10 13.89%
  • U WOT M8

2 2.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analogue or Digital

Analogue or Digital

Heart says analogue, head says digital.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I like the features of a digital, but find analogue easier to read. X-33 the perfect solution!

Interesting to see ana-digis with second hands.

Do the second hands on ana-digi watches do a better job of hitting the markers than those on analogue quartz watches?

Blog Entries
    you guys are not helping!! Love the collection Mr Curta

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Heart says analogue, head says digital.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I like the features of a digital, but find analogue easier to read. X-33 the perfect solution!

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Interesting to see ana-digis with second hands.

Do the second hands on ana-digi watches do a better job of hitting the markers than those on analogue quartz watches?
    This one, although less illustrious than Matthew's, hits the marks perfectly. It's also one of the few non ABC G-Shock ana-digis to have a seconds hand. A stock shot but it's one I really enjoy having in the collection.

I love a good anal-digit.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    This one, although less illustrious than Matthew's, hits the marks perfectly. It's also one of the few non ABC G-Shock ana-digis to have a seconds hand. A stock shot but it's one I really enjoy having in the collection.

Thanks, what is the model number please?

Hi, that's the GA-835A which was a 35th anniversary model, but it's cousins the GA-800 series are the same watch but with different colours and accents.

They're reasonably priced as they're not solar or atomic, but they have a really nice stopwatch feature, and a dual time function where you can swap home time from the hands to the LCD display. It's fun setting it and seeing the hands whizz round.
    Last edited by dkpw; 4th April 2020 at 07:53.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

With my eyesight as it is now analogue is far easier to read at a glance.
    I’m now coming round to the idea of owning an X-33 but the plain bezel puts me off. The colours of the Skywalker version are perfect and that’s the one I’ll pick when push comes to shove and I buy one. Although the price difference is an obstacle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW WatchGeek on YouTube created this excellent video on how to use this range of G-Shocks.

https://youtu.be/R7VoJA9rjU8
    Hi, that's the GA-835A which was a 35th anniversary model, but it's cousins the GA-800 series are the same watch but with different colours and accents.

They're reasonably priced as they're not solar or atomic, but they have a really nice stopwatch feature, and a dual time function where you can swap home time from the hands to the LCD display. It's fun setting it and seeing the hands whizz round.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Love a bit of ana-digi and was hoping to add an X-33 Skywalker during the recent Beaverbrooks sale fiasco but will keep it on the radar.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Generally I am not a fan of ana-digi ,for me it is either one or the other, but there will always be an exception to prove the rule and the X-33 is that exception.

My only venture into the world of ana-digi was not a great success. As a confirmed Breitling fan I went down the obvious route and bought an Aerospace and simply didn’t like it. I found it too light and insubstantial, but most critically I thought all the crown twiddling to set anything was a complete pain.

I’m not saying I’d never look at ana-digi again but it would have to be something that got past those issues...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Generally I am not a fan of ana-digi ,for me it is either one or the other, but there will always be an exception to prove the rule and the X-33 is that exception.
    I have a similar view - one or the other. A superbly executed digi is a very satisfying watch I think. Not a big fan of the X-33 in general - though I think the newer one looks better. Oh the Z-33 was underloved, a bit too quirky?

Has to be ana-digi for me, and I think in that space its very hard to do better than an Aerospace. I've had all of them, I think, but the best of the bunch for me is the Night Mission. I started with this one...

but ended up settling on the standard version (which is a bit more wearable)...

I honestly can't think of a reason that I'd ever sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    My only venture into the world of ana-digi was not a great success. As a confirmed Breitling fan I went down the obvious route and bought an Aerospace and simply didn’t like it. I found it too light and insubstantial, but most critically I thought all the crown twiddling to set anything was a complete pain.

I’m not saying I’d never look at ana-digi again but it would have to be something that got past those issues...

Simon
    Yes, so true about the Aerospace!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Yes, so true about the Aerospace!!!!
    I’m glad I’m not the only one! I know that the fans on here (including you, Tony!) love them, but I just couldn’t get on with it even though I desperately wanted to...

Simon

Thanks 👍

I’m glad I’m not the only one! I know that the fans on here (including you, Tony!) love them, but I just couldn’t get on with it even though I desperately wanted to...

Simon
    I agree that it's a bit fiddly, Simon. Never really bothered me, though, perhaps because I have relatively slim fingers and can therefore grip the crown easily. To be fair, I owned a B1 for some time and that was far superior in terms of adjustments. I kind of wish i still had it - it was the last one sold in the UK (by AMJ, from memory).

Last edited by learningtofly; 4th April 2020 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I agree that it's a bit fiddly, Simon. Never really bothered me, though, perhaps because I have relatively slim fingers and can therefore grip the crown easily. To be fair, I owned a B1 for some time and that was far superior in terms of adjustments. I kind of wish i still had it - it was the last one sold in the UK (by AMJ, from memory).
    I think for me, wearing the watch on my right wrist amplified the frustration (plus it was an extremely popular watch in my old office). The B1 is lovely.

I have a similar view - one or the other. A superbly executed digi is a very satisfying watch I think. Not a big fan of the X-33 in general - though I think the newer one looks better. Oh the Z-33 was underloved, a bit too quirky?

I like that.

Master

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhh! Lovely. I'd forgotten about those.

I absolutely love the Z-33! Part of the charm is it looks like it's straight out of a seventies sci-fi movie. So cool and unique looking.

Would kill to try one on in person. I'm pretty sure it would be way too thick for me to get away with wearing on my skinny wrist, that's the only thing that has always stopped me planning on fitting one into my collection at some point.

It is the only ana-digi I really love though. If only it was slimmer I'd have sold almost everything in my collection to get one of these years ago.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 4th April 2020 at 10:22.

A bit too massive in my case, as I like everything else about it. I love flightmasters but this takes the pilot line case style to a level that is unwearable for me, with an overall height of 19.85mm.

Image from Fratello: https://www.fratellowatches.com/omeg...nds-on-review/

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I love a good anal-digit.
    One for a slightly different forum I think. :D

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    One for a slightly different forum I think. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    A bit too massive in my case, as I like everything else about it. I love flightmasters but this takes the pilot line case style to a level that is unwearable for me, with an overall height of 19.85mm.

Image from Fratello: https://www.fratellowatches.com/omeg...nds-on-review/
    The reviewer was quite favourable with the watch however. Reminds me, would love to own a flightmaster at some point. Should do it sooner rather than later!

I always like to have one ‘high end’ ana-digital in the collection, I’ve had most of them over the years, Breitling B1’s, Airwolf’s, B50’s, B55, Omega X33, Z33 but the one i always come back to is the Breitling Aerospace, the Evo Aerospace Night Mission is as good as it gets for me when it comes to an ana-digital, surprisingly it’s far more accurate too than the newer technology Breitling used in their B50 and B55 that I owned even though they cost considerably more.

Master
    Ana-Digital for me...

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    I like that.

I like the Z33 also

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Niss View Post
    I like the Z33 also

What size wrist do you have, any more pics you'd like to share with us? Can never get enough of this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    What size wrist do you have, any more pics you'd like to share with us? Can never get enough of this watch.
    About 7 inch. No more photos I'm afraid as I am self isolating and just found this picture on my phone.

I would love to find the perfect ana-digi, but it still eludes me.
    Nothing I have found so far has the ideal set of features, in terms of intuitive control, WR, large digi display and so forth.
    X-33 - poor WR
    Seiko Arnie (re-edition) - no countdown, too small on the digi
    Aerospace - no second hand - I mean - WTF????
    A B1 may be a possibility.

D

Edit, B1 - no - 50m WR again
    Last edited by sweets; 4th April 2020 at 11:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Niss View Post
    About 7 inch. No more photos I'm afraid as I am self isolating and just found this picture on my phone.

Understood. How do you find the height, a non issue to you or do you occasionally look at it and question if it just looks a bit too extreme?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Understood. How do you find the height, a non issue to you or do you occasionally look at it and question if it just looks a bit too extreme?
    It is quite high but it doesn't put me off. I like the look of it and I don't knock it more than others. The watch I am wearing today is quite hefty also but not Ana/digi.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Nothing I have found so far has the ideal set of features, in terms of intuitive control, WR, large digi display and so forth.
    X-33 - poor WR

D

You can show seconds on the digital display. Not an issue for most, I imagine.

You can show seconds on the digital display. Not an issue for most, I imagine.
    I know that Tony, but for me a modern dial looks a bit wrong with no ticking seconds on it.
    I have watches without running seconds (EZM1 for instance) but they have chronograph hands to compensate. It is only PAMs and other very trad designs that look "right" as two-handers rather than 3, to me at least.
    D

I suspect that if there’s one watch that could tempt me to give ana-digi another try, Tony, it would be a B1.

Simon

I suspect that if there’s one watch that could tempt me to give ana-digi another try, Tony, it would be a B1.

Simon
    I don’t blame you. In hindsight, it’s right up there with the Aerospace.

I know that Tony, but for me a modern dial looks a bit wrong with no ticking seconds on it.
    I have watches without running seconds (EZM1 for instance) but they have chronograph hands to compensate. It is only PAMs and other very trad designs that look "right" as two-handers rather than 3, to me at least.
    D
    Not sure that warrants the fairly extreme reaction in your earlier post, but point taken

Not sure that warrants the fairly extreme reaction in your earlier post, but point taken
    Maybe not Tony, I was not intending it to be an "extreme" reaction, more of a suprised one.
    But I still do not understand why it is not there.

X-33 - poor WR

D

G-shock mudmaster?

There's a Z33 on ebayUK for anyone interested = £2,650.

The interest in ana-digi especially the X-33 shows that Omega are missing a trick.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    There's a Z33 on ebayUK for anyone interested = £2,650.

The interest in ana-digi especially the X-33 shows that Omega are missing a trick.
    Other than the size of the thing (X-33 skywalker), missing a trick in what way?

Blog Entries
    I wrote this comparison a while ago. 2006 if memory serves correctly.

B-1_X-33_compare_final.pdf

hope it proves useful to anyone looking.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Other than the size of the thing (X-33 skywalker), missing a trick in what way?
    I was under the impression that Omega no longer manufacture the X-33. I am happy to be corrected.

Simon
    I like mine.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

After fighting against the Aerospace for a long time, I eventually caved in to the charms of the Night Mission:

It’s part of my diversification of what would otherwise be a collection of the usual mechanical suspects, and I absolutely adore it. It’s incredibly accurate, useful, wearable, a great travel watch, and it looks awesome. I do have a background worry about long term costs, but I’m enjoying it here and now

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    After fighting against the Aerospace for a long time, I eventually caved in to the charms of the Night Mission:

It’s part of my diversification of what would otherwise be a collection of the usual mechanical suspects, and I absolutely adore it. It’s incredibly accurate, useful, wearable, a great travel watch, and it looks awesome. I do have a background worry about long term costs, but I’m enjoying it here and now

Dave

These are about the only Breitling I think I would like to own. I just checked the price on Jura - wow, they're not as affordable as I'd hoped. Lovely looking watch though!

Analogue or Digital

These are my 2
    The one on the left was the watch I wore every day for school!
    The watch on the right was my (well a watch like it - I lost the original when p1ssed) 18th birthday present.