closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where would you live?

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yes in Michigan, I have relatives there. Why? Didn't you like it?
    Done quite a bit of travelling in the US - some of it is a bit 'edgy', suppose it's down to how small town you want to go?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quite happy where i am being just a mile from the Coast so best of Coast and Country ...But

Anna Maria island is where we usually spend the winters we first visited in 1981 and have been back nearly every year..

The Rod and Reel Pier holds special memories..Ice cold beer great food and all night fishing...

Our daily 6 mile walk from Holmes beach to the Pier along the beach every morning nothing better...

The Greek island of Symi.

South Western corner of France.
    I could surf near Biarritz, get into the pyrenees easily, head over to Spain with ease as well.
    Geographically, it's perfect.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I live in rural Kent a short drive from the coast, handy for Dinghy sailing, cycling and walking.

We are thinking about retirement living and have concluded we’d prefer to be in more of a town as we get older as right not we have to drive to do anything. Of for now but as we get older walking or a short cycle to do things is more appealing.

When fully retired I’d like to spend a month or two of the winter in the sun but can’t see myself buying a second property to achieve that, will just rent a place so we can move around.

What I don’t get when people talk about relocating, what about your friends and family?

I wouldn’t want to leave them all behind and clear off to Devon.
    Last edited by Montello; 30th March 2020 at 12:42.

I'm happy where I am to be honest, it's a nice area and I know a lot of people round here.

I love visiting Fla, nice weather, Caribbean type beaches and all that outdoorsy stuff so could probably live there but to be honest homes best IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Funny that Noosa has already come up...my brother lives in Eatons Hill just north of Brisbane and it's got a lot going for it...the sunshine coast to the north and Brisbane just a short train/car journey away.

So anywhere near there would be my perfect location
    I used to live in Eatons Hill.

I've never really got the 'Noosa' thing. The UK has its share of beautiful seaside/surfy hotspots.

It would be back to Cornwall for me.

As xellos99 mentions, the reality is very different.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    I've never really got the 'Noosa' thing. The UK has its share of beautiful seaside/surfy hotspots.
    I’d have agreed with you in the past but things change. Spending 5 weeks in Aus/NZ in winter was lovely and Noosa I guess was the icing on the cake. There’s probably 10,000 Noosa’s around the world that would be just as good.

I think for me I’ve always struggled in winter - not so much the cold, although that’s a factor, it’s the dark and gloomy feel. Getting up in the dark and going home when it’s dark.

I’ve just turned 50 so have comfortably coped with 50 winters, but I can dream of spending 3 months abroad in winter waking up to the sun and warmth and feeling relaxed. Then coming back to the U.K. where the late spring, summer and early autumn are quite beautiful.

Some interesting responses here :-)

Gstaad or Kitzbuhel
    Maybe Zermatt
    Seriously considered Austria a couple of years ago
    Big open spaces and a good standard of living with only 8m in the whole country.

Master
    Somewhere along the coast between Lisbon and Cascais.

Master
    Northern Spain or Slovenia.
    If I wasn’t married I’d be a dive master on a boat in Curaçao.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Funny that Noosa has already come up...my brother lives in Eatons Hill just north of Brisbane and it's got a lot going for it...the sunshine coast to the north and Brisbane just a short train/car journey away.

So anywhere near there would be my perfect location
    Never heard of Noosa and had to look it up but didn't look too pleasant few months ago. Aren't these wildfires and the heat a worry for the future?

Blog Entries
    We are very happy here in Chichester, and by the sea, off Girona

Lovely countryside, both places, and having some 310 days of sunshine annually in Girona, that's more than good enough
    Great food, both places.....

So far, so very good

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Since moving down to Chichester last year we’ve never been happier, pretty much perfect but our idea of paradise would be time split in the north of Anna Maria Island on the Gulf Coast.
    Ha ha we had planned our holiday to Anna Maria island for mid July. Fingers crossed it still happens and any advice gratefully received!

I have lived all over the UK and have some visited some beautiful places but not sure I could settle in any one place but it would have to be coastal!

Craftsman
    Love living exactly where I am; 7 mins walk to a stunning beach in the country, a few miles from a town often voted best in Scotland to live in and only 23 min train ride to Edinburgh.

Another fan of the north of Anna Maria island. Slight preference for City Pier over Rod and Reel Pier, and also the Waterfront restaurant. Watching a live band, a fantastic sunset then some great shrimp food on City Pier is just one of many great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Cephalonia, no if's but's, just Cephalonia. North east going out on the mountain road from Agia Efimia, beautiful.
    That’s where the Mrs family are from (the family home is 2km west of Agia Efimia ) so know it well as we go every year. It’s a lovely spot.

For me I like West London and always gravitate back here that said I love the Zambezi valley and could spend half my life there with ease (currently do at least a month a year). I would need to come back to London on a regular basis though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

Good enough for Norwegian fishermen. That's old school for you
    Cheers for that!

I got some "cream or lotion type thing!" from my daughter....seems to be doing the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    E45,

Not that I've ever been described as a "new man".
    Cheers!

Another driver at work was putting some of the very same stuffon his hands today!

I got some "cream or lotion type stuff!" from my daughter...its doing the trick so far.

Master
    I’d never heard of Anna Maria island so I’ve learned something from this thread worth exploring. Have been to Clearwater and enjoyed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Never heard of Noosa and had to look it up but didn't look too pleasant few months ago. Aren't these wildfires and the heat a worry for the future?
    We stayed in Noosa Heads in November and the fires were around and was quite frightening for true locals. There’s various views on true fires and truth be told it would probably put me off emigrating there, though it’s still somewhere I’d love to spend time in winter. My wife Has family further north in Hervey Bay and they say every year it seems a little hotter and a little drier and a bit more worrying. There’s so many opinions on it, it’s a debate that could go on forever.

Split or Brac for me.

Master
    We went to both last summer, loved them, especially Bol on Brac.

5th Avenue, NY NY.

Journeyman
    I've been living away from Northumberland for a few years now - in the Middle East generally but I think that's coming a close.

Recently travelled to Oz/NZ but its simply too far away to stay connected with family.

I'll probably take a punt on Singapore or Canada before heading home but a place in Tuscany is the dream - post virus, of course.

Idea for an Anna Maria Island GTG held in Slims Bar. First round of Beach Blonde Ale on me!

Journeyman
    Santorini

Master
    Currently live in Bedfordshire, about as boring as you can get but that's good when you are raising kids.
    Once the kids are self sufficient and presuming money is no object (it would be barring a lotto win or similar) I'd probably embrace a nomadic lifestyle touring the world and seeing the sights. If i had to settle in 3 or 4 places I'd probably divide my time between North Devon, Vancouver Canada and Krabi province Thailand.

I'm in the place I've chosen to be and Berlin has the right balance of cultural activity, bars & nightlife together with access to the great outdoors. I miss proximity to the sea (I grew up in Dublin) and the winters can seem a bit long and grey at times but our summers are generally glorious. The one other city I could move to in a heartbeat is Vienna and if the right job came up (it's a big UN hub city) I'd think about it very hard.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watson’s Bay outskirts of Sydney. The morning commute to the City is breathtaking on the ferry, also with Doyle’s Restaurant and Chippy is a fantastic place to live

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I'd love to live in Berlin. I enjoy that city so much and miss it if I dont get to go often enough. I understand that going as a visitor is different to living and working there but the place, the people and the history all serve to make me feel so comfortable.
    I lived there for two years, awesome city and not hugely different living there to visiting, it's just cool

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app

Geneva probably ticks the most boxes for me.

Craftsman
    SW England, and a combination of Ilha Grande (Brazil), Milos/Samos/Kefalonia, coastal NZ (South island) & maybe somewhere Lake Louise (Canada). That should do it for starters.

I live in Farnborough, Hampshire and would like to live in a house around the corner from us.

The house is a bit smaller and to be honest doesn't look as well looked after as ours. However, I've seen the lady that lives there, out running a few times. Tiny little glued on shorts.

Runs too fast for me to catch so I want to make sure she showers properly.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    I lived there for two years, awesome city and not hugely different living there to visiting, it's just cool

Sent from my SM-G977B using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quite a few of us living in Berlin at the moment. We should sort a GTG once the lockdown ends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy living here in Darlington. We are minutes away from the coast, barely an hour from the Lake District, and the beautiful Yorkshire dales are near too.
    I can hop onto the A1 within 2 minutes to go north or south.
    Like others, Berlin would be my choice abroad after Alan (CB) has kindly shown me round much of it.

A small village in the foot hills of the Alps above Menton.
    Makarska on the Adriatic in Croatia.
    Füssen in Bavaria .

All these have stuck me as nice places to live.

There are of course too many to list. Not many in the IK.
    I’ve begun to hate the place.

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    Makarska on the Adriatic in Croatia.
    Had an amazing holiday there a couple of years ago beautiful part of the Dalmation coast!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Had an amazing holiday there a couple of years ago beautiful part of the Dalmation coast!
    I was there a couple of years ago too. We watched the World Cup semi final there.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Currently live in Bedfordshire, about as boring as you can get but that's good when you are raising kids.
    Once the kids are self sufficient and presuming money is no object (it would be barring a lotto win or similar) I'd probably embrace a nomadic lifestyle touring the world and seeing the sights. If i had to settle in 3 or 4 places I'd probably divide my time between North Devon, Vancouver Canada and Krabi province Thailand.

Listen, we have the Bedford River Festival*. If you haven't been to that, then you haven't lived.

*Festival runs every other year, as it really is possible to have too much fun.
    So clever my foot fell off.