closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First proper motorbike

Journeyman

First proper motorbike

Got my full licence not too long ago and now looking for a proper bike when the current situation blows over!

Went to Triumph North London just before the lockdown and think a used Bonneville T120 would be great. I'm 6'2 and felt it sat a bit better than the other classic bikes. I wouldn't be commuting via bike so it's mainly for otherwise getting around and weekend rides.

Any advice or suggestions on a first bike would be much appreciated!

Welcome, and well done on passing the test(s)! There's a long-running bike thread on here, so you need to get yourself over there and join in.

The T120 is a lovely bike. Have you tested the Speed Twin too? I'd also suggest that you consider a BMW R9T - similar heritage vibe and oodles pf power (and character).

Lovely guys over at Triumph North London - I bought two from them before the move from Hemel to Watford last summer.

I haven't tried one but was looking to book a test ride on the Triumph 1200 scrambler before lockdown.
    Having sat on one, it certainly suits a taller rider (I am 6ft and it felt quite tall).
    Go careful, a step striaght to 1200 is s big one.
    Dave

Having a motorbike licence you will now need to listen to the endless stream of;

"I'd kill myself if I had a bike"
    Or
    "I know a guy that was killed"
    Chat, from everyone, everywhere, for ever more.

It's the only object which I have that ilicits that morbidity response.

Congrats on passing the test.

Really is a good way to travel, and I contest it will make you a better and more empethetic driver too.

I think bikes are a bit like shoes, in that you really need multiple pairs for different situations.

I appreciate that's no help....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Once you can get out again, I would recommend trying out a number of bikes and see what you like. Looks and fit are probably most important, as if you love the way it looks and it comfortable to ride, then you’re much more likely to use it more.

I like a larger bike, and at over 6 foot a few current models just feel or look too cramped for me.

I ride an older larger Fireblade, R1200GS, and an Africa Twin DCT (auto, a bit like an overgrown adventure bike scooter, which I use for a lazy commute).

I love the looks of the R9T, and it has one of my favourite engines, but it’s a little small for my size.

You might also think about weight of the bike - if you are confident, then it might not be such an issue - but something like a 170-180kg middleweight, MT09, street triple etc. might be a lot more manageable for some over a larger 220-250kg bike. Especially if you need to pick it up after a drop.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm short and went straight to a R9T when I did DAS in 2018. I also then added a GS to the collection, which is a stretch for my 30" inside leg.

To a certain extent I think you can ride around a bike at the margins of size suitability, particularly if you are not using it daily for long commutes. I find the GS a little tiresome in city traffic as I can't flat foot the bike like I can the R9T, but on the open road it's such an easy bike to ride, so that's where I tend to ride it mainly.

Master
    Judging by many on here (including myself) the first bike is unlikely to be a keeper so buying second-hand makes a lot of sense. Just ask Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Judging by many on here (including myself) the first bike is unlikely to be a keeper so buying second-hand makes a lot of sense. Just ask Tony.

Master
    Abryant welcome to the madness that is motorcycling. For a watch forum there is a passionate biker following on here. If you follow the link Tony put at the beginning you will see not only Tony’s bike journey but many others.

Unfortunately the current climate makes test rides difficult BUT there has Never been a better time to research a new bike.

The Triumph designers have really dialled in the designs of their bike over the last 5 years, its hard to find a bad bike amongst them.
    Key mistakes I would suggest for a “mature” biker are
    1) You need to start small and work up eg get a 250 then a 650 then a 1000 ect
    2) Avoid powerfull bikes they will kill you
    3) As posted right above this expecting your first choice to be a keeper.

My suggestion is get into helicopter mode, think about , where do I want to ride, how many miles a day, do I want to tour or just a couple of hours on a Sunday. How much do I want to spend, which is important to me comfort or a sports bike position.

As bikers we spend equal amounts of time polishing adding extras and in Tony’s case photographing our steeds. So bike a bike that sings to you and you really like.

If you get it wrong as long as you buy right ( research before) then a swap to another bike will not be too costly

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Welcome, and well done on passing the test(s)! There's a long-running bike thread on here, so you need to get yourself over there and join in.

The T120 is a lovely bike. Have you tested the Speed Twin too? I'd also suggest that you consider a BMW R9T - similar heritage vibe and oodles pf power (and character).

Lovely guys over at Triumph North London - I bought two from them before the move from Hemel to Watford last summer.
    Agree with many of the comments so far on here. It's definitely worth reading Tony's thread from the very start (if you have enough time ;o)).

I would also caution jumping onto something too big/powerful too soon...it can quickly kill any new found confidence. My first bike after passing my test was a BMW R1200GS....I sold it a month later for something smaller.

The T120 though is a fairly gentle bike despite its size and it looks cool too. 2nd hand is definitely the way to go.

Whether you buy it or not, can we see a picture of you on a Grom please?

I am short of leg, but ride a BMW R1200GS Adventure. When I am wobbling to a stop on a heavily laden bike with a pillion, I often wish I had been born six feet tall instead of rich and good looking.

The GS is a really good all round bike. Fantastic for touring. The Adventure has a real presence about it. Try one. You might be surprised.

Craftsman
    Not much to add that hasn't already been said. I ride mainly sports bikes. Currently have a fireblade, the advice I might add is test ride for a few hours get the miles in. Go back more than once if needed. I've had my heart set on a few bikes in the past and only after testing for a good amount of miles did I realise they weren't for me. Ergonomically I got back pains when I wasn't expecting, or they were too wrist heavy, or odd things like my knees rubbed the tank at a specific angle when braking.
    You won't figure this out on a quick 20 mins blast.

Master
    One thing: bikes are bought with the heart. So get what sings to you most. If you are happy on the bike, it makes for a confident rider. And a confident rider helps make for a safer rider (YMMV). Most importantly, get plenty of miles under your belt for experience, and always ride to your own abilities and comfort zone. Hope you post back with pics of your first bike. It will never be your last.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abryant64 View Post
    Got my full licence not too long ago and now looking for a proper bike when the current situation blows over!

Went to Triumph North London just before the lockdown and think a used Bonneville T120 would be great. I'm 6'2 and felt it sat a bit better than the other classic bikes. I wouldn't be commuting via bike so it's mainly for otherwise getting around and weekend rides.

Any advice or suggestions on a first bike would be much appreciated!
    First and foremost - congrats on passing your test!

There are so many offerings from all the large manufacturers that I would simply recommend riding as many as you can within your budget and style of bike, as what might suit one person might not suit another etc etc

I'm sure that once restrictions are lifted (Not any time soon I think) that dealers may offer some attractive deals to entice riders back onto the roads, might be worth phoning around and making enqs.

Also on a side note - I am an observer with the IAM and would strongly encourage you to continue with your training whilst all your teachings are fresh in your head, it will help. Maybe consider joining an advanced group IAM or ROSPA or get yourself on one the many bike safe courses which are held all over the country by different forces etc

Anyway - I'm rambling now and have work to do - so enjoy riding and keep us posted with whichever bike you decide to buy!

Mike

I’ve had a whole list of full size bikes since 1978
    Fire blade to 1200gs (5) triumphs inc. Scrambler
    I now have the Rnine T in urban Gs trim- I’m over 6’ tall and have upgraded the rear shock to raise the ride height to suit me- these sorts of trick are usually possible on most bikes. It’s a lot of fun
    New triumph Scrambler 1200 is nice too- now a decent size as my old one had several mods to make it right for me.
    MV Brutale and speed triple are great fun but just too small for me.

Master
    This is a useful tool to get a rough idea of which bikes may be comfortable... https://cycle-ergo.com/

Master
    This is a useful tool to get a rough idea of which bikes may be comfortable... https://cycle-ergo.com/
    That a handy link that I've never seen before... thanks for sharing!

Mike

Master
    Hours of fun here. If you tick the feet on the floor option and then run the bigger Ktm’s for me it’s laughable
    Thanks for posting.

Journeyman
    Thanks all - very helpful!

Master
    I passed my test 18 months ago and the first bike I bought was a new T120 which I think is excellent. I recently picked up a 2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT and I love both of them and intend to keep both.

The Bonneville is comfortable, stylish and as fast as anyone recently passing their test could (should) want. I bought the Africa Twin to scratch the Adventure Bike itch whilst deliberately avoiding the obvious BMW GS.

The difference between the two bikes is huge, with the Bonneville having a lower centre of gravity and being more nimble of twisty A and B roads. I bought the much taller Africa Twin as I want to do some touring and I prefer the taller seating position, wind protection and OEM hard luggage.

I have also bought 3 vintage bikes but I guess this isn’t the right thread for those.

I am 6ft tall so a bit shorter than you.

Master
    I have had a motor bike in my garage since the mid seventies until last year. The smallest was a BSA B31 350cc single and the biggest was an 1000cc Ariel Square Four.

Last year I tripped over and dislocated my right shoulder and bashed up the left one. It was a mystery how I didn't lose my teeth. This was followed by a few months of pain and discomfort. Just a simple act of getting into a shirt was five minutes of torture. Combing my hair was agony and something I would not wish on my worst enemy.

Basically it made me lose my bottle. If a simple fall created that amount of pain, what would falling off a bike at just say 30mph do. I shuddered at the thought of it.

Although somewhat hypocritical, I would strongly advise staying away from them. Yes they are fun to ride but also bloody dangerous. I had years of pleasure with them but nothing is worth the agony of an accident.

I have sold the last bike, a 650cc BSA Goldenflash plus all the tools and clothing that went with it, just looking at it scared the living daylights out of me and no hobby is worth that.

Blog Entries
    I would say don't think that more power necessarily means more fun. I've had British and Japanese bikes over the years, ranging from a Triumph Tiger Cub to large Jap fours and Harleys. The bike I have now is under 50BHP and is as much fun for me to ride as any of them and more so than some. I've done the need for speed thing and to be honest I never enjoyed it much.
    Get some good riding gear, I've just bought one of the Helite Airbag Jackets and for the price I don't think it's worth not having one. I also wear either armoured Kevlar jeans or leather trousers with armour and bike boots.

Above all be careful and get as much training as you can.

Airvest website. No connection just had great service from them. https://www.airvest.co.uk/product-category/motorcyles/
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 6th April 2020 at 16:17.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Good advice already given but I must stick My oar in Lol.Id suggest a good second hand 600 for now. I see Your a bit taller than Me and Bonnevilles are quite small.I ended up with a Tiger 1050 for this reason.Good Luck and enjoy!!!