timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch Selling Regrets

Blog Entries
    Probably this one...

z

Craftsman
    A policy of never selling a watch sounds like a good idea, because I always end up regretting my sales.

Rolex 16610, Tudor 79090, Tudor BB58, Omega Speedmaster, and IWC 3706 are my top 5, in that order. I only have a couple of CasiOaks at the moment, and can't shake the thought that I should pick up a Speedy or BB58 again some time soon. If I do I'm sure I'll sell them again after 6-12 months and regret it.

Not the worst regrets to have, to be fair. Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all and all that jazz.

Craftsman
    3 regrets

1. Rolex Non-Date Sub (though used money to fund GO Sport Evolution)
    2. JLC Master Control Memovox
    3. Sinn EZM2

Right now with all that is going on they are first world regrets!

Only two for me and not really big ticket items but this I got for next to nothing from an old friend who had taken out on tour with him.

_MG_8638 by Tom Peach, on Flickr

And this

Untitled by Tom Peach, on Flickr

OK, I have a fair bit of time on my hands so I thought it would be interesting to raid my old photobucket account. Here are 36 of them...missing a couple that I can't find pictures of including a seadweller and a couple of Seamasters, but I owned these in the early 2000s before decent phone cameras were around. Makes me realise why I can walk past a jewellers window and say I've owned a lot of the models in the window!

Out of those, irrelevant of value, I think I miss some of the Rolex the most. Biggest regret was selling the Superocean because it held sentimental value...I saved as a student for months to get it and it was the watch I wore supersonic in an F-18. Idiot for selling it on eBay for peanuts.

Amazing that just looking at the watch photos takes me back to remembering a lot of key moments wearing them. True WIS!

Journeyman
    Seiko Shogun

Craftsman
    I have sold many watches over the years and then instantly regretted it to the point that I have repurchased some of those pieces 2 or 3 times over ! Sometimes I just get bored and sell on impulse just to get a ‘deal done’ without actually thinking it through first ! 😂

Definitely my RAF Omega '53 Broadarrow... sold for £800 about 8 yrs ago. I'm not complaining about my return on £29 which is what I paid for it back in '78, but just regret selling such an iconic watch.

Plus my Omega 2264

I'll also give an honorable mention to a mid-70s Speedmaster I once had, it was originally owned by a German engineer who worked for NASA in their satellite tracking systems. The watch had been in something like 120 countries over the years, as detailed in a lovely letter the old chap included with the watch.

He sold it on eBay circa. 2007 for around EUR700 (one of the infamous 'Buy It Now' listings live for mere minutes), I bought it from the flipper who re-listed for around EUR1250 and it departed a few years later for not much more. Not worried about missing the financial uplift since, it was just a very cool piece with that history

These are most of them but still a few missing

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Like the seiko landmasters

Journeyman
    My MK1 Seiko Black Monster. First automatic watch, really wish I’d not let that go.

- - - Updated - - -

My MK1 Seiko Black Monster. First automatic watch, really wish I’d not let that go.

I've just raided and now deleted my old Photobucket account.
    Why, why, why did I sell this Oris. I've not seen one in as good condition. Big regret.

I should have kept this Junghans a bit longer, I got it for a good price.

This Bulova was practically NOS when I paid £100 for it on Ebay. Eventually sold on Ebay locally but I should have kept it. Great size and lovely details.

Journeyman
    The only watch I really regret flipping is this Benarus 38mm Moray - the perfect camping beater. I kind of forgot that's why I got it, and flipped it when downsizing my collection. I need a new camping watch now.

Whilst I don’t regret selling it because the money I raised helped to fund my much-loved DSSD, I really miss my beautiful PAM00156 (a watch that Mart Broad should recognise)...

Such a great watch.

Simon

There's just two that I mass, Both Seiko 6139's

I traded this one, Can't remember what for though!

I sold the blue one at the right side and regretted it straight away as it ran perfectly and no out of line day as on all my others!!

Have to say, I've not sold very many but I have traded a few!

Mine weren't expensive watches like most of the others in this thread!!

John

Apprentice

Watch Selling Regrets

I regret selling a few:
    - NOS 73 ref 7808 Breitling Chronomat
    - 76 Ploprof 600 with bracelet and original ISOFRANE rubber strap
    - 83 JLC Triple date moonphase in 18K with fancy lugs (ex-Christie's, one of 500 to commemorate JLC's 150 year anniversary)
    - Patek Calatrava ref 96
    Last edited by bushido; 2nd April 2020 at 00:27.