closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 British Summer Time Challenge

Craftsman
    Two week update on the black Turtle. I don't think I've ever kept it running for more than 2-3 days before so I'm very surprised by the timekeeping. It tends to lose around 4 seconds per day on the wrist, but after experimenting with various positions I've found that it gains almost the same amount back by leaving it face-up overnight. As a result it's at -2 seconds after a fortnight.

(I don't know if it's a common trait of the 4R36, but keeping the power reserve high tends to help with accuracy.)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
    Two week update on the black Turtle. I don't think I've ever kept it running for more than 2-3 days before so I'm very surprised by the timekeeping. It tends to lose around 4 seconds per day on the wrist, but after experimenting with various positions I've found that it gains almost the same amount back by leaving it face-up overnight. As a result it's at -2 seconds after a fortnight.

(I don't know if it's a common trait of the 4R36, but keeping the power reserve high tends to help with accuracy.)
    Er no, just look at my Turtle above it's horrendous! I leave it face up overnight and it just continues to lose - erratically. There is no consistency with the amount it loses per day. It's now 6 mins 15 secs behind an increase of 1min 20sec ish. Not good.

Der Amf - I am letting it run down now and so now declare my Turtle out of the Challenge.

I still have the mighty Landmaster ticking along and will update that another day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Er no, just look at my Turtle above it's horrendous! I leave it face up overnight and it just continues to lose - erratically. There is no consistency with the amount it loses per day. It's now 6 mins 15 secs behind an increase of 1min 20sec ish. Not good.
    Looks like I've been fortunate to get a good one! I purchased it from SC a couple of years ago so I'm not sure if it came that way from the factory, or if it was possibly regulated by a previous owner.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
    Looks like I've been fortunate to get a good one! I purchased it from SC a couple of years ago so I'm not sure if it came that way from the factory, or if it was possibly regulated by a previous owner.
    I had my Seiko Presage in last years BST challenge for several weeks, being worn all day every day. The 6r15 movement in it has only a slightly better specs than yours. It too, with care to how it was left overnight, kept close to perfect time pretty much indefinitely. However once not kept with a fully charged reserve....a different story! I bought it from the Seiko boutique, so it was definitely as it came from the factory.

The 2020 British Summer Time Challenge

Today it was time (for the first time for me with my new Weishi 1000) to regulate the Unitas caliber to run with +30 seconds a day with the target to reach the break even in 31 days and then regulate again to +/- 0 seconds per day...

... if this is not allowed then I am out with this watch. As it’s my first change I’m not sure about what is allowed and what not. Thanks

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ginpopy; 18th April 2020 at 23:44.

Day 21 update on the Snowflake. It’s gained three seconds over the past week, a total of eight seconds in 21 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginpopy View Post
    ... if this is not allowed then I am out with this watch
    Sorry, when you mentioned regulating it before, I thought you were joking. By adjusting it, it's no longer the mechanism that was entered at the start of BST.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Day 21 update on the Snowflake. It’s gained three seconds over the past week, a total of eight seconds in 21 days.
    8 seconds over 3 weeks.....80 seconds over 30 weeks....so should w be expecting it to be +13 against actual time by the end of BST?
    Last edited by Der Amf; 19th April 2020 at 15:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

8 seconds over 3 weeks.....80 seconds over 30 weeks....so should w be expecting it to be +13 against actual time by the end of BST?
    Last time I checked its timekeeping over a reasonable length of time it seemed to gain about 2.3s per week. I guess it’s either running slightly faster now, or there are some slight errors with my time checks that are hard to extrapolate after only three weeks.

My guess is that it’ll be 3 seconds fast at the end of BST. Interesting to find out!

This one for now
    So 372 ....if I got it right now ...it's 1min 43 second behind

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Checking in - 5146J

+62s +67 in 19d so average of +3.5s/day

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st April 2020 at 23:02.

Craftsman
    FOIS now at -2s although means it’s lost 8 seconds in the last week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    PAM312 is at -37s:

Master
    My sumo has jumped to +20seconds from +3 in a week, oops, although the average of less then +1/day is still very good.

Now this 372
    Looks like 75secs behind

Journeyman

latecomer

Is it too late to get in on this? Only registered yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it too late to get in on this? Only registered yesterday.

Guys
    If any of you have a minute to explain to me what this numbers means I will be more than thankfull
    I tried to understand but it seems that my mine became numb maybe because of The well prolonged quarantine (7weeks for me now :(
    The quote that needs deciphring is this :
    "PAM00932 (5d, 103) marius [-4d]"
    Thanks a lot în advance

(1)

This isn't the same watch

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    Is it too late to get in on this?
    Very

Journeyman
    (1)

This isn't the same watch

(2)

Very
    Shame. Althought i've found a new site in time.is Every day's a school day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dee View Post
    Shame. Althought i've found a new site in time.is Every day's a school day.
    The point is to see how our watches keep time between the moment when we adjust them to BST until the moment we take them back to GMT. So you are 3 weeks late. You can still do it on your own but there is little point in joining the thread now. Alternatively, Watchtracker is a good app that will allow you to play with the watches you have, on your terms.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Guys
    If any of you have a minute to explain to me what this numbers means I will be more than thankfull
    I tried to understand but it seems that my mine became numb maybe because of The well prolonged quarantine (7weeks for me now :(
    The quote that needs deciphring is this :
    "PAM00932 (5d, 103) marius [-4d]"
    Thanks a lot în advance

I think this means:

"watch type (no days running, latest post number) poster [date started]"

**Der Amf: I have updated post #160 as there was a slight miss-read of my watch - please see my amendment. Many thanks
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st April 2020 at 23:14.

Well I knew it would happen, forgot to wind my Mk2 the day before yesterday and checked last night and it had stopped. Bit disappointed but at least I managed my side goal of not being the first out.

Now just have to hope the battery lasts the distance of my Longines Ultronic which is doubtful but we'll see, I'll update that one tomorrow for its 3 week mark.

Update for this week. BB58 and Seiko 5 still spot on.

The BB58 from a few hours wear a day and then rested off the wrist, in a combination of dial up, dial down or crown up.

The Seiko 5 has had limited wear, but has been manually wound each day. Gains slightly dial down; time that is easy enough to drop by wearing or leaving crown up.

The Animal just sits dial up next to the Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    BB58 and Seiko 5 still spot on.

The BB58 from a few hours wear a day and then a combination of dial up, dial down or crown up.

The Seiko 5 has had limited wear, but has been manually wound each day. Gains slightly dial down; time that is easy enough to drop by wearing or leaving crown up.
    I love the details of how to keep a mechanical watch in line with an reliable clock.

My Globemaster generally loses a fraction of a second each day - worn most the day, and then rested dial up overnight. After about a week it will have lost a second, and that can be caught up in a single night, left crown up.

I'm keeping a record of how many times I've done that - three so far - so that I can see at the end of the 30 weeks how many seconds it would have lost had I not been keeping an eye on it. At this rate, it will have been half a minute lost over the whole of BST.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Update for this week. BB58 and Seiko 5 still spot on.

The BB58 from a few hours wear a day and then rested off the wrist, in a combination of dial up, dial down or crown up.

The Animal just sits dial up next to the Seiko.

My BB58 is still spot on too! Seems to lose about 1/2 a second a day, including if I wear it to bed. So after 4 or 5 days, I leave it crown up on the bedside table and it gains those couple of seconds back.

21 day update of the Q Timex. Still running at +1 second..

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    My BB58 is still spot on too! Seems to lose about 1/2 a second a day, including if I wear it to bed. So after 4 or 5 days, I leave it crown up on the bedside table and it gains those couple of seconds back.
    I love the details of how to keep a mechanical watch in line with an reliable clock.

My Globemaster generally loses a fraction of a second each day - worn most the day, and then rested dial up overnight. After about a week it will have lost a second, and that can be caught up in a single night, left crown up.

I'm keeping a record of how many times I've done that - three so far - so that I can see at the end of the 30 weeks how many seconds it would have lost had I not been keeping an eye on it. At this rate, it will have been half a minute lost over the whole of BST.
    I think that the key is for the watch to be well regulated in all positions to start, otherwise it is too difficult to gain/lose the required time by positional variation off the wrist.

Certainly seems to be the case with BB58 and Globemaster.

I do though know that if I wore the BB58 about 16 hours every day, then rest it for 8 hours it would start to lose time very slowly.

The Seiko 5 is the only cheap Seiko I have that I can keep on track, albeit with limited wear. It was 7 seconds slow after week one, before I hit upon leaving it dial down all the time to bring it back on track.
    Last edited by gbn13; 22nd April 2020 at 20:12.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How could you forget Lee, busy were you. Lol.

The Breitling is still chugging along nicely, part of my bedtime routine to wind watches and if I forget ( I won’t ) it has a 3 day power reserve so could get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Well I knew it would happen, forgot to wind my Mk2 the day before yesterday and checked last night and it had stopped. Bit disappointed but at least I managed my side goal of not being the first out.

Now just have to hope the battery lasts the distance of my Longines Ultronic which is doubtful but we'll see, I'll update that one tomorrow for its 3 week mark.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    How could you forget Lee, busy were you. Lol.

The Breitling is still chugging along nicely, part of my bedtime routine to wind watches and if I forget ( I won’t ) it has a 3 day power reserve so could get away with it.
    2 days of scorchio meant I just wore the CWC G10 and didn't bother looking in the watch box. It's a hard life

Master
    I knew my sumo was sensitive to orientation but hadn't taken much notice to where it was fast or slow before...... Until now. I've clawed it back to +9 from + 23 in the last two days. It seems crown down it's a few seconds fast, crown up it's a few seconds more slow. So by checking it I can adjust it.... It feels like cheating though!

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    by checking it I can adjust it.... It feels like cheating though
    It was adjudicated that doing this was a perfectly valid thing early on in last year's challenge. If you don't like the rules of the game you're not taking part in, you're very welcome to etc etc

Master
    I'm not trying too challenge any agreed rules, I'm just commenting on something that feels odd. On the one hand I am learning where my sumo is accurate and where it isn't and learning a pattern by which I could keep it very accurate over time without the need to refer to a reference. On the other hand as it has variance, and that can be of the order of +/- 30 seconds/day, it feels like one of my less accurate watches. Compare to my PO which is +1.25sec/day and is stunning consistent. So the sumo could end up within a second or 2 when bst ends (, or a bit of carelessness in the last day or 2 and it could be a minute out),. The PO (if currently running). Would be pretty much exactly 1.25 secs per day out. The sumo will have been checked, babied and nurtured, the po wouldn't benefit from that. Personally I think of my po as accurate. Anyway, I'm just pointing it out as it seems amusing and interesting, not to start a debate, particularly if it's been 'ruled' upon.

I withdrew my Smiths clock early on as it clearly needed a bit more regulating. Since doing that a week ago, it has run at a steady +3s per day. I just had to get that off my chest.

I’m enjoying following the thread, kudos to Der Amf in particular for keeping the show on the road and thanks to everyone who keeps posting.

3 weeks, +41 seconds so does indeed seem to have steadied now to a gain of around 11/12 seconds per week. Time will tell if that is consistent, if it is then I think that's pretty good for a hummer.

It was adjudicated that doing this was a perfectly valid thing early on in last year's challenge. If you don't like the rules of the game you're not taking part in, you're very welcome to etc etc
    lolz :)

Journeyman

The baby tuna is currently +9.

Master
    Another overnight spent crown up and I've got the sumo back to -1 second. Not bad at all! Of course tomorrow it'll be 30 seconds out but right now I'm pleased.

Journeyman
    Whilst not being allowed to 'officially' join in this challenge, i've noticed that my Black Bay is running at -7 seconds a day, which is outside COSC i believe.
    This isn't bothering me too much although it is a minor irritation. I've never checked either of my other watches so might give them a go when the week is up on this one.
    Last edited by Mr.Dee; 24th April 2020 at 19:21.

Craftsman
    Currently at -12 seconds, so around -1/2 second a day... Not bad.

The Omega is gaining a fair amount of time, It’s getting little wrist time and plenty of hand winding.

Three week update for the BLNR. It's currently at +50 secs over 21 days giving an improved overall average of +2.38 per day. It's been worn daily as before but stored crown up overnight since the last update (previously stored crown down). This has clearly slowed the movement slightly.

Last edited by Der Amf; 1st May 2020 at 07:34.

The mighty Landmaster needs an update. Doing OK at the moment, 7 secs ahead.

4 week update of the Grand Seiko. +/-0 seconds over 28 days.

The 2020 British Summer Time Challenge

Just over 2s after 28 days...

Worn constantly day and night so no playing around crown up/down.

The offsets graph gives a slightly different story:

Last edited by Saint-Just; 26th April 2020 at 15:39.

28 days in and the Snowflake has gained a total of ten seconds, started 67s behind, now 57s behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Just over 2s after 28 days...

Worn constantly day and night so no playing around crown up/down.

The offsets graph gives a slightly different story:

That's very impressive, fair play. I was convinced that you were using the crown up/down 'cheat' ;-)

I would never have the patience.

Blog Entries
    Patek 5146 on April 26 is +88sec so since April 1 averaging about +3s/day (or +21s/week)

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th April 2020 at 21:47.

Master
    My Tudor BB GMT is back to decent accuracy again. Daily wear is -2s, but +2 when left crown up.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Hello
    I am sorry but I think that I might need to withdraw my 932.....
    This morning when trying to wind it and in the same time attending a conf call...i pulled the crown a little too much and I altered the settings.....