closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 British Summer Time Challenge

Which means other late entries are permissible. What day is it today? I've lost track.... Wednesday. Let's say entries have to be in by 6pm BST on Saturday 4 April.

The voice in the clouds also mentioned that the rule about using time.is in photos is not merely a suggestion. Photos without time.is will be ignored from now on. Kapeesh?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I’m going to enter two -

The quartz - Seiko Landmaster SBDW005. Kinetic quartz movement, should be fine.

Mechanical under £1000 - Seiko ‘Save the ocean’ turtle.

Hopefully I don’t get too OCD with the date. Fingers crossed. If only the mechanical had an independent hour hand, life would be much easier. I don’t think travel will be much of a factor....

I’m considering another mechanical, my IWC. I’ll have a think of worth doing, maybe doable with lockdown to rotate both mechanicals.

Pic taken with my Frogman - all 5 of my atomic Gs are syncing the same, so I’ll use that as a reference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    I will put the newest member of my Pamily 372
    I wish us all and our watches to reach the finish of this in good health!
    Stay safe friends!

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    just hope my X-33 battery lasts as its not been changed in years, that said I keep the LCD display turned off which should help.

Any bets on which watch is likely to drop out first?
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The voice in the clouds also mentioned that the rule about using time.is in photos is not merely a suggestion. Photos without time.is will be ignored from now on. Kapeesh?
    Ok ok! My G is slightly offended!

Excellent chaps.

I’ll set the two watches (ETA 2824 automatic & Unitas 6497 manual wind no hacking) later this evening, take a picture with time.is and post them.

Thank you for allowing me to join this challenge (which is turning from only British to a European one...).

The two hearts:

Kind regards from Germany. L

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Since you are now taking late entries I'll add my Q Timex 1979 Reissue in the quartz category please...

Is this one any good?
    I did't reset it anyway

Master
    Glad to hear that entries are being taken again. I wanted the twins to join in this year to see how they compare.

Two quartz Seiko Silverwaves each with a sturdy 7546 movement. They have fresh batteries so should last the course (there, I've jinxed it now).

Journeyman
    I'm going to throw the Seiko tuna solar into the quartz category.

Thanks for the late entries!

The 2020 British Summer Time Challenge

I will give it a go with three entries.

Black Bay 58 - decent power reserve, so should be easier to keep going with a couple of hours wear, on days that it’s not being worn as main watch of the day.

Seiko 5 Sports SRPD63K - no screw in crown will make it easy to leave it lying around and give it a few winds to keep it running.

Animal quartz - I entered this one last year, but the battery failed part way through. Should be ok this year.

Last edited by gbn13; 1st April 2020 at 23:10.

Dear challenge fellows,

Here are my two (German) participants:

Wempe Unitas (ETA) 6498 manual wind non Hacking starts already with +39 seconds vs time.is:

Sinn ETA 2824 automatic with +/- 0 seconds vs time.is:

Stay healthy.

Cheers, L

Blog Entries
    Which means other late entries are permissible. What day is it today? I've lost track.... Wednesday. Let's say entries have to be in by 6pm BST on Saturday 4 April.

My new watch will be just out of quarantine by then so count me in!

Here is my entry for Mechanical :

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 1st April 2020 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginpopy View Post
    Dear challenge fellows,

Here are my two (German) participants:

Wempe Unitas (ETA) 6498 manual wind non Hacking starts already with +39 seconds vs time.is:

Sinn ETA 2824 automatic with +/- 0 seconds vs time.is:

Stay healthy.

Cheers, L

... both mechanical well under 1.000 Euro. Forgot. Cheers

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

A second entry for me: I've decided to enter this Seiko Presage - I don't wear it much, but I'll handwind it with the intention of getting hold of a winder soon.

I've discovered that I feel uncomfortable hand winding an auto every day, so I'm going to pull this one, and replace it with a 1971 Seiko manual 7000-8000, which hasn't been serviced in almost six years. Over 30 weeks it's going to be out by at least half an hour....photo with time.is to follow....

Would anyone be offended if I enter this Smith’s clock as a non-points scoring entry?

It does have an 8 day movement and is very squarely in the sub-£1000 category. No second hand but I doubt that will affect the overall outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Would anyone be offended if I enter this Smith’s clock as a non-points scoring entry?

It does have an 8 day movement and is very squarely in the sub-£1000 category. No second hand but I doubt that will affect the overall outcome.

Looking closely at the minute hand I reckon your clock is about four seconds fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Looking closely at the minute hand I reckon your clock is about four seconds fast.

If not closed yet...please add another member of my Pamily...932
    Quite a performance to have just about perfect considering that there's no hacking second

I wasn't going to bother this year but as it's been extended I'll throw these two into the ring.

Is this going to be the only hummer(we will need a Tuning Fork category?) this time? I entered it last year after having just had it serviced, but it was pulled early and needed to go back for a new index wheel. Nice to give it a second attempt. Managed to get it within +1 second, quite a challenge with these tuning fork movements as there's a delay when you pull the crown it, and another when you push them back in.

No way I'll be able to do a Ben4Watches and keep a manual wind going for too long but I'll see what I can manage before I forget. Don't wear it sometimes for a week or so, so likely this will be the first one out with me forgetting to keep it wound. My personal challenge will be to avoid being first out

Will stick with just the two for this challenge.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 2nd April 2020 at 15:00.

Craftsman
    As we’re still accepting entries I’ll add my speedy:

I've discovered that I feel uncomfortable hand winding an auto every day, so I'm going to pull this one, and replace it with a 1971 Seiko manual 7000-8000, which hasn't been serviced in almost six years. Over 30 weeks it's going to be out by at least half an hour....photo with time.is to follow....
    It can spend the summer getting closer to the correct time....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I was going to enter my beta21 and space view but as the battery only lasts about 12 months and I know they will need sorting come Christmas time, so will not last the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I wasn't going to bother this year but as it's been extended I'll throw these two into the ring.

Is this going to be the only hummer(we will need a Tuning Fork category?) this time? I entered it last year after having just had it serviced, but it was pulled early and needed to go back for a new index wheel. Nice to give it a second attempt. Managed to get it within +1 second, quite a challenge with these tuning fork movements as there's a delay when you pull the crown it, and another when you push them back in.

No way I'll be able to do a Ben4Watches and keep a manual wind going for too long but I'll see what I can manage before I forget. Don't wear it sometimes for a week or so, so likely this will be the first one out with me forgetting to keep it wound. My personal challenge will be to avoid being first out

Will stick with just the two for this challenge.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I was going to enter my beta21 and space view but as the battery only lasts about 12 months and I know they will need sorting come Christmas time, so will not last the distance.
    I'm doubtful the Ultronic will make it as I haven't replaced the battery since it was serviced over a year ago(doubt it was replaced again when the index wheel was done). See how far it gets.

Your two might make it, only have to reach October. Get them in!
    Last edited by Tetlee; 3rd April 2020 at 13:20.

Can I add my 2018 Rolex GMT Master II 116710BLNR please. I've set it at exactly 5 minutes behind (-300secs) as of 10:35 today. The expectation is that it will catch up with correct time in late August.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 4th April 2020 at 10:48.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Can I add my 2018 Rolex GMT Master II 116710BLNR please. I've set it at exactly 5 minutes behind (-300secs) as of 10:35 today. The expectation is that it will catch up with correct time in late August.
    Why don't you set it to be spot on at the finish line?
    That should be interesting....
    Start computing:)

Why don't you set it to be spot on at the finish line?
    That should be interesting....
    Start computing:)

I'm glad he's done it at 5 minutes, makes the sums straightforward - that's why I did 30 minutes fast for my old Seiko

I'm glad he's done it at 5 minutes, makes the sums straightforward - that's why I did 30 minutes fast for my old Seiko
    Indeed, round number for ease of calculation. Plus I'm not certain that mine is predicatably within +2secs per day anyway.

Craftsman
    Can I add my Turtle please

Last edited by BrianR; 4th April 2020 at 14:53.

*locks the gates*

40 watches, well 39 watches and one clock.

I'll once a bit of time has passed, I'll start collecting up people's interim results and making little tables for each category. The updated tables will be put at the start of the OP, so that popping in to see how things are going is easily done.

There will also be a table for mechanicals that have dropped out, showing how long they were kept going for. This will be calculated from the day the watch was first posted on this thread.

------

Here's how No.19 is doing - after six days it seems to have lost a sliver of a second

And No.35 - after a terrible opening day or two when its PR was low, it settled down into better form

Last edited by Der Amf; 4th April 2020 at 19:53.

*locks the gates*
    40 watches, well 39 watches and one clock.
    Great field, for last year's challenge we had 26 so this should be even more fun...

0s change in week 1 :)

Master
    oops read the rest of the thread, missed again.

I do have a pic from Monday morning though if prepared to accept a late retrospective entry?

Casio MQ-24, 2s slow at that time and untouched since.
    Last edited by monogroover; 5th April 2020 at 10:12.

Has anyone noticed that the time.is website drifts slightly? I just checked my 9F GS against it and it suggested that it was 1 second out after a day. I refreshed the page and it's bang on.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the time.is website drifts slightly? I just checked my 9F GS against it and it suggested that it was 1 second out after a day. I refreshed the page and it's bang on.
    Jup - I check against my Gs and it can be a second out compared to them. Refresh does the trick.

time.is can take a few seconds to dial in, in my experience this tends to when there’s some connectivity issue; otherwise, refreshing the page should help.

Blog Entries
    Here is my second result. 4 days and drift of about +11seconds = about 2.5/day.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th April 2020 at 21:45.

I have to start teaching shortly so I couldn't do an exact update after 48 hours but here's my BLNR after 2 days. Looks to be running around +6 secs fast (+3 secs per day)

Hmm about 1’45” fast already. I may not last the course.

+1.7 second. Not bad, worn 24/7
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 6th April 2020 at 11:37.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    A week in and the PAM is at -10s

Craftsman
    And the FOIS is at +1s

There's my updates
    I might not get the rules so please explain to me how often should we provide updates and if it's a standard report format
    Thanks
    Marius

Update on the Turtle - not looking great, 50 secs behind already...no pic of the mighty Landmaster, but only a sec ahead.

please explain to me how often should we provide updates and if it's a standard report format
    Every couple of weeks please return to the thread with a fresh picture, so we can track its progress.

Master
    1 week, and +1s so far.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Update on the Turtle - not looking great, 50 secs behind already

Is that not 128sec slow?

Marius
    I can't bring myself to work out what time a watch without minute markers is reading, so (a) please write down the time being shown (b) specify which watch is which. I'm not spending 30 weeks remembering PAM numbers!

My 1971 Seiko manual is well on its way to losing the desired half hour....

Last edited by Der Amf; 6th April 2020 at 13:38.

Is that not 128sec slow?
    Hmm. Upon further investigation, it does seem that I wasnt paying attention to enough and when the second hand is closer to 30 mark it looks like only 50 odd seconds behind. Alas the watch is in fact almost 2 minutes behind. Well spotted sir and dammit!!!!

Master
    I checked my Seiko sumo this morning and its at +2 seconds. They would be impressive were it not for the fact tomorrow or could be +35, - 40 or anywhere in between!

Journeyman
    Hmm. Upon further investigation, it does seem that I wasnt paying attention to enough and when the second hand is closer to 30 mark it looks like only 50 odd seconds behind. Alas the watch is in fact almost 2 minutes behind. Well spotted sir and dammit!!!!

It would seem your turtle keeps time as well as mine does! 😂