closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which console

Master

Which console

It’s been a while since I did any gaming. Basically since having my first child nearly 8 years ago I couldn’t justify the waste of time. I now have a 5 and 7yo and I’m thinking of getting one.

I’m thinking of an Xbox, I used to love fifa and my 7yo is football mad. However, am I being unrealistic, would the 5yo even be able to hold the controller? Would a switch be better? Any advice would be appreciated

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 7 year old likes his switch- lots of time spent on Zelda and Luigis Mansion. Also if you get the online pass you get access to SNES games like Mario Kart, Mario 4, Starwing and Pilot Wings to name but a few. We went with a switch as I believe the games are more accessible to his age group.

Xbox might be ambitious for a 7 year old
    But it’s for you so why worry..... lol

Playstation 4. But something to note is these new consoles are an absolute pain because you have to download massive amounts of data all the time and need ALOT of hard disk space.

I found myself adding hard drives to the systems not long after getting them and thank god I have very fast internet or I would be there all day downloading

Blog Entries
    Anyone recommend Wii games suitable for a 5 year old?

The Switch is a much better console for that age group than an XBox or PS4. It has plenty of titles for adults too. Breath of the Wild is superb as is Mario Odyssey. Splatoon 2 is amazing and Animal Crossing is very therapeutic. There is also Zelda Links Awakening, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Maker 2 and New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe which are all Switch exclusives. It looks like Nintendo is going to release a raft of Mario remakes later in the year. If you get a Switch as your only console then I’d recommend getting the Switch rather than the Switch Lite. The Switch can be used plugged into a TV and in handheld mode. The Switch Lite is cheaper but can only be used as a handheld console.

Fifa is a cut down version on the Switch however so if that is the most important game then I’d look at and XBox or PS4. If you want the best long term investment then the XBox One X is the most powerful console at the moment, running multi platform games at a higher resolution than the PS4 Pro. The PS4 does have a number of tempting exclusives though, more so than the exclusives on the XBox.

Master
    Our eldest is Fifa mad, he recently swapped a 1Tb PS4 to a PS4 Pro, the latest model is really quiet & quick. The downloads are crazy though as mentioned, COD Modern Warfare took ages & ate up loads of memory.

Our kids consoles all have a wired connection which keeps things going at a good pace, except the youngest who has a Switch, its a good console but apart from the portability I don't see that much difference to the WiiU, which I think is a really good console for younger gamers, plays Wii games & the WiiU games look great, good prices too for bundles

Burnout for the Switch looks really good though, out later this month

Switch sounds a great choice - warning though that stock is very thin on the ground for the proper (not lite) version right now - be prepared to have to scour the internet daily in the hope some pops up if that’s the route you go!

Whichever console, would definitely recommend Overcooked (1 or 2) as brilliant family friendly fun gaming

I think both the Xbox and PS4 were meant to be superseded by the next gen in the next 12 months, whether that happens now or not no idea

I’ve been looking at buying a Switch for the last week or so (my eldest has a PS4 but my youngest has Down’s and just can’t handle all the buttons on the handset) - but there is apparently a huge stock shortage across Europe and the US. I’ve given up on finding one anytime soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    A friend of mine has a small business selling retro consoles with loads of old arcade machine games on one console.
    Not perhaps what you were looking for initially but might give you some retro gaming.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/therealr...=page_internal

Craftsman
    +1 for a Switch, but supply issues are an issue. Nintendo have a weirdly poor record with this in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    Switch sounds a great choice - warning though that stock is very thin on the ground for the proper (not lite) version right now - be prepared to have to scour the internet daily in the hope some pops up if that’s the route you go!

Whichever console, would definitely recommend Overcooked (1 or 2) as brilliant family friendly fun gaming

I think both the Xbox and PS4 were meant to be superseded by the next gen in the next 12 months, whether that happens now or not no idea
    +1 on overcooked, especially if you get a console that allows local multiplayer. Lots of frantic shouting.

On the switch situation, I saw that the Switch Lite was available on eBay at a reasonable price. Can't say I saw any stock of the full-sized switch. If you do get a full switch, make sure it's the newer 2019 version with longer battery life.

From what I read, Microsoft and Sony are currently still planning to release their consoles by the end of the year. Apparently the price is going to be pretty steep though.

This is the best place to check for Switch stock:

https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-nintendo-switch

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    It’s been a while since I did any gaming. Basically since having my first child nearly 8 years ago I couldn’t justify the waste of time. I now have a 5 and 7yo and I’m thinking of getting one.

I’m thinking of an Xbox, I used to love fifa and my 7yo is football mad. However, am I being unrealistic, would the 5yo even be able to hold the controller? Would a switch be better? Any advice would be appreciated
    Very similar boat (4 and 7 year old).

The 7 yo (boy) has a - heavily rationed - Switch which is docked to a TV, next to the main TV in the living room.

I got us (me) a PS4 a few months ago after finishing some studies and thinking I might get to play some of the games I used to 13 years ago before meeting SWMBO. Not happened so far.

He's had the switch a while and the games available are great. Games like Zelda and Mario require some quite complex problem solving that I've seen him apply away from the screens. Silly things like creating a process/flow before attempting to do something. He's growing up anyway so maybe that's part of natural development but the games are fun and life should be too!

I have to confess that we mostly play fortnite together. He is obsessed. It's great because he's learned the map, knows where the good guns spawn, knows all the characters etc. etc. can do the building (which I can't) but is rubbish at shooting. I'm not. So we make a great team... and have fun in 30 minute bites.

We also get to play (and talk through headsets) to friends and family all around the world.

The 4yo (girl) isn't interested AT ALL unless we're playing her cousins in Abu Dhabi, then she hogs the headset and talks nonsense for the entire game. Suits me!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Anyone recommend Wii games suitable for a 5 year old?
    The old Wii? Wii Play, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit (if you have a working balance board - got one from CEX a month ago for either £3 or £6), Wii Carnival - got the last one from CEX for about £8 a month ago (the expanded version) - all games seem harmless enough.

Master
    Thanks for the advice, I think it has to be a full Switch. I’d love an Xbox but I feel the kids are too young, and it’s still relatively expensive considering a new version is due this year.

I’ve managed, to order one from french amazon so we’ll see if it pans out or not.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I think it has to be a full Switch. I’d love an Xbox but I feel the kids are too young, and it’s still relatively expensive considering a new version is due this year.

I’ve managed, to order one from french amazon so we’ll see if it pans out or not.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I’ve ordered from Amazon France a few times. They were all fulfilled from a UK warehouse.