closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recentish journey and SOTC

Master

Recentish journey and SOTC

I took the current STOC pictures for this some weeks back, but haven’t had time until now - and now like everyone else at weekends I seem to have a lot more time, not being able to go out for more than a short walk, and not being able to go and visit family or friends.

This is a recentish ‘journey’ and SOTC. Having been a member of TZ since 2007, and a TZ voyeur for a while before that, a number of TZers will have comes across my SOTCs before. For me my most notable ones were the ‘peak’ one in Dec 2012 and the end state one following that when I made it to just 3.

Dec 2012 - my peak, which led to a period of ‘downsizing’ and clearing a mortgage:

Dec 2014 - The end of the ‘de-cluttering’:

June 2016 - The joy of less took things to a new dimension with a final reduction to 3.

April 2018 - The three crept up - more Rolexes and a trio of Panerai.

Getting down to 3 was quite something and I was content. It meant that I had the watches at home (as opposed to some at home and some in safe deposit) which made life easier.

However, as a WIS enough is never enough, and when the odd Rolex popped up in perfect condition at the right price I couldn’t help myself - my cashflow position had recovered over the past years and I had the discretionary ability to spend.

Also, Panerai took a hold. It was the fault of the 233. It’s a super watch and changed my perspective on Panerai. Their first in house movement, stunning domed crystal, sandwich dial, quick change strap, a feeling of solidity, less common than a Rolex. This led to an interest in further Panerai - initially the 389 diver (47mm, titanium) and then the 368 (47mm titanium, tobacco dial, gold hands, domed crystal, 8 day movement, quick change strap…).

Since this time I found that I ceased to wear the Rolexes and I only wore Panerai. I tried a few others e.g. 346 and 425 and then I sold all my Rolexes, to help fund Panerai, and to cash on the 2018 market in Rolexes. If I had kept them then they would have been worth so much more, but instead I was happy to be out of the Rolex weirdness and taking my own path in the world of Panerai. There are so many models and variations - something for everyone.

I moved through others including 687, 932, 911, 913.... And am now left with a range of watches that are all 1950s Luminor cased.

From the heady days of over 40 watches in 2012, the lesser days of just 3 in 2016 I find myself with a collection of 6 Panerai (plus 2 G-Shocks). I’ll use Taptalk to insert photos in below posts, but the roll call is:

PAM233 LUMINOR 8 DAYS GMT - 44MM https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...mt---44mm.html

PAM654 - LUMINOR YACHTS CHALLENGE - 44MM
    https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...ge---44mm.html

PAM368 - LUMINOR 1950 LEFT-HANDED 8 DAYS TITANIO - 47MM
    https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...io---47mm.html

PAM389 - SUBMERSIBLE AMAGNETIC - 47MM
    https://www.watches-of-switzerland.c...89/p/17650308/

PAM670 - LUMINOR EQUATION OF TIME - 47MM
    https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...me---47mm.html

PAM193 - LUMINOR 1950 SUBMERSIBLE DEPTH GAUGE - 47MM
    https://www.panerai.com/gb/en/collec...ge---47mm.html
    My default wearers are the PAM670 day in day out and the 389 for dress down. Frankly all I would need/want.

I have also slipped down the slope of straps… Adds a whole new dimension. Amazing that at one time all I had/wore were bracelet watches.

Master
    Current group shots.

Last edited by ASW1; 28th March 2020 at 20:28.

Master
    The 670 and 368

Last edited by ASW1; 28th March 2020 at 20:27.

Master
    The divers: 389 and 193

Last edited by ASW1; 28th March 2020 at 20:27.

Master
    The 44mm steel boys: 233 and 654

Last edited by ASW1; 28th March 2020 at 20:04.

Master
    Straps...

Last edited by ASW1; 29th March 2020 at 14:09.

Master
    The G-Shocks...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Master
    That 670 is absolutely stunning.

I notice in your original pre clearout you have a 1980 Ish Omega Seamaster (above the explorers). I still have mine as it was my wedding present and has just returned from a Simon Freese service.

Craftsman
    That Equation of Time 😍 I saw one in the London Boutique and the dial is amazing. A blue face Panerai is something I’m really lusting after if I survive the zombie apocalypse

Very impressive Panerai collection.

I am interested do you get recognition from the brand for owning such a collection i.e do you get invited to stuff?

Master
    I like the rollercoaster journey & you've ended in a very nice place. For me the winner is definitely the 670 & i fear after lusting after pictures that if i ever saw one in the flesh it'd be a very short slope to sourcing one.

Nice collection.

Alex

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah, the 'Table Shot'! I remember it well and being blown away by it!

Master

Recentish journey and SOTC

Fantastic collection and journey, so much trading and I like the fact you don’t hang around.

And not tempted to diversify a bit more again? Or just sticking with the panerai for foreseeable?
    Last edited by ac11111; 28th March 2020 at 20:53.

All beautiful watches, Alun, but for me the star is the 670. Well done, too, on following your own path.

Master
    Panerai tug at the heart strings, once bitten a hard bug to shake. A phrase I've used before, I really like the Rolex that I have but I love my Panerai. I stupidly sold a few last year, now have been bitten by that bug again and have a game plan, sort of!

Very envious of the great collection you have built up, and while the 670 is such a wonderful reference its the 368 (at the moment) that does it for me.

And as for straps. MADNESS!! I even have a Micah ordered for a watch I don't have at the minute, it's a wonderful crazy world all of it's own!!

Master
    That was an amazing collection!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks folks for the comments :)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That 670 is absolutely stunning.

I notice in your original pre clearout you have a 1980 Ish Omega Seamaster (above the explorers). I still have mine as it was my wedding present and has just returned from a Simon Freese service.
    I think that is the 'SHOM' - you'll enjoy this thread where I had a few retro Omega divers https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=SHOM

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    That Equation of Time ďŤ I saw one in the London Boutique and the dial is amazing. A blue face Panerai is something I’m really lusting after if I survive the zombie apocalypse
    I did try to avoid the inevitable by getting a 932 to scratch the itch, but that failed. My journey to acquiring the 670 took a while. I first posted the intent in 2018 https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post4978151 and eventually 'realised' it in Jan 2020 https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ghlight=PAM670

Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    Very impressive Panerai collection.

I am interested do you get recognition from the brand for owning such a collection i.e do you get invited to stuff?
    Nothing formal as such, but I live pretty close to the London Boutique and have a great relationship with the team there. Their ethos to customer service and passion for the brand and Paneristi is for sure an added value of the Panerai brand. I've spent an afternoon on board their classic yacht Eilean, sharing bubbles with the CEO, Jean-Marc, and chewing the cud with Panerai staff, Paneristi who I already know and getting to know others. Both this year and last year the Boutique have done a private viewing of upcoming releases - a few are very appealing, and with only limited numbers (e.g. 100) you'll only get them through a Boutique. I would never get this sort of treatment/inclusion from other more mainstream brands - I don't spend the kind of coin required, and I won't play the games they encourage.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Fantastic collection and journey, so much trading and I like the fact you don’t hang around.

And not tempted to diversify a bit more again? Or just sticking with the panerai for foreseeable?
    I've tried, but when it comes to Łx on another brand of Łx on Panerai, it' Panerai. I've been tempted by a few Blancpain or a Breguet, but I now find other watches so conventional and predictable that I honestly believe that I am so infected by the PAMovirus that this is the only brand for me for the foreseeable. I used to be like that with Rolex i.e. whenever I wasn't wearing one I wanted to be and looked forward to the rotation, whereas now all I want to do is wear one of my PAMs.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    All beautiful watches, Alun, but for me the star is the 670. Well done, too, on following your own path.
    Cheer's Tony. Not really a path I was planning but the distinctiveness, quality and the brand just took me that way. And the Paneristi. The nearest thing to a brand equivalent of a TZer. In many respects I can believe that I've ended up with a 670 - I recall years back when a salesman in Harrods excitedly ushered me to a cabinet to show me an Equation of Time, I was impressed, but there no way I was ever going to drop that kind of cash on a watch, let alone a Panerai. Admittedly, I think that was an Astronomo, so that thinking still applies, but I have a very similar watch for a more every day person. Still a lot of coin but when you look at Rolex prices you ask Daytona versus EoT and it becomes a no-brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Panerai tug at the heart strings, once bitten a hard bug to shake. A phrase I've used before, I really like the Rolex that I have but I love my Panerai. I stupidly sold a few last year, now have been bitten by that bug again and have a game plan, sort of!

Very envious of the great collection you have built up, and while the 670 is such a wonderful reference its the 368 (at the moment) that does it for me.

And as for straps. MADNESS!! I even have a Micah ordered for a watch I don't have at the minute, it's a wonderful crazy world all of it's own!!
    Cheers Nev - per our chat the other day, the 368 does tug at the strings. It's so clean/fresh, and has all those great traits - 47mm, titanium, Luminor, deep domed crystal, gold hands, quick change strap, see through back, 8 day manual. It's a great compliment to the 670.

The straps are a costs that never applied when I was in to Rolex, but it's fun and it's great to be able to bespoke them. For the 670 I ordered 3 bespoke with just one hole and stitching to compliment the 670.
    Last edited by ASW1; 29th March 2020 at 14:08.

Alun some great pieces you have ,the table shot is insane and I didn’t realise you’d been that ill .
    If I ever get that ill I think I may be homeless as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Panerai Alun! I still remember that initial STOC, such a feat to 1. collect it all and 2. then reducing it all!

Panerai still make good watches, maybe less popular than 5-7 years ago, but it means you can grab them at good prices. I still want to try a few 47mm Panerai, something I've never owned. I believe the 1950 case works better in the larger size - especially the diver.

Oh one question - any of your watches have faux lume?

Craftsman
    Fantastic i think I like the 368 the most. Good job

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Good post Alun and some nice pics.
    Panerai is a subtle drug in the watch world, speaking from long and bitter sweet experience.
    I love the EOT, the dial is mesmerising, a lovely piece. The 193 is a real beast. I tried on Nev's 194 before the lockdown and thought it was a chunky monkey but the 193 is a step further.
    I always liked the 389, in fact recently picked up a 47mm ti sub myself, but the pick has to be the 233 for me. It is high on my wish list, and think I would like the dot dial for the history aspect of the movement.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Great Panerai Alun! I still remember that initial STOC, such a feat to 1. collect it all and 2. then reducing it all!

Panerai still make good watches, maybe less popular than 5-7 years ago, but it means you can grab them at good prices. I still want to try a few 47mm Panerai, something I've never owned. I believe the 1950 case works better in the larger size - especially the diver.

Oh one question - any of your watches have faux lume?
    I agree that the 47mm do wear surprisingly well.

Re faux lume, the small amount of lume on the 654 is, as well as on the 389 and 670. These pics should show this:

Last edited by ASW1; 30th March 2020 at 22:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Good post Alun and some nice pics.
    Panerai is a subtle drug in the watch world, speaking from long and bitter sweet experience.
    I love the EOT, the dial is mesmerising, a lovely piece. The 193 is a real beast. I tried on Nev's 194 before the lockdown and thought it was a chunky monkey but the 193 is a step further.
    I always liked the 389, in fact recently picked up a 47mm ti sub myself, but the pick has to be the 233 for me. It is high on my wish list, and think I would like the dot dial for the history aspect of the movement.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Cheers Rob. We can all do with a chunky monkey LOL. What did you pick up in 47mm ti ?

The 233 is a class act. A perfect 'one' watch, plus a load of straps :)

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I agree that the 47mm do wear surprisingly well.

Re faux lume, the small amount of lume on the 654 is, as well as on the 389 and 670. These pics should show this:

Thank you sir! Panerai got in early with the faux lume - sometimes it's a bit OTT, but on your watches I think very nicely done. That diver is a particular is yum!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Thank you sir! Panerai got in early with the faux lume - sometimes it's a bit OTT, but on your watches I think very nicely done. That diver is a particular is yum!
    Cheers J.

With the 389 and 670 you only really notice if they're alongside other non-faux.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Cheers Rob. We can all do with a chunky monkey LOL. What did you pick up in 47mm ti ?

The 233 is a class act. A perfect 'one' watch, plus a load of straps :)

I picked up a 614, love it, waiting on a strap from Micah to set it off. I also liked the 615 but really prefer a date function for a frequently worn watch.

The 233 will fit the straps I have for the 243 so all ready for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I picked up a 614, love it, waiting on a strap from Micah to set it off. I also liked the 615 but really prefer a date function for a frequently worn watch.

The 233 will fit the straps I have for the 243 so all ready for it.
    Ah yes, I think I recall a post of its arrival. You had been toying with one of those for ages. A good call. Congratulations.

All lovely!

I really like that blue dial, and would love it in LHD.

The black bezel insert diver also stands out for me :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Ah, the 'Table Shot'! I remember it well and being blown away by it!
    First time I've seen that table shot - still new here - and can confirm it still blows minds. Dear lord what a collection.

Journeyman
    Some wonderful watches guys

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    great, thanks for sharing.

I must have missed this thread the first time round. That’s some collection with some great pieces. The 670 would be my pick if I had to choose only one.

I know exactly what you mean about the brand. They are well and truly under my skin having also moved away from the Rolex bandwagon. I currently own two Panerai’s but I know that I will be added to them when I can afford to do so.

Straps are sort of under control at the moment having sold off a few. I am looking for the perfect strap for the 1033 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk