closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster Update! Walkerwek1958 Service/Refurb

Craftsman

Speedmaster Update! Walkerwek1958 Service/Refurb

Hello all,

A few of you may remember my previous post about a speedmaster I acquired via ebay at a very good price (and I know a few wanted to see the update of the watch when finished)

I took a little leap of faith, as the watch was simply described as only running for 8 hours, so was hoping it would be just a service and a mainspring change.. of course this wasnt the case (novice mistake)

Any how, Walkerwek1958 very kindly offered his services, the watch was looking rather tired to say the least, there was no real difference in the polishing and the brushed edges to the bracelet, and but the watch head was in overall good condition, just the general wear and tear of a 15+ year old speedy, except for 2 major scratches on the hesalite, which were very deep.

Paul told me how someone had been in the movement before and left the movement screws unattached, and loose in the case back, the seconds hand was glued on to the dial, and the chrono was jammed, Paul replaced all parts and serviced the movement, fitted new pushers and crown (at my request, I also believe the stem was bent and one of the pushers? Paul seems to guess at side impact, which I agree with)

In terms of the refinishing, paul has done an excellent job, he managed to refinish the hesalite with no scratches, and has polished and brushed the whole watch to an exceptional standard, whilst also maintaining some of the character of the watch, which is way above and beyond expectations.

I can whole heartily recommend Paul, he was happy to reply to my numerous emails and kept me up to date on the timeline, a true pleasure and professional.

Pictures of before below.
    [IMG]

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cart3rlfc; 28th March 2020 at 23:17.

Craftsman
    After pictures.

Paul’s H&V speaks for itself, and he did a great job servicing my Tag Aquaracer too.

Master
    Looks great!

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

He always does a great job. He currently has a little Constellation project of mine , which I'm looking forward to seeing again
    Looks great OP , I know from his previous posts that he doesn't particularly enjoy the refinishing , but I think you will agree he's bloody good at It!

Paul has serviced most of my watches, including my Speedmaster.

He’s a true TZ gent.

But that’s to be expected with his background in chemistry, the king of the sciences! (I may be biased).

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Paul has serviced most of my watches, including my Speedmaster.

He’s a true TZ gent.

But that’s to be expected with his background in chemistry, the king of the sciences! (I may be biased).
    I agree. Both about Paul and chemistry!

Speedmaster Update! Walkerwek1958 Service/Refurb

Thanks for the update. That now looks like a very nice Speedmaster that anyone would be happy to wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks amazing. Talk about brought back to life.

Well done to the two of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That looks absolutely fantastic, a massive credit to both you and Paul, I love reading stories like this and seeing the end result, what a peach and a great rescue from eBay.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s a great outcome.

Master
    That looks really nice. I have to add to the list of Paul's fans, he revitalised my Seamaster 2254 last year - it was 12 & had never been serviced. Paul made it look & run like new, even solving a tricky puzzle with the bezel insert. I can't recommend him highly enough, it was a pleasure to deal with him.

Craftsman
    That is a fantastic outcome, totally transformed.

Top marks for that! Paul is a top man and a credit to the forum in helping so many of us including myself.

That looks like a great job ,but in terms of money,would you of been better buying a good one or are you still better off ,only asking has I’ve seen a couple of pieces before on the likes of eBay and thought are they worth a punt .
    But I do also get the fact that it must be satisfying bringing it back to life.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    That looks like a great job ,but in terms of money,would you of been better buying a good one or are you still better off ,only asking has I’ve seen a couple of pieces before on the likes of eBay and thought are they worth a punt .
    But I do also get the fact that it must be satisfying bringing it back to life.

Hello,

Was very much worth it, but as paul explained it's a dangerous game to play (if you are novice, which I am), you need to know what you are looking at and what questions to ask.. which I don't

All in, with the service the watch has cost me about £1650, I bought the watch before all the coronavirus came about, so may end up being going rate for them soon?

Anyway I didn't really buy the watch for an invest, always wanted a speedy, it's my sort of grail watch, and when it came up at the price it was, I found it hard to resist, the watch also came with all original paper work etc.

Master
    It worked out well and Paul was certainly the man for the job. Good work Paul and good looking speedy OP, enjoy it.

Master
    What a great was restoration! Looks like you lucked out buying it and then with the work that Paul did.

Superb work by Paul. The bracelet work looks really nicely done!

Great job by Paul👍

Paul does indeed do great work. Sorted out my vintage Eterna Centenaire 61 for me when a screw and tag fell into and jambed the mechanism.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

It worked out well for you then ,I suppose it’s the luck of the draw.

That looks great, what a difference, good job Paul.

Great job by both of you. You for the astute purchase and Paul for the work bringing it back to its former glory.

Well done.

Excellent work - always satisfying to see a watch restored to its former glory I think

Looking good, enjoy your resurrected watch!

Paul has very kindly worked his magic on several watches for my wife and I, including 3 Speedmasters in various guises!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk