closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Outlook Experts?

Master

Any Outlook Experts?

Strange episode with my Outlook yesterday which hopefully an IT expert can shed some light on...

I have the desktop version of Outlook 2016 with a Gmail, Hotmail and a work related account synched via IMAP. Have had Outlook in one form or another for 10+years and all worked fine.

Whilst browsing watches online (as you do) yesterday evening, I clicked back to my open Outlook tab only to see all the emails in my inbox disappearing! This was in all the three accounts rather than one. Inboxes were also empty when logging into Gmail etc via web browser but all other folders were unaffected and fortunately as I only keep a few currently relevant emails in the inboxes I was able to restore them all from the archive folders for each account.

In case of foul play, I have changed the account passwords. Have active anti-virus/web browsing protection etc and a system scan has not shown up anything. Office is set to update automatically and I have just manually updated to be sure. I have not changed the auto-archive or clean up settings and these are not set to values which would cause emails to be deleted/archived.

I didn't receive any emails shortly before this event and obviously do not click on links in unsolicited emails or spam mails at any time. Have had a look online where I found the suggestions about auto-archiving etc else but nothing else seems relevant.

Anyone had something similar and found a cause? Otherwise might be time for a new email client!

Any Outlook Experts?

Any chance you accidentally marked your emails as “Junk”, or set them to “Expired”?

To check take a look in your Junk folders.

I’ve had this occur a couple of times when I’ve been viewing emails on my iPhone and accidentally marked all email as Junk, rather than Read.

When I next look on my laptop the Inbox is empty, as Outlook has set them to Expired. I can then see them in my Junk folder with a strike though, which is the font used for expired emails. You can open each one and mark them as unexpired (there are instructions via Google).

Just to add, there is a way to download all emails from the server to your local Inbox, though I can’t remember the exact instructions off the top of my head. I know because I seem to have to do this once or twice a year!
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 5th April 2020 at 11:41.

If you look in Ctl panel mail there should be your outlook profile. Make sure outlook is loading the profile you want. You could create a new profile there too and set up your accounts there and they should replicate assuming the mail is still on the server.

I think most likely is you have somehow loaded a new profile in Outlook.

Something very similar happened to me last weekend, the last month or so of emails vanished, not having obviously done anything to cause it

I found them in my POP folder and was able to restore them, but kept happening again

Still don’t understand what a POP folder is and I found trying to google what was going on spectacularly boring and difficult (seems to be a set of terminology I am unable to comprehend!)

In short though I found some kind of setting about keeping a copy on the server as well as local, since ticking that box things seem to be back to normal

Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    Something very similar happened to me last weekend, the last month or so of emails vanished, not having obviously done anything to cause it

I found them in my POP folder and was able to restore them, but kept happening again

Still don’t understand what a POP folder is and I found trying to google what was going on spectacularly boring and difficult (seems to be a set of terminology I am unable to comprehend!)

In short though I found some kind of setting about keeping a copy on the server as well as local, since ticking that box things seem to be back to normal
    It's been so long since I used POP or IMAP that I might be misremembering but I think POP were local copies not synced like IMAP.

Master
    Removed all my accounts and then set up a new profile as below and re-added anything and so far seems to be working as normal!

Weren't any in the Junk box so don't think they were marked as junk by mistake. All were archived so I may have set things to auto-archive but couldn't see any evidence of how I did that!

It's a feature.

Sorry, I realise that was absolutely no fricking help at all.

Craftsman
    Good you sorted it. One tip is to hunt out the OST or PST files and take a copy then import.

Craftsman
    Last time I saw this it was because the "unread emails" option had been clicked. It will only show unread emails so there was nothing left in the inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Good you sorted it. One tip is to hunt out the OST or PST files and take a copy then import.
    An OST file can't simply be imported.

A couple of things you may want to check:

1. Is 'autoarchive' set up in Outlook?
    If so your emails will shift from your imap server onto your local hard drive file.

2. Do you also have an iphone synched to the same emails? My wife had a problem where a setting within her iphone automatically deleted emails over a certain age (cant remember what 'age' that was now though), meaning she lost loads of emails before she realised it was happening. It was also set to delete the emails as a default setting - which is worrying. Not sure if that is still the case now though, as that related to an old 5S phone.

HTH