closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Monster Movement Mod

Monster Movement Mod

With all this spare time just now I've decided to get on with my project of replacing the movement in my Seiko Monster gen 1 with the NH36. I purchased a new movement from Crystaltimes a while ago. The first job was to replace the white day/date wheels with the black version. I have replaced day wheels before on this movement but this was the first time I had done the date wheel which is slightly more involved due to having to unscrew a plate that holds it in. I have read many tutorials about this so was able to complete the task without too much stress! One thing I did find was that all the tutorials said that one of the screws that hold the date wheel holding plate on, has a Philips type head. Where as the others are slot head. On this particular movement I found that all the screws were slot head. This made things easier. Though I was slightly peeved as I had bought several different sized Philips heads for the job! Oh, well, I'm sure they'll come in handy in the future. So far, so good. The next job is to set the hands. Not my favorite task!
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I should have taken more pics but I forget to do so when concentrating.
    Last edited by Kaffe; 27th March 2020 at 23:26.

Hands set tonight. All nice and perpendicular. No fouling and line up nicely on the hour. The date wheel clicks over at 12 oclock. Very fiddly but very pleased. I was worried about the minute hand as it overlaps the chapter ring which is attached to the dial. The hand is close but not fouling. The second hand was not as much a problem as I had thought. I must be getting better with practice! I know this is very mundane for you experts on here but it's a very satisfying moment for me! I've wound up the movement and letting it run overnight just in case!!

[IMG][/IMG]

Good work, well done !
    F.T.F.A.

Thank you. It is incredibly satisfying doing the simple things. My biggest problem next is to clear all the dust from inside the crystal. The blower is not sufficient so going to have to manually clean it. Damn!

Finished!

[IMG][/IMG]

I had a problem fitting the bezel. It's a NOS one as the old one was very scratched. It was quite difficult to fit and when it was on I could hardly turn it. After lots of worrying and pondering, I took it off again. I was concerned about distorting it on removal but it came off reasonable easily. I then discovered that I had managed to snag the bezel o-ring when I had fitted it. Luckily I was able to get it back into shape. With a slight smear of silicon grease, the bezel snapped back on easily and works fine. The grease is not ideal as it will eventually pick up dirt but until I order a replacement, I'm very happy for now! I just need to decide on bracelet or rubber strap.

Is there any kind of list or data base of part numbers cross referencing for movement and case configuration.
    Reason I ask is when shopping movements between cases, depending on crown orientation depends on date and day wheels lining up.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Is there any kind of list or data base of part numbers cross referencing for movement and case configuration.
    Reason I ask is when shopping movements between cases, depending on crown orientation depends on date and day wheels lining up.
    Yes that would be very useful. I can't imagine such a list existing though. There are so many variations. Also it's not just the movement but the various movement holders to consider as well.

Did this a few years back, it’s a great mod. My DIY beater.