closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An interesting development . . .

An interesting development . . .

Hello.

Hope everyone is well.

With everything that's going on in the world, my life-long fixation with watches has unexpectedly subsided.

I stuck a cheapo beater on a NATO at the beginning of all this and I haven't looked back.

I still drop in and out of the Forum for a nose and I don't expect I'll never buy another watch but my other obsessive behaviour has ground to a halt.

Just seems like lots of other stuff is much more important now.

I wondered if anyone else has had a similar epiphany.

Cheers,
    Martin

Yes, massively. I expect the interest to be rekindled once all reverts to normal, although I doubt I'll have any money to buy anything!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Go_Getter View Post
    Hello.

Hope everyone is well.

With everything that's going on in the world, my life-long fixation with watches has unexpectedly subsided.

I stuck a cheapo beater on a NATO at the beginning of all this and I haven't looked back.

I still drop in and out of the Forum for a nose and I don't expect I'll never buy another watch but my other obsessive behaviour has ground to a halt.

Just seems like lots of other stuff is much more important now.

I wondered if anyone else has had a similar epiphany.

Cheers,
    Martin
    Hi Martin, I am almost certain that a large majority of people can relate to your situation and things like this kind of put things into perspective.

I hope for everybody's sake that things improve and we begin to see an end to this sad situation.

Mike

I don’t think I’ve worn a watch in a week.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I only wear mine when i go out of an evening as i work in construction and have a pro trek for that. Not going out much so not seen any of them in a fortnight.Not missing them either.

Master
    100%. Has put a totally different perspective on everything for me. Watches are nice trinkets but in the scale of things mean nothing. The other side of this I can see me selling up the majority and using the money in other ways to do the things I've always put off. This isn't a rehearsal and we only get one chance at it, I think I've only come around to realising that.

Yes and no.

On one hand I am certainly not contemplating buying anything (and like Tony I will definitely have less money when this pandemic is over!) and I'm not thinking about the 3 or 4 watches I probably need to sell because I know I can't go to the Post Office to post anything and SC seems to be slowly grinding to a halt!

On the other hand I'm pretty much having a nose around the forum every day simply out of general interest and a certain degree of boredom!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I don’t think I’ve worn a watch in a week.
    I took off my watch about two weeks ago when I got home from the last day in the office and have not put one on since...

Just bought my 4th MM300 from the forum and couldn't be happier!

Most of the time it feels like business as usual, my daughter is a Healthcare Professional with the NHS and has just been 'ordered' to work seven days a week and the wife works at a school and although on the News they suggest schools are shut, she is still full time and hasn't had a single day at home. They opened the other day for one pupil!! There is talk of her staying home on the 80% pay arrangement, but it hasn't happened yet.

That means during the day it's just the dog and I as usual. I'm still going out most days for a long walk, so it all feels slightly surreal. As such, it has had no real impact on watch enthusiasm. I do appreciate that with what is happening to many others, both health wise and financially, I am very lucky.

I am down to one watch now and I doubt that I will be able to afford to indulge myself as I used to when we return to something approximating normality. This has ruined me financially, I still have a small shareholding in the business I pumped all my available resources into which had just begun to make progress before all of this and will now take a very long time to recover if at all. I've now gone back to working in healthcare. Apart from the financial hit and now lost opportunity of retiring before I'm 70, Im actually a lot happier!
    Last edited by Velorum; 3rd April 2020 at 13:47.

Being stuck indoors hasn't affected me too much and keeping fit to me is more important than watches, however, I'm starting to tinker around by fixing a couple of watches, so I've replaced a capacitor, ordered some batteries to replace dud watches, and quite enjoying it.
    I'm lucky to have such a caring lady in my life too.... so things not too bad.

Master
    I have only been able to summon the enthusiasm to wear a G Shock in the last week. Like others I suspect the funds and enthusiasm for watches will be slimmer “on the other side”. I did toy with the idea of an Apple Watch but have rejected that. Maybe eventually we will all have them or similar for health monitoring; until then I’ll steer clear.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I am down to one watch now and I doubt that I will be able to afford to indulge myself as I used to when we return to something approximating normality. This has ruined me financially, I still have a small shareholding in the business I pumped all my available resources into which had just begun to make progress before all of this and will now take a very long time to recover if at all. I've now gone back to working in healthcare. Apart from the financial hit and now lost opportunity of retiring before I'm 70, Im actually a lot happier!
    Chapeau for the attitude!

Blog Entries
    Opposite - I now have extra time to fixate on this hobby - but not planning to make major investments I want to learn more about horology etc. TV shows make my mind go numb. I have got other interests but this continues to be one. Cheers all. Martyn.

The major difference is I no longer wear a watch to work, I’m not really sure why but in my mind it feels like another way of spreading the virus... that’s probably just silly, but I’m very conscious that when I’m working in other peoples homes, I can’t be sure that they are as vigilant as they could be, so I do worry about contamination.

What that has meant though is when I’m at home waiting for a job or when I return home I am more enthusiastic about my ‘non work’ watches then ever, more time on my hands I guess?

I bought a new watch just before lockdown, I’ve no plans to buy right now... but I’m still looking!!

Master
    I just said to my partner ‘Yeah, weekend !’, to which she replied ‘it’s all the same, what’s the difference’.

I don’t think I realised how the construct of the typical working day was so connected with a watch and time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

On the other hand I'm pretty much having a nose around the forum every day simply out of general interest and a certain degree of boredom!

Simon

Agreed

Only watch I have worn since this started is a Citizen...don't really feel like wearing the usual suspects. More concerned with starting my volunteering to help the eldery, etc...Leeds City Council taking their time to organise. Maybe this suggests they are inundated with volunteers which is a good thing!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Not worn a watch for two weeks but the forum is a nice distraction to all that's going on. I'm currently furloughed for a month, with an uncertain future after that. My wife is a key worker, a job she started 18months ago taking a massive wage cut to start a new career. Financially poorer but much more rewarding in other ways. My days are a mix of home schooling (I'm struggling with maths for ten year olds!), diy, cooking then Finishing the day with a family walk.
    I'm really enjoying my days and I don't mean that to sound flippant in the current situation, I have concerns for the future but that's largely out of my control.
    Once this is all over I may indulge in a little treat for myself, but it will be vostock budget if you get my drift.

Nothing has changed for me regarding my watch wearing habits. Woke up with my new (to me) Oris 65 on, went for a 9km walk with the Mrs. around some local lanes wearing it. Came back, changed into my g-shock for garden work, will put the 65 or one of my turtles on for this evening.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Been wearing a Garmin of late to track runs etc nowadays. When I want to wear something else, it's usually an inexpensive quartz. Others stay in the box.

Been browsing for any good watch deals though.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ll always wear a watch. It’s as natural and necessary for me as putting on my specs, brushing my teeth and making myself presentable. I’ve spent all day rushing around like a blue arsed fly (all work related) and I needed to keep track of time. I’ve never been one for faffing around with changing my watch during the day.
    Life isn’t normal for anyone at this time and it’s going to be a long time before normality returns. I worry for the health of friends, family and colleagues, less so for myself.

I’m looking at making a purchase when things normalise.
    I’m on the intubation team that is tubing the sickest COVID patients and putting them on ventilators.
    My wife has promised me a new watch when it’s over so I’m considering a DOXA (hope I’m still around to claim it!)

I’m still rotating my modest collection with the g-shock getting more wear than usual. I’m really appreciating the forum at the moment as I live on my own so thanks to everyone for their continued contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changed for me. Rather than a Seamaster or Breitling or whatever I’d had worn the office I’m reaching for my smart watch (Huawei GT2) to track my cross trainer workouts and make sure I’m hitting my 10k steps per day!

Will often change to something on a nato for evenings, CWC or Pulsar military typically

Journeyman
    I wear my GMT all times expect bed time

Journeyman
    I find myself wearing more of my weekend watches for some reason... hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    My interest hasn't waned, the forum provides a nice way to detract from everything else going on. I also haven't worn a watch for the past two weeks, but often find I don't when I'm home in normal circumstances.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I’m on the intubation team that is tubing the sickest COVID patients and putting them on ventilators.
    My wife has promised me a new watch when it’s over so I’m considering a DOXA (hope I’m still around to claim it!)
    I’m sure I speak for everybody here when I say that you and all your colleagues have our deepest respect and admiration!

My Sub has been put in the safe and I’ve being wearing my SKX007 for last 2 weeks. Fantastic watch.

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    I’m sure I speak for everybody here when I say that you and all your colleagues have our deepest respect and admiration!
    +1

Craftsman
    I’m finding that I’m only wearing my quartz watches - no clue why but I’m enjoying it.

Recently put a new battery in my Tag F1 quartz after a few years off so I’ve been swapping between that and my Scurfa.

I don’t know if it’s coincidental but I’m really appreciating my simple, cheapest watches right now. I think they are, in my ways, truer to what the hobby really means to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I don’t know if it’s coincidental but I’m really appreciating my simple, cheapest watches right now. I think they are, in my ways, truer to what the hobby really means to me.

That was exactly what I was going to say. However I'm sure you did it with more eloquence than I would.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I was wearing my Marathon Navigator a lot a couple of weeks ago, but am now back to wearing my usual watches in rotation. Being away from the office is no reason to let standards slip!

Have been flirting with the idea of making a cheeky offer on a watch that a local jeweler has had in the window for at least 6 months, but a) they're closed and b) my long term investments aren't doing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I was wearing my Marathon Navigator a lot a couple of weeks ago, but am now back to wearing my usual watches in rotation. Being away from the office is no reason to let standards slip!

Have been flirting with the idea of making a cheeky offer on a watch that a local jeweler has had in the window for at least 6 months, but a) they're closed and b) my long term investments aren't doing so well.
    Do tell? What is the watch?

Like some others, I find coming on here to be a nice distraction.

I’m still working flat out (though from home now) so things don’t feel as unusual to me as they do to others.

An interesting development . . .

Quote Originally Posted by weaselid View Post
    That was exactly what I was going to say. However I'm sure you did it with more eloquence than I would.

Not sure about eloquent!
    I guess when something like this happens it gives an element of perspective. We need to appreciate what we have. Sometimes I become more obsessed about buying another watch that just stopping, taking stock and realising that a)watches don’t really matter and b)my simplest cheapest watch could be enjoyed just for what it is.
    What’’s the saying - true happiness is being content with what you have?

Last edited by TheGent; 4th April 2020 at 18:16.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This situation is grim but it’s getting personal now as my father in law who is in a care home with Parkinson’s is a suspected case. We have also both lost all our income and taken a bit of a financial spanking.

But we will be ok, not sure about dad but that’s out of our control. Hardest part is we can’t visit him.

Looking at this forum is a welcome distraction, wearing my BB58 full time at present.

For me watches have become more and more of an interest as I use this place and my interest in watches as an escape from the reality of the moment.
    I’m like many where I’ve been hit financially I’m out of work until September at the earliest we think. So yeah there’ll be no big purchases in the foreseeable.

Hoping the best for you and family, Montello.

For me, I am as busy as ever so Monday to Friday this mostly passes me by - I now work in construction of supply chain infrastructure across the EU so am classed as a key worker, and I can travel around and to site etc. - plus can do most of my work from home via video and conf calls.

I did about 4 days without a watch and only noticed it a few times. I have a new Sub on the way but it feels both good, and a bit trivial right now.
    I’m wearing an old quartz Seiko now, and all is well. I have stopped obsessing (and realised how much I did) over watches, drop into the forum but maybe a little less.

I love watches. I also know they are totally unimportant and this is reaffirming that.

Craftsman
    Although thinking about watches stops me obsessing with the news.

I'm another one who had been wearing my G-Shocks more than usual, although I have the Speedy out for the weekend. I find the GW-5000's hourly alarm beep helpful reminding me of the passing of time and structuring the day. Although I was sure yesterday was Thursday and not Friday! Automatics have taken a back seat, due to not going out the house.

My mum is 85 and my brother has COPD and asthma, so I do the shopping for both of them. I'm heading out tomorrow, but like last week, I don't like wearing a watch out of the house as it's another thing to clean when I get home. Risk minimisation is a thing!

As a self employed IT person with only one main client, who has had to close, I'm one of the 950,000 who has had to sign on. Who knows when this will be over. I'm luckier than many though, I've no mortgage and have savings, for the proverbial rainy day. Well it's pissing down now.

Take care everyone!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Not sure I understand why everyone is suddenly wandering around with no watch on. Seems odd to me. I’m enjoying my watches as much as at any other time. Don’t get why that would change just because you are at home

Sure I can see savings being hammered and some watches being sold to fill the void but I’ll still enjoy those that will remain. Horses for courses I guess

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Last week I was doing training and drills for this exact scenario, we are potentially going to have three teams performing this role. This week I am performing face fit testing for the FFP3 masks. Preparation, preparation, preparation.

While I never wear a watch at work, I am enjoying wearing my recently acquired (Thanks David!) MKII Cruxible, once home. Actually considering buying several NATO’s for it and rotating them through the laundry...

I was planning to purchase my first modern Tudor before all this kicked off. That currently feels like a unnecessary extravagance, not that my AD is open for business.

Still visiting the forum everyday though. This little community of ours feels all the more valuable in these trying times.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Not sure I understand why everyone is suddenly wandering around with no watch on. Seems odd to me.
    Me also, I don't understand being WIS but choosing not to wear one. Odd.

Master
    I am actually rotating more frequently and as a result some of the watches that I hadn’t worn for a while are getting some wrist time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post

I’m with you, seabiscuit and Rusty, I couldn’t not wear a watch ever! As I said on another thread, I’m rotating through my watches changing each day as I’ve always done and enjoying doing so.

It has caused me to recognise that there are 5 of my current collection that I should dispose of - not that I see any point in trying to sell anything at the moment...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    It becomes more noticeable via its absence.