closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

Quote Originally Posted by dforgrieve View Post
    I absolutely agree with the idea of replacing the rattily clasp. If anyone finds a decent replacement, please post a link. Can you buy the MM300 clasp separately?
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=K0AS11WD06G

If it's anything like the MM200 or Sumo it will need a link putting back on as the MM300 clasp is smaller.

Master

Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

Strapcode bracelets and clasps are excellent. Not cheap, usually around £150 or more (depending on design) once fees etc have been paid from US, but the quality is much better than cheaper alternatives in my experience.

Edit to add: they’ve just added a tapered shark mesh to the range which looks like a perfect complement to this watch...

Master

What do we think of it on shark mesh?

Note: I must just say how brilliant WoS/ Goldsmiths have been, btw. They don’t get a lot of love on here, but I bought my SPB147 from them online.
    Arrived the following day and I was overjoyed, until I put a photo of it into this thread, and @boring_sandwich noticed that the paint around the pip was ragged.
    Got in touch with customer services via email, they responded within two days, turned around an exchange within one day of receipt, and now I have a second perfect example on my wrist.
    Really happy with that, excellent service.

This was the original. Invisible to the naked eye, but once it had been pointed out, it completely ruined it for me:

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    What do we think of it on shark mesh?
    That looks both great, and terrible. The mesh looks great, and the pip looks terrible. I'll have to go and check mine now.

Master
    Also, can we show some appreciation for the indices and hands? It’s not GS level, but it’s pretty smart:

Seiko Prospex 62 MAS SBP 149j1

I just received an SPB149 in trade, and I have to say I am somewhat surprised by it. I wasn't expecting this sort of quality in the finish, in particular - the brushing and polishing on the case sides is super sharp and I absolutely love the hands, too. It's one of those designs that just strikes me as being "right" - the size is good, the dial's a beauty, I personally really like the proportions of the bezel and the gold accents on the dial and seconds hand really work for me. Oh, and the rubber strap is lovely, too - really heavyweight, but super-soft. I know there's been a lot of noise about the relentless Northward drift of Seiko's prices, but I feel the quality and finish on this one still represents great value for money, even at over £1,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Well the one I posted is 40mm, rather than the 44mm of the unlimited versions, so there's one out there for you!
    The unlimited production models are 40mm as well.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    im after a SPB147.. stupidly missed a 15% off code recently on one of the online retailers. anyone seen any good deals on them?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    im after a SPB147.. stupidly missed a 15% off code recently on one of the online retailers. anyone seen any good deals on them?
    I paid £782 for mine from a company called watchco, no problems at all would use them again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I like everything about my 149 except the accuracy - a very reliable and constant +25spd at the moment, which is not good for a modern auto, IMHO.

Sorry, ranty, ranty coming - I'm a huge Seiko fan but why oh why do they insist on continuing with the awful Prospex 'X' logo on all these dials - it's fuggly beyond belief and adds nothing, just the opposite.

I like everything about my 149 except the accuracy - a very reliable and constant +25spd at the moment, which is not good for a modern auto, IMHO.
    Classic Seiko timekeeping.....the 6R series watches, are they also unregulated like the 4 movements?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Classic Seiko timekeeping.....the 6R series watches, are they also unregulated like the 4 movements?
    Once regulated they can be very accurate. I'm quite lucky that mine has settled to +2spd consistently after a month of ownership. Anything over 5spd would annoy me but it's within Seiko 'spec' :(

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Once regulated they can be very accurate. I'm quite lucky that mine has settled to +2spd consistently after a month of ownership. Anything over 5spd would annoy me but it's within Seiko 'spec' :(

That’s what i hear. The joys of all being machine made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine's about the same in terms of gaining time. Nice Pilot you have there!

"A man of little significance"

Mine’s been running reasonably well, it’s gained 16 seconds since Tuesday morning, so roughly +7spd. Not exactly COSC but not bad either.

I don’t really have a sufficiently classy pen for this sort of photo, but in the spirit of the above:

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Mine’s been running reasonably well, it’s gained 16 seconds since Tuesday morning, so roughly +7spd. Not exactly COSC but not bad either.

I don’t really have a sufficiently classy pen for this sort of photo, but in the spirit of the above:
    Nothing wrong with a Kaweco! I've gone one myself, somewhere in it's little tin!

That's a nice Pilot, Foxy100 - and I think you've made me think a little about these good (yet still mass-produced, machine made) items. They're good, and good value, but the machine-made aspect means that the quality control always suffers. See Seiko's recent bezel/rehault alignment issues. And I've what should be an identical Metro to hand that should write as well as the black one. But it's thin, and scratchy, and I hate it.

The price we pay, perhaps for automation.

The beauty of fountain pens is you can buy really nice ones on eBay for not an awful amount of money. I like a Sheaffer Targa, I now have two, one with a gold nib and one steel. Each came in at about £30 and while the needed a thorough clean and the nibs adjusting slightly (fingernails!) they both write beautifully - better than my modern Montblanc 146. I'm sure the Targas were also machine made but you can pick up Parkers with lovely gold nibs for a tenner (a medium nib Parker 17 working properly is a fantastic thing and remarkably cheap). You probably know all of this already! My Pilot Custom from 1973 is great though, it was close to £100 from Japan all in but well worth it.

And I seem to have fallen on my feet with this Seiko, everything is in line without having to look at it through a magnifying glass. Just that cheap and bloody rattly clasp...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    I paid £782 for mine from a company called watchco, no problems at all would use them again.

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    sold out

I love the contrast between the polished and brushed sides.

Journeyman
    looks good on the strap!

Journeyman
    I think the 70 hour pr movement really puts this one ahead of its competition in the price range and I'm having a hard time resisting it!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'm having trouble wearing anything but these two, usually swapping between the two every day.

Now I'm wearing the rubber strap from the SPB149J on the SLA023J1 (albeit with a smaller and less intrusive Seiko buckle) I might put the adjustable clasp from the latter on the bracelet for the former. Although I think the colour of the metal may be slightly off. Best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'm having trouble wearing anything but these two, usually swapping between the two every day.
    Yeah, I'm going something similar here, too, with my SPB149 and SLA039. Both LEs, both on nylon, both watches, saving the rubber in the box for incase I sell them!

Mine has settled nicely to +5spd, that’s being worn in the day and left dial-up overnight. It’s not the best performing Seiko movement I have (the 6R15 in the Great Blue Hole MM200 turns in a reliable +3spd and my Snowflake a frankly hilarious +0.1spd!) but I think 5 seconds a day is completely acceptable.

It’s really growing on me, this - though I have been oscillating between thinking it’s one of the best watches I’ve had recently, and wondering whether it’s really that special... Then I see one of the details - the treatment of the hands, say, or the way the polished and brushed surfaces interact - and I’m back to thinking it’s wonderful. The dial is particularly marvellous, I love the different colours it has.

I have to say, Eric looks less than fully convinced.

And with its dressier, shinier, spring-drivier cousin - I really don’t think the finish levels on the 149 are shameful in this company.

Master
    I absolutely love the SPB149. Non stop on my wrist for a month now, so much so, I've sold off my other watches (GMTc, BBGMT, Heuer) as they are not getting any chance of being worn.

Something about this watch that makes it so easy to own and wear. Great size, incredible legibility, and 'cheap' enough not to baby it or worry about being ripped from your wrist, and it's a limited edition so satisfies the 'exclusivity' side of owning a sought-after watch.

Accuracy has always been a pet peeve of mine, but happy that this one is now +1 to +2spd which I am more than happy with wearing it 24/7. Also it's pretty silent when wearing during sleeping too - unlike the Rolex which has a slight whine..

That's some giant-killing!

It says something about the quality of the watch that, even at +25spd, I'm still wearing it! It just right.

Master

I couldn’t agree more.

Since March I’ve been wfh and I’ve almost exclusively worn my Apple Watch 5. So much so that I’ve decided I’ll be having a huge cull of my watch collection.

The 147 is the *only* watch I’ve worn apart from the Apple Watch. It’s also the *only* watch I’ve bought during lockdown.

Mine also runs fast (not sure how fast, but fast enough to notice) but I still love it.

(Edit: damn you Tapatalk, and your brazen dismissal of all punctuation!)
    Last edited by MadeOfCheese; 28th September 2020 at 13:47.

I couldn’t agree more.

Since March I’ve been wfh and I’ve almost exclusively worn my Apple Watch 5. So much so that I’ve decided I’ll be having a huge cull of my watch collection.

The 147 is the *only* watch I’ve worn apart from the Apple Watch. It’s also the *only* watch I’ve bought during lockdown.

Mine also runs fast (not sure how fast, but fast enough to notice) but I still love it.

(Edit: damn you Tapatalk, and your brazen dismissal of all punctuation!)
    That looks absolutely FG on a mesh strap - where did the strap come from, please?

Master
    Thanks! (What does FG mean..?)

It’s an eBay special, cost about £20. I’ve had it on my original Willard for years, just trying it for size. It’s really good, but only has about 5mm of adjustability on the clasp, so you have to be very careful when you cut the links (dremel) to size.

On the basis of this tryout, I think I’m gonna get a Strapcode tapered sharkmesh :

https://www.strapcode.com/products/m...3aeebfc7&_ss=r

Polished for me, I think, although brushed is also available.

I have a couple of Strapcode bracelets and they’re very well made, worth the extra expense IMO.

Thanks!
    Thank you for that, most helpful.

(What does FG mean..?)
    Um. It means "Great", preceded by an emphatic word which our host would disapprove of my setting out in full.

Just a couple of pictures of my 149. It really is a lovely little watch. (Little! At 40mm!)

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post

They also look good on a tropic, I think:

AE837347-8D2F-426F-B562-C7DC07380517 by Berty234, on Flickr
    Like this look on the Tropic's, I will be putting one on mine.

Can anyone confirm the number of clicks the bezel should have on a 62mas modern reissue, it 60 or 120?

Master

My 147 has 60, although there’s also a softer “almost click” in between each full click...

Edit: aaargh! I hate the way Tapatalk removes all punctuation!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Can anyone confirm the number of clicks the bezel should have on a 62mas modern reissue, it 60 or 120?
    My SPB149 has a 120 click bezel. Didn't realise some had 60.. surely that's not right.

Master

Ok you’ve made me double check now. That soft click does actually prevent the bezel from going back, so I suppose strictly speaking it’s a 120 click. There’s a very pronounced difference between the full minute click and the half minute click though.

On reflection, I’d say definitely 120 click. Sorry for the confusion.

Master
    I don't know the exact terminology but it's more the bezel click springs. When it clicks, one click spring locks onto one of the 60 teeth slot, while the other click spring is in between two teeth slots. So effectively 120 clicks.

If you turn it slowly, you can feel one side of the bezel clicking into place, then the other one on the other side. This is how Seiko do their 120 clicks. Rolex have a single click spring, and 120 teeth bezel ring.

Thanks I can feel it and count the 120 clicks now!
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 13th October 2020 at 19:31.

I’ve been experimenting with NATOs and other things... I reckon the 149 looks really good on a Haveston “Sabre”. Got some mesh and various other bits to try, too.

Master
    Ooh yes, that looks smart.
    Never heard of these Haveston straps before, and TZ seems to be full of them at the mo.

Having had the 143 on a nato since receiving it I switched today to a Tropic ‘original’ and although subjective I feel it’s the perfect match.

Last edited by boring_sandwich; 14th October 2020 at 14:32.

Master
    Having had the 143 on a nato since receiving it I switched today to a Tropic ‘original’ and although subjective I feel it’s the perfect match.

That works

Master
    Picked up a bracelet from Kieran recently for my 147 and really pleased with how it looks. Lovely size and within a couple of seconds a day, what’s not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat7 View Post
    Picked up a bracelet from Kieran recently for my 147 and really pleased with how it looks. Lovely size and within a couple of seconds a day, what’s not to like.

Looks great on your 147.

Master

You’ve inspired me to get a brown one for the 147, Kieran. Reckon it’ll look great.

You’ve inspired me to get a brown one for the 147, Kieran. Reckon it’ll look great.
    They really are in a different league to any of the other tropic straps and defiantly worth the money.

I would use Watch Obsession as they post out the same day and a pleasure to deal with.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 14th October 2020 at 19:32.

Bit of a departure today: a WatchGecko mesh bracelet. I wanted something in keeping with the size of the watch, so in between super-heavy shark mesh and dressy Milanaise. I had to do a little adjusting of the end pieces to remove the quick release bars fitted and accommodate some 2mm “fat end” bars, but that was easy enough.

I think it looks rather good, in a retro sort of way. This could end up being my bracelet of choice...

Master
    Yeah, that works nicely. I think you’re right about the medium weight mesh suiting the weight of the watch.