A while before the virus outbreak, I had a look at my watch collection and asked, “do these give me any real pleasure?” The first that failed the test was sold, then the next and the next. I gave my Seamaster to my son who has wanted one for ages. I kept the watch I got from my parents for passing my O grades (a lovely Winstar), the Seiko I got for my 21st many, many moons ago and an Omega my wife bought me for our 10th anniversary. That’s it, a collection of three watches which all have huge sentimental value.

I then made a list of what I wanted a watch to do (collectibility, resale and appreciating value were no longer part of the equation) and bought an Apple Watch. What an eye opener! Of course it tells time, but it’s waterproof, records all activity, gives fitness challenges, acts as a timer when I need one (which is often as it turns out), reminds me to move more, is a night clock and alarm and it notifies me of anything I want notified about. The series 5 is also always on, so no more raising your wrist to turn on the display. It’s also a very quiet design, definitely not a statement piece.

And it was cheap! So if it gets banged about and scratched, who cares? And if a better one comes out which can whisk eggs or control the weather, I can buy it without breaking the bank. On the rare occasions when we dress up, one of the sentimental collection is pressed back into service, and each of them is a joy to wear, with a story too, if anyone is interested enough to ask.

I now still enjoy the watch forum and reading about the various watches on sale, but I’m very happy with my little set of tickers and I think I’m highly unlikely to ever unbuckle a large amount of money for a watch.