timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

Craftsman
    Absolutely loving the mesh bracelet. 😍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Picked up a bracelet from Kieran recently for my 147 and really pleased with how it looks. Lovely size and within a couple of seconds a day, what’s not to like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Was that the bracelet on SC ?
    I was procrastinating as usual and then it sold!!!
    Looks great on your watch, I'll need to buy one now

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

As the Seiko 62MAS reissue watches are a bit expensive for me, I took another one with the Seiko SII NH35 calibre.
    Decent quality an a lot of watch for the money! Full happy with it!

As I'm member of the Greek Watch Forum, they arranged one with personalised dial:

https://www.greekwatchforum.gr/index...opic=14492.270

Here is mine:

Last edited by Jo Hande; 16th October 2020 at 17:31. Reason: slow loading ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Was that the bracelet on SC ?
    I was procrastinating as usual and then it sold!!!
    Looks great on your watch, I'll need to buy one now

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    It was indeed and I’m very pleased with the result, would highly recommend

Journeyman
    I think this blue version is one of the coolest Seiko release within this year.
    Model: SPB149J1
    Photo by myself :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post
    That's a brilliant photo. You really made the blue pop with that!

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hondzax View Post
    That is an awesome picture 👍

Journeyman
    @RAJEN thank you!

Have you enhanced it digitally? I like it, but all other photos make it look quite a dull blue.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    @OldHooky I used reflection desk directed on to the dial. Which helped to blue to pop up. And then I just add a bit of contrast while cleaning the dust.

Thanks. So the photos one generally sees are more or less accurate of the real colour? Shame if that’s the case as IMHO it’s a bit neither one thing nor the other. Then again, Seiko are notorious for images which bear only a passing resemblance.

Journeyman
    I think it really depends on a light conditions. When you pull it out for Sun, than it looks like on my photo. When somewhere in shade then the colors ale a bit less vibrant. However it looks still more live than on official photos.
    I had a similar experience with new Seiko Cocktail Time SRPE47 and it's colors. On official photos it looks (at least to my eye) completely different than in reality. On official photos it looks like very rich pink. But in reality it looks more decent salmon pink.

Master

Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

No sunshine here, so no chance of catching the beautiful brown sunburst, but I can assure it’s very obvious when the sun is out.

The brown Tropic, on the other hand, sets it off rather well, I feel - although I’m not massively enamoured by the square cut ends of this particular strap (it’s a genuine Tropic)

Last edited by MadeOfCheese; 17th October 2020 at 14:57.

Thanks Hondzax

I think it’s photos like this which have, until now, put me off. But your shots reignite my interest.

Today, I’m trying the 149 on a Zuludiver rubber strap in blue. I think it’s a rebranded Bonetto Cinturini to judge by the material and scent. I rather like it, aside from a bit of awkwardness at the lugs. Brings out the blue in the dial a bit, IMO...

And looking at the discussion above, I’ve tried to get a couple of additional photos, low morning sunshine, to show how the colour changes - very hard to capture but ranges from a grainy grey to a lovely sunburst blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    That's some giant-killing!

It says something about the quality of the watch that, even at +25spd, I'm still wearing it! It just right.

In This picture the Seiko looks like a Tudor. Very nice picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Caminos View Post
    In This picture the Seiko looks like a Tudor. Very nice picture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Subjective but I personally think it looks nicer than any of the Tudor models with the added bonus it’s less half the price!

Thanks PC. Think it’s confirmed it’s not a colour for me. Shame.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Cheeky plug for a lovely SPB143J1 on SC now :-)

Master
    Autumn sun’s last gasp, possibly.
    There’s definitely more sunburst to the dials than the Seiko press shots would have you believe, as long as you’re able to catch them.

Don’t suppose anyone has seen one of these out in the wild in the north east? I’ve checked the usual suspects in Newcastle/metro centre but no sign of them. Would love to see one next to the new Willard, really struggling to decide which I prefer

Craftsman
    My first mechanical watch was a SPB149J1 which I bought in August. When I first tried it on with the steel bracelet I was surprised at the weight. I had only worn cheap quartz digitals before, which are a lot lighter. So swap the Seiko onto the rubber strap that also comes with it, but that didn't feel very comfortable--a bit "pinchy". I now wear the watch on a €12,50 navy blue NATO strap from Watchbands:

The NATO strap is a lot more comfortable, however on my 17 cm circumference wrist is a little bit long. In the picture above you can see I usually tuck the tail in. Here is a picture without it tucked in:

Overall I think the SPB149J1 is a great first watch, but in future I will always check the weight of any new potential purchases.

Craftsman
    Hi guys,

I have ordered the spb147. Can anyone please tell me what size spring bars they use? Is it the fat ones or standard ones? I am trying to find a Milanese strap which fits but none for the fat Seiko spring bars!

Many thanks,
    Chi Kai

Master
    I don’t think it comes with fat ones. I don’t use the rubber and I’ve fitted various straps using normal generic spring bars, which work just fine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I don’t think it comes with fat ones. I don’t use the rubber and I’ve fitted various straps using normal generic spring bars, which work just fine.
    Cheers!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Bit of a departure today: a WatchGecko mesh bracelet. I wanted something in keeping with the size of the watch, so in between super-heavy shark mesh and dressy Milanaise. I had to do a little adjusting of the end pieces to remove the quick release bars fitted and accommodate some 2mm “fat end” bars, but that was easy enough.

I think it looks rather good, in a retro sort of way. This could end up being my bracelet of choice...

Hi,

Nice look! I would like to do something similar. Can I ask which watch gecko mesh strap you used and why you needed to swap out the spring bars please?

You mentioned 2mm spring bars but all the mesh/ Milanese straps on watch gecko seem to take only 1.8mm spring bars.

Many thanks,
    Chi Kai

Wearing my 149 today, just for a change!

Master

I agree: it's one of this year's coolest Seiko releases – a giant killer.

Master
    Bumping an old thread, but has anyone seen or heard of any further rumours on any LEs on this? I see back at the time Ryan mentioned a rumoured Zimbe.
    I was hoping for a funky dial colour like the previous reissue PADI or similar. The Save the Ocean was good, but the black bezel was a bit dull!
    I like my 55th Anniversary, but fancy shifting it for something with a bit more ‘pop’! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Bumping an old thread, but has anyone seen or heard of any further rumours on any LEs on this? I see back at the time Ryan mentioned a rumoured Zimbe.
    I was hoping for a funky dial colour like the previous reissue PADI or similar. The Save the Ocean was good, but the black bezel was a bit dull!
    I like my 55th Anniversary, but fancy shifting it for something with a bit more ‘pop’! 

Since this thread went cold, Seiko have issued several of what they generally (but not consistently...) term "1965 Diver's Modern Re-interpretation" SEs, plus some new colour variants; some have since vanished from the catalogue, and there were inevitably some region-specific varieties as well.
    Being Seiko, they don't put them all in one place, nor consistently call them all the same thing, nor give them model numbers that form any kind of consistent series...! Consequently no one search term will show them all up. SFAICS, they're all in the SPB1nn and SPB2nn series, apart from the expensive versions that are closer to the original 62MAS with fancier movements, which are SLA0nn range. Enjoy the hunt...

Master
    Appreciate the response. I was aware of the other gilt dial one (prefer that to the original release) and the STO one. Wasn’t aware of others!
    Seen the newer SLA065 which is sort of an SLA variant of these with the 8L35 movement; initially I wasn’t impressed, but a few proper photos have piqued my interest in it. Could be tempted at some point…

Master
    Blog Entries
    If Seiko did an exact copy of the 62MAS it would sell like hot cakes ... all the reissues just look like bloated versions of the previous classic.

I like the SLA017 and 037 & 043 but they are all too big ...

Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If Seiko did an exact copy of the 62MAS it would sell like hot cakes ... all the reissues just look like bloated versions of the previous classic.

I like the SLA017 and 037 & 043 but they are all too big ...
    I’d hardly call them big; I had an SLA043 which I felt was a bit dainty. I ended up swapping it for three of the SPB models which, to me at least, seem more rugged.

I currently have the grey dial 143 on a bracelet and a 297 Save the ocean on a blue rubber. The blue one is worn during BST and the grey one during GMT.

Master
    Sbdc059, also known as the spd081j1, same watch but world wide vs jdm. One was limited to 1000 watches and one 2000 and something... Errr 2018 possibly, the number of pieces was the year it was issued. Anyway, it's the green dial, gold markers, gold hands (arrow handset). If you want bright colours that pop, then take a look. I may have one that I could part with.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’d hardly call them big; I had an SLA043 which I felt was a bit dainty. I ended up swapping it for three of the SPB models which, to me at least, seem more rugged.

I currently have the grey dial 143 on a bracelet and a 297 Save the ocean on a blue rubber. The blue one is worn during BST and the grey one during GMT.
    I guess it’s all relative. The original was a 38mm watch which I’d say is a good size for a skin diver. But then I prefer smaller watches as I have slimmer wrists.

I’d hardly call them big; I had an SLA043 which I felt was a bit dainty.
    Have to agree, I'm thinking of moving my SLA043 on as I find it a little on the small side; beautiful watch in all other ways mind...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Have to agree, I'm thinking of moving my SLA043 on as I find it a little on the small side; beautiful watch in all other ways mind...
    It’s a watch I’ve come very very close to buying several times, but there’s always been something that’s held me back a bit. I think I just really want to see one before buying. A shame you’re so far away, as I could still be tempted…

It doesn't help that it's such a difficult watch to get a truly representative photograph of - depending on lighting it can look brash and blingy, or it can look dark and dull, but in the metal it's neither, just classy and beautifully finished - GS-tier.

It doesn't help that it's such a difficult watch to get a truly representative photograph of - depending on lighting it can look brash and blingy, or it can look dark and dull, but in the metal it's neither, just classy and beautifully finished - GS-tier.
    As an ex owner, j have to agree, it’s a fantastic watch. I’d call it a pretty watch, certainly neither dark/dull or brash/blingy.

Craftsman
    Whilst I've got one or two watches that I tend to wear only in short sleeve weather, I suspect having a summer and winter collection may be a dangerous thing :)

The older I get, the less interested I am in Rolex et al and the appeal of Seiko and similar priced pieces grows….

Master
    Yeah I’ve seen some pictures where it’s almost indistinguishable. Like I said it’s very tempting, just not sure whether it would fit into my collection. Kind of missed the boat a bit really, but hard to commit when you want to see one. I viewed several GSs before I bought my first, but would be interested to see how they compare side-by-side. Maybe if I have a little sell off, your 043 would work…

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Sbdc059, also known as the spd081j1, same watch but world wide vs jdm. One was limited to 1000 watches and one 2000 and something... Errr 2018 possibly, the number of pieces was the year it was issued. Anyway, it's the green dial, gold markers, gold hands (arrow handset). If you want bright colours that pop, then take a look. I may have one that I could part with.
    I had one of those, that’s the previous 62mas reissue the larger (42mm) one. Great watch, but a little big for me.

Master
    That's right, it's a sudden case that is larger, I think it's actually 43mm but perhaps not. The case is very well chamfered though and like most large Seiko it wears extremely well. However if you're after the closer vintage sizing rather than a modern reinterpretation, it's too big.

Master
    As an ex owner, j have to agree, it’s a fantastic watch. I’d call it a pretty watch, certainly neither dark/dull or brash/blingy.
    Agreed, very attractive in the metal. I've rarely had people comment on my watches but I received compliments on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    Whilst I've got one or two watches that I tend to wear only in short sleeve weather, I suspect having a summer and winter collection may be a dangerous thing :)
    I thing so grand im afraid, it was the only way I could justify keeping them both.