closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The 2020 British Summer Time Challenge

119 days in, the Snowflake has gained 42s.

After 126 days, the Snowflake has gained 44s.

+43 seconds

... just 5 mechanical left so far. C’mon! Great channel. Glad to participate again next year. Stay safe

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

How many made it to the end last year?

I’m actually resisting buying another watch until the end of BST. I know if I get another one I’ll want to wear it and will probably leave the Snowflake to stop. However I really want to get it to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post

I’m actually resisting buying another watch until the end of BST. I know if I get another one I’ll want to wear it and will probably leave the Snowflake to stop. However I really want to get it to the end.
    This is exactly why my BLNR didn't make it. Damn new mechanical incoming!

I'm actually resisting buying another watch until the end of BST. I know if I get another one I'll want to wear it and will probably leave the Snowflake to stop. However I really want to get it to the end.
    Only one mechanical made it last year: Sean's Explorer, which was about 5 minutes out iirc.

Putting off a new watch for 3 months just for the sake of the challenge will be demanding of respect! We're still only 3/5ths of the way through.

After my week away, my OCG is back on my wrist, and I imagine that it will still be there come the end of BST: it will have been worn for 29 of the 30 weeks....and will still have failed. 7 months is a long time to attend to something flawlessly.

OK. I don't know what's going on.
    I have recently tried to change my routine, and run for about 15 minutes 3 times a day (easier to fit in my schedule).

I cannot pinpoint exactly when I started this but it seems to affect the watch quite a lot. I am now -1s!

This is what my own tracking gives me (from Watchtracker app)

I cannot be sure that the loss is linked to the running; but whilst the overall result is extremely good, I find the variations puzzling.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Only one mechanical made it last year: Sean's Explorer, which was about 5 minutes out iirc.

Putting off a new watch for 3 months just for the sake of the challenge will be demanding of respect! We're still only 3/5ths of the way through.

After my week away, my OCG is back on my wrist, and I imagine that it will still be there come the end of BST: it will have been worn for 29 of the 30 weeks....and will still have failed. 7 months is a long time to attend to something flawlessly.
    I don’t mind putting it off, I want something with a GMT movement but as I’m not planning to go abroad for a while I can cope without it.

Also, the 72 hour power reserve makes it possibly easier to get through BST, if I leave it for a day or two it keeps going.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A quick update on my entries.

The Breitling has been traded and the X-33 is out for a battery change, typical. so just the P01 is left in the running.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Mechanical manual wind 806 Re-addition

Mechanical Auto Tudor PO1 (Ive adjusted it so its correct, its a minute out in the pic 🙄)

HEQ X-33 MKII

Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I am sorry but I am going to have to retire my 14060.
    I am going to France tonight and there is no way my OCD would cope with a watch on BST there.
    I am not even sure I ‘ll wear this one, the GW-5000, or both.

I’ll leave on a high, though...

After 130 days, -0.6s

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I am sorry but I am going to have to retire my 14060.
    I am going to France tonight and there is no way my OCD would cope with a watch on BST there.
    I am not even sure I ‘ll wear this one, the GW-5000, or both.

I’ll leave on a high, though...

After 130 days, -0.6s
    Firstly, congratulations on lasting well over 18 weeks. Secondly, thanks for taking up the challenge. Thirdly, what a shame for the challenge to lose its best-performing watch. Fourthly, how good to end on such a note. Fifthly, Omega's independent hour hands FTW :D

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Firstly, congratulations on lasting well over 18 weeks. Secondly, thanks for taking up the challenge. Thirdly, what a shame for the challenge to lose its best-performing watch. Fourthly, how good to end on such a note. Fifthly, Omega's independent hour hands FTW :D
    Thank you very much. I had the Seamaster GMT (black wavy dial), and it was a great watch indeed. Sorry to let you down; I agonised about this (as there was always the possibility of another lockdown that would have kept us here). It was not to be (I am not complaining)

133 days, and the Snowflake has gained 46s.

140 days (twenty weeks!) in, and the Snowflake has gained 49 seconds.

20 week update for the GS. As expected it is still sitting at +1 second after 140 days.

140 days (twenty weeks!) in, and the Snowflake has gained 49 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    20 week update for the GS. As expected it is still sitting at +1 second after 140 days.
    My Seiko-loving is very pleased with these two posts!

Needless to say, ever since I came back from my trip and put my Globemaster back on, I've been tracking its accuracy as enthusiastically as before. I've given up trying to be clever with it, and am just enjoying it gently ebbing and flowing in step with how much wear it gets day by day. To be honest, I'm slightly glad I had to have the enforced little break - I was beginning to feel as if the OCG was wearing me rather than vice versa.

Just 10 weeks to go now, a mere nothing.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 16th August 2020 at 21:20. Reason: aiurbkjreakuvyfd

After 147 days, the Snowflake has gained 51s.

Craftsman
    As ever, I’ll apologise for not posting in here as often as some others, and for the crappy picture quality. It’s been deviating a second or two fast or slow the entire time, but right this moment is on the money!

the view original hosts

GLX5600 is now at +15s

After 161 days, the Snowflake has gained 56s.

Grand Seiko 9F still at +1sec after 24 weeks/168 days. I'll try to remember to take a pic of the Timex on Wednesday...

168 days in, the Snowflake has gained 59s.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My only watch left in the race has to be retired at this late stage.

Having sold my Navitimer and my X-33 needed a battery change that left the Tudor P01 which due some plumbing issues ive been having over the last week I forgot to wind it, opening up my watch roll this evening it had stopped sometime on the 11th sept.

Sorry chaps and a Pint to Tetlee (Lee) who said I would never manage the distance, keeping it wound for 6 months. He was right.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Now gained 57 seconds

210 days in total. Next year I’ll participate again, if I am allowed, for the second time and till then I’ll have the right watch. With my actual automatic watch I should just wind back 5,5 minutes and then hit the atomic time after the challenge. Two challenges at once...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

GLX5600 now running at +16s

After 175 days, the Snowflake has gained 61 seconds.

Long overdue update for the Timex. It's now at +16 secs after 175 days / 25 weeks....

Master
    Yes these two quartzes are still in the challenge, can't believe that it has been so long since I sent an update.

It looks like the black dial is +57s and the white dial is +69s which makes a difference of 12s between the two.

After 182 days, the Snowflake has gained 63 seconds.

Just realised I haven’t posted an update on this one for a couple of months.

Grand Seiko 9F still at +1 second after 26 weeks/182 days

Aerospace pulled itself back to +-0s ... but... I've flipped it. Owner is here on TZ and I pointed him to this thread but I see no updates in the few weeks that its been with him. Best to withdraw it unless he posts up later.

Safe to say, the superquartz in these is very accurate indeed.

After 189 days, the Snowflake has gained 66 seconds.

Even though I love it, I can’t wait to get to the end of BST and wear something else!

Last edited by Murdoc; 4th October 2020 at 16:25.

Haven't worn this now for some time, so took it out of the box today to find that it's gained a whole 5 seconds!

It's supposed to be 6 SPY, though it does state in the manual "when worn" so maybe I should have worn it more often. So difficult with so many watches to choose from....
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Can’t believe we’re almost there!

Haven’t been wearing the black bay as much as of late. But still keeping it going for the challenge.

About +2.5 seconds over all this time. Incredible stuff.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post

Haven’t been wearing the black bay as much as of late. But still keeping it going for the challenge.

Cheers
    that is a stunning result for a mechanical mechanism - better than a lot of quartz movements. I’d be happy with +2.5s/day!!

I’ll give an update now, but will try and get a final one in this weekend.

207 days in, the Snowflake has gained a total of 72 seconds (it started 67s slow). It looks like it’ll match the prediction I made back in May (post #245) which was to end BST 6 seconds ahead of actual time, which would be a total gain of 73 seconds.

Of the three Spring Drive movement watches I’ve owned, this is the least accurate. My previous two were so accurate that over a month or so they were +- 0s.

I thought I’d be fine to wear the same watch almost every day through BST, but over the last few weeks I’ve been rather keen to change it. I’m really looking forward to wearing something else next week!

Master
    After about 6 months I rejected my second VHP for the same reason I rejected the first - not keeping time in accordance with the specification. Longines were very accommodating.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Haven't worn this now for some time, so took it out of the box today to find that it's gained a whole 5 seconds!

It's supposed to be 6 SPY, though it does state in the manual "when worn" so maybe I should have worn it more often. So difficult with so many watches to choose from....

The 2020 British Summer Time Challenge

Final entry for the GLXZ5600. Net gain of 19s, having started at -1s, now at +18s. Well done to all those tenacious entries!

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Unfortunately, my hoped-for 2020 challenger hasn’t yet arrived, so here’s the GLX-5600 again.

Quartz.
    Currently -1s.

Horrible rainy day so may as well do my updates. First, here's the Grand Seiko SBGX061. It is now at +2 seconds after 209 days which, at less than +4 seconds per year, is well within the +10 per year spec quoted by Grand Seiko for this 9F movement. It's hardly been worn throughout the challenge, certainly less than 36 hours in total. I hope to give it more wrist time soon.

And here's the final update for the Q Timex. It's now at +19 seconds after 206 days (I started 3 days late).

Final update for the Snowflake. After 209 days, it has gained 73 seconds - meaning it matched my prediction made back in May!

I’d like to take part again next year, but wearing one watch for the whole of BST is somewhat challenging.

Well done to all the finishers, especially the only other mechanically powered watch.

Final update for Longines VHP

Looks like 6 seconds in 6 months! Should be 6 seconds in 12 months, disappointing!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Sadly my Landmaster died last week - careless of me to not keep the kinetic watch topped up, doh!!! Need to do better next time around....

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post

Cheers
    Excellent stuff.👍

Mine dropped out a few months ago, when I left it too long without wearing. Prior to that I knew I could keep it bang on, depending on how it was positioned overnight.

You may still have time to bring it back to spot on by tomorrow.

The only other watch I have that keeps such accurate time, is one from the related brand.

Final update for the Snowflake. After 209 days, it has gained 73 seconds - meaning it matched my prediction made back in May!

I’d like to take part again next year, but wearing one watch for the whole of BST is somewhat challenging.

Well done to all the finishers, especially the only other mechanically powered watch.

No need to wear the same watch, or use a winder.

I reckon it’s easy enough to keep going by just wearing it a few hours a day.

I failed last year, because I gave up with a watch that I decided not to take on holiday. This year I messed up on the most accurate I had entered, because I left it a few hours too long, trying to bring it back to spot on.

Craftsman
    I wanted to get one final update of my BB58 on here yesterday, but my battered, old iPhone SE finally decided to give up the ghost. At least the picture quality will be better with a new phone next year!

As for the BB itself, it was right where it was 4 days ago, about 2.5 seconds ahead.

Well done to all the finishers.

Cheers