closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Once upon a time in hollywood

Blog Entries

Once upon a time in hollywood

Well what can i say? am i missing something? i watch a lot of movies, of all subjects, this movie was nearly two and a half hours long, was it too "arty" for its own good? was tarrentino relying on his previous work to sell it? or am i really missing the point?

Agreed the last 10 minutes were good but it was mostly a very low key buddy movie with few highlights, the Di caprio character wasn't particularly likeable so I found his professional and personal tribulations all a bit meh and the part where Pitt's character fights Bruce Lee was corny and disrespectful to Lee's memory and work, very poor form from Tarantino who drew heavily on that work in his earlier movies. Pitt as always performed solidly though, in fact it was frustrating not to have more of his back story which was alluded to in snippets.
    All in all a bit of a self referential naval gaze I thought.

as above, just fast forward to the last 10mins of the film , rest can be binned.

Master
    Brilliant one of Tarantino’s best films.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Brilliant one of Tarantino’s best films.
    Yes, I liked it. Big fan of long, somewhat rambling flawed films, Fitzcaraldo springs to mind, One From the Heart, David Lynch, Tarantino.

Vanilla Fudge soundtrack for the ending - loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Vanilla Fudge soundtrack for the ending - loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I find the soundtrack albums to Tarantino's films more enjoyable, and to my taste, than the films themselves.

Master
    I gave up after 40 mins....too slow.

Craftsman
    I'm a big Tarantino fan and have enjoyed most of his movies. Only one I gave up on was the Hateful Eight. But enjoyed Once upon a time...a lot, yes tad slow but worked through it and it turned out was worth it. Jackie Brown, now there's a good movie, Inglourious Basterds, even better, IMHO.
    Last edited by Bazzman; 29th March 2020 at 12:22. Reason: typo

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I loved it, think it is one of his best movies. Brad Pitt is brilliant, the dialogue, music, it's a very cool movie, but I understand it polarises.

Jackie Brown when it came out was a let down for me (because I was comparing to Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs which I found mesmeric as a teenager) but watching part if it again the other week, I realised I was wrong its another cool movie IMO.

As above did not enjoy Hateful Eight.

It helps if you know that it is based on a true story (the Manson murders). This is Tarantino effectively rewriting history. But yes, it is an overly long, ego driven, Tarantino ode to Hollywood.

Craftsman
    Great movie and one of his best, if not the best.

Could have been another hour long and I wouldn’t have minded. Make sure you read into the Manson murders before you watch it though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    It helps if you know that it is based on a true story (the Manson murders). This is Tarantino effectively rewriting history. But yes, it is an overly long, ego driven, Tarantino ode to Hollywood.
    hi, yes aware of this, thats what threw me at the end, a bit to say the least weird, my dad was interested in the whole "manson" thing back in the day, maybe they should have used Manfred Mans earth band "spirits in the night" for the end title which i belive was wrote about the killings.

Not a favourite of mine.

I thought given the subject era I would really enjoy it but one of Tarry's weakest films IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Overly hyped. At the end i thought “that’s it?”.
    Pulp Fiction is still great though :)

I enjoyed it - bit of a strange one, but it passed some time on a long haul flight.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I enjoyed it - bit of a strange one, but it passed some time on a long haul flight.
    Same here, watched on a long flight. Otherwise I don’t think I’d have had the concentration as it was quite slow.

I came out of the cinema thinking that it was slow but as it percolated in the hours after I have to say I think it’s a masterpiece in film making. I can understand why others disagree though. That’s the great thing about film.

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    hi, yes aware of this, thats what threw me at the end, a bit to say the least weird, my dad was interested in the whole "manson" thing back in the day, maybe they should have used Manfred Mans earth band "spirits in the night" for the end title which i belive was wrote about the killings.
    The film is set in 1969. Tarantino wanted the soundtrack to feature songs from that year & earlier.

Bruce Springsteen wrote 'Spirit In The Night' which was released on 'Greetings From Asbury Park N.J.' in 1973. Manfred Mann's Earth Band covered the song as 'Spirits In The Night' in 1975.
    ______

​Jim.

I really enjoyed it. I like most of Tarantino's stuff but found the Hateful Eight a bit boring. Django was superb though.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    It's worth looking into the stories behind Once Upon... Not the obvious Manson story but also the persons played by DiCaprio and Pitt. E.g. the 'he murdered his wife and came away with it' refers to Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner.

Regarding T.'s other movies: I think that the scene with Christopher Waltz as Hans Landa in the farmhouse is one the best in the history of cinema.

Grand Master
    Anyone going into a Tarrantino film expecting fast pacing or easy to follow are going to the wrong movie, i love his stuff, haven't seen this one yet, but will when it's available on sky cinema, i've read about some folk not happy with the bruce lee portrayal, or the ending, but that's what he does, he doesn't stick to history, he follows it in many ways, but doesn't let it get in the way of his story, like Inglorious, where he basically killed off the entire German hierarchy long before it was meant to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Anyone going into a Tarrantino film expecting fast pacing or easy to follow are going to the wrong movie, i love his stuff, haven't seen this one yet, but will when it's available on sky cinema, i've read about some folk not happy with the bruce lee portrayal, or the ending, but that's what he does, he doesn't stick to history, he follows it in many ways, but doesn't let it get in the way of his story, like Inglorious, where he basically killed off the entire German hierarchy long before it was meant to be!
    No problems with him applying artistic licence to history many have and will...just thought it was churlish of him to draw heavily on Lees work when it suits him, right down to the iconic yellow tracksuit Uma T wore in kill Bill is a good case in point and then to kind of slander the guy with his fictional vignette in this movie, but then I have long been a bit of a BL fan, just my opinion.
    Tbh for me the ending of this movie was the best part. Cliffs dog is wicked but I will say no more, no spoilers.

Master
    I understand the criticism. I enjoyed it. I felt there was always something about to happen although it hardly ever did! 8/10.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    It was the best film I watched last year, and I’ve been a bit polarised by Tarantino’s work in the past.

Loved the camera work, the soundtrack, Brad Pitt’s character and even enjoyed the ending, despite me knowing it was ‘wrong’.

Brilliant director no doubt, but am I the only one who finds his comic book dialogue a bit tedious?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ...E.g. the 'he murdered his wife and came away with it' refers to Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner.
    I don't recall that line, but how could it be a reference to Wagner when Natalie Wood died 12 years later, in 1981?

I'm generally a Tarantino fan, but must admit I was somewhat disappointed with Once... There were quite a few 'cool' Tarantino scenes, parts, and music, but overall the film seemed to meander in a directionless way, unlike Tarantino's other works. I was glad I saw it, I pretty much enjoyed it, but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I don't recall that line, but how could it be a reference to Wagner when Natalie Wood died 12 years later, in 1981?
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/on...tt-1202167749/
    https://nerdist.com/article/once-upo...t-scene-cliff/

And, between all the movie's 'easter eggs' (about halfway down the page):
    https://www.denofgeek.com/culture/on...gs-references/

Personally I really enjoyed it - always find Tarantino movies interesting if a bit slow, but that’s what I’ve come to expect.
    Even my wife enjoyed it, and she’s easily bored - must admit I’m surprised at the negative comments, in my top 3 movies of last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I'm generally a Tarantino fan, but must admit I was somewhat disappointed with Once... There were quite a few 'cool' Tarantino scenes, parts, and music, but overall the film seemed to meander in a directionless way, unlike Tarantino's other works. I was glad I saw it, I pretty much enjoyed it, but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations.
    I sort of thought that was the point as the two main characters careers and lives meander in a directionless way? As I said thats what I love about film, it can be interpreted in so many different ways.

if this was any other director's movie - it would be a garble

But if it's QT - it is a masterpiece.

Average at best, with no finish. Would not recommend

Master
    I enjoyed it, but then I go to the cinema to be entertained, and this film did that. My sister goes as a "critic" and did not enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I see the difference. The reference isn't made in the movie itself.

In that last reference, the writer claims Cliff's wife's name is Natalie, but in one of the above references, they say her name is Billie.

Another self aggrandizing LA set circle jerk, seemingly fawned over by critics and the like for fear of being ostracised.

... and I’m a fan of Tarantino’s !