closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G-Shock G-SQUAD GBD-H1000 with Heart Rate Monitor and GPS

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    Just downloaded the G Shock MOVE app and there’s a section in there for linking to external apps.

Looks very similar to many other fitness tracking apps, where you log in and grant access rights

Many thanks for confirming this. I've ordered one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Unexpected knock on the door from Parcelforce this morning.
    Only ordered Fri so wasn’t expecting this so quickly.
    First impressions are that it certainly wears smaller than my Rangeman.... but quality is definitely not the same. It feels much lighter and you can definitely see where they have kept the cost down on things like the strap and case.

Will put it through its paces today

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ordered mine Friday and no email update to say it's on it's way...maybe worth staying in for the day.

Glad to know it wears smaller than rangeman as my only worry is it will be too big.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Ordered mine Friday and no email update to say it's on it's way...maybe worth staying in for the day.

Glad to know it wears smaller than rangeman as my only worry is it will be too big.
    I’d say it wears similar to my 9400 Rangeman.... definitely smaller than my Gpr....

Fingers crossed yours arrives soon

Mike

Journeyman
    Looks good and the negative display looks very easy to read. Is it decent enough outside too?

Master
    I think it's the same tech that Garmin uses for their newer GPS watches, so I would expect it to be highly readable in bright light. More so than indoors, if anything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    Looks good and the negative display looks very easy to read. Is it decent enough outside too?
    Yes display very easy to read...both indoor and out.. very similar to my Rangeman.

Quality doesn’t feel the same as some other G-SHOCK models I have... but still very good.

Early days yet... will see how it performs

Mike

Apprentice
    little too big for me..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I think it's the same tech that Garmin uses for their newer GPS watches, so I would expect it to be highly readable in bright light. More so than indoors, if anything.
    Yes display very easy to read...both indoor and out.. very similar to my Rangeman.

Quality doesn’t feel the same as some other G-SHOCK models I have... but still very good.

Early days yet... will see how it performs

Mike
    I see they are using the same display in the new G-Lide squares. Hopefully it will filter down to some of the other negative display models too which look great but are a nightmare to read in sunlight.

Master
    I find these very easy to read in all conditions

Just back from a dog walk. Activity logs seems good and mapping similar to rangeman. Its early days but I would imagine that there will be minor changes to software to iron out any bugs.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Are people buying direct from Casio or is there another source with a discount?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Are people buying direct from Casio or is there another source with a discount?
    Got mine direct... not sure anybody discounting them just yet. Only been out since Friday... sure there will be soon though.

Mike

Master
    I find these very easy to read in all conditions

Just back from a dog walk. Activity logs seems good and mapping similar to rangeman. Its early days but I would imagine that there will be minor changes to software to iron out any bugs.

Have you linked it to the G shock app on your phone...waiting for mine and it hasn't turned up today

Master
    Have you linked it to the G shock app on your phone...waiting for mine and it hasn't turned up today
    Yes fully linked to the moves app... all appears well so far.

Shit I've just realized I have a 38% off RRP any Casio G Shock I would love to buy this but fear My Apple Watch 5 would be redundant-(.

Unexpected knock on the door from Parcelforce this morning.
    Only ordered Fri so wasn’t expecting this so quickly.
    First impressions are that it certainly wears smaller than my Rangeman.... but quality is definitely not the same. It feels much lighter and you can definitely see where they have kept the cost down on things like the strap and case.

Will put it through its paces today

Mike

Look forward to hearing your thoughts, especially compared to the Rangeman.

Journeyman
    released 9.00, website crashed at 9.05!

managed to get the white one into my basket, took ages to checkout but my order has been confirmed.

now showing as Sold Out :-)
    i had the same issue but what made me panic more was that is want showing in my G-shock account order profile either .. Have had an email from them telling not to worry as i should have it tomorrow but still a little nervous

Those IRL shots look great, thanks to all the posters. While I appreciate that a watch of that size and with the new negative display, will be easy to read in many lighting conditions, why don't Casio just release a chuffing positive version???

Is there some technical reason for the new MIP releases to have all been negative, as far as I can tell.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Look forward to hearing your thoughts, especially compared to the Rangeman.
    I would be interested too and had been contemplating getting one of these. Decided on the Rangeman in the end as i didn’t need the heart rate monitor and email/text alerts. Rangeman seemed to have more of the functions I’d use for walking/hiking.
    Took the plunge on the green strap version which arrives tomorrow.
    Slightly concerned as I know it’s going to be massive but looking forward to having a new gadget to play with and should push me to get out for longer treks. I have just been explaining to my wife how useful it’ll be to know the high/low tide times.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    I would be interested too and had been contemplating getting one of these. Decided on the Rangeman in the end as i didn’t need the heart rate monitor and email/text alerts. Rangeman seemed to have more of the functions I’d use for walking/hiking.
    Took the plunge on the green strap version which arrives tomorrow.
    Slightly concerned as I know it’s going to be massive but looking forward to having a new gadget to play with and should push me to get out for longer treks. I have just been explaining to my wife how useful it’ll be to know the high/low tide times.

Cheers
    Neil
    I have one on order and it hasn't arrived as yet.

Like you i had the rangeman and probably the functions on that are more of what i needed BUT it was just too big and i am hoping the next version in a year or two is smaller.

I will update when mine arrives and i have time to review it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Any more updates from those people lucky enough to grab one whilst they had stock ?

Have the firmware updates fixed any of the problems with the early reviews on Youtube ?

More pics would be nice too ;-)

Master
    Mine arrived this morning. All I've done so far is to start the GPS for half a minute, which corrected the timezone, synchronised the time and presumably recorded a short track. Will be setting the app and bluetooth etc later.

Mine arrived this morning. All I've done so far is to start the GPS for half a minute, which corrected the timezone, synchronised the time and presumably recorded a short track. Will be setting the app and bluetooth etc later.

I really like that sadly if I order one with my voucher My Apple Watch 5 would become redundant.

Master
    Ok just opened mine up as i have been busy last few days.

As stated on the other replies i find this a better size than the Rangeman GPS...yes the quality is down a little but still very good.

I find the negative display the best i have ever come across on a Casio as i usually hate them.

I have only set it up to time etc and this is no problem for me but i do prefer the functions on the Rangeman GPS for what i need it for but i knew that when i bought it.

I have owned a Garmin Fenix 5 and a Samsung Galaxy watch and they were sold in a few weeks...i feel this could stay a lot longer.

My hope next year is a new Rangeman GPS in this size and that would be perfect for me.

As stated on the other replies i find this a better size than the Rangeman GPS...yes the quality is down a little but still very good.

I find the negative display the best i have ever come across on a Casio as i usually hate them.

I have only set it up to time etc and this is no problem for me but i do prefer the functions on the Rangeman GPS for what i need it for but i knew that when i bought it.

I have owned a Garmin Fenix 5 and a Samsung Galaxy watch and they were sold in a few weeks...i feel this could stay a lot longer.

My hope next year is a new Rangeman GPS in this size and that would be perfect for me.

Very nice write Up You Guys are bad I am starting to wilt -)!

Master
    I have one on order and it hasn't arrived as yet.

Like you i had the rangeman and probably the functions on that are more of what i needed BUT it was just too big and i am hoping the next version in a year or two is smaller.

I will update when mine arrives and i have time to review it.
    Neil... if it’s any reassurance.... I also have the Rangeman and it’s my second one. I was so intimidated by the first when it arrived... I returned it. It felt comically large.

But I bought another soon after and I wear it regular now. Very chunky but I love its features and like yourself I do a lot of outdoor hikes and camps so really good for tracking and reassurance of decent battery life.

I’m sure you’ll get used to it.... don’t forget the pics

Mike

Master

I like that... didn’t know it was available in green and black.... nice one

I’ve used mine everyday since last Sunday when it arrived... and I’m still impressed.

As an exercise watch I find it great. It’s unfair I think to compare to my Rangeman because I think they are aimed at different themes.

If I were hiking tomorrow.... I would take the Rangeman or my Suunto. If going for run or cycling.... then the gbd-h1000

Mike

Exactly what I'm trying to hold out for but I'm 90% sure I'll cave and get this once there's a code. Strava have made big changes in the last few weeks re heart rate monitoring so also want to see if this paired to my phone will work.

Is the strap on this soft? I mean, really soft - softer than any other g shock? I got the gbd100 delivered today and it’s a lot of bang for your buck at £139 - I just liked the look of the MIP display and have an Apple Watch with HR monitor I don’t use already! - but the strap is a revelation, more like the new Seiko rubber dive straps, and this is the first negative display I can actually read in any light - well impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Not particularly - comfortable certainly, but no softer than most of the other G Shocks I have.

Used mine to track a rather leisurely 10 mile bike ride with 'er indoors. Uploaded OK to Casio Moves but hasn't made it to Strava yet, though the first test I did (a walk of roughly three metres' distance) did make it over.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like that... didn’t know it was available in green and black.... nice one

Nor me... is it not the black version but with some weird white balance going on ?

Master
    An online manual can be found here:

https://support.casio.com/global/en/wat/manual/3475_en/

I'll be customising the information visible during an activity later. I like to have time of day, distance done and average speed.

I did another test activity and that did make it to Strava, though it took a long time to establish the bluetooth connection to my phone.

Don’t think anyone else on this thread ordered a white one??

Don't think anyone else on this thread ordered a white one??
    Hopefully that's the one I'll go for. Very nice.

I hope they create a smaller version, possibly a DW square. Not everyone's wrists are meant for that much chunk

Master
    My left wrist is decidedly overchunked with the Casio on, I admit. Despite that, I still really like it.

Did a bike ride with it earlier and the app transferred the activity through to Strava without fuss. The battery charge indicator is down to four bars now.But it's curious that a hatched pattern is used for the 'empty' bars. I would have thought just blank space would have been more readable, like this:

(pic above borrowed for illustrative purposes, many thanks)

Anyway, will revert to my Instinct for the time being. I'm interested to see how much windowsill action it takes to get it up to full charge again.

Anyway, will revert to my Instinct for the time being. I'm interested to see how much windowsill action it takes to get it up to full charge again.
    Would be interesting to see what you think of this Vs the Garmin Instinct. I love G-Shocks and want a HR watch for the bicycle but Garmin seems to be the main player which is making me doubt the G-Shock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Would be interesting to see what you think of this Vs the Garmin Instinct. I love G-Shocks and want a HR watch for the bicycle but Garmin seems to be the main player which is making me doubt the G-Shock.
    Early days with the G-Shock but my strong suspicion is that, for me, the Instinct is the better cycling watch. It's less bulky, lighter, has at least as many useful features for cycling, has a similar superbly readable display and is a bit more configurable. A single battery charge will give at least 12 hours in GPS mode. It's less expensive, to boot.

The solar charging is nice to have and there's a very pleasing solidity to the Casio that the Garmin doesn't have. Very glad I bought it as I'm a bit of a G-Shock fanboi and it's going to be a brilliant holiday watch when those are a thing again. But as a cyclist if I had to keep just one of them, for sure it would be the Instinct.

Early days with the G-Shock but my strong suspicion is that, for me, the Instinct is the better cycling watch. It's less bulky, lighter, has at least as many useful features for cycling, has a similar superbly readable display and is a bit more configurable. A single battery charge will give at least 12 hours in GPS mode. It's less expensive, to boot.

The solar charging is nice to have and there's a very pleasing solidity to the Casio that the Garmin doesn't have. Very glad I bought it as I'm a bit of a G-Shock fanboi and it's going to be a brilliant holiday watch when those are a thing again. But as a cyclist if I had to keep just one of them, for sure it would be the Instinct.
    Thank you for that, makes total sense and explains a lot. Garmin is better and cheaper, but G-Shock is a G-Shock and we're fanbois. Stupidly somehow I still think it will be the G-Shock and then I'll need to revise the decision when I'm cycling to work and can't really walk around in a suit with a H1000.

Master
    Neil... if it’s any reassurance.... I also have the Rangeman and it’s my second one. I was so intimidated by the first when it arrived... I returned it. It felt comically large.

But I bought another soon after and I wear it regular now. Very chunky but I love its features and like yourself I do a lot of outdoor hikes and camps so really good for tracking and reassurance of decent battery life.

I’m sure you’ll get used to it.... don’t forget the pics

Mike

I've had the Rangeman a few days now and got over the initial "Wow it's f*****g massive!" stage and really think it's fab.
    In fact it's great because when I swap to other large watches like a Seiko Tuna they seem quite dinky.

Cheers
    Neil

Had mine for just over a week - great for recording runs and the best negative display from G-Shock.
    Step counter useful too.

Ordered on Fri 23 May it turned up next day.
    Last edited by nibby; 2nd June 2020 at 16:00.

Master
    A thought on the solar power function of this watch.

I note from this thread that I've had mine for 9 days, now. It arrived with 5 bars on the battery indicator. The first activity I did took it down to 4 bars, but a walk with it on the wrist in very bright sunshine for a few hours in normal timekeeping mode pushed it back up to 5. However the next activity knocked it back down to 4 bars.

Anyway - overall, it has been exposed to all of the available daylight over the last 9 days - mostly on a windowsill where it's not in direct sunlight, but also being worn outside in very bright sunshine for about 8 hours in total.

It's done 5 hrs, 15 mins of activity tracking in that time and it's presently at 4 bars, 1 bar lower on the battery indicator than when it was delivered. This leads me to suppose that for someone who will use it to track activities for more than a couple of hours a week, the solar power function is actually not that helpful; perhaps even a bit of a gimmick. Solar power won't keep the battery topped up for that use case, and I doubt that it would make much difference to the rate at which the power reserve is depleted on a long activity.

For use as a holiday watch where you might use the GPS function a few times to sync the time for half a minute or so, then the solar power is nice to have - you wouldn't need to take a charge cable. But as a regularly used activity watch, you're still going to be depending on the cable and the solar power is not really useful.

A thought on the solar power function of this watch.

I note from this thread that I've had mine for 9 days, now. It arrived with 5 bars on the battery indicator. The first activity I did took it down to 4 bars, but a walk with it on the wrist in very bright sunshine for a few hours in normal timekeeping mode pushed it back up to 5. However the next activity knocked it back down to 4 bars.

Anyway - overall, it has been exposed to all of the available daylight over the last 9 days - mostly on a windowsill where it's not in direct sunlight, but also being worn outside in very bright sunshine for about 8 hours in total.

It's done 5 hrs, 15 mins of activity tracking in that time and it's presently at 4 bars, 1 bar lower on the battery indicator than when it was delivered. This leads me to suppose that for someone who will use it to track activities for more than a couple of hours a week, the solar power function is actually not that helpful; perhaps even a bit of a gimmick. Solar power won't keep the battery topped up for that use case, and I doubt that it would make much difference to the rate at which the power reserve is depleted on a long activity.

For use as a holiday watch where you might use the GPS function a few times to sync the time for half a minute or so, then the solar power is nice to have - you wouldn't need to take a charge cable. But as a regularly used activity watch, you're still going to be depending on the cable and the solar power is not really useful.
    Thanks for a further update My 38% discount expires on 13th July so I am really torn as to whether to buy this or not there is lots to like.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh how annoying. I had talked myself into buying the grey and red version and when I was on the website I noticed that the black is back in stock (and the white/yellow).

Now I can't decide... grey and red, or all black ?
    (the black with the red highlights from the grey version would be perfect IMHO)

BTW - 8% discount via Quidco ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Now I can't decide... grey and red, or all black ?
    (the black with the red highlights from the grey version would be perfect IMHO)
    Grey and red for me. I agree that black and red would probably be optimal, but I'd want those red highlights for variety so of those two pictured def/y the grey.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Grey and red for me. I agree that black and red would probably be optimal, but I'd want those red highlights for variety so of those two pictured def/y the grey.

Finally made my mind up - grey & red version on its way today

How's everyone getting on with the watch ? Seen a few pop up on SC already, but that could have been people just trying it out.
    Has the app / firmware been updated to fix any of the issues yet ?

Master
    If anyone's thinking of getting one of these to keep track of and share running / cycling activities, don't. Get a Garmin Instinct instead, or a Forerunner. There's even a solar version of the Instinct now so as a cycling / running watch, there is no possible reason to prefer the Casio. You''ll save a bit of money, and a lot of hassle.

While Garmin have had their problems recently, the Casio web service is consistently abysmal. When I got my G-SQUAD I set up the MOVE app with my preferred preferences, and to export recorded tracks to Strava. It has done this a few times. Sometimes it will record my track in the app, and on the Casio web service, but the track doesn't make it through to Strava. One time my activity somehow made it right through to Strava, but was nowhere to be found in the activity history on the Casio web service. Today I recorded a 70.5 mile track on the watch. This made it through to the app on the phone via Bluetooth, but the app settings have reverted to default, eg distances in metric. Attempting to change them just hangs forever, even after rebooting the phone.

Visited the Casio web service to see if the track appeared there, but my activity history there is now completely empty. Needless to say, despite the export to Strava setting still being ticked and active, the activity did not get there.

On my Instinct I could bypass the Garmin app by hooking the watch up to my PC via USB and pulling the track off directly. You can't do that on the Casio.

As a standalone watch, I still really like the G-SQUAD. It's really a nice, chunky thing, and I like the ability to sync the time up to a GPS satellite anywhere in the world. It feels like a proper bit of kit on the wrist and the high-res screen is lovely. And you could certainly use it as a running watch if you aren't bothered about keeping stats or sharing / recording activities. You can still see the distance you've done and the time taken, like a dumb bike computer would tell you.

But for keeping track of stats and Strava, it's a non-starter.
    Last edited by monogroover; 7th August 2020 at 22:56.

Thanks for that monogroover. I've been looking at this for ages, wanting it to be right, but from reading the thread knew it wasn't. I've ordered a Garmin Instinct Solar which comes tomorrow and will give that a go. It's mainly as an excuse to get a new watch and for the heart rate as I ready have a Wahoo and didn't want a chest strap but should be interesting nonetheless.

Hopefully it works with Wahoo or syncs to my phone via Google fit etc and the heart rate tracks. I probably should have got s Garmin, not a Wahoo, but I preferred the Wahoo.