closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TV viewing screen problem

TV viewing screen problem

We have an extension on the back of our house, large bifold doors that open on to garden and four velux roof windows that on a day like today make it a beautiful warm, sun light room to sit in, unless you want to watch tv! We have a 55” plasma and at some points of the day you can’t see a thing because of the reflections and the bright light.

I know we could draw the curtains or fit blinds but it seems a shame on a beautiful day, is there any type of tv that would make it a bit better? I did hear that plasma tv is more reflective (after I bought it).

On a plus note it does limit the amount of tv I watch while stuck at home. :)

Craftsman
    A bit of a first world problem.

Perhaps polarising sunglasses might help? Although if it’s a lovely sunny day it’s the perfect excuse to be outside

Get an LCD screen, we bought a Samsung which reduces the glare and reflections over the Panasonic plasma glass screen we had.
    We have a South facing room which has similar issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Get an LCD screen, we bought a Samsung which reduces the glare and reflections over the Panasonic plasma glass screen we had.
    We have a South facing room which has similar issues.
    Thank you Rod, for giving a sensible answer to what I thought was a reasonable question.

I hope you and your family are all safe and well.

Master
    Have the same issue with our Panasonic Plasma due to “glossy” screen. Our Sony has a matt screen and easier to watch in bright light.
    I’m guessing your plasma must be getting on a bit anyway.

The LG OLED screens are pretty good and have read Samsung OLEDs are good in bright rooms

LEDs should be better than LCDs as they are brighter and have better contrast.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonah View Post
    Well in fairness, I have a pair of diamond shoes that are too tight.

Master
    This is a common problem is Spain and the only solution is to pull the curtains across and the darker the colour of the curtains the better.

Craftsman
    We have this problem - I just pull the curtains. I have a usb led light strip on back of TV for some ambient lighting. At night we don't have lights on as the ambient lighting is good enough. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ghting-for-tv/ Can get the strips off Ebay for less than a fiver.

Craftsman
    Motorised blinds are the way to go. You can get material that stops most if the light but allows you to still see out.

Quote Originally Posted by jonah View Post
    And you're living in the third?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    I bet you were tempted to say..........
    No not so, I was only tempted to say - This is a common problem is Spain and the only solution is to pull the curtains across and the darker the colour of the curtains the better.

The reason is that unlike you poor devils in the UK, we get a lot of sun in Spain and hence it is a common problem.

Craftsman
    Despite amazing black levels, sun-glare is one of the negatives with a plasma. I have one of the last ones made by Panasonic and my neighbours must think I’m a goth as in summer I have the window shutters closed all afternoon.

Only way around it is curtains, blinds or an LED TV.

Master
    Motorized blinds and the voice assistant of your choice (alexa / siri / etc.)
    We have this exact issue in the games room / snug and solved it with exactly this solution 'alexa snug blinds on / off' and seconds later your're ready to kill things on the ps4.
    I have the same in my office as the sun rises right onto my workstation so I can control the level of sunlight from my desk. Not cheap but not ruinously expensive, approx £2-300 per window for a 2+m wide window and then £50 ish for the hub for alexa integration.

As for tv's themselves, an LED tv will have a higher brightness output but lower contrast than an OLED tv due to the way that OLED uses emissive pixels and so can have true black whereas LED uses a backlight which can bleed through. Personally I'd take the need for a theoretically slightly more darkened room and OLED's amazing picture quality over an LED TV. OLED is more expensive then LED though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Despite amazing black levels, sun-glare is one of the negatives with a plasma. I have one of the last ones made by Panasonic and my neighbours must think I’m a goth as in summer I have the window shutters closed all afternoon.
    Or maybe a Vampire?

Master
    Any direct view screen short of an led jumbotron ( which you won’t want for many reasons) Is going to fail to compete with direct sunlight .

Accept that areas with lots if sunlight during the day will not function well for viewing. Blinds and curtains are your friends .