closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bulgari Octo Finissimo Automatic Satin-Polished Steel

Bulgari Octo Finissimo Automatic Satin-Polished Steel

The Octo Finissimo is a watch I've wanted to like. Alas the initial Titanium model that came out had a monochromatic look that I felt was far too subdued - I am a huge fan of the metal in watches, it just feels right, but even for me it came across too bland. It also seemed to make the watch look too 'boxy' on the wrist (the same goes for the gold and then matt steel). Below from monochrome, you can see what I mean -

Then they released the satin steel version and by golly the watch is absolutely transformed. It looks fantastic!!! The brilliant Jack Forster has a hands on review of the watch - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...steel-in-depth

What do people think? For under $12,000 I think it stands up rather nicely to some of its more illustrious competitors - with a coherent design language that cannot be mistaken for anything other than Bvlgari, and I also think it looks more handsome than the similarly priced Chopard Eagle. I definitely want to try this on

Love the Octo Finissimo in all of its iterations; were it my cash I would go titanium, as this seems the ultimate expression of the watch's pared-back elegance. That said, I am a clumsy oaf, so brushed stainless looks a good bet for wearing the knocks well and easier refurbing if desired ... then again the ceramic option would repel most scratches...

Hell with what anyone else thinks: buy the watch that speaks to you, and by the sound of your post, that's the brushed version. Hard to see how you could go wrong with any of 'em.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did try the titanium and gold models while on a Cruise in November, I was really impressed but more so with the titanium, it felt so comfortable on the wrist, and so light, I was also impressed to how thin they are.

I was really tempted but had just treated myself to my new Portuguese Chronograph
    Last edited by hilly10; 4th April 2020 at 07:46.

For me, what raises this one above the others more than anything else is the black dial. The case-coloured dials of the other three illustrated always look rather naff to my eye, making the watches reminiscent of the sort of piece you might find in the counter display at TK Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    For me, what raises this one above the others more than anything else is the black dial. The case-coloured dials of the other three illustrated always look rather naff to my eye, making the watches reminiscent of the sort of piece you might find in the counter display at TK Maxx.
    I think you make a very good point about the dial - colour contrast has definitely helped a lot.

I'm a big fan of all the different iterations of the Octo Finissimo, particularly the titanium and the ceramic versions.

Importantly, this new brushed steel version has 100m water resistance and a screwdown crown. It's a bit cheaper too! Love that black dial.

Master
    I don't know if I would ever buy one but I sure do like them and appreciate the design and the movement.

I like both this one and the titanium. A great duo for any collection.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    I'm a big fan of all the different iterations of the Octo Finissimo, particularly the titanium and the ceramic versions.

Importantly, this new brushed steel version has 100m water resistance and a screwdown crown. It's a bit cheaper too! Love that black dial.
    Yes, good point with the increased water resistance - worth the very minor height increase to accommodate the screwdown crown.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I don't know if I would ever buy one but I sure do like them and appreciate the design and the movement.

I like both this one and the titanium. A great duo for any collection.
    As you correctly point out, it is interesting - you don't have to like it, but it shows the current state of herd mentality that a thread about R pricing gets over 3 pages and we're barely scraping 10 posts about this beautiful watch.

Craftsman
    This is the first one of these that I actually quite like the look of. The other sandblasted monotone ones are just too flat to me, probably a result of how thin it is. Don't think i would ever get one though

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I’ve posted before about how amazing these are. I would take one over any PP or AP sports, at least from a design and finesse perspective

The street price (Chrono24) is about the same as a Rolex GMT, and horologically, I think the Octa Finissimo is a much more desirable watch. I hope to see one in the flesh soon

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Think I’d have the steel but with the white face, tried a couple of titanium watches recently and couldn’t get on with the lack of weight, used to a-lump of steel hanging on my wrist and it felt wrong, still, I’d take any one in a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Think I’d have the steel but with the white face, tried a couple of titanium watches recently and couldn’t get on with the lack of weight, used to a-lump of steel hanging on my wrist and it felt wrong, still, I’d take any one in a gift.
    I have 4 titanium watches. All I can say about the 'weight' aspect - you get used to it! Once I got over that, I've started to have a preference of the metal - it 'feels' better on skin.

So If Bvlgari fancy the work of polishing titanium, I'd be well up for that version

Craftsman

Octo

I am sure I read that the Bulgari Octo is one of the best selling watch ranges in the World right now (Pre. Covid) and the 38mm Soletempo along with the Finissimo have certainly got my attention.

Bit more commentary on the new steel version from Fabrizio Buonamassa (design director at Bulgari)

https://timeandtidewatches.com/bulga...-video-review/

I think it looks a bit clumsy with the round bezel with the octagons inside and outside. I do appreciate that they're thinking outside the box, but I think the Chopard Alpine Eagle is a much nicer looking watch.

Craftsman
    I love the watch, it would be black ceramic or skelital for me if I can get a serious deal.
    Does anyone know Is there a outlet/ad discount/airport that offers deals?
    Bvlgari always seem to be discounted for some reason

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by irish ger View Post
    I love the watch, it would be black ceramic or skelital for me if I can get a serious deal.
    Does anyone know Is there a outlet/ad discount/airport that offers deals?
    Bvlgari always seem to be discounted for some reason

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app
    The ceramic is a very unique look, though I hear the links can be a bit fragile. No idea on discounts. Sorry.

I am still utterly loving this watch and even the original variants looking back, but I think the satin finishing really adds. Absolutely gorgeous.

Apprentice
    Wasn't a watch i'd seen much of, but looking at the models available the S/S black chronograph is an absolute steal at that money. I could see it becoming a classic like the AP RO and Nautilus in years to come.

Tried an all Steel one in London a couple of months back and have to say the fit and fluidity of the bracelet is unmatched.

It is stunning and just so comfortable under a shirt cuff on the wrist..Not a fan of the others but the all Steel hits the spot

You really do have to hold one to realise just how thin the watch is.. Pictures do not do the watch justice.

I didn't buy one as its just another piece that i would love to own but you cant have them all they are a considered purchase for me and already own far too many watches..

But that said if and when pre owned become more reasonable then i will get one without doubt.
    Last edited by SteveM112; 16th April 2020 at 07:34.

I don’t know about future classic but a very good looking and distinctive watch.
    They also released a tourbillion version which is a fail IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I don’t know about future classic but a very good looking and distinctive watch.
    They also released a tourbillion version which is a fail IMO.
    I think looking back it has a very good chance to be a future classic - a coherent design language and a bit divisive. I agree on the tourbillon version, though the openwork variants look pretty good.

Master
    I saw the ti version in lhr not long after they were released and was instantly smitten, given the spare cash I’d have one in a heartbeat. But then I do have a soft spot for ti watches in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I saw the ti version in lhr not long after they were released and was instantly smitten, given the spare cash I’d have one in a heartbeat. But then I do have a soft spot for ti watches in general.
    I'm in the same camp - I have a soft spot for titanium. Though I think the polishing and contrast dial works better than the mono look of the ti version. Been a while since I looked at the Ti version however, must go and try again after lockdown