closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One watch to replace them all.

One watch to replace them all.

A while before the virus outbreak, I had a look at my watch collection and asked, “do these give me any real pleasure?” The first that failed the test was sold, then the next and the next. I gave my Seamaster to my son who has wanted one for ages. I kept the watch I got from my parents for passing my O grades (a lovely Winstar), the Seiko I got for my 21st many, many moons ago and an Omega my wife bought me for our 10th anniversary. That’s it, a collection of three watches which all have huge sentimental value.

I then made a list of what I wanted a watch to do (collectibility, resale and appreciating value were no longer part of the equation) and bought an Apple Watch. What an eye opener! Of course it tells time, but it’s waterproof, records all activity, gives fitness challenges, acts as a timer when I need one (which is often as it turns out), reminds me to move more, is a night clock and alarm and it notifies me of anything I want notified about. The series 5 is also always on, so no more raising your wrist to turn on the display. It’s also a very quiet design, definitely not a statement piece.

And it was cheap! So if it gets banged about and scratched, who cares? And if a better one comes out which can whisk eggs or control the weather, I can buy it without breaking the bank. On the rare occasions when we dress up, one of the sentimental collection is pressed back into service, and each of them is a joy to wear, with a story too, if anyone is interested enough to ask.

I now still enjoy the watch forum and reading about the various watches on sale, but I’m very happy with my little set of tickers and I think I’m highly unlikely to ever unbuckle a large amount of money for a watch.

Master
    If you want a watch that does it all - go for a Rolex Skydweller. Months, dates, hours, minutes, seconds and a GMT. It only needs adjusting once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you want a watch that does it all - go for a Rolex Skydweller. Months, dates, hours, minutes, seconds and a GMT. It only needs adjusting once a year.
    I think you've missed the point - that's terrible functionality compared to what the OP desires.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I think you've missed the point - that's terrible functionality compared to what the OP desires.
    Well possibly but it is the perfect "one does everything" type of watch.

Well possibly but it is the perfect "one does everything" type of watch.
    It's only that, if your everything means months, date, hours, minutes, seconds and GMT. I can think of a few very basic functions missing from that list, such as any sort of timing function - chronograph, rotating bezel of some sort. Heck it doesn't even have a day function!

It's only that, if your everything means months, date, hours, minutes, seconds and GMT. I can think of a few very basic functions missing from that list, such as any sort of timing function - chronograph, rotating bezel of some sort. Heck it doesn't even have a day function!
    It also depends on if you like the looks
    I think it’s a hideous looking watch but everyone is different
    It is definitely not a do everything watch though.

Master
    I think you are being a tad argumentative. It will tell you that at the time of posting this rubbish I am writing, it is 4th April and 3.30
    pm and 19 secs.

It will also give you a GMT equivalent and only need re adjustment on the last day of February.

It is also waterproof down to 100m, so not bad at all.

I think you are being a tad argumentative. It will tell you that at the time of posting this rubbish I am writing, it is 4th April and 3.30
    pm and 19 secs.

It will also give you a GMT equivalent and only need re adjustment on the last day of February.

It is also waterproof down to 100m, so not bad at all.
    Mick, I think you’ve missed the point. The OP wasn’t asking a question, he was extolling the virtues of an Apple watch... where did you get the idea that he was remotely interested in your opinion about the Skydweller?!

Simon

*whoosh*

Craftsman
    Years ago, when I had an apple watch, I disliked not having an always on display - which issues the latest apple watch has solved.

I still don't like it needs recharging every night, so ended up with a Garmin watch - does most of the same as apple watch, but keeps charge for a week, and full recharge takes less time that it takes to have a shower and get ready.

A smart watch that recharges using motion, like an automatic watch does, would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I appreciate your thoughts about the Skydweller. I think that all the pricier higher-end models have something to offer, some more than others, and they’re pretty much all gorgeous. But funnily enough that started to become an issue for me; whatever watch I had, I lusted after another. Now I enjoy reading about them, looking at them in jeweller shops and, from time to time, wearing the three sentimentally valuable watches that I have.

The watch I now wear does everything I could want and there is never a reason to change it; it will swim in the sea, ride a bike, play badminton and go to work. As the last poster pointed out, nightly charging is a weak point, but it doesn’t bother me as I always took off my watch at night anyway.

However, I fully understand the fascination of this hobby. I think I’ve just found a different way of participating in, and enjoying it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post
    Years ago, when I had an apple watch, I disliked not having an always on display - which issues the latest apple watch has solved.

I still don't like it needs recharging every night, so ended up with a Garmin watch - does most of the same as apple watch, but keeps charge for a week, and full recharge takes less time that it takes to have a shower and get ready.

A smart watch that recharges using motion, like an automatic watch does, would be ideal.

I’m in the same boat had an Apple Watch but now switched to a Fenix 6 and is perfect other than being on the large side. I still desire to achieve a nice automatic watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
    I’m in the same boat had an Apple Watch but now switched to a Fenix 6 and is perfect other than being on the large side. I still desire to achieve a nice automatic watch though.
    Agree about the Fenix 6. Don't think I've worn anything else since buying.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
    I considered Fenix 6 as well, eventually went with Forerunner 245 (with music) due to smaller size, wear to work etc.

You beat me to it! One very obvious downside of the Sky Dweller is you have to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It also depends on if you like the looks
    I think it’s a hideous looking watch but everyone is different
    It is definitely not a do everything watch though.

Master
    To be fair since I acquired a Huawei GT watch I've not worn anything else in the same time a couple of watches I've lusted after for a while have appeared on SC and I've happily let them pass on by.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    A while before the virus outbreak, I had a look at my watch collection and asked, “do these give me any real pleasure?” The first that failed the test was sold, then the next and the next. I gave my Seamaster to my son who has wanted one for ages. I kept the watch I got from my parents for passing my O grades (a lovely Winstar), the Seiko I got for my 21st many, many moons ago and an Omega my wife bought me for our 10th anniversary. That’s it, a collection of three watches which all have huge sentimental value.

I now still enjoy the watch forum and reading about the various watches on sale, but I’m very happy with my little set of tickers and I think I’m highly unlikely to ever unbuckle a large amount of money for a watch.
    View reflects your Forum title, well done sir.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by zenius View Post

I have the same issue with my apple watch. I wear it the most of everything i own but the constant recharging is a pain. Seiko brought out the kinetic movement in '86 so i find it hard to believe that in 34 years the technology hasn't increased sufficiently to be applicable to smart watches in some form.

Master
    Just not gonna happen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by time View Post
    I have the same issue with my apple watch. I wear it the most of everything i own but the constant recharging is a pain. Seiko brought out the kinetic movement in '86 so i find it hard to believe that in 34 years the technology hasn't increased sufficiently to be applicable to smart watches in some form.
    They probably could but the R&D cost would make it more expensive for us. It's not easy to keep something going that consumes so much power via a kinetic source. Maybe a combination of all (even body heat can be a power source) but that would make the watch bigger and thicker.

I always thought there should be a an Eco Drive Precisionist movement but how big would the solar panels and battery have to be to power the thirsty movement. Or if more effective solar panels exist to Citizen I'm sure they would pass the cost onto us. It will come though I think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    To be fair since I acquired a Huawei GT watch I've not worn anything else in the same time a couple of watches I've lusted after for a while have appeared on SC and I've happily let them pass on by.

That's very cool. What battery life are you getting and is it "always on"?

Craftsman
    My series 5 Apple Watch has also displaced all my other watches though I am not selling them (for the time being anyway). As for charging, I wear mine while I am sleeping but I tend to wake up quite early, sometime during the 5 o’clock hour usually, and when I wake up at that time I remove my watch and place it on the charger on my nightstand. By the time I get out of bed to make my coffee at 6:30 the watch is fully charged and I go on about my day without a thought about having to charge it again.

My "old world" equivalent of a watch that does it all is a GW-5000. One bloke on WUS loved his so much, he sold his Sub as being obsolete.

Last edited by dkpw; 8th April 2020 at 22:36.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman
    It was a Seiko Shogun that practically killed off my collection. Never was a Seiko fan-boy but in time I ended up selling nearly everything because I just never took the thing off.

To each their own.

This would be mine, Casio Edifice

Eco Drive
    Radio controlled
    World time
    Alarms
    Stop watch
    Count down timer
    Light
    No maintenance (well should be good for a couple of decades at least)

Master
    MY apple watch displaced my 'normal' watches for a few years but then I found I missed them and switched to wearing the apple watch for gym sessions and the traditionals for the remainder of the time. I now have a £30 huawei health band that lasts 10 days on a charge and will do 80% of what the AW did with the addition of blood oxygen levels and sleep monitoring, it even has some quite tasteful faces. I wear this on my right wrist and my watch on my left. The apple watch hasn't been on my wrist for about a year now, suppose I should sell it, but i'm not quite ready to let go yet.

Journeyman

Something along the lines of this unless I needed the full fitness tracking suite then I'd be getting a Fenix.

This is spot on for travelling with.

The appeal of something to charge everyday like an apple is nil.

Quote Originally Posted by Andym View Post

Something along the lines of this unless I needed the full fitness tracking suite then I'd be getting a Fenix.

This is spot on for travelling with.

The appeal of something to charge everyday like an apple is nil.
    I have one of these on a metal bracelet with orange hands, cost me £99 in an Amazon sale about 8 years ago. Still going strong and gets worn quite often. I think it is the same movement as Rod’s edifice above? Although I know it has a ‘tough movement’ that re aligns the hands every 12 hours apparently - not sure if the edifice has that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a lot of ugly watches that do a lot of things at a cheap price:-)

And a lot of expensive Jewellery that doesn’t even tell you the date, I think there’s room for all kinds of watches :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I'm sure I'm not alone, and we have all often looked at our collection(s) and had thoughts about which one we would keep if they all had to go?
    These current times also makes us consider what is important in life, Imagine if this virus was the end of mankind? what would really be the point of a lot of valuable watches?

The reality is different, all of my watches tell some kind of story, I like to be able to swap and change and all in all they have been a good investment compared to money in the bank. Never was a fan of that.

So for me there isn't one watch that can replace them all.

But if it was an end of the world scenario the humble G Shock would surely be all that was required.

Otherjohn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    That's very cool. What battery life are you getting and is it "always on"?
    The watch isn't always on, but a flick of the wrist or a press of a button and it springs to life.

I'm charging it once a week it would do more.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    and bought an Apple Watch. What an eye opener!
    As my Nan used to say - go wash your dirty mouth out with soap and water..

(Not my picture or watch)

At some point in the mid 90s this was my only watch. Ceramic, sapphire, solar, radio-controlled, in an elegant case. What more can any man want?
    Last edited by abraxas; 8th April 2020 at 23:43.

Craftsman

Thumbs up

One ring to rule them all... sorry just what came into my head when I read your title...

Nice collection, especially the Hamilton, I really like that :)

I think most people go through phases with watches, happy, not happy, etc etc. If your happy with what you have then why change?

I tend to wear my Galaxy watch almost 24/7 now.

Just such a versatile piece of tech.

It also free's up both my back pockets when I go out, absolutely no need to take my wallet or phone when i go out now, love it.

To be honest, do you really need anything else?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
    Last edited by senraw; 12th April 2020 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    I tend to wear my Galaxy watch almost 24/7 now.

Just such a versatile piece or tech.

It also free's up both my back pockets when I go out, absolutely no need to take my wallet or phone when i go out now, love it.

To be honest, do you really need anything else?

It's not a watch, it's wrist computer. I have 45 watches, and the fact any of them even tell the time is almost an irrelevance. I love watches, albeit quartz or mechanical, for their looks, specification, and character. What you have on your wrist is no doubt a great piece of technology, but has no sole or character.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
    It's not a watch, it's wrist computer. I have 45 watches, and the fact any of them even tell the time is almost an irrelevance. I love watches, albeit quartz or mechanical, for their looks, specification, and character. What you have on your wrist is no doubt a great piece of technology, but has no sole or character.
    I suppose every digital watch is technically a wrist computer.

I have other watches too, mechanical and quartz, I tend to lean more towards quartz these days tbh, just find them more practical, convenient and precise.

P.S: it's 'soul" not "sole" ;)

Last edited by senraw; 12th April 2020 at 13:13.

A watch is a watch. Mechanical, automatic, quartz or smart. They're still watches.

Hi,

Besides my ‘normal’ mechanics, I also use my Smartwatch extensively. After my trusted Fenix 5 that I used for many years and a short time with a Garmin Descent (too big for me) and thinking that the 6 was also too big at the same size than the Descent, I went all in and bought the Marq Commander. I have never looked back. Look and feel, Quality, design, perfect size. On the Steveo I think it looks awesome

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app