closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More poor customer service

Master

More poor customer service

I recently purchased a PAM 614 in the WF sale, dated July 2018 originally from a UK AD. I had asked WF if this would be eligible for the 8 year warranty and they indicated it would. Seeing as how they are owned by Richemont one would expect them to know what they are talking about.
    Today received email from panerai to say that the watch is not eligible for the 8 year warranty, with no explanation offered.
    Needless to say I am less than impressed, and have emailed panerai seeking an explanation.
    I have defended PAM customer service on this forum in the past, as my previous experience has been first class. Let's hope that this is not the end of an 11 year relationship with the brand.
    Rant over

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robsmck; 1st April 2020 at 13:58. Reason: 9

I thought you were going to say it would end your relationship with WatchFinder - isn't it they who have misled you? Panerai didn't say they'd give the 8 year wannanty, WF did. Therefore I'd be taking this up with WF first and foremost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I thought you were going to say it would end your relationship with WatchFinder - isn't it they who have misled you? Panerai didn't say they'd give the 8 year wannanty, WF did. Therefore I'd be taking this up with WF first and foremost.
    I have already contacted WF and expressed my displeasure. It is more the attitude of Panerai, no explanation as to why the extension was denied despite the watch meeting all the criteria on their website.
    A global recession is not a good time to alienate long standing customers.

Master
    This is very strange. Unless it is from a grey importer, it should be valid. Is it definitely from an authorised UK AD? Is it possible it was not registered by the original AD?

Master
    Is it perhaps only available to the original owner?

I did a quick search online and the watch had to be registered by the original owner :-

Panerai eight-year Warranty
    Panerai announced that it has extended its manufacturer’s warranty on all watches to eight years, which brings the brand up to par with some of the best brands in the world. The industry standard for warranty is two years, but to make the brand more competitive on the market, and to show that the brand stands proudly behind its watches, Panerai now offers an eight-year warranty for all its watches.

Panerai called it Pam.Guard Program. The name derives from the fact that the reference number of Panerai watches begins with the letters PAM.

The PAM-Guard program of eight years of warranty applies to watches sold two years from November 26, which is when Panerai officially launched the program.

In order to enjoy the eight-year warranty, you must register your watch in their program online. When you register your watch, you will, in some cases, be sent invitations, newsletters, and gifts. You can access the Pam.Guard program online with most devices.

The CEO of Panerai Jean-Marc Pontroué stated after presenting the news of the extended warranty that the new

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    This is very strange. Unless it is from a grey importer, it should be valid. Is it definitely from an authorised UK AD? Is it possible it was not registered by the original AD?
    Yes book is stamped by a Birmingham AD.
    Awaiting a reply from Panerai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Is it perhaps only available to the original owner?

I did a quick search online and the watch had to be registered by the original owner :-

Panerai eight-year Warranty
    Panerai announced that it has extended its manufacturer’s warranty on all watches to eight years, which brings the brand up to par with some of the best brands in the world. The industry standard for warranty is two years, but to make the brand more competitive on the market, and to show that the brand stands proudly behind its watches, Panerai now offers an eight-year warranty for all its watches.

Panerai called it Pam.Guard Program. The name derives from the fact that the reference number of Panerai watches begins with the letters PAM.

The PAM-Guard program of eight years of warranty applies to watches sold two years from November 26, which is when Panerai officially launched the program.

In order to enjoy the eight-year warranty, you must register your watch in their program online. When you register your watch, you will, in some cases, be sent invitations, newsletters, and gifts. You can access the Pam.Guard program online with most devices.

The CEO of Panerai Jean-Marc Pontroué stated after presenting the news of the extended warranty that the new
    No, the warranty is attached to the watch not any person.

OK, here goes:

I'd suggest you look at your warranty card. The offer of an extended warranty only applies if the watch's warranty card is registered/completed by an official AD at time of sale. I suppose plenty of grey market Panerais won't have this.

BTW, the T&Cs for the warranty extension also include the 'discretion' word: it's up to Panerai/Richemont whether they accept any watch for this service.

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/servic...extension.html

Edit: too slow, as usual...
    ______

​Jim.

Whether or not the warranty card/book is stamped the original owner needs to have registered via. their online programme (reading what is posted here anyway).

Maybe that wasn’t done.

I am guessing that it is because you are not (as per their T&C) the final customer - in this situation it was likely Watchfinder (if the watch is new).

Also given that is not the statutory warranty but a free enhancement - they can do what they like... [Although if you push they might do it on a goodwill basis).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Whether or not the warranty card/book is stamped the original owner needs to have registered via. their online programme (reading what is posted here anyway).

Maybe that wasn’t done.
    I don't think there was any requirement for the original owner to register online before November 2019, when the extended warranty was offered. Panerai simply offered a two year warranty from date of sale (if the paperwork was done on the day, of course!) & the AD processed the sale as per Panerai's requirements.

When PamGuard was introduced, availability of the extended warranty was backdated to watches bought new from 26 (or 27) November 2017 if those now owning the watches registered online & subject to Panerai's conditions.

From what the OP has written, I fear there is a discrepancy between the recorded date of sale by the Brum AD & the activation date of the warranty. I won't speculate on how that could happen.
    Last edited by jwg663; 1st April 2020 at 15:25. Reason: Errant comma!
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I don't think there was any requirement for the original owner to register online before November 2019, when the extended warranty was offered. Panerai simply offered a two year warranty from date of sale (if the paperwork was done on the day, of course!) & the AD processed the sale as per Panerai's requirements.

When PamGuard was introduced, availability of the extended warranty was backdated to watches bought new from 26 (or 27) November 2017 if those now owning the watches registered online & subject to Panerai's conditions.

From what the OP has written, I fear there is a discrepancy between the recorded date of sale by the Brum AD & the activation date of the warranty. I won't speculate on how that could happen.
    No, but maybe it just hasn’t been registered online at all (which does seem to be a requirement).

Craftsman

Bright side

At least on the bright side you did not buy it at retail and you got the Panerai at a good price. Just think how the original seller felt when he got the WF offer.

Always a silver lining, even when dealing with WF.

Master
    They make you work for it, apparently.

https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/servic...extension.html

"In order to participate in the Panerai Pam.Guard program which notably, includes the opportunity to apply for a Warranty Extension, you must follow the registration process on services.panerai.com, and opt-in to allow Panerai to use your personal information to receive communications from Panerai about products or services, including marketing information, regardless of whether your application for a Warranty Extension is approved."

"
    In case of successful application for a Warranty Extension under the Panerai Pam.Guard program, your Panerai watch will benefit from an extension of the original Panerai International Limited Warranty for a maximum of 6 years. Please note that the overall duration of the Panerai International Limited Warranty cannot exceed 8 years for any reason whatsoever. The Warranty Extension applies to your Panerai watch and may be enjoyed by any subsequent purchaser or gift recipient of the watch. "

Master
    Quick update to say I telephoned the concierge in UK today. He stated he could not understand why but would consult with a colleague and email me tomorrow.
    Let's see what comes then.

Craftsman
    Strange
    I registered my Panerai’s for the warranty extension
    Including one bought new from chrono24 and one bought from this very forum and they were all accepted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Strange
    I registered my Panerai’s for the warranty extension
    Including one bought new from chrono24 and one bought from this very forum and they were all accepted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The OP should try the same.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The OP should try the same.
    I did try and it was refused. Hence the OP.

Any update on this, OP?
    ______

​Jim.

Journeyman
    Interesting story I personally would not expect to receive an 8 year warranty on a pre owned watch. Good luck keep us posted how you get on with a resolution.

Master
    A fellow TZer put me in touch with a senior bod in panerai in London. I emailed him all details as requested late on Friday so hoping to hear back from him soon.
    Thanks to Alun and I will update TZ when I know more.

Master
    To close this, received email from panerai this morning to say watch now has the extended guarantee up to 2026.
    Of course no explanation or elaboration. Reminds me of when a PAM of mine leaked water when diving. Returned under warranty, back to me some 3 months later with I assume a new movement. Again no explanation of what had happened or what they had done.
    Panerai seem to be the Alfa of the watch world. But I still love 'em.

Master
    I am glad this has been resolved. I am just hoping that my Panerai don’t need to go back.

On that point, do anyone know how often do their in house movement needs attention? Seems to be running fine but it is getting on a bit, still under warranty!

Journeyman
    That’s great service. I have a friend who owns about four of em he loves the brand and with stories like this it’s easy to see why when a company stands by its product.