closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: With the good weather - name your outdoor hobbies!

Blog Entries

With the good weather - name your outdoor hobbies!

Assuming you can get outside. . .

I am going to kick this off:

It will be warm enough to have a good look inside my two bee hives and check how my little busy-bees have been doing. It has been many months since I've been able to check them over. I've had a quick look in some brief sunshine and saw brood which was encouraging - but I'll be looking out for the queen bee.

This was me a couple of years ago..

Happy weekend all if you can get a bit of sun it brightens the soul.

Martyn

Master
    Clay shooting, wednesdays at Marne Barracks and sundays anywhere from hartlepool to the midlands with special incursions to further grounds. Meeting the lads in my car groups for a drive out or just breakfast.

Just bought my son one of these so we can have fun in the garden during lock down, guess RC Cars will be my new hobby this summer:

Also beekeeping, 4 hives, gave them all some fondant a fortnight ago, all active today.

I'm thinking of a set of Boules for the coming weeks.

Master
    Washed all my mankini's so with the good weather this weekend i shall wear mine in the garden.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My TR6 and any other Classic Car

Outdoor hobbies are mountain biking and running. Skiing too if that's allowed. I also ride a road bike occasionally but that's mainly for mountain bike or run fitness so more of a 'means to an end'. And walking too - I don't climb as such but I'll sometimes find myself sat somewhere most people couldn't get to.

Craftsman
    Growing moderately complicated chillis in a poly-tunnel at my allotment. Also strawberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    Growing moderately complicated chillis in a poly-tunnel at my allotment. Also strawberries.
    What’s a complicated chilli? Curious as I’m no expert but have dozen or so varieties on the go this year. What stage are yours at, wondering whether I’m behind where they should be.

Normally Cricket and golf but think it will be gardening this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    My TR6 and any other Classic Car
    Kicking my Porsche and TR into life today. The workshop is now closed on Saturdays so I have time, space and tools all for myself. Technically, not an outdoor hobby at the moment.

Pressure washing the patio one of these days and walking, walking, cycling

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What’s a complicated chilli? Curious as I’m no expert but have dozen or so varieties on the go this year. What stage are yours at, wondering whether I’m behind where they should be.
    Ah nothing fancy really, mostly chocolate habaneros, ghost jolokias, Friar's hat & fatalis. No expert either, but I've had an allotment for 7-8 years now, so reasonably competent at growing things. Mine are still in propagators at the moment, am having to dismantle my old greenhouse, so have just ordered a temporary GroZone thing for the garden until I can build a shiny new poly tunnel. What stage are yours at?

Quote Originally Posted by Jari37 View Post
    Ah nothing fancy really, mostly chocolate habaneros, ghost jolokias, Friar's hat & fatalis. No expert either, but I've had an allotment for 7-8 years now, so reasonably competent at growing things. Mine are still in propagators at the moment, am having to dismantle my old greenhouse, so have just ordered a temporary GroZone thing for the garden until I can build a shiny new poly tunnel. What stage are yours at?
    Got most of my seeds from Fatalii this year. Just potted on from 7cm (where sown) to 11cm pots. Haven't got greenhouse or similar so put them out on day like today bring them in at night (much to Mrs K's annoyance). Doing well, some up to 18cm tall and flower buds showing.

Hobbies now include - going out for a daily walk :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Well there is no rugby so can’t watch, play or even head down to training
    The shooting grounds I use are closed so that’s that off the list and the Willy’s needs a bit more work at the moment than I am capable of so that’s also off the list...
    There is always beer I guess.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 4th April 2020 at 13:28.

Furring😆

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 19 yo car needs the full monty - wash, strip pollutants, polish (anticipated), wax, stand back then have a cup of tea

The usual, walking Dot and gardening.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Clay shooting, wednesdays at Marne Barracks and sundays anywhere from hartlepool to the midlands with special incursions to further grounds. Meeting the lads in my car groups for a drive out or just breakfast.
    How will you manage all that in lock down?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I was thinking the same thing

Master
    We have our daily walk - lucky to live in a beautiful village called Abbotsham and are minutes away from Greencliff which is a stunning walk and very deserted as of late. Have also taken up gardening which I’m quite enjoying. Washed the cars. Painting the garage. Generally doing a lot,of things that I’ve never done.

Still enjoying your honey too Martyn :-)

Master

i didnt really read the question, its all a dream at the moment, Current pastimes, sprucing up the house, 3 rooms in the last fortnight and doing all the outstanding jobs on my cars, including making new shorter ride height sensor brackets. Eventually im going to run out of parts and materials i have in stock so then its box sets, Band of Brothers in a day!

The usual, walking Dot and gardening.
    You take your Alexa device for a walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    Just bought my son one of these so we can have fun in the garden during lock down, guess RC Cars will be my new hobby this summer:

Hi thorien. Sorry to hijack the thread but can I buy your iPhone in the sales area? I can't access the site due to me being a newbie!
    Humphrey

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Also beekeeping, 4 hives, gave them all some fondant a fortnight ago, all active today.
    Glad to see another beekeeper here! If you can send some pictures feel free! I am waiting till Sunday to open the hives up as it was just still a little chilly today though nice in the sunshine. Once it gets above 14C should be comfortable to have a good rummage!

M

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    You take your Alexa device for a walk?
    No.

This is Dot.

Cheers,
    Neil.

I've quite a number of these to look after which gives me some much needed fresh air in the garden

That is magnificent. I wish I had the patience to grow something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    That is magnificent. I wish I had the patience to grow something like that.
    This one I've had for just over twenty years now and it's one of my favourites, as it started life with me when I bought it for for about £1.50 form Safeways all those years ago. I've acquired a few over the years now but this one is like an old friend...

Master
    I'd like my outdoor hobby to be swinging a breaker bar at people that can only stop counting / measures after 1m, particularly at cyclists; but I am open to all sorts.

I've been teaching myself to fly a small 18g drone in the garden & loving it, want a racing drone next to play with but garden isn't quite large enough so something to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    I've quite a number of these to look after which gives me some much needed fresh air in the garden

Wow. Really like that and now something I never knew I wanted till now.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

With the good weather - name your outdoor hobbies!

This one I've had for just over twenty years now and it's one of my favourites, as it started life with me when I bought it for for about £1.50 form Safeways all those years ago. I've acquired a few over the years now but this one is like an old friend...
    That is fantastic, what is it please - did you buy it for bonsai?

Privet?

Callisthenics - so glad I built myself a frame in my back garden a few years ago.

Master
    No.

This is Dot.

I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating. She truly is a beautiful hound and a wonderful example of the breed. She also looks incredibly feisty and mischievous.

Craftsman
    Barbecuing and outdoor cooking for me. Have a Kamado grill that I got in autumn last year, so now trying brisket, Boston butt, smoked ribs, etc and a load of other new dishes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    My 19 yo car needs the full monty - wash, strip pollutants, polish (anticipated), wax, stand back then have a cup of tea
    I miss-read car as cat....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I miss-read car as cat....
    I missed the word car entirely 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    That is fantastic, what is it please - did you buy it for bonsai?

Privet?
    That one is a Chinese Elm, Ulma Parvifolia, one of the most agreeable trees to work with as Bonsai as they are tough as hell and respond very well to the 'clip and grow' method of Bonsai cultivation which does not use wire to train the tree, just continual fine pruning.

I bought it originally as one of the very cheap type of bonsai that you see in supermarkets and normally I wouldn't buy them for anything other than for cuttings, but this one had that something which has proved itself by developing into this lovely specimen in twenty years. Give it another fifty years and it should be a serious tree, I just need to find someone to pass it onto when I pop my clogs to continue the work. That's the trouble with starting off bonsai, you don't see them at their best which comes a few decades or centuries down the line...

It's a great hobby though with many aspects, you can spend a great deal of money buying established trees, chop large trees down and style into bonsai or you can pop out in the garden and start one from a cutting like this hawthorn that I started work on a little while ago and which now looks stunning when in flower...

That is fantastic Mike, what a great hobby. Seeing your tree in flower just makes the whole miniaturisation of trees even more fascinating to me. I enjoy a bit of gardening but have always been a tree lover, preferring to prune and fuss over trees much more than just regular plants. I had a Moreton Bay Fig Bonsai when I was younger that I must have had for ten years until I got sent away with work and it dried out, never to recover.

Are there any recommendations you can make on where to buy a good Bonsai online, and what might be most suitable for indoors in a brightly lit room?

Cheers

No.

This is Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating. She truly is a beautiful hound and a wonderful example of the breed. She also looks incredibly feisty and mischievous.
    Thanks Bikky.

She is gorgeous - and definitely feisty and mischievous like all BT's!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

Are there any recommendations you can make on where to buy a good Bonsai online, and what might be most suitable for indoors in a brightly lit room?

Cheers
    I'm not really involved with bonsai that grow indoors, though some species like Chinese Elm or Ficus Retusa do quite well and I have one Ficus that I've had for twenty years and that's still going strong but it does spend some of the summer outdoors..

There are a few decent online shops and some poor ones but I would really recommend the following two:-

https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/ great for trees, tools, soils, fertilisers and just about everything Bonsai

https://www.herons.co.uk/ the same

Both of these are well established and will really look after you and give you good advice. If you do decide to go ahead and do need advice at any time, just give me a shout.

All I'm doing at the moment is DIY / gardening, walking the dog, or cycling.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    A lot of weekends and after work during the week I like to get out in the fields doing a spot of metal detecting, unfortunately all on hold at the moment obviously, might see if I can start getting about ten years worth of finds into some sort of order.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    All I'm doing at the moment is DIY / gardening, walking the dog, or cycling.
    Yes. ^^^ this ^^^.

My wife and I have taken up walking as well. At least one hour a day. This weather comes with hay fever; I'm not allergic, but my wife is. So she has to 'fight the tears' when we go out for our walk. We live next to a park that's part of a 'string' of parks leading up to the Royal Palace gardens here in my town. So, a myriad of trees, shurbs etc.

I've pressure-washed my driveway, tomorrow the rear patios. And my TR is running again. It sprung to life with a few bangs and coughs; it hadn't run in more than a year... The petrol had gone off, so a short spluttery trip to the fuel station and with a tank full of fresh 98 RON, things are fine again.

The temps will even by higher by the end of the week, so a great moment to take the TR for a long trip.

I'm not really involved with bonsai that grow indoors, though some species like Chinese Elm or Ficus Retusa do quite well and I have one Ficus that I've had for twenty years and that's still going strong but it does spend some of the summer outdoors..

There are a few decent online shops and some poor ones but I would really recommend the following two:-

https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/ great for trees, tools, soils, fertilisers and just about everything Bonsai

https://www.herons.co.uk/ the same

Both of these are well established and will really look after you and give you good advice. If you do decide to go ahead and do need advice at any time, just give me a shout.
    Thanks Mike, very useful advice. Thinking about it there is no reason why the Bonsai could not spend summers outside. Looks like I have a goal for tomorrow now, appreciate the links

I like to metal detect,fish sea and freshwater and tinker with and ride my motorcycles,so basically I’ll not be doing any of my hobbies for a while..however I have always had a love for rc cars since I was a kid and have loads dotted around,so I ordered a new lipo battery and have been playing with one of my crawlers in the garden in between doing some diy jobs round the house.

Craftsman
    Taking this fellow for his daily walk