closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Will kits

Blog Entries

Will kits

Hi, but of advice needed, been looking at those Will kits online, amazon and the like, are they legal?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

You might be surprised at how reasonably a solicitor will sort one out for you.

I had a Yarm firm do mine last year. PM for details if you like.

Master
    If it’s a solicitor you have a relationship with they often don’t charge

But even if they do charge, for all it costs it’s not worth not doing it properly and with advice.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice guys

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Are any solicitors open at the moment?

It is surprisingly easy to put together a legal will - but always best to have a legal bod have a look over things for you. You may also benefit from some tax advice at the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Most of the firms I know are.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries
    Just do it properly go to a proper Solicitor trust me your dependents will thank you.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Most of the firms I know are.
    All our local firms have shut their doors. Maybe they're offering online services only?

All our local firms have shut their doors. Maybe they're offering online services only?
    Maybe, I’m dealing with three firms by email each week at the minute - the world still turns.
    It's just a matter of time...

I updated mine a few weeks ago with my regular solicitor, they told me that they are rammed with people wanting to make wills.

My wife is a receptionist at a solicitors, they are in the middle of free will month with various charities, Essex Air Ambulance is one of them, you get your will free in return for leaving a donation to the charity.

Having sat with a solicitor and made a will I would never try and write my own, it’s all what if’s that you need to think about and if you have children it gets even more complex.

Master
    Post office do a kit just fill in details.

Best to take proper professional advice - there are often subtleties associated with a will that the kits do not cover or explain.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 29th March 2020 at 21:38. Reason: typo
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    My wife is a receptionist at a solicitors, they are in the middle of free will month with various charities, Essex Air Ambulance is one of them, you get your will free in return for leaving a donation to the charity.
    We did ours a couple of years ago on a similar basis. Looking around this seems to be an fairly regular practise. Worth keeping an eye open in the local press, well in more predictable times anyway.

My wife works at a solicitors, they are all working from home thanks to the cloud, best investment they ever made.

Conveyancing has died but Estates (wills, LPAs) have gone through the roof!

They have to be extremely careful, posting documents through letterboxes and witnessing signatures through windows. I think she said it’s a legal right to draw up a will so access can’t be denied even to hospitals (although her company will decline that).

It’s definitely worth getting it done professionally like most things but you may struggle as lots have closed or might be busy with current clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    As above, many charities will, for a bequest, have a will written for you.

I've attempted an online will but thought it best to see a solicitor. Not worth getting it wrong.

"Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

They are.

My wife is the book-keeper for a group of solicitors and they are all working, primarily from home though there is still the need to visit the office for some essential work. Moving their software onto LEAP a few months ago has proven to be a Godsend!

As T1ckT0ck says above, the conveyancing side has dropped off a cliff but the work on wills, etc is more than making up for it.

They are waiting for the divorce work to pick up soon ;-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I've attempted an online will but thought it best to see a solicitor. Not worth getting it wrong.
    Probably goes without saying but will anyway, a solicitor is no guarantee it won't be wrong (could tell a few stories of staggering incompetence through to borderline theft)

If your potential estate is significant/complex especially, I'd strongly recommend doing some reading so you have an idea of the potential options open to you, in advance of any action. As you say, getting it wrong can be devastating and/or absurdly expensive particularly when it comes to IHT.

Anyone with a significant/complex estate potential would well advised to thoroughly investigate the reputation and expertise of their potential choice(s)

We haven't updated our wills for quite a while, we now have kids for example, are there such things as joint wills between spouses? What Im getting at is I doubt ours will be different to each others, everything goes to the surviving spouse etc.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    We haven't updated our wills for quite a while, we now have kids for example, are there such things as joint wills between spouses? What Im getting at is I doubt ours will be different to each others, everything goes to the surviving spouse etc.
    In the uk you are right. There is always the event where both spouses "Go" at once though...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    In the uk you are right. There is always the event where both spouses "Go" at once though...
    Apparently we never go anywhere together anyway so I expect we’ll be ok. 🥺
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Apparently we never go anywhere together anyway so I expect we’ll be ok. 梁

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Post office do a kit just fill in details.
    Figures from the Co-operative Legal Services (CLS) suggest that poorly drafted or ineffective DIY wills are to blame for a prolonged probate ordeal for 38,000 families a year.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...wills-mistakes

Having been executor for both my parents (without proper legal wills) it was a nightmare. Do your beneficiaries a favour and have a professional will drafted.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post

Our wills are 'everything to the other' but then have a clause about what happens if we both go within 30 days of each other. They were drawn up by a solicitor. Makes sense as someone I used to work with has succumbed to Covid-19 and his wife is on a ventilator :(