Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclists?

Master
    Blog Entries

Cyclists?

Any one here?

Bored with turbo rides?

Master
    Yep there is a cycling thread somewhere, and a tz-uk Strava group, if you're interested. At the moment I am going out and doing a bit of cycling every couple of days, still. I do have a turbo trainer but haven't used it for a couple of years.

Master
    Just been out for a couple of hours. Virtually no cars, but loads of walkers and runners in the lanes - more than I have ever seen.
    As long as we are allowed our daily exercise then we could end up being a fitter country at the end !

Pete

Yup I’ve been trying to get out as much as possible

I ditched the turbo trainer for rollers 2 winters ago, I found them more akin to cycling as the bike is not fixed so you have to balance it

This morning was not a day to go out with snow and hail

Master
    No turbo, still riding outside solo while it's still allowed. Very quiet.

Banned here in France.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post

I ditched the turbo trainer for rollers 2 winters ago, I found them more akin to cycling as the bike is not fixed so you have to balance it

Many years ago, a former colleague (very fit guy!) replaced the Tacx Turbo for rollers - like you he wanted a more realistic bike feel. He had his gym up in the eaves of his home. His first 'trip' on the rollers didn't go like planned. After getting on his bike, he put his feet in the clips and... lost his balance. He + his bike fell down the stairs, ending on the landing near the bedrooms, one floor down. Un-hurt, but his confidence was damaged - certainly with his wife laughing uncontrollably! She's was the one who told us the story.

Grand Master
    Keeping away from people isn't too difficult, just need to plan your route and timing, most folk around here appear to head out between 1000 to 1700, keeping to local commons and so on, so i just head out a bit on a bridleway that goes outside of town then have a cycle around that area.

I'm mainly just practicing skills now though, easier to do in the garden or just outside the garage, still uses lots of energy and is useful, but this is mountain biking stuff, so if you have a road bike it'll be even harder doing wheelies and manuals!

Im a lifelong cyclist. Raced as a junior and still tipping away into my mid 40s. I bought a Turbo about 6 years ago but I hated every single minute on it. Sold it late last year. It made me realise that a huge part of my love for cycling is being outdoors. I think if I was still racing I could see the merit for inter season / winter training.

I think it's heart-warming to see families cycling together at this time - I saw 10 middle-aged men cycling together earlier - what a big family home they must live in!

Yes, not 10, but a couple of men in their 50s passed me earlier.

I guess they could have been a couple, on reflection...

It seems I'm still a bit set in my ways, although I try and be accepting (anyone can live their live how they like as long as it doesn't affect others adversely), it hadn't crossed my mind until now!

I think something about their manner suggested they were cycling mates, though.

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    I always go on my own have done for years now. I go out most days at the moment usually 7am till 9am do around 2 hrs 30 miles which at 65 is enough, other then putting my foot to the floor if I have to stop ( bloody clips are a pest) I have no contact with any surfaces. I do carry some anti bacterial wipes and wipe my handle bars down. Stay safe
    Last edited by hilly10; 29th March 2020 at 15:39.

Master
    Blog Entries

Where are you Scotland. To windy for me the last two days, get a crosswind with these bladed spokes you get blown over.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    Banned here in France.
    Every cloud.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've been a racing cyclist for the last 30 years. I've done nearly 1000 Time Trials in that time but for the past 2 years I've been mainly road racing. I'm the current British Cycling National Masters Road Race Champion & National Masters Criterium Champion. Of course the entire racing calendar is on hold at the moment.

I did 68 miles out on the road by myself first thing this morning. A big loop taking in the Mendips. Saw a number of lone cyclists out. A few couples but no bigger groups than that. I pulled out on to the far right hand side of the road when passing them.

I've got the turbo at the ready for if/when we're not allowed to cycle on the road. I'm a bit turboed out having done approximately 2000 hours on it in the last 15 years.

I'm very fit at the moment, I'd already done 14 races this year before the shut down.

I am hoping that this will put me in good stead if I contract the virus.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I recognise your ID from the TT forum.

I’m not road riding at the moment.

My consultant orthopaedic mate gave me a stark warning

- William Harvey have virtually shut down fracture clinic and orthopaedic operations - if you come off your bike expect a nurse to patch up as best as poss and then wait significant time for any operation or further work required - and don’t whinge when your limb is permanently deformed as a consequence 😱 basically if you ride outside just go really really carefully as no back up available 😢

Personally I think people should cycle for getting to work and going to the shops and maybe a short local ride.

People doing 50 mile rides are taking risks and are potentially putting an undesirable strain on the NHS should an accident occur. Bit selfish imho.

I’m limiting myself to running now outdoors.

I had a thrash round on the Ebike this afternoon. I got up to 38mph with wind behind me.

Master
    Im a keen cyclist, gravel MTB and road. But..........I spent £150 on a turbo last week. I skipped my last one as it had laid in the garage for 10 years , but mine has been used 3 times in the last 5 days. Its down to £50 a ride now.

Im really mixed on riding solo on the road. I do 2/3k miles per year 95% on my own, but the thought of stacking it and ending up in A&E is making me reconsider. I have ridden 400 miles in March this year so it will be a big change.

I actually believe the 2Km restriction from Ireland will be adopted here , then its 100% turbo unfortunately.

Ride safe folks

Steve
    Last edited by higham5; 29th March 2020 at 19:45.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I've been a racing cyclist for the last 30 years. I've done nearly 1000 Time Trials in that time but for the past 2 years I've been mainly road racing. I'm the current British Cycling National Masters Road Race Champion & National Masters Criterium Champion. Of course the entire racing calendar is on hold at the moment.

I did 68 miles out on the road by myself first thing this morning. A big loop taking in the Mendips. Saw a number of lone cyclists out. A few couples but no bigger groups than that. I pulled out on to the far right hand side of the road when passing them.

I've got the turbo at the ready for if/when we're not allowed to cycle on the road. I'm a bit turboed out having done approximately 2000 hours on it in the last 15 years.

I'm very fit at the moment, I'd already done 14 races this year before the shut down.

I am hoping that this will put me in good stead if I contract the virus.
    Time to follow the rules, and stay inside like everyone else.
    Last edited by Skyman; 29th March 2020 at 19:45.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Time to follow the rules, and stay inside like very one else.
    Rules permit cycling for exercise but I think people need to show a bit of moderation.

Cyclists?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I had a thrash round on the Ebike this afternoon. I got up to 38mph with wind behind me.
    Excellent exercise.

Master
    I usually do a couple of rides a week plus my commute but now just commuting- only 5m a day but got to stay safe
    I’m a bit concerned as the guy I worked with on Friday (didn’t turn up for work yesterday) is in an induced coma- that’s all the info I know
    Luckily I live alone

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Rules permit cycling for exercise but I think people need to show a bit of moderation.
    In a lock down, you stay inside. Cycling is not a necessary activity. We are in a lock down.

Craftsman
    I commute every day on the bike it's only 6 miles each way but keeps me fit and saves using the car. Over this previous week I have noticed significantly more cyclists about.

Master
    A lockdown where one is allowed to exercise outside. At least for now.

In a lock down, you stay inside. Cycling is not a necessary activity. We are in a lock down.
    What country are you in? In the UK we’re allowed out once per day for exercise and once for essential food shopping. Plus if you can’t work from home you can cycle to your place of work.

It’s also worth remembering that you’ve a better chance of fighting a virus if you’re fit and healthy. So get outside, get fresh air into your lungs and some sun on your face. You’ll be a better version of you, which will be great for the rest of us.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    What country are you in? In the UK we’re allowed out once per day for exercise and once for essential food shopping. Plus if you can’t work from home you can cycle to your place of work.

It’s also worth remembering that you’ve a better chance of fighting a virus if you’re fit and healthy. So get outside, get fresh air into your lungs and some sun on your face. You’ll be a better version of you, which will be great for the rest of us.
    France. And no, just stay inside.

No stipulation on shopping trips, save must be as infrequent as possible - so probably not once per day.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Way more risk going to the supermarket. I passed somebody on my ride today who was carrying a single loaf of bread. When I go there I don't go back for another week.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Time to follow the rules, and stay inside like everyone else.
    I am following the rules

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Way more risk going to the supermarket. I passed somebody on my ride today who was carrying a single loaf of bread. When I go there I don't go back for another week.
    Stay inside. GOVT ADVICE. Time to forget the exercise justification, the population need to stay at home, no excuses.
    Last edited by Skyman; 29th March 2020 at 20:22.

As far as I'm aware, the authorities are not calling this a 'lockdown'. The media are. As others have pointed out the official advice/instruction is at variance with your opinion. You appear to be presenting your opinion as fact and the official position. It isn't.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Stay inside. GOVT ADVICE. Time to forget the exercise justification, the population need to stay at home, no excuses.
    OK Skyman, you don't go to the supermarket then.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the authorities are not calling this a 'lockdown'. The media are. As others have pointed out the official advice/instruction is at variance with your opinion. You appear to be presenting your opinion as fact and the official position. It isn't.
    Check your facts my friend, please. You are somewhat behind the times. And check the reasons why one can legitimately leave ones home in France. According to the attestation, which is a printed form one has to sign each time you leave your home, riding a cycle is not an excusable cause. You are misinformed, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

OK Skyman, you don't go to the supermarket then.
    Not to exercise.

Master
    The advice is slightly different here in the UK

Craftsman
    Hi Skyman, I don’t really get why you think you know better for people in the UK than the government here. The advice is very clear, being out the house once per day for exercise is allowed. There’s currently no guidance on how long that one session per day can be, so nobody on here is being unreasonable or breaking the rules. I’m using my outdoor exercise time to walk my dog, so my cycling is all on the turbo. Just joined Zwift and I’m surprised how much I like it, makes it easy to do an hour or so without getting utterly bored.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    The advice is slightly different here in the UK
    Agreed, but the principle the same. How could it not be?

Hail was short lived thankfully, but for those 10 mins I did question whether it was worth it. The rest of the ride certainly was. Empty roads, blue skies and countryside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SydR
    Agreed, but the principle the same. How could it not be?
    Because in France is it explicitly banned whereas in the UK ii is a recommended form of exercise whilst observing social distancing.

SydR
    Not done much cycling since fracturing my pelvis last September. Was just getting back to cycling commutes when COVID 19 changed my work practice.

Got a smart turbo set up in the hall with a Bkool subscription to stave off boredom.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Because in France is it explicitly banned whereas in the UK ii is a recommended form of exercise whilst observing social distancing.
    10 deep MAMILS excepted?

SydR
    10 deep MAMILS excepted?
    No as that breaches the guidance on social distancing. Solo rides only or whith members of you own household.

Check your facts my friend, please. You are somewhat behind the times. And check the reasons why one can legitimately leave ones home in France. According to the attestation, which is a printed form one has to sign each time you leave your home, riding a cycle is not an excusable cause. You are misinformed, sadly.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to exercise.
    No, YOU are misinformed. We are not in France (most of us). Nor are we in Sweden where there are very few restrictions at the moment. We are in the UK and doing what we've been asked to do here.

If I thought I was putting my family's, or anyone else's health in danger I'd stay inside 24 hours a day, but I believe it's better for our physical and mental health to enjoy our surrounding area once per day.

My children have had a holiday cancelled, school trip cancelled, school closed, swimming lessons stopped, horse riding cancelled, gym closed, birthdays parties cancelled, can't see friends, cousins and grand parents. So while we're allowed to, we'll continue to go outside once per day for ride or walk.

Here's my youngest this week practicing social distancing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping for some banter with some watch loving cyclists, not a row.

Government advice in the UK permits one form of exercise a day which includes cycling.

I’d urge people not to over do this current privilege.

Now moving on let’s see some photos of your best bikes.

Grand Master
    With the current news pointing to an extended lock down, i can see a real issue ahead of how do you keep a nation inside during the summer months, especially after the wet and miserable winter we just had, i can see some rethinking of how they keep a handle on this situation, because a total lockdown, or ban on outdoor activities will cause quite a lot of issues on its own.

Cycling for me is a simple form of exercise that can be done in isolation, without much of an issue, which is good as bike sales are going through the roof just now by all accounts.

SydR

Cyclists?

My Bianchi Intenso.

One of six bikes I own.

Master
    Genesis Croix De Fer Ti doing what it does well , 10 mile road ride , 9 miles off road, 10 miles home

Full susser for gnarly work

And of course a Carbon for sunny days
    Last edited by higham5; 29th March 2020 at 22:30.

Master
    If I thought I was putting my family's, or anyone else's health in danger I'd stay inside 24 hours a day, but I believe it's better for our physical and mental health to enjoy our surrounding area once per day.

My children have had a holiday cancelled, school trip cancelled, school closed, swimming lessons stopped, horse riding cancelled, gym closed, birthdays parties cancelled, can't see friends, cousins and grand parents. So while we're allowed to, we'll continue to go outside once per day for ride or walk.

Here's my youngest this week practicing social distancing.

great photo and I agree with your reasoning..

Master
    Summer bike with winter wheels, about to head off for a spin.

Last edited by Bondurant; 30th March 2020 at 10:30. Reason: Better pic