closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

Master

Another Seiko 62mas modern reissue

Seiko releasing another modern reinterpretation of the 62mas, i quite like them being smaller and non arrow hand versus the 42mm spb051..

Master
    Here's the (first) re-issue - bought off Scott a few months ago

SLA017

just wonder why they have that extra bevel

call me a "grumpy" old man - but I feel the text is also un-balanced on the newer watch
    Last edited by BillN; 29th March 2020 at 11:20.

I really like these. Like you, the smaller size, the different handset and the dial colour choices look really nice. I also really like the new 6105 reissue for this year too, oh and the new smaller Alpinist models.

But as lovely as all these new Seiko’s are.... there is one small problem......... the PRICE!

I think all these new models will be around the £1K mark! What happened to the reason most of us fell in love with Seiko to begin with? - fantastic value for money and quality?

I realise that Seiko are trying to lift their brand higher in terms of targeting a slightly higher end in the watch market, but in real terms, many of the Seiko collectors like me are becoming largely frozen out of purchasing these new models due to the pricing.

Unfortunately, due to the pricing, as much as I like all of these new models, I’ will probably struggle to be able to purchase any of them.

Actually quite saddening from a brand I have collected and loved for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed that's a week or two's wages for most and nice as they are, they're not so amazing I think to really be worth it, especially post corona. Just my view.

Agree with most comments here. The earlier release still looks better but is in a completely different league.

Also agree the prices of new Seiko models have gone up quite a bit. At least for me they have moved to an area where it is now easier to resist impulse buying . On the other side most brands have gone up in pricing and they are simply slipstreaming/catching up.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Agreed that's a week or two's wages for most and nice as they are, they're not so amazing I think to really be worth it, especially post corona. Just my view.
    More like three or four weeks wages for most, not on here probably but out in the real world.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Here's the (first) re-issue - bought off Scott a few months ago

SLA017

just wonder why they have that extra bevel

call me a "grumpy" old man - but I feel the text is also un-balanced on the newer watch
    Agree the SLA017 is still the one to have, the new releases are more a move closer to the SLA017/62MAS in terms of design and size and further away from the SPB051.

New references have ref SPB143 145 and 149.

I sort of did this for myself last year. Start with an 053. A Yokobies hand set and ceramic bezel. A seiko steel bracelet from the black dialed version and I love it.

I might add that I bought the stuff, Olivier did all the hard work and a fantastic job too.
    Last edited by Russ; 29th March 2020 at 13:12.

Master
    I’m sure it won’t get any love from the faux vintage haters, but the SPB147 looks absolutely beautiful to me.
    I may have to seek one out. Are these released yet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I’m sure it won’t get any love from the faux vintage haters, but the SPB147 looks absolutely beautiful to me.

I’ve been told late June/July by the local Seiko independent where I have my order in for one of these 😎

Cheers
    Martin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I sort of did this for myself last year. Start with an 053. A Yokobies hand set and ceramic bezel. A seiko steel bracelet from the black dialed version and I love it.

I might add that I bought the stuff, Olivier did all the hard work and a fantastic job too.
    That's an attractive mod........

I really dislike the "arrow" hands, particularly the "fat" hour hand, that Seiko have puts on quite a few on their recent watches

Nice looking watches but I couldn't buy one. Each time I'd look at it I'd be reminded that it isn't an SLA017.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nice looking watches but I couldn't buy one. Each time I'd look at it I'd be reminded that it isn't an SLA017.
    It's not hugely inferior to the SLA017 is it? The movement maybe, but anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It's not hugely inferior to the SLA017 is it? The movement maybe, but anything else?
    The hands are almost deliberately worse and from what I can see it doesn't have the same domed saphhire. Harsh to say but it's a "poor man's" SLA017 and you would be forever reminded of that. Bit like buying an Evoque when you've always had your heart set on a Vogue.

The hands are almost deliberately worse and from what I can see it doesn't have the same domed saphhire. Harsh to say but it's a "poor man's" SLA017 and you would be forever reminded of that. Bit like buying an Evoque when you've always had your heart set on a Vogue.
    It does have a domed sapphire and hands look fine to me. Plus it has a ceramic insert. So I do not really agree with your assertion. See here - https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko...5-specs-price/

I rather like that. Good size and a sensible looking handset. Price looks fairly chunky, though!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Arguably the new modern reissue is better than the SLA017 and at a third of the price...comes with an extra steel bracelet and 20 hours extra power reserve 70 hours vs 50. Both have rubbish stated accuracy no where near chronometer, but that’s normal seiko and can be regulated.
    Last edited by ac11111; 30th March 2020 at 22:02.

Master
    I will probably get the dark grey one on bracelet and then put it on an Uncle Seiko black waffle strap. A nice everyday wear.

I really like that and can see myself trying to get hold of one. Although, as the asking price is a little steep, it may be one to keep an eye out for used sometime down the line.

Master
    A wee bit harsh on it I think.
    Nice looking watch and a nice size.

Master
    That's an attractive mod........

I really dislike the "arrow" hands, particularly the "fat" hour hand, that Seiko have puts on quite a few on their recent watches
    That's a really nice mod, I'm in agreement about the hands the - standard hands are horrible

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    I really like that and can see myself trying to get hold of one. Although, as the asking price is a little steep, it may be one to keep an eye out for used sometime down the line.
    When compared to say Oris 65 it’s not too bad, but agree definitely not as great value as before, so I would say fair overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Seiko releasing another modern reinterpretation of the 62mas, i quite like them being smaller and non arrow hand versus the 42mm spb051..

Yup. I like those. Bugger....

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I still prefer the older stuff

I have a 7025-8099 - the Poor Man's 62MAS from 1977

39mm (I think including the very small crown), so 39mm - 44mm lug to lug - 18mm lugs
    Plexiglass

it keep really accurate time and is lovely to wear

Last edited by BillN; 31st March 2020 at 18:25.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post

I do like that and the size is good. Though comparing it to the SLA017 it's clear that it would look even better without the Prospex X logo.

Journeyman
    they do look great, especially SPB147
    Last edited by aph123; 2nd April 2020 at 11:08.

I might eat my previous words on this. Just seen this on Instagram and looks great. As usual the Seiko pictures were terrible. Wonder if they'll have alignment issues. I rejected the new limited edition black Sumo for terrible alignment two weeks ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-erDvlobeM/

Master
    Where would be the best place to get one of these in the UK?
    Jura? Goldsmiths? Who tends to get beat supply of new models?

Master
    I might eat my previous words on this. Just seen this on Instagram and looks great. As usual the Seiko pictures were terrible. Wonder if they'll have alignment issues. I rejected the new limited edition black Sumo for terrible alignment two weeks ago.

Wowzers, yup that looks a lot better than Seiko press release pics.

Craftsman
    Dang, i really like that instagram pic. Pretty pricey though!

This looks great! Can't wait to see some more
    Pics.

I still prefer the older stuff

I have a 7025-8099 - the Poor Man's 62MAS from 1977

39mm (I think including the very small crown), so 39mm - 44mm lug to lug - 18mm lugs
    Plexiglass

it keep really accurate time and is lovely to wear

That's lovely.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post

Oh dear, I can see a re-shuffle coming on. Anyone know where I can pre-order the SPB143?

Master
    Blog Entries
    what exactly does 62mas mean is it more than one watch?

Journeyman
    Looks gorgeous, but yeah... that price :/

As nice as it is, I think I'd stick with the SLA017.

Whoever gets one though, we need hands-on photos!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    what exactly does 62mas mean is it more than one watch?
    .. it is now, yes - as there are reissues.. originally is either of a 6217-8000 or 6217-8001. 62 presumably from the 6217 calibre movement and ‘’mas’ from contraction of autoMAtic Selfdater. Ikigai watches have a good read into details on the originals from the late 60s - ditto Thewatchbloke’s blog..
    sla017 was the first reissue from a couple of years back - but bigger than the original .. due to be at least another couple of reissues this year in differing colour ways - leaked seiko release that was pulled detailed them..

al

Last edited by alslater; 13th April 2020 at 14:29.

Quote Originally Posted by manicmunnday View Post
    Looks gorgeous, but yeah... that price :/

As nice as it is, I think I'd stick with the SLA017.

Whoever gets one though, we need hands-on photos!
    I'd take the SLA017 over it any day but at that price difference I couldn't justify the SLA017.

Master
    I’m really keen to see this. I had two of the other ‘modernised’ reissues, the PADI and the green dial LE, thought the PADI model was fantastic, the dial was amazing - but they were just too big for me. I’m hoping that these fit better and that some colourful fun dials are released.

It’s solved my only real frustration with the other SPBs.

Craftsman
    So many Seiko reissues these days ,most of them look good but creeping up in price .I saw on hodinkee they are putting out new versions of the quartz tunas

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

No chapter ring on the 143 or 151, printed on the dial finally. Do we know yet who’s stocking these in the U.K.?
    Last edited by oiljam; 13th May 2020 at 22:46.

And the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZFdTJOz5qI&t=11s

At around a grand the price seems OK to me, I got a the similarly priced Seiko Prospex 200M SPB077 at 50% off from John Lewis, which was a bargain but still worthy of it's RRP. No doubt these new models will be discounted in a year or two.

I'd say it looks pretty much perfect. Well apart from the X of course. And the date.

No doubt the clasp is a POS but so far looks seriously nice. Would be that Vs the new Captain Willard for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I'd say it looks pretty much perfect. Well apart from the X of course. And the date.
    Yes wish they would remove the X on all Prospex dials, like they purposely just made all dials a bit worse in one bold branding decision. Can’t see them backtracking on the X though, here to stay.

Master
    The Limited Edition model (SPB149J) is now listed on Seiko UK website, £1200.
    No sign of the regular models yet.

https://www.seikowatches.com/uk-en/p...ospex/spb149j1

Once the prices settle down on these, I’m gonna find them really hard to resist. Altho am torn between picking up the 143 or waiting for the rumoured new version of the mm200 with the non hideous hands. Decisions decisions

Hopefully the 143 won't take too long to turn up!

I keep seeing pictures of this watch and writing it off then pictures like these pop up and I want it immediately. Think it probably needs to be seen in the metal.

I keep seeing pictures of this watch and writing it off then pictures like these pop up and I want it immediately. Think it probably needs to be seen in the metal.
    The more pics I see, the more I like it over the new Willards. I agree, they 'pop'.