closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 74 of 74

Thread: An interesting development . . .

  1. #51
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    855
    Around 3 or 4 weeks ago I took the Sea Dweller off and left it in the safe. Haven't worn a watch since. Wearing an expensive material item on my wrist whilst having to make tough decisions at work which will drastically alter people's lives did not feel right.

    First time I have felt it would not be appropriate to have a friend on my wrist.

    Let's hope when some sense of normality returns we can all go back to enjoying our watches. At least those of us who are not currently doing so!



    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  2. #52
    Master Alansmithee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Burscough, UK
    Posts
    7,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Around 3 or 4 weeks ago I took the Sea Dweller off and left it in the safe. Haven't worn a watch since. Wearing an expensive material item on my wrist whilst having to make tough decisions at work which will drastically alter people's lives did not feel right.
    I feel the same - something not right about wondering what £5000 watch to wear while a global depression starts.

    I do not have a big collection but I'm thinking of selling pretty much everything (no PMs please - I don't sell here - too much drama) except an Seamaster that was my wedding gift, my Captain Cook and a dress watch for special occasions.

  3. #53
    Master aldfort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    9,003
    Enjoying wearing most of mine all of the time. Might even give my "opera chrono" a trip out. (You know - the watch you don't know why you bought )
    I took a break from TZ-UK but came back as recently so my Wis-dom is strong now!
    Going about my daily life largely unaffected except for having to use MS Teams a lot more.
    Garden is looking good and I'm shopping for "at risk" neighbours (...and I'm in an at risk catagory )

  4. #54
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    49
    I think It’s one thing to be sold on the idea of mobile learning (https://www.oxagile.com/competence/e...ing-solutions/), but executing it effectively is another matter. For educators who are designing an online course from scratch, creating a mobile-first program and then transitioning it to the desktop is usually easier than the other way around. Mobile courses have more constraints than desktop, so while some adjustments may need to be made, they tend to be minor.
    Last edited by Derrils; 19th May 2020 at 18:41.

  5. #55
    Journeyman Halitosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    129
    As Derrils bumped this thread back to the top I wonder how folk feel another month on.

    I think its 2 months today that I last worked in the office and haven't worn a 'proper' watch since - got a hand-me-down Fitbit from my wife and have become somewhat fixated with tracking my activity. No plans to sell any watches, still browse the forums, and assume I'll wear again when I start leaving the home

  6. #56
    Iíve bought more watches in the last few weeks than at any other time in my life. Iím working from home no problem and also have more time to browse and find a watch that I can call my own and just stop there - something Iíve been trying to do for a long time. I think Iíve done that now and can relax (I donít know if Iíd have had the patience to do this whilst at work, missing deliveries etc etc)

    I still wear my watch every day just like putting on clothes (although sometimes that comes later) and donít feel at all bad for wearing a nice watch whilst Iím out and about, like I assume many still drive their expensive cars and live in their houses and all. I spend less on watches a year than some spend on fags so why not?

  7. #57
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    18,549
    Several weeks into lockdown, like many Iíve travelled the emotional roller-coaster and continue to do so. Iíve been retired for several years so the changes to my routine gave been less pronounced, but those changes have had a profound effect on my state of mind and Ďfeelgood factorí.....or lack of! Against that backcloth the choice of watch to wear on any given day seems insignificant, but Iím still continuing to wear my decent stuff on a regular basis even thought this involves wearing a nice gold Ďgoing outí watch to simply mooch around the house and go for a 6 mile walk with Mrs W. On the ine hand it seems a bit pointless but on the other hand it constitutes actively pursuing a hobby and interest that I enjoy.

    As a part- time repairer I still retain a connection to watches from a totally different angle, Iím continuing to do some work but my enthusiasm is limited for no good reason other than the general gloom of the current situation.

    Like many, Iím teetering on the edge of depression some days, but my advice us to keep enjoying our hobbies in any small way we can. Even if it only lifts your mood by 5% itís worth having!

    Chins up.......get your nice watches out

  8. #58
    I don't understand not wearing a watch at home. I always have a watch on and feel naked without one.

  9. #59
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Several weeks into lockdown, like many Iíve travelled the emotional roller-coaster and continue to do so. Iíve been retired for several years so the changes to my routine gave been less pronounced, but those changes have had a profound effect on my state of mind and Ďfeelgood factorí.....or lack of! Against that backcloth the choice of watch to wear on any given day seems insignificant, but Iím still continuing to wear my decent stuff on a regular basis even thought this involves wearing a nice gold Ďgoing outí watch to simply mooch around the house and go for a 6 mile walk with Mrs W. On the ine hand it seems a bit pointless but on the other hand it constitutes actively pursuing a hobby and interest that I enjoy.

    As a part- time repairer I still retain a connection to watches from a totally different angle, Iím continuing to do some work but my enthusiasm is limited for no good reason other than the general gloom of the current situation.

    Like many, Iím teetering on the edge of depression some days, but my advice us to keep enjoying our hobbies in any small way we can. Even if it only lifts your mood by 5% itís worth having!

    Chins up.......get your nice watches out
    Paul I think your spot on I feel this whole coronavirus thing has definitely put a damper on everything you do whether working in the garden or the enthusiasm for things you love watches included.

  10. #60
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,139
    Between cancer surgery, convalescence and self-isolation Iíve been effectively confined to home since the 1st of February. Daily walks have been a lifesaver and Iím averaging about 12,000 steps a day according to my iPhone.

    As a small limited company owner with income predominantly through dividends I fall through the cracks between all the Government schemes, so Iíve also had no income at all since January. We are living on my wifeís income + savings, so belt tightening is the order of the day.

    On the watch front I am probably a more frequent visitor to the forum and my interest is undiminished. Iím still rotating through my watches every day, Iíve made two inexpensive purchases which have reduced the balance in my watch fund account to about 37p, and I have a list of 6 watches I will be selling once Iím able to go to the Post Office...

    Simon

  11. #61
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Between cancer surgery, convalescence and self-isolation Iíve been effectively confined to home since the 1st of February. Daily walks have been a lifesaver and Iím averaging about 12,000 steps a day according to my iPhone.

    As a small limited company owner with income predominantly through dividends I fall through the cracks between all the Government schemes, so Iíve also had no income at all since January. We are living on my wifeís income + savings, so belt tightening is the order of the day.

    On the watch front I am probably a more frequent visitor to the forum and my interest is undiminished. Iím still rotating through my watches every day, Iíve made two inexpensive purchases which have reduced the balance in my watch fund account to about 37p, and I have a list of 6 watches I will be selling once Iím able to go to the Post Office...

    Simon
    I wish you (and the others on this forum in delicate situations) all the best!

  12. #62
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    409
    I can sort of understand you op, the clasp my tag carrera was feeling a bit flimsy about a month ago so I decided not to risk it and put in in the drawer. Instead of taking out another watch I had a Casio beater lying around so I just put that on. Oddly enough enjoyed the lightness and the fact I donít have to worry about bashing it around. However this weekend I decided to take my Tudor gmt out and at first felt very heavy and strange but over a few hours it reminded me why I like this hobby and trying to convince myself that I definitely do not need some of the watches in the SC! These are tough and unprecedented times but for me it means we should enjoy our hobbies even more.

  13. #63
    Sorry to hear of your situation Simon. 12,000 steps per day must be some walk. I was averaging 9.5k on evening walks with my wife and that was taking over an hour. Hopefully the world will return to a form of normal soon and small business can return to work. Like others I've been really enjoying the cheaper end of the collection.

  14. #64
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    15,271
    I find I'm wearing more of my 'cheaper' watches since lockdown, but have no idea why!
    Cuidich 'n Righ

  15. #65
    Craftsman RAFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    859
    I've had a lot of time to think about life over the last few months. I was made redundant just before this all kicked off and have not been working since. I'm happy to say the time has been spent well, and I've progressed in ways I don't think would have been possible under normal circumstances. It hasn't changed my love of watches but I definitely see them, as well as other material things, as much less important.

    I do however like to wear a nice watch even though I am at home, and I also wear the clothes I'd normally wear rather than lounge wear, as keeping a bit of normality helps keep me sane.

  16. #66
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    North of LDN
    Posts
    35
    still happily wearing all mine in rotation just like normal - only they are spending more time in the sun :D

  17. #67
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,197
    I've been more focused on upgrading my working from home setup, which makes more difference to my quality of life currently. Some of my watches get worn on special occasions and they've been few and far between lately, so they stay in the box. It's the comfortable everyday watches that get worn, and searching for something new and fancy just to wear around the house seems a bit pointless.

    Mysteriously I find myself changing clothes more often, perhaps to create some kind of division between the working day and the evening. Sometimes I attempt to dress reasonably smartly, but finding I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go I revert to comfortable as the day goes on.

    I'm happy to look at pictures of new models, but that only goes so far when you can't actually see them in real life. Perhaps the fantasy that fuels watch buying involves imagining yourself in glamorous surroundings, even if it rarely actually happens. There's a reason those glossy adverts involve yachts, diving and masked balls, and not watching Netflix or trying to avoid random joggers while wearing a face mask.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 18th May 2020 at 17:54.

  18. #68
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I don't understand not wearing a watch at home. I always have a watch on and feel naked without one.
    Same here, as I have mentioned on other threads over the years, I don't like not having a watch on my wrist. I wear mine 24/7 & recently have been swapping watches frequently through the days I've been at home.


    Sent from my Nokia 3.1 using TZ-UK mobile app

  19. #69
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    8,487
    Since lockdown I've only been wearing a G-Shock Mudmaster, which is making me wonder what this watch madness is all about (apart from the expense obviously). in light of this pandemic, death, the economy and all the other life changing events now and into the future, my watch obsession seems rather "unnecessary" and "irrelevant" for now.

    Still love the forum mind.

    Umm...
    Last edited by Chinnock; 18th May 2020 at 20:15.

  20. #70
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    400
    A combination of long term illness, immune suppressive drugs and a body that doesnít respond well to being even a little bit poorly, mean it was the 18th March that I last left our little valley or the house, other than for a short dog walk in an evening when I feel up to it or to visit the hospital.

    However, that long term illness thing means I effectively retired about 18 months ago, so Iím used to my life changing quite a lot and Ďlockdown shieldingí hasnít made as much difference to me as maybe some others..

    Throughout all of the nonsense above, Iíve kept on wearing my watch collection. I tend to make a bit of an effort for hospital visits, seeing as theyíre a day out, so the good stuff might even come out. If I was an inpatient, Iíd likely wear one of the beaters. At home I rotate through the collection and recently Iíve even dug out some that havenít seen the light of day for ages!

    Wearing my watches, while browsing the forum has helped pass the time. The SC is ever tempting....


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  21. #71
    I bought a new watch.

    ...
    BUBI 0_0

  22. #72
    Craftsman bigmul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NE29
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I find I'm wearing more of my 'cheaper' watches since lockdown, but have no idea why!
    I'm exactly the same...G-shock / Garmin / Seiko Arnie. Nothing else!

  23. #73
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    140
    Lockdown, or rather working from home, has only further fomented my passion, and I've made two purchases since this started, and am considering the viability of a third.

  24. #74
    Has made me question do I really need all my watches or anymore?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information