it’s hardly necessary.

London & Lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The streets won’t be clogged.

If sunbathing is allowed, parks will be full of sunbathers. Unlike exercise, it’s hardly necessary.
    The rain will be along to sort it out shortly. The nice weather saw dumb cretins flock to the seaside the other day.
    Last edited by RustyBin5; 5th April 2020 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Didn’t think you were meant to drive to do your daily exercise?
    Can you show me any source for this information? I haven't read anything about not being able to drive.

We're following all the guidelines as we understand them, and while I work from home I'm getting out once a day for a walk around the block, and my wife is driving the children to a deserted forest for a walk, so we're doing our bit for social distancing.

At the weekend I have to drive to Sainsbury's and queue up for 30 minutes to do the weekly shop, but obviously a few things will be missing, so I'll have to pop in to a local shop during the week to fill the gaps. I'm now feeding a family of four, all day, not just evenings and weekends. That's been an eye-opener.

The kids can't see their friends, they're not doing swimming, footy, horse riding, tap dancing, diving, so we're not going to walk the streets for exercise – we're going to get out and walk around a lake or down a river bank. And no one at any time is at any risk from us, or us from them.

Can you show me any source for this information? I haven't read anything about not being able to drive.

We're following all the guidelines as we understand them, and while I work from home I'm getting out once a day for a walk around the block, and my wife is driving the children to a deserted forest for a walk, so we're doing our bit for social distancing.

At the weekend I have to drive to Sainsbury's and queue up for 30 minutes to do the weekly shop, but obviously a few things will be missing, so I'll have to pop in to a local shop during the week to fill the gaps. I'm now feeding a family of four, all day, not just evenings and weekends. That's been an eye-opener.

The kids can't see their friends, they're not doing swimming, footy, horse riding, tap dancing, diving, so we're not going to walk the streets for exercise – we're going to get out and walk around a lake or down a river bank. And no one at any time is at any risk from us, or us from them.
    Not sure if it’s written down anywhere but the local police around here have it on their FB page and are reminding people daily
    Think the advice was stay local
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 5th April 2020 at 20:46.

Craftsman
    It's been constantly referenced that you should not be driving to a park for exercise.

Assistant Chief Constable Mike Walker said: “The new and significant restrictions announced by the Prime Minister on Monday evening spell out very clearly what each and every one of us must do to save lives.

“The message is clear and the warning stark. Stay at home, save lives.”

A pamphlet handed out to drivers by the Avon and Somerset Police states: “You are entitled to exercise once daily. This should be by walking, running or cycling from your home address. You should not be driving to a location away from home to carry this out.”

Various police forces’ have stated that member of the public should not be driving somewhere with the intent of doing exercise or walking their dog – and with new powers being granted to police to arrest those who ignore lockdown rules, you should follow the rules from the police.

The Environment Department also stated that the public should “stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily”.

You should not be driving to a separate location to exercise or walk your dog.

London & Lockdown

It has been made quite clear on the news every day that you should be exercising local to your home. I.e. not driving somewhere. Quite honestly I don’t see an issue with you driving to a deserted location, just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sooner there’s a full lockdown the better.

Master
    Please use the following guidance in order to stay safe:
    stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily

How is your driving somewhere to exercise necessary? Preferred, most definitely, but not necessary.

Am sure the kids will appreciate their other hobbies even more on the other side.

Police forces have been slightly clearer on it.
    I live in a rural location, still have people driving out here to park and walk. More people to avoid.

Craftsman
    It's about driving in general. If you crash and you have two kids in the car you are taking up three hospital beds which could be critical for someone dying of covid.

If your wife gets stopped with the kids in the car going for a walk there's a very good chance she gets a fine, depending on how lenient the police are feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    It's about driving in general. If you crash and you have two kids in the car you are taking up three hospital beds which could be critical for someone dying of covid.
    And this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/c...o-green-spaces

You drive to a deserted forest, do you know why it’s apparently deserted, because most people are doing what they are meant to.

And in case you hadn’t noticed your family aren’t the only ones who can’t do what they normally do, I can see my parents but
    only from outside their house when I deliver food to them once a week and they can’t go out for 12 weeks.
    I haven’t seen my son for a month, he is stuck at his Uni accommodation, should have been home for Easter but way things are going won’t see him before June at the earliest and when he does come home not sure if we should isolate for 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Please use the following guidance in order to stay safe:
    stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily

How is your driving somewhere to exercise necessary? Preferred, most definitely, but not necessary.

Am sure the kids will appreciate their other hobbies even more on the other side.
    It's necessary because the local park is busy and small, and the streets are narrow so it's difficult to keep a distance from other people out 'exercising'.

Like I say, we don't go near anyone and they don't come near to us. Try that on the street or local park.

I think people are losing perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    It has been made quite clear on the news every day that you should be exercising local to your home. I.e. not driving somewhere. Quite honestly I don’t see an issue with you driving to a deserted location, just saying.

Surely it’s about keeping vehicular traffic to an absolute minimum?

It's necessary because the local park is busy and small, and the streets are narrow so it's difficult to keep a distance from other people out 'exercising'.

Like I say, we don't go near anyone and they don't come near to us. Try that on the street or local park.

Good idea all these other people out walking and exercising in our local park and on our local streets are really annoying aren’t they I can’t let my dog off the lead in the park, let’s all drive to somewhere deserted.

So clog the streets with people instead?

Police the parks, break up groups of more than three unless they can prove they live in the same household, fine those who don't comply. Pretty simple.

What I don't understand is how one person sunbathing is a problem to anyone?
    Because one person sunbathing becomes an excuse for another person to think it’s OK to go sunbathing, etc. Then all of a sudden it becomes harder and harder to keep 2m apart.

It’s like the CMO of Scotland, how can she seriously expect people to heed her advice when she’s not heeding it herself.

I’m convinced people are using the exercise rule just to get out because they’re fed up stuck at home. The more we go out the more we increase the risk of the virus spreading, it really is that simple and I’m sick of hearing the “we’re not doing any harm” excuse.

Master

Think you may have lost the point, or believe you are overly entitled.

My wife said it beautifully..."if you are able to provide all that for your kids as hobbies, surely you are intelligent enough to comprehend why not driving is important"

Clearly that is not the case & you are either slow or selfish.

I hope none of your wider family loses out as emergency services rescue another selfish member of the public out driving, while they require help.

Perspective, try a mirror and ask yourself the question should the worse happen...was it necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Surely it’s about keeping vehicular traffic to an absolute minimum?
    That makes sense

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    That water is so hard and unforgiving when you fall into it from surface height lol

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    So nobody ever hurt themselves on one of those boards then? Slipped and hit the board with their face? Waters quite shallow, tread on the bottom and get cut on a broken bottle/piece of rock?
    Point is it’s an unnecessary risk which, at the moment given the stress the NHS is under, is stupid.
    But yeah that water is pretty soft “lol”
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Just to note, it seems fine in Bristol. Everyone appears to be practicing social distancing to the extreme.

Last night on the news they clearly noted you could drive to your daily exercise as long as it was local.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So nobody ever hurt themselves on one of those boards then? Slipped and hit the board with their face? Waters quite shallow, tread on the bottom and get cut on a broken bottle/piece of rock?
    Point is it’s an unnecessary risk which, at the moment given the stress the NHS is under, is stupid.
    To be fair, if that's your chosen form of exercise, it's probably safer than mine (cycling). Probably safer than walking too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post

If your wife gets stopped with the kids in the car going for a walk there's a very good chance she gets a fine, depending on how lenient the police are feeling.
    Exactly.

Yeah but, no but, we’re only driving to somewhere deserted, ‘cos after all there are loopholes in the advice, and we’re clever people not those others who haven’t got a clue, and after all we did all have a jolly good clap the other night in the drive for the NHS, and why shouldn’t we drive after all we have a nice car and we’re not hurting anyone, why should we have to walk around like everyone else, I mean we pay our taxes, and it’s terrible for the children who have so many hobbies they’re missing out on, and surely the rules aren’t meant for sensible people like us who can afford to drive to nice places, and.................

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Just to note, it seems fine in Bristol. Everyone appears to be practicing social distancing to the extreme.

Last night on the news they clearly noted you could drive to your daily exercise as long as it was local.
    I don’t quite understand this, if it’s local why do you need to drive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    To be fair, if that's your chosen form of exercise, it's probably safer than mine (cycling). Probably safer than walking too.
    To be fair, are you being sarcastic?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    I don’t quite understand this, if it’s local why do you need to drive.
    I agree, it is ambiguous, it was mentioned that it was at the time. I assume it isn't to unreasonable to think most of us can practice common sense.

Master
    No...

I have tried paddle boarding, it seems pretty safe to me. I'd prefer falling off one of them than falling off my bike.

Blog Entries
    I walk my dog 365 days a year. Half a mile on the street and then on common land and private farmland.
    I’ve never seen so many people and families suddenly interested in exercise and walking. I bet most wouldn’t normally venture more than a few feet from their PC or iPad unless it involved chicken dippers from the look of them.
    Bring on a total lockdown.

Blog Entries
    No...

I have tried paddle boarding, it seems pretty safe to me. I'd prefer falling off one of them than falling off my bike.
    You know best apparently.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5472235/
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 5th April 2020 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I assume it isn't to unreasonable to think most of us can practice common sense.
    Yep but the problem is when you are talking about 66 million people ‘most’ could leave a lot of people who can’t.

Look at the chief medical officer in Scotland.......

Master
    On the flip side, and I include myself and my family in this, while we are told not to leave our houses unless we are shopping for essentials or for exercise, we are making a point of going out once a day for the latter. I would have thought many others are doing the same. Whether they are junk food fans or not.

Master
    You know best.
    Thank you.

I walk my dog 365 days a year.

Which carpet will the dog be using as a toilet?

Master
    Love that you took the time to dig that out. Is it more likely to get you a trip to A&E than cycling then?

I have two old cars, neither of which have power steering. Since it kills two birds with one stone (driving to do your exercise) is it ok for me to go out for a spin for an hour per day?
    "A man of little significance"

I walk my dog 365 days a year. Half a mile on the street and then on common land and private farmland.
    I’ve never seen so many people and families suddenly interested in exercise and walking. I bet most wouldn’t normally venture more than a few feet from their PC or iPad unless it involved chicken dippers from the look of them.
    The reason is that all other avenues are closed off. Cinemas, gyms, theatres, museums, open farms, bird reserves, National Trust homes and land, restaurants, cafes, pubs, bowling alleys, shopping centres, sports events, concert venues, exhibitions... everything. All that’s left for the whole population is outdoors.

And nobody ever tripped, slipped, or cut themselves on a farm? Blimey.

Master
    Blog Entries
    this is true,same around my way.

Master
    Interesting thread. If it helps, no cars on Tower Bridge, and no paddle boarders sighted.

Will resume patrol tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-lockdown

Master
    There seem to be more than a few ‘old guys’ on here who seem to have become expert at risk assessing everybody else’s activities, whilst proclaiming their own risk free.

Formally belligerent posters who all of a sudden, and faced with their own mortality, seem to be channeling it by calling everybody else idiots.

If it wasn’t so tragic, it would be funny....

I hope everybody stays safe.

Master

Such selfishness as this angers and disgusts the vast majority of this country at this present time. You ask to be shown a source where the government has asked everyone not to drive to areas to exercise but stay local as possible, several posters took the time to show you the proof that you inadvertently chose to miss and yet you still post trying to defend your actions and reasons. You seem to think it is your human right to do as you please and not realise the message you send out to others by driving unnecessarily when a walk round the block will more than suffice at this current time. Have you for not one minute given a proper moments thought to the thousands upon thousands of NHS staff are currently under huge pressure from the over load of patients from this virus.
    Do you not think they too would like to have enough time to shop twice a week, to spend time at home with their family, to walk in a deserted forest, phaff around on the internet. Would you still be as blasé about your freedom being affected if your mother, father, wife, sister, brother, in-laws, neighbours were on that frontline. How about god forbid one of those were in hospital fighting for their life, would you still be as keen to go for your daily walks.
    My niece is a nurse and has for the last 3 weeks been doing 60-70hrs per week, only having time to come home sleep grab a few things on the way back to the hospital the next day. She hasn’t seen her mother, father, sister or brother not to mention grandparents or friends in 3 weeks yet alone go out for a walk or run!!! So how about stop your whinging and just giving it a go for 3/4/5 weeks and maybe, just maybe we can all go out and enjoy a little more freedom and your children can again spend time with their hobbies.

Half the world is in lockdown, scientists and governments are trying their best, they’ve asked us all to stay in. What bit are you not understanding?!! #we’re all in it together

The reason is that all other avenues are closed off. Cinemas, gyms, theatres, museums, open farms, bird reserves, National Trust homes and land, restaurants, cafes, pubs, bowling alleys, shopping centres, sports events, concert venues, exhibitions... everything. All that’s left for the whole population is outdoors.
    All that’s left for the population is to stop spreading the virus so people can resume normal lives as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Interesting thread. If it helps, no cars on Tower Bridge, and no paddle boarders.
    Pesky paddle boarders, clogging up the NHS

Master

London & Lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by Browners View Post
    Such selfishness as this angers and disgusts the vast majority of this country at this present time. You ask to be shown a source where the government has asked everyone not to drive to areas to exercise but stay local as possible, several posters took the time to show you the proof that you inadvertently chose to miss and yet you still post trying to defend your actions and reasons. You seem to think it is your human right to do as you please and not realise the message you send out to others by driving unnecessarily when a walk round the block will more than suffice at this current time. Have you for not one minute given a proper moments thought to the thousands upon thousands of NHS staff are currently under huge pressure from the over load of patients from this virus.
    Do you not think they too would like to have enough time to shop twice a week, to spend time at home with their family, to walk in a deserted forest, phaff around on the internet. Would you still be as blasé about your freedom being affected if your mother, father, wife, sister, brother, in-laws, neighbours were on that frontline. How about god forbid one of those were in hospital fighting for their life, would you still be as keen to go for your daily walks.
    My niece is a nurse and has for the last 3 weeks been doing 60-70hrs per week, only having time to come home sleep grab a few things on the way back to the hospital the next day. She hasn’t seen her mother, father, sister or brother not to mention grandparents or friends in 3 weeks yet alone go out for a walk or run!!! So how about stop your whinging and just giving it a go for 3/4/5 weeks and maybe, just maybe we can all go out and enjoy a little more freedom and your children can again spend time with their hobbies.

Half the world is in lockdown, scientists and governments are trying their best, they’ve asked us all to stay in. What bit are you not understanding?!! #we’re all in it together
    The link above, notes the government accept people may need to drive to exercise. They’ve advised you can drive to your exercise in England. I believe it’s different in Scotland and Wales though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    And nobody ever tripped, slipped, or cut themselves on a farm? Blimey.

It's a question of probabilities. Like I said earlier lots of people saying 'yeah but, no but' to find loopholes. Walking for exercise from home is allowed. Haven't seen any recommendations for paddle boarding. Walking the dog, even on farmland is probably one of the safer pursuits, but hey whatever you say.

Blog Entries
    Under the guidelines yes. But there seem to be a lot of entitled people who know better.

Blog Entries
    Love that you took the time to dig that out. Is it more likely to get you a trip to A&E than cycling then?
    No idea. But if cycling is so likely to get you a trip to A&E then why are you doing it? Have you not heard the NHS has enough to do at the moment?