closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: House move during lockdown

House move during lockdown

Are there any estate agents or solicitors on here who’ve had advice about potential house moves during this lockdown?

Whilst our new build home is still in the planning stage we’re renting but all set to move to a new rental next week. The house we’re leaving won’t be having new tenants for a while and will be left vacant and the new house is also vacant.

Looking for clarification from the Gov Covid advice I read it that it should be put on hold, however speaking to the agents and both sets of landlords (all working from home in lockdown...) and the removal guys (who are desperate to work) everyone saying it should go ahead.

I cant see it can, the missus and I are about to put it on ice but just wonder if there’s anyone, ANYONE, who knows one way or t’other?

Master
    My son moved from his rented flat - yesterday - had no option he couldn't postpone.

furniture not delivered though now sleeping on the floor :-(

B

Master
    I don’t see how removal people could work and comply with the social distancing/essential journey requirements?

The buyer of my empty house pulled out 2 weeks ago just before exchange citing fears over the virus and her vulnerability, and I get that fear.

I’ve also got a friend whose sale of an empty property is very near to completing, but the conveyancer and buyer have now asked for the chimney to be swept, and an electrical condition survey to be carried out (neither of which are legal requirements). Good luck getting those sorted currently. It feels like can kicking maybe in the hope prices fall?

I think the housing market is effectively on hold, the estate agent for my sale can’t legally show people around the house, they are only doing essential leaving processes around renting, and getting people in who have signed a rental agreement. Removals are another problem.

Many solicitors are stopping or at the very least working from home, the same with mortgage departments in banks.

It’s a dilemma, but I wouldn’t be happy asking people to risk themselves for something that doesn’t have to happen.

Master
    I think if the business is not required to shut, it can operate - but obviously no-one is forced to:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close-guidance#businesses-and-premises-that-must-remain-closed

This could cover removals:

2. Work carried out in people’s homes

Work carried out in people’s homes, for example by tradespeople carrying out repairs and maintenance, can continue, provided that the tradesperson is well and has no symptoms.

Again, it will be important to ensure that Public Health England guidelines, including maintaining a two-metre distance from any household occupants, are followed to ensure everyone’s safety.

No work should be carried out in any household which is isolating or where an individual is being shielded, unless it is to remedy a direct risk to the safety of the household, such as emergency plumbing or repairs, and where the tradesperson is willing to do so. In such cases, Public Health England can provide advice to tradespeople and households.

No work should be carried out by a tradesperson who has coronavirus symptoms, however mild."
    Last edited by David_D; 29th March 2020 at 12:44.

I think that it is still technically possible but f you don't absolutely have to, don't do it. The govt. could introduce even tighter restrictions overnight making it impossible for the removals team to work.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

This is not going to be easy at the moment , there was a piece on the BBC news yesterday about this . I think some trade bodies/ unions saying NO and some saying Yes !

As with all this its anyones guess !

Here it is, in black & white:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/governme...id-19-outbreak

This is the official government guidance, issued 3 days ago. (FWIW, we are due to complete on 9th April).

Master
    My mate was supposed to be moving in to his new house this weekend and it's all gone belly up

My brother in law was due to complete last week and it was all put on hold the day it should have happened. Thankfully, as it stands everyone still wishes to go ahead when the restrictions are lifted. Let’s hope it stays that way for everyone in the same boat.

I’ll be moving imminently. I don’t see the problem. For the most part, I’ll be moving my own stuff - but it would be possible for a removal firm to move the majority of boxes, and remain a safe distance from each other, and me.

They can generally pick up boxes from the old place and leave them in the garage at the new one, and I’d sort it out from there - might bit a hassle with some larger items, but we will sort it out.

Thankfully, I’m in no immediate rush to empty one property completely to the other. But other people might not be so lucky - and I’m not sure how well placed set up the sellers of the new place are, but they have been in touch quite a lot to proceed ASAP.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Here it is, in black & white:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/governme...id-19-outbreak

This is the official government guidance, issued 3 days ago. (FWIW, we are due to complete on 9th April).
    Well that is pretty useful, and really does mean that most people can proceed - as long as they follow the guidelines etc.

We will see. Hopefully, I’ll be isolating in a slightly more relaxed environment very soon.
    It's just a matter of time...