closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wall Lamp Wiring Q

Wall Lamp Wiring Q

We moved house just before CV hit and I have been using the time to work my way through the things to do list. One of my last jobs is to mount a wall lamp, the previous owners took theirs and left me with this:

My wall lamp just has the 3 inputs, I can’t call an electrician out and would like to get this done if possible. I am guessing the black tape around the neutral signifies some sort of circuit? Can any enlightened person tell me what I do with the 2 lives and 2 neutrals please?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The blue wire with tape on it is likely to be a switched live - do you have a tester ? if so, turn the light switch off and on to double check that it is indeed a switched live.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    The blue wire with tape on it is likely to be a switched live - do you have a tester ? if so, turn the light switch off and on to double check that it is indeed a switched live.
    Almost certainly this.

I don’t have a circuit tester I am afraid, what do I need to do to the switched live.

Master
    How many cables do you have running to the junction box? Normally there would be three (loop in, loop out & switch) but it seems you only have two. Maybe this is the end of the lighting loop in which case the wiring might be like this but without the 'Out' cable:

https://www.flameport.com/electric/l...ose_looped.cs4

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    I don’t have a circuit tester I am afraid, what do I need to do to the switched live.
    screwfix will have one for you to pick up from their local branch. Shouldnt do anything with electricity without an electrical screwdriver

https://www.screwfix.com/p/slotted-v...ac-2-pcs/4113v

Master
    It may help if you post a picture of the connector block on your new lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    It may help if you post a picture of the connector block on your new lamp.
    Ok so there are 2 neutrals, 2 live and 2 earth coming out of the wall. The wall lamp connectors are:

Master
    Ok so there are 2 neutrals, 2 live and 2 earth coming out of the wall. The wall lamp connectors are:
    OK, I think it needs to be connected like this (assuming that currently on the junction box you have a single neutral in one terminal, two lives in one terminal, two earths in one terminal & a single blue with tape (switched live) in the last terminal):

The single neutral goes into the connector marked 'N'
    The two earths go into the connector marked 'Earth'
    The single Blue with tape goes into the connector marked 'L'
    The two Browns need to be connected together with a piece of choc block or similar.

However, that's just my guess of what's likely to be correct. Turn off the Consumer Unit before you work on it & don't touch the lamp while you are testing if it works. I'd advise you get a test screwdriver - doesn't a neighbour have one you can borrow?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    Yup

Master
    Brown from the light fitting to the blue with black tape on
    Earth to the earth
    Blue to blue

Stand back and switch it on if the light doesn’t work it’s wrong if the the cct breaker trips it’s wrong and you'd need a tester to sort.

It only looks like one brown there but I’m guessing that’s an optical illusion and there is 2. Those need to be connected together in a connector block or wago behind the fitting but not touching the fitting. Doesn’t say your location but if it’s norrthwest drop me a pm and I’ll see if we can sort something out even if it’s me shouting instructions through your window etc whilst I’m out working anyway.
    Last edited by bootneck; 5th April 2020 at 15:50.

Craftsman

Wall Lamp Wiring Q

I hope that blue isn’t live, if it is, it should have red tape on!

Are you sure they haven’t just cut into a lighting circuit ring?

What’s on the other end of the taped cable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edzt View Post
    I hope that blue isn’t live, if it is, it should have red tape on!

Are you sure they haven’t just cut into a lighting circuit ring?

What’s on the other end of the taped cable
    Generally a blue with sleeving denotes a switched live it could be that the sleeving is brown ( red was slowly phased out circa 2002) but very dark looking more black, I’d put money on it being a switched live whatever the colour sleeving is. Difficult for him to trace if he hasn’t got a tester

Thanks all who contributed. Mr Pointy got it spot on.

Master
    Are you going to make it straight tomorrow ?

;)

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Are you going to make it straight tomorrow ?

;)
    Haha the spirit level was the first tool used before the drill was even out of its box, my Dad was a builder and has passed on a hate of all things wonky!