closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where would you live?

Hybrid View

Master

Where would you live?

With all this time at home, I’m sure our minds wonder freely. I know a lot of people live where they do because they want to, but let’s say you decided to live somewhere else, where would you choose if financially/job wise/family etc it was viable. I love North Devon and in an ideal world I’d live here 9 months of the year and the other 3 somewhere warm and sunny.

I’ve thought about the Algarve, Florida or even running a small business in one of the Caribbean islands.

On my recent travels I’ve thought about Noosa in Oz or Tauranga in NZ.

Curious if anyone has been daydreaming about it.

Love Noosa, In fact lots of areas in Oz would be fantastic.

I quite like living on a small island most of the year - Isle of Man, and it’s very quiet, with beautiful scenery - around 80% of the size of Singapore, but only 84,000 people - so much easier to isolate. I was until recently splitting my time between here and Oz, mostly NSW and visiting friends in Queensland.

As far as the Caribbean goes, I love St Lucia, and Antigua.
    It's just a matter of time...

Places like Hawaii and OZ look good on the TV but the reality is very different. I would stay in rural areas of the UK for sure.

Master
    Funny that Noosa has already come up...my brother lives in Eatons Hill just north of Brisbane and it's got a lot going for it...the sunshine coast to the north and Brisbane just a short train/car journey away.

So anywhere near there would be my perfect location

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I wouldn't live anywhere but England but would quite happily have a Trullo in Puglia in which to escape for the odd month as the urge took me.

Blog Entries
    I lived on a barrier Island ,Sanibel on the Florida gulf and just loved it and twenty years later would go back if it were possible right now in North Essex and i love it here just a little more sun would be the icing on the cake
    Last edited by mart broad; 29th March 2020 at 20:19.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I don't do the UK winter very well these days - hate the grey, wet days.

Love where I live but a better climate would suit me fine!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I lived on a barrier Island ,Sanibel on the Florida gulf and just loved it and twenty years later would go back if it were possible right now in North Essex and i love it here just a little more sun would be the icing on the cake
    ^^^ This ^^^

Sanibel, Captiva or North Captiva (to get there, a small plane would be very nice)

M

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Funny that Noosa has already come up...my brother lives in Eatons Hill just north of Brisbane and it's got a lot going for it...the sunshine coast to the north and Brisbane just a short train/car journey away.

I used to live in Eatons Hill.

I've never really got the 'Noosa' thing. The UK has its share of beautiful seaside/surfy hotspots.

It would be back to Cornwall for me.

As xellos99 mentions, the reality is very different.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    I've never really got the 'Noosa' thing. The UK has its share of beautiful seaside/surfy hotspots.
    I’d have agreed with you in the past but things change. Spending 5 weeks in Aus/NZ in winter was lovely and Noosa I guess was the icing on the cake. There’s probably 10,000 Noosa’s around the world that would be just as good.

I think for me I’ve always struggled in winter - not so much the cold, although that’s a factor, it’s the dark and gloomy feel. Getting up in the dark and going home when it’s dark.

I’ve just turned 50 so have comfortably coped with 50 winters, but I can dream of spending 3 months abroad in winter waking up to the sun and warmth and feeling relaxed. Then coming back to the U.K. where the late spring, summer and early autumn are quite beautiful.

Some interesting responses here :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post

Never heard of Noosa and had to look it up but didn't look too pleasant few months ago. Aren't these wildfires and the heat a worry for the future?

Blog Entries
    We are very happy here in Chichester, and by the sea, off Girona

Lovely countryside, both places, and having some 310 days of sunshine annually in Girona, that's more than good enough
    Great food, both places.....

So far, so very good

Master
    I’d never heard of Anna Maria island so I’ve learned something from this thread worth exploring. Have been to Clearwater and enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Never heard of Noosa and had to look it up but didn't look too pleasant few months ago. Aren't these wildfires and the heat a worry for the future?
    We stayed in Noosa Heads in November and the fires were around and was quite frightening for true locals. There’s various views on true fires and truth be told it would probably put me off emigrating there, though it’s still somewhere I’d love to spend time in winter. My wife Has family further north in Hervey Bay and they say every year it seems a little hotter and a little drier and a bit more worrying. There’s so many opinions on it, it’s a debate that could go on forever.

Quite happy where i am being just a mile from the Coast so best of Coast and Country ...But

Anna Maria island is where we usually spend the winters we first visited in 1981 and have been back nearly every year..

The Rod and Reel Pier holds special memories..Ice cold beer great food and all night fishing...

Our daily 6 mile walk from Holmes beach to the Pier along the beach every morning nothing better...

Only place overseas that I've thought I'd really like to live is the Azores.

In the UK, somewhere by the sea.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I would split my time between Rural Herefordshire where I live now and Cap d' Antibes where we holidayed for 15 years in a family members apartment.

Master
    I'd like a coastal view, used to have Poole harbour from one bedroom window and Corfe Castle out of the other which was lovely, but I'd like to live properly by the sea.

We often talk about emigrating to Australia or New Zealand but the wife has strong family ties hence not doing it, maybe one day.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

South West London, South Devon, The Mediterranean (Balearic Islands probably) and Antigua.

We move countries every four years or so and have enjoyed everywhere that we've lived, but could happily settle in Canada.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

France - probably the Vaucluse or Drome.

Master
    Cephalonia, no if's but's, just Cephalonia. North east going out on the mountain road from Agia Efimia, beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Cephalonia, no if's but's, just Cephalonia. North east going out on the mountain road from Agia Efimia, beautiful.
    That’s where the Mrs family are from (the family home is 2km west of Agia Efimia ) so know it well as we go every year. It’s a lovely spot.

For me I like West London and always gravitate back here that said I love the Zambezi valley and could spend half my life there with ease (currently do at least a month a year). I would need to come back to London on a regular basis though.

Sicily
    Preferably South coast .

Master
    I’d like to be living on a yacht in the middle of the Caribbean right about now..

Craftsman
    For me it has to be Northern Spain, worked there from Santander in the east to La Corunna in the west,
    Gjion would be my perfect location, great way of life.

Master
    Vancouver

I live in South Wales...in the Rhondda valley.

I spend about 4-6 weeks of the winters in Thailand (usually Jan -March time)..it was my "intention" to retire this June...then spend the winter in Thailand (but to come home for Christmas...then go back again In January)....indeed...Id even booked the ticket...from September until December....but with all thats going on........Going to Thailand in September...is not going to happen....."maybe/hopefully"! I will be able to go in the new year......will have to wait and see though!

Im 60...so as I say...that was my "plan"..i was meant to be giving my notice in....around about now!..will put it off, until the picture (hopefully!) becomes a bit clearer!

Im still at work, Im meant to be a "key worker", as i drive trains...so thats something at least...........though at my age? I wouldnt mind being furloughed...........I know lots and lots of people are being furloughed, some losing their jobs too..so I "thought" id be really gutted I wont be able to retire now, and spend the winters etc in Thailand...(Id be looking forward to it for years and years!)........seeing how badly other people are affected though? It no hardship for me......Im still working still getting a salary...which is more than many many many (including my daughter) arent.

Stay safe everybody.

ps...Ive mentioned Im 60...Im "old school".......................but? My hands are in a terrible state being washed ,it seems every few minutes! What cream/lotion etc etc do you "new man"! types recommend for my hands please!? Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    ps...Ive mentioned Im 60...Im "old school".......................but? My hands are in a terrible state being washed ,it seems every few minutes! What cream/lotion etc etc do you "new man"! types recommend for my hands please!? Lol!
    E45,

Not that I've ever been described as a "new man".
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I have been fairly prolific in my travels and the best place on earth must be the Cotswolds. Just a lovely civilised place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    E45,

Not that I've ever been described as a "new man".
    Cheers!

Another driver at work was putting some of the very same stuffon his hands today!

I got some "cream or lotion type stuff!" from my daughter...its doing the trick so far.

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post

Good enough for Norwegian fishermen. That's old school for you
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    As long as the kids are young I prefer it here in Finland, schools are great, kids are happy and the daily life is easy. Somehow things work really well here.

However, I do not like the weather that much, especially now that the winters are getting worse and worse. My favorite hobby has been cycling for 20 years now, and if I'd choose a place to live it would be based on the possibilities to ride all year round in a nice scenery. Mallorca would be a good choice for that, but maybe the island is too small and touristy. I also love Italy, the perfect spot would the Chianti valley, somewhere between Montepulciano and Cortona, middle of the valley. I also like the Basque country, but the weather in winter can be quite bad also and I prefer the Italian food and culture.

Maybe one day!

We're currently in London and outside the Corona situation loving it here. However we've often talked about where else we would live.

Bali and Singapore are on the top of the list.

In Europe we've always liked Copenhagen, and with the current situation Germany is making themselves an attractive option at the moment.

Within the UK we would consider a place like Oxford but less prone to flooding.

Where would you live?

Where would do you live?

1) Countryside of the South Hams in Devon.
    2) Coast of the Gulf of Aqaba.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Good enough for Norwegian fishermen. That's old school for you
    Cheers for that!

I got some "cream or lotion type thing!" from my daughter....seems to be doing the trick!

Happy here in Spain for now, even on lockdown life is still pretty good, nice views, lots of garden, ample terraces for jogging, 25 m long putting range, once the weather sorts' itself out I'll open the swimming pool up so even if this thing stretches into the Summer, this situation works well.
    Just gutted I haven't got the pool table ordered in February, delivered before the lockdown.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I live in rural Kent a short drive from the coast, handy for Dinghy sailing, cycling and walking.

We are thinking about retirement living and have concluded we’d prefer to be in more of a town as we get older as right not we have to drive to do anything. Of for now but as we get older walking or a short cycle to do things is more appealing.

When fully retired I’d like to spend a month or two of the winter in the sun but can’t see myself buying a second property to achieve that, will just rent a place so we can move around.

What I don’t get when people talk about relocating, what about your friends and family?

I wouldn’t want to leave them all behind and clear off to Devon.
    Last edited by Montello; 30th March 2020 at 12:42.

I'm happy where I am to be honest, it's a nice area and I know a lot of people round here.

I love visiting Fla, nice weather, Caribbean type beaches and all that outdoorsy stuff so could probably live there but to be honest homes best IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Northern Spain or Slovenia.
    If I wasn’t married I’d be a dive master on a boat in Curaçao.

5th Avenue, NY NY.

Journeyman
    Santorini

Master
    Currently live in Bedfordshire, about as boring as you can get but that's good when you are raising kids.
    Once the kids are self sufficient and presuming money is no object (it would be barring a lotto win or similar) I'd probably embrace a nomadic lifestyle touring the world and seeing the sights. If i had to settle in 3 or 4 places I'd probably divide my time between North Devon, Vancouver Canada and Krabi province Thailand.

I'm in the place I've chosen to be and Berlin has the right balance of cultural activity, bars & nightlife together with access to the great outdoors. I miss proximity to the sea (I grew up in Dublin) and the winters can seem a bit long and grey at times but our summers are generally glorious. The one other city I could move to in a heartbeat is Vienna and if the right job came up (it's a big UN hub city) I'd think about it very hard.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watson’s Bay outskirts of Sydney. The morning commute to the City is breathtaking on the ferry, also with Doyle’s Restaurant and Chippy is a fantastic place to live

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Currently live in Bedfordshire, about as boring as you can get but that's good when you are raising kids.
    Once the kids are self sufficient and presuming money is no object (it would be barring a lotto win or similar) I'd probably embrace a nomadic lifestyle touring the world and seeing the sights. If i had to settle in 3 or 4 places I'd probably divide my time between North Devon, Vancouver Canada and Krabi province Thailand.

Listen, we have the Bedford River Festival*. If you haven't been to that, then you haven't lived.

*Festival runs every other year, as it really is possible to have too much fun.
    So clever my foot fell off.

The Greek island of Symi.

South Western corner of France.
    I could surf near Biarritz, get into the pyrenees easily, head over to Spain with ease as well.
    Geographically, it's perfect.

Split or Brac for me.

Master
    We went to both last summer, loved them, especially Bol on Brac.

Craftsman
    SW England, and a combination of Ilha Grande (Brazil), Milos/Samos/Kefalonia, coastal NZ (South island) & maybe somewhere Lake Louise (Canada). That should do it for starters.