closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cyclists?

Master
    This is my 'nice' bike. Deda Nerissimo frame which won the Bikeradar/Cycling Plus bike of the year a few years back but with Campag Chorus 11s and now with a set of Neutron Ultras on it. A pure Italian steed that climbs like a mountain goat, corners like it's on rails and weighs under 7kg. It's so much fun to ride. This is the last day of two weeks self-isolation so will be heading out tomorrow. It's disappointing that some people are breaking the rules and going out with people from other homes etc. I really hope it doesn't ruin it for the majority who are adhering to the rules.

Edit: The location doesn't do much for this photo

Master
    And this is the winter steed on the turbo. I'll soon dismantle it and rebuild with 10s Ultegra. For a winter bike it's lovely to ride

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I recognise your ID from the TT forum.

I’m not road riding at the moment.

My consultant orthopaedic mate gave me a stark warning

- William Harvey have virtually shut down fracture clinic and orthopaedic operations - if you come off your bike expect a nurse to patch up as best as poss and then wait significant time for any operation or further work required - and don’t whinge when your limb is permanently deformed as a consequence  basically if you ride outside just go really really carefully as no back up available 

Personally I think people should cycle for getting to work and going to the shops and maybe a short local ride.

People doing 50 mile rides are taking risks and are potentially putting an undesirable strain on the NHS should an accident occur. Bit selfish imho.

I’m limiting myself to running now outdoors.
    I didn’t realize running outdoors was completely risk free.

I'm sticking to my turbo

I'm a very keen cyclist / triathlete and I have decided to stick to my turbo. I decided this after chatting to a few friends in the NHS and I felt that should I have an off then I couldn't justify my actions to myself or the NHS staff that would have to deal with me as a result of the off. I am still running 2-3 times a week outside on a pretty much deserted river path roughly 500m from my home, if I owned a treadmill I would be running on that.

I have a turbo set up and I am quite happy on the turbo (though happier outside) so it was a no-brainer for me, plus with Trainerroad here's a chance for some structured training to get my FTP up, every cloud... Others may feel differently and that's their call as long as they follow the current UK guidelines then I have no criticisms of them.

Those who choose to unfairly criticise cyclists now are probably the same ones who unfairly criticise cyclists in more normal times, lets just ignore the troll, try to discuss things rationally and help each other through the difficult times. I can't help thinking if my biggest problem is trying to decide to ride in or outdoors then I'm pretty lucky.

Be safe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by den77 View Post
    I'm a very keen cyclist / triathlete and I have decided to stick to my turbo. I decided this after chatting to a few friends in the NHS and I felt that should I have an off then I couldn't justify my actions to myself or the NHS staff that would have to deal with me as a result of the off. I am still running 2-3 times a week outside on a pretty much deserted river path roughly 500m from my home, if I owned a treadmill I would be running on that.

I have a turbo set up and I am quite happy on the turbo (though happier outside) so it was a no-brainer for me, plus with Trainerroad here's a chance for some structured training to get my FTP up, every cloud... Others may feel differently and that's their call as long as they follow the current UK guidelines then I have no criticisms of them.

Those who choose to unfairly criticise cyclists now are probably the same ones who unfairly criticise cyclists in more normal times, lets just ignore the troll, try to discuss things rationally and help each other through the difficult times. I can't help thinking if my biggest problem is trying to decide to ride in or outdoors then I'm pretty lucky.

Be safe.
    Well said , sums it up nicely from another turbo hater, who will be on it later today :)

Apprentice

My machine for the daily exercise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice

And the one for little rides

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    In a lock down, you stay inside. Cycling is not a necessary activity. We are in a lock down.
    I suggest you read the government's instructions a bit more carefully.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In a lock down, you stay inside. Cycling is not a necessary activity. We are in a lock down.
    Authorities say otherwise.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Been out on my Brompton a few times since lockdown.

Had it serviced before Xmas and changed my B17 saddle for a Lepper Lounger for more comfort. Lovely saddle, full thick leather saddle base with soft latex inner core and a soft suede nubuck outer. Very comfy if a little unstylish.

Yesterday I even got the strava ap, just for fun as I would never share my meagre efforts.

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rishie View Post
    It’s not but I’m far less likely to have an accident and become a unnecessary burden on the NHS than if I ride. Its my choice, I know plenty are out doing long rides, that’s their choice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    And this is the winter steed on the turbo. I'll soon dismantle it and rebuild with 10s Ultegra. For a winter bike it's lovely to ride

Snap. Same colour and everything, albeit built up with Campag. Terrific frames.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Snap. Same colour and everything, albeit built up with Campag. Terrific frames.
    I’m definitely a Campag man at heart but have somehow ended up with one bike with Shimano, one with SRAM red (the middle bike) and the summer steed is full Italian. For me nothing feels or works quite like Campag

Cyclists?

I’m cycling a few times a week on my own, as government sanctioned exercise, and it’s a relief from cabin fever at home, and COVID planning / drills at work waiting for the Tsunami of cases to hit

My cycle club has a thing for “sofa shots” of new bikes ;)

Currently on this for summer

Just put the winter steed to bed

Ex-winter steed, now Zwift Turbo and part-time tourer

Bespoke single speed commuter with “aged frame”. Time I got this out for my short hop to work

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rishie View Post
    Nowhere is risk free but if you think staying indoors is always the safest place to be, take a look the RoSPA website.

• More accidents happen at home than anywhere else
    • Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident
    • Falls are the most common accidents, which can cause serious injury at any time of life. The risk increases with age
    • More accidents happen in the lounge/living room than anywhere else in the home.

Stay safe, inside and out.

I've decided to stick to the turbo over the 'lockdown'. Netflix on the tele and Zwift on the iPad with a Tacx Neo and it's sufficiently diverting for a couple of hours. Not bothering to 'train' in any structured way as everything I'd signed up for this year has already been cancelled but 4 or 5 z2/3 sessions a week blows the cobwebs away.

As an aside, where's the best place to sell a TT bike? I've got a totally pimped out Giant Trinity Advanced that I built up last season and have literally never raced and probably never will :-(

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

My cycle club has a thing for “sofa shots” of new bikes ;)
    And in what way is that designed to keep you out of A&E ?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    And in what way is that designed to keep you out of A&E ?
    He wants to cycle to A&E, or “work” as he calls it, not keep out of it.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I just got this built up recently. I do not think very highly of the rotor cranks though and will be changing them for Shimano.

Journeyman
    That's stunning
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post

I just got this built up recently. I do not think very highly of the rotor cranks though and will be changing them for Shimano.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using TZ-UK mobile app

As I lost my Villiers Montegrappa to a mad ex, I take my Voodoo Bizango out every couple of days for a blast along the coastal cycle route. Fat knobbly tyres make it more of a slog than I’d like but I’m happy to take what I can get right now. I am hyper conscious of not wanting an ‘off’ that leads to having to call on medical assistance though.

Cyclists?

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Genesis Croix De Fer Ti doing what it does well , 10 mile road ride , 9 miles off road, 10 miles home

Full susser for gnarly work

And of course a Carbon for sunny days
    I assume your in Higham , I went past it on my way over the Nic’’ O Pendle yesterday
    Last edited by Daniel; 10th April 2020 at 09:37.

Craftsman
    Every cloud.
    Ditto

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    I assume your in Higham , I went past it on my way over the Nic’’ O Pendle yesterday
    Lived there for 32 years Daniel , just moved to N. Wales to be closer to our family. Lovely cycling around there which I guess you already know. If you liked the Nick , try Whalley Nab or Coolam Climb out of Earby. Both used on old tour of Britain courses.

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 11th April 2020 at 21:01.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Capewell899 View Post

And the one for little rides

Long time since I was into push bikes.
    Nice looking bike.

Is it a fixed wheel?
    Any reason why one rear spoke is a different colour?

Unhappy My Shiv Post my Weekly Long Ride Inside

Complete with obligatory sweat puddle.

Rollers for me, not turbo...I like it old skool.

I have been out a couple of times on the roads, have to say it's actually nice without the traffic!

Also take the kids out for our hour of exercise, and with not many cars it's helping their road sense (not to mention I'm drilling them on club stuff - slowing / clear / holes etc)...they're even shouting "CLEAR" when on their scooters now!

Craftsman
    I’ve been mixing up turbo and some local rides. I’m lucky to have a good set of trails very close by, with about 400m to reach the start of them. I’ve also dusted off my road bike, both for the turbo but also just to ride on empty roads too.

I’ve also decided to use the time to do some long-overdue maintenance:

Fat bike needs the BB bearings tapped out and replaced
    Other MTB needs a brake bled
    Gravel bike needs a new BB, and the brakes serviced

Lots to keep me busy.