closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 109

Thread: Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,344

    Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

    Seiko releasing another modern reinterpretation of the 62mas, i quite like them being smaller and non arrow hand versus the 42mm spb051..




  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,295
    Here's the (first) re-issue - bought off Scott a few months ago

    SLA017



    just wonder why they have that extra bevel

    call me a "grumpy" old man - but I feel the text is also un-balanced on the newer watch
    Last edited by BillN; 29th March 2020 at 11:20.

  3. #3

    Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

    I really like these. Like you, the smaller size, the different handset and the dial colour choices look really nice. I also really like the new 6105 reissue for this year too, oh and the new smaller Alpinist models.

    But as lovely as all these new Seikoís are.... there is one small problem......... the PRICE!

    I think all these new models will be around the £1K mark! What happened to the reason most of us fell in love with Seiko to begin with? - fantastic value for money and quality?

    I realise that Seiko are trying to lift their brand higher in terms of targeting a slightly higher end in the watch market, but in real terms, many of the Seiko collectors like me are becoming largely frozen out of purchasing these new models due to the pricing.

    Unfortunately, due to the pricing, as much as I like all of these new models, Ií will probably struggle to be able to purchase any of them.

    Actually quite saddening from a brand I have collected and loved for many years.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Cartagena, Spain
    Posts
    11,470
    Agreed that's a week or two's wages for most and nice as they are, they're not so amazing I think to really be worth it, especially post corona. Just my view.

  5. #5
    Master Glen Goyne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    3,190
    Agree with most comments here. The earlier release still looks better but is in a completely different league.

    Also agree the prices of new Seiko models have gone up quite a bit. At least for me they have moved to an area where it is now easier to resist impulse buying . On the other side most brands have gone up in pricing and they are simply slipstreaming/catching up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Blackwood, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Agreed that's a week or two's wages for most and nice as they are, they're not so amazing I think to really be worth it, especially post corona. Just my view.
    More like three or four weeks wages for most, not on here probably but out in the real world.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Here's the (first) re-issue - bought off Scott a few months ago

    SLA017



    just wonder why they have that extra bevel

    call me a "grumpy" old man - but I feel the text is also un-balanced on the newer watch
    Agree the SLA017 is still the one to have, the new releases are more a move closer to the SLA017/62MAS in terms of design and size and further away from the SPB051.

    New references have ref SPB143 145 and 149.

  8. #8
    Craftsman Russ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    653
    I sort of did this for myself last year. Start with an 053. A Yokobies hand set and ceramic bezel. A seiko steel bracelet from the black dialed version and I love it.



    I might add that I bought the stuff, Olivier did all the hard work and a fantastic job too.
    Last edited by Russ; 29th March 2020 at 13:12.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,258
    Iím sure it wonít get any love from the faux vintage haters, but the SPB147 looks absolutely beautiful to me.
    I may have to seek one out. Are these released yet?


  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The Las Vegas of Lancashire
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Iím sure it wonít get any love from the faux vintage haters, but the SPB147 looks absolutely beautiful to me.
    I may have to seek one out. Are these released yet?

    Iíve been told late June/July by the local Seiko independent where I have my order in for one of these 😎

    Cheers
    Martin

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I sort of did this for myself last year. Start with an 053. A Yokobies hand set and ceramic bezel. A seiko steel bracelet from the black dialed version and I love it.



    I might add that I bought the stuff, Olivier did all the hard work and a fantastic job too.
    That's an attractive mod........

    I really dislike the "arrow" hands, particularly the "fat" hour hand, that Seiko have puts on quite a few on their recent watches

  12. #12
    Nice looking watches but I couldn't buy one. Each time I'd look at it I'd be reminded that it isn't an SLA017.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nice looking watches but I couldn't buy one. Each time I'd look at it I'd be reminded that it isn't an SLA017.
    It's not hugely inferior to the SLA017 is it? The movement maybe, but anything else?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It's not hugely inferior to the SLA017 is it? The movement maybe, but anything else?
    The hands are almost deliberately worse and from what I can see it doesn't have the same domed saphhire. Harsh to say but it's a "poor man's" SLA017 and you would be forever reminded of that. Bit like buying an Evoque when you've always had your heart set on a Vogue.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The hands are almost deliberately worse and from what I can see it doesn't have the same domed saphhire. Harsh to say but it's a "poor man's" SLA017 and you would be forever reminded of that. Bit like buying an Evoque when you've always had your heart set on a Vogue.
    It does have a domed sapphire and hands look fine to me. Plus it has a ceramic insert. So I do not really agree with your assertion. See here - https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko...5-specs-price/

  16. #16
    Grand Master Dave E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckingham, UK
    Posts
    16,693
    I rather like that. Good size and a sensible looking handset. Price looks fairly chunky, though!
    Dave E

    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,344

    Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

    Arguably the new modern reissue is better than the SLA017 and at a third of the price...comes with an extra steel bracelet and 20 hours extra power reserve 70 hours vs 50. Both have rubbish stated accuracy no where near chronometer, but thatís normal seiko and can be regulated.
    Last edited by ac11111; 30th March 2020 at 22:02.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,344
    I will probably get the dark grey one on bracelet and then put it on an Uncle Seiko black waffle strap. A nice everyday wear.

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    431
    I really like that and can see myself trying to get hold of one. Although, as the asking price is a little steep, it may be one to keep an eye out for used sometime down the line.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,658
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The hands are almost deliberately worse and from what I can see it doesn't have the same domed saphhire. Harsh to say but it's a "poor man's" SLA017 and you would be forever reminded of that. Bit like buying an Evoque when you've always had your heart set on a Vogue.
    A wee bit harsh on it I think.
    Nice looking watch and a nice size.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    That's an attractive mod........

    I really dislike the "arrow" hands, particularly the "fat" hour hand, that Seiko have puts on quite a few on their recent watches
    That's a really nice mod, I'm in agreement about the hands the - standard hands are horrible

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    I really like that and can see myself trying to get hold of one. Although, as the asking price is a little steep, it may be one to keep an eye out for used sometime down the line.
    When compared to say Oris 65 itís not too bad, but agree definitely not as great value as before, so I would say fair overall.

  23. #23
    Craftsman gerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Seiko releasing another modern reinterpretation of the 62mas, i quite like them being smaller and non arrow hand versus the 42mm spb051..



    Yup. I like those. Bugger....

    Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,295
    I still prefer the older stuff

    I have a 7025-8099 - the Poor Man's 62MAS from 1977

    39mm (I think including the very small crown), so 39mm - 44mm lug to lug - 18mm lugs
    Plexiglass

    it keep really accurate time and is lovely to wear

    Last edited by BillN; 31st March 2020 at 18:25.

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Iím sure it wonít get any love from the faux vintage haters, but the SPB147 looks absolutely beautiful to me.
    I may have to seek one out. Are these released yet?

    I do like that and the size is good. Though comparing it to the SLA017 it's clear that it would look even better without the Prospex X logo.

  26. #26
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    50
    they do look great, especially SPB147
    Last edited by aph123; 2nd April 2020 at 11:08.

  27. #27
    I might eat my previous words on this. Just seen this on Instagram and looks great. As usual the Seiko pictures were terrible. Wonder if they'll have alignment issues. I rejected the new limited edition black Sumo for terrible alignment two weeks ago.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-erDvlobeM/

  28. #28

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,258
    Where would be the best place to get one of these in the UK?
    Jura? Goldsmiths? Who tends to get beat supply of new models?

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I might eat my previous words on this. Just seen this on Instagram and looks great. As usual the Seiko pictures were terrible. Wonder if they'll have alignment issues. I rejected the new limited edition black Sumo for terrible alignment two weeks ago.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-erDvlobeM/
    Wowzers, yup that looks a lot better than Seiko press release pics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lon-doodly-ondon.
    Posts
    370
    Dang, i really like that instagram pic. Pretty pricey though!

  32. #32
    This looks great! Can't wait to see some more
    Pics.

  33. #33
    Grand Master Dave E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buckingham, UK
    Posts
    16,693
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I still prefer the older stuff

    I have a 7025-8099 - the Poor Man's 62MAS from 1977

    39mm (I think including the very small crown), so 39mm - 44mm lug to lug - 18mm lugs
    Plexiglass

    it keep really accurate time and is lovely to wear

    That's lovely.
    Dave E

    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Seiko releasing another modern reinterpretation of the 62mas, i quite like them being smaller and non arrow hand versus the 42mm spb051..



    Oh dear, I can see a re-shuffle coming on. Anyone know where I can pre-order the SPB143?

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Down south jukin
    Posts
    3,023
    Blog Entries
    1
    what exactly does 62mas mean is it more than one watch?

  36. #36
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks gorgeous, but yeah... that price :/

    As nice as it is, I think I'd stick with the SLA017.

    Whoever gets one though, we need hands-on photos!

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    644

    Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    what exactly does 62mas mean is it more than one watch?
    .. it is now, yes - as there are reissues.. originally is either of a 6217-8000 or 6217-8001. 62 presumably from the 6217 calibre movement and Ďímasí from contraction of autoMAtic Selfdater. Ikigai watches have a good read into details on the originals from the late 60s - ditto Thewatchblokeís blog..
    sla017 was the first reissue from a couple of years back - but bigger than the original .. due to be at least another couple of reissues this year in differing colour ways - leaked seiko release that was pulled detailed them..

    al


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alslater; 13th April 2020 at 14:29.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmunnday View Post
    Looks gorgeous, but yeah... that price :/

    As nice as it is, I think I'd stick with the SLA017.

    Whoever gets one though, we need hands-on photos!
    I'd take the SLA017 over it any day but at that price difference I couldn't justify the SLA017.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,821
    Iím really keen to see this. I had two of the other Ďmodernisedí reissues, the PADI and the green dial LE, thought the PADI model was fantastic, the dial was amazing - but they were just too big for me. Iím hoping that these fit better and that some colourful fun dials are released.

    Itís solved my only real frustration with the other SPBs.

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    459
    So many Seiko reissues these days ,most of them look good but creeping up in price .I saw on hodinkee they are putting out new versions of the quartz tunas

    Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

  41. #41
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I might eat my previous words on this. Just seen this on Instagram and looks great. As usual the Seiko pictures were terrible. Wonder if they'll have alignment issues. I rejected the new limited edition black Sumo for terrible alignment two weeks ago.

    https://www.instagram.com/p/B-erDvlobeM/
    No chapter ring on the 143 or 151, printed on the dial finally. Do we know yet who’s stocking these in the U.K.?
    Last edited by oiljam; 13th May 2020 at 22:46.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    And the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZFdTJOz5qI&t=11s

    At around a grand the price seems OK to me, I got a the similarly priced Seiko Prospex 200M SPB077 at 50% off from John Lewis, which was a bargain but still worthy of it's RRP. No doubt these new models will be discounted in a year or two.

  43. #43
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,216
    I'd say it looks pretty much perfect. Well apart from the X of course. And the date.

  44. #44
    No doubt the clasp is a POS but so far looks seriously nice. Would be that Vs the new Captain Willard for me.

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,344
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I'd say it looks pretty much perfect. Well apart from the X of course. And the date.
    Yes wish they would remove the X on all Prospex dials, like they purposely just made all dials a bit worse in one bold branding decision. Canít see them backtracking on the X though, here to stay.

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Coast
    Posts
    1,821
    The Limited Edition model (SPB149J) is now listed on Seiko UK website, £1200.
    No sign of the regular models yet.

    https://www.seikowatches.com/uk-en/p...ospex/spb149j1

  47. #47
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    75
    Once the prices settle down on these, Iím gonna find them really hard to resist. Altho am torn between picking up the 143 or waiting for the rumoured new version of the mm200 with the non hideous hands. Decisions decisions


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    Hopefully the 143 won't take too long to turn up!

  49. #49
    I keep seeing pictures of this watch and writing it off then pictures like these pop up and I want it immediately. Think it probably needs to be seen in the metal.

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I keep seeing pictures of this watch and writing it off then pictures like these pop up and I want it immediately. Think it probably needs to be seen in the metal.
    The more pics I see, the more I like it over the new Willards. I agree, they 'pop'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information