closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where would you live?

Master

Where would you live?

With all this time at home, I’m sure our minds wonder freely. I know a lot of people live where they do because they want to, but let’s say you decided to live somewhere else, where would you choose if financially/job wise/family etc it was viable. I love North Devon and in an ideal world I’d live here 9 months of the year and the other 3 somewhere warm and sunny.

I’ve thought about the Algarve, Florida or even running a small business in one of the Caribbean islands.

On my recent travels I’ve thought about Noosa in Oz or Tauranga in NZ.

Curious if anyone has been daydreaming about it.

Love Noosa, In fact lots of areas in Oz would be fantastic.

I quite like living on a small island most of the year - Isle of Man, and it’s very quiet, with beautiful scenery - around 80% of the size of Singapore, but only 84,000 people - so much easier to isolate. I was until recently splitting my time between here and Oz, mostly NSW and visiting friends in Queensland.

As far as the Caribbean goes, I love St Lucia, and Antigua.
    It's just a matter of time...

Places like Hawaii and OZ look good on the TV but the reality is very different. I would stay in rural areas of the UK for sure.

Master
    Funny that Noosa has already come up...my brother lives in Eatons Hill just north of Brisbane and it's got a lot going for it...the sunshine coast to the north and Brisbane just a short train/car journey away.

So anywhere near there would be my perfect location

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I wouldn't live anywhere but England but would quite happily have a Trullo in Puglia in which to escape for the odd month as the urge took me.

Only place overseas that I've thought I'd really like to live is the Azores.

In the UK, somewhere by the sea.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I would split my time between Rural Herefordshire where I live now and Cap d' Antibes where we holidayed for 15 years in a family members apartment.

Blog Entries
    I lived on a barrier Island ,Sanibel on the Florida gulf and just loved it and twenty years later would go back if it were possible right now in North Essex and i love it here just a little more sun would be the icing on the cake
    Last edited by mart broad; 29th March 2020 at 20:19.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I don't do the UK winter very well these days - hate the grey, wet days.

Love where I live but a better climate would suit me fine!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Salzburg

Tokyo.

Master
    Stockton-On-Tees. My hometown.

Master
    I'd love to live in Berlin. I enjoy that city so much and miss it if I dont get to go often enough. I understand that going as a visitor is different to living and working there but the place, the people and the history all serve to make me feel so comfortable.

Master
    Anywhere in America where the climate would allow for homesteading. Basically just America. Affordable land, ability to hunt and fish without obscene restrictions, I'll be applying for the greencard lottery in October.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Anywhere in America where the climate would allow for homesteading. Basically just America. Affordable land, ability to hunt and fish without obscene restrictions, I'll be applying for the greencard lottery in October.
    UK residents are not eligible?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    UK residents are not eligible?
    Balls. Maybe next year then! I've not been keeping track of things. Although the ineligible countries relates this this year's lottery, not sure what it means for applications for next year's.
    Last edited by hafle; 29th March 2020 at 21:08.

My wife and I live in San Diego, but still 'dream' of living in Hawaii (Maui), where we frequently vacation.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You are kidding, right?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    You are kidding, right?
    Why would I be kidding?

Master
    Future plan is stay based in UK for majority of the year & spend winter months in Los Cristianos Tenerife.

Very very happy living in Wiltshire, although Dorset or Hampshire would be equally nice.

Further afield I spent a fair amount of time in Alexandra and Chesapeake Bay Area, and loved it, alas I feel that the novelty would wear off eventually.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I'd like a coastal view, used to have Poole harbour from one bedroom window and Corfe Castle out of the other which was lovely, but I'd like to live properly by the sea.

We often talk about emigrating to Australia or New Zealand but the wife has strong family ties hence not doing it, maybe one day.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    You are kidding, right?
    Why would he be? I love living in rural England and think it’s the best country in the world to live in but my next choice would be small town America.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Why would he be? I love living in rural England and think it’s the best country in the world to live in but my next choice would be small town America.
    You ever spent time in small town America?

Master
    I have. It was far preferable to any period of time I the UK. What exactly don't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My wife and I live in San Diego, but still 'dream' of living in Hawaii (Maui), where we frequently vacation.
    You need to start learning the language. I recommend John Prine

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I have. It was far preferable to any period of time I the UK. What exactly don't you like about it?
    My Q was to Ian.

Genuine interest - we have travelled a lot in the US and some of the smaller US places are not what I would class as my final resting place TBH.

Had some good experiences also but curious what makes it special.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 29th March 2020 at 21:56. Reason: elaborated.

Probably Northumberland for the scenery, but I would miss the security of Shetland. It saddens me to read on here about people installing CCTV on their houses. In Shetland people still leave their doors unlocked in case someone visits whilst they are out. Some never lock their doors even when they go on holiday. The neighbours will need access to feed the cat, the goldfish, or water the plants. The postman may need to drop in a parcel. Someone from WarmShowers might be staying. My other half goes jogging at all times of the day and night without worry. Young kids make their own way to school. It's how life should be, not with the fear that someone is going to steal your baubles.

South West London, South Devon, The Mediterranean (Balearic Islands probably) and Antigua.

We move countries every four years or so and have enjoyed everywhere that we've lived, but could happily settle in Canada.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

France - probably the Vaucluse or Drome.

Master
    Cephalonia, no if's but's, just Cephalonia. North east going out on the mountain road from Agia Efimia, beautiful.

Sicily
    Preferably South coast .

Master
    I’d like to be living on a yacht in the middle of the Caribbean right about now..

Craftsman
    For me it has to be Northern Spain, worked there from Santander in the east to La Corunna in the west,
    Gjion would be my perfect location, great way of life.

Master
    Vancouver

Blog Entries
    Yes in Michigan, I have relatives there. Why? Didn't you like it?
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 30th March 2020 at 00:27.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

My wife has a list of places she'd buy if she won the Euromillions - Miami, Thailand, Regents Park and so on. I thought about it and realised I'd like somewhere near Winchester as my main residence, a small bolthole close to a decent pub in the middle of nowhere in north Dorset, a flat in Edinburgh and somewhere very close to Le Mans as a base for European operations. I used to think I'd keep an original Panda 4x4 and a Caterham at each (well, apart from the Edinburgh flat), now an Ariel Nomad would do the job perfectly. I'm happiest though on the chalk of the South Downs.
    "A man of little significance"

Since moving down to Chichester last year we’ve never been happier, pretty much perfect but our idea of paradise would be time split in the north of Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I lived on a barrier Island ,Sanibel on the Florida gulf and just loved it and twenty years later would go back if it were possible right now in North Essex and i love it here just a little more sun would be the icing on the cake
    ^^^ This ^^^

Sanibel, Captiva or North Captiva (to get there, a small plane would be very nice)

M

I live in South Wales...in the Rhondda valley.

I spend about 4-6 weeks of the winters in Thailand (usually Jan -March time)..it was my "intention" to retire this June...then spend the winter in Thailand (but to come home for Christmas...then go back again In January)....indeed...Id even booked the ticket...from September until December....but with all thats going on........Going to Thailand in September...is not going to happen....."maybe/hopefully"! I will be able to go in the new year......will have to wait and see though!

Im 60...so as I say...that was my "plan"..i was meant to be giving my notice in....around about now!..will put it off, until the picture (hopefully!) becomes a bit clearer!

Im still at work, Im meant to be a "key worker", as i drive trains...so thats something at least...........though at my age? I wouldnt mind being furloughed...........I know lots and lots of people are being furloughed, some losing their jobs too..so I "thought" id be really gutted I wont be able to retire now, and spend the winters etc in Thailand...(Id be looking forward to it for years and years!)........seeing how badly other people are affected though? It no hardship for me......Im still working still getting a salary...which is more than many many many (including my daughter) arent.

Stay safe everybody.

ps...Ive mentioned Im 60...Im "old school".......................but? My hands are in a terrible state being washed ,it seems every few minutes! What cream/lotion etc etc do you "new man"! types recommend for my hands please!? Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    ps...Ive mentioned Im 60...Im "old school".......................but? My hands are in a terrible state being washed ,it seems every few minutes! What cream/lotion etc etc do you "new man"! types recommend for my hands please!? Lol!
    E45,

Not that I've ever been described as a "new man".
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I have been fairly prolific in my travels and the best place on earth must be the Cotswolds. Just a lovely civilised place.

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post

Good enough for Norwegian fishermen. That's old school for you
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    As long as the kids are young I prefer it here in Finland, schools are great, kids are happy and the daily life is easy. Somehow things work really well here.

However, I do not like the weather that much, especially now that the winters are getting worse and worse. My favorite hobby has been cycling for 20 years now, and if I'd choose a place to live it would be based on the possibilities to ride all year round in a nice scenery. Mallorca would be a good choice for that, but maybe the island is too small and touristy. I also love Italy, the perfect spot would the Chianti valley, somewhere between Montepulciano and Cortona, middle of the valley. I also like the Basque country, but the weather in winter can be quite bad also and I prefer the Italian food and culture.

Maybe one day!

We're currently in London and outside the Corona situation loving it here. However we've often talked about where else we would live.

Bali and Singapore are on the top of the list.

In Europe we've always liked Copenhagen, and with the current situation Germany is making themselves an attractive option at the moment.

Within the UK we would consider a place like Oxford but less prone to flooding.

Where would you live?

Where would do you live?

1) Countryside of the South Hams in Devon.
    2) Coast of the Gulf of Aqaba.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

My long-term plan (not going well currently) is to spend summer at home in the UK and winters slowly travelling around warmer countries, mainly in Asia (India, Thailand etc).

If I can tie this in with a few Test matches, all the better.

Master
    I've always liked Japan, and have dreamed of retiring on Okinawa. The locals there seem to have a great balance and stay healthy well into their 90s. Maybe I should start learning Japanese during this time.

Happy here in Spain for now, even on lockdown life is still pretty good, nice views, lots of garden, ample terraces for jogging, 25 m long putting range, once the weather sorts' itself out I'll open the swimming pool up so even if this thing stretches into the Summer, this situation works well.
    Just gutted I haven't got the pool table ordered in February, delivered before the lockdown.