I bought my wife a Tag Heuer quartz aqua racer (men’s version but wears very slim) over 10 years ago in a sale. Believe it or not it cost just £300. Anyhow, it’s first battery died about 4 years ago, and as I just couldn’t get the back off even with a case opener I sent it back to Tag, waited about a month and £180 later (for a battery change and service) it was back. A few weeks ago the battery died again and having checked I could open the case back myself I just got a new Renata battery (expiry date 2025!)which I fitted it last night. Compared to the fiddly battery clips on an old g shock 5600 which I changed the night before, it was an absolute doddle. Took apart the bracelet, cleaned it all up, silicone lubed the gasket and it’s back in full working order. Wife is delighted, it took me about 30 mins all in and cost £2.27
But my question regards the service element - I have another old quartz Tag in a drawer where the movement appears to have seized, how often should a quartz movement be serviced or do they just chuck the old one and put in new? I’m hoping the wife’s watch lasts another 3 years on this battery but have no interest in spending £100’s on it if the movement grinds to a halt. What are other people’s experience of keeping an ‘expensive’ quartz watch going? I’ve told her if she wants a new one when this one does die, I’m not spending £1500 -£1800 on a replacement quartz Tag, she can have a Seiko Diver and be happy with it (this current watch looks fine but has so many micro-dents and abrasions the case almost looks beadblasted!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk