closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Long shot - can anyone answer beginner's questions on 10GBe networking?

Craftsman

Long shot - can anyone answer beginner's questions on 10GBe networking?

I've just got a 10GBe thunderbolt 3 adapter as part of starting a home 10GBe project. Any experts who can offer a beginner some guidance? I have some newbie questions, thanks.

Master
    Please post questions here? If I can help, happy to; I'm sure others will as well.

Give us a clue. 10G ethernet is a lot of data going past...

Craftsman
    Thanks. So all I want at the moment is to directly connect my Apple Macbook Pro's new thunderbolt 3 => 10Gbe (SPF+) adapter to a NAS with an SPF+ port (ie without going through a switch). I know that for normal ethernet you can use crossover cables to connect two devices, but what sort of SPF+ to SPF+ cable would I need to do the same job? I'm getting confused as some SPF+ cables have DAC and some don't? Is DAC even relevant for my usage scenario?

BTW the two devices are less than 10 feet apart, if that makes a difference to the cable...

Finally, if there is a purchase link to a suitable cable, I'd very much appreciate that :)
    Last edited by amii21; 30th March 2020 at 15:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amii21 View Post
    Thanks. So all I want at the moment is to directly connect my Apple Macbook Pro's new thunderbolt 3 => 10Gbe (SPF+) adapter to a NAS with an SPF+ port (ie without going through a switch). I know that for normal ethernet you can use crossover cables to connect two devices, but what sort of SPF+ to SPF+ cable would I need to do the same job? I'm getting confused as some SPF+ cables have DAC and some don't? Is DAC even relevant for my usage scenario?

Finally, if there is a purchase link to a suitable cable, I'd very much appreciate that :)
    The only ports for this I've seen are for using DAC cables. These have the 10Gbe SFP modules on the ends of the cable.

e.g.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/10Gtek-10Gb.../dp/B01DCZCQTC

Master
    Which adapter have you bought? The QNAP one? Which NAS are planning to use?

Too late if you already have adaptor and NAS but I would have gone for 10GBASE-T as you can use cat6 cable over reasonable distances.

Don't think modern ethernet devices need crossover cables BTW and doubt you will either.