closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Haircuts In A Time Of Coronavirus

Haircuts In A Time Of Coronavirus

I'm going to be needing a haircut lonnnng before the barbers are allowed to reopen. I'm not bothered about on top, that can go long, but the back and sides get on my nerves if their allowed to grow thick. I figure my options are either order some clippers online to keep the short stuff short, or just hack away at the whole lot with a pair of kitchen scissors. I'm not convinced I would do a decent enough job with the clippers to make them worthwhile, and the chaos of the scissors might at least be entertaining....

I took a bit off mine with my clippers, not great but watch a couple of youtube videos and give it a go!
    I'll be first in line when my barbers opens!

It’s hard to mess up a grade 2 all over!

I foolishly forgot to get one before lockdown. Not had a haircut since mid Jan (maybe a bit earlier even). Dammit! Anyway I'm just going to let it grow and hope it just thickens and doesn't lengthen too much. If it gets too much, then number 4 all over is the only thing to do.

I'll be giving myself a number 4 this weekend and taking the beard off. I've gone a bit Robinson Crusoe the past two weeks …

You can't go wrong really. Just use your thumb and forefinger to pull the hair all over afterwards to check for the stray long ones, then snip 'em.

No change for me, haven't been to a barbers in years. I just run the clippers over my head once a week with no wussy plastic guards on - none of this number 2 crap for me - bare blades on flesh is the only way to go.

Kitchen scissors and post pics, please

Blog Entries
    Simple style Number 1. The hipster look.
    Just grow a beard to go with it!

But be careful not to let it get too long.............................................. .....

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

We have a national emergency, half the country are struggling for income, there are people dying.......
    And you're worrying about hair cuts..?

FFS...get a life.

Comb, mirror, scissors....get on with it.

Go chrome baby.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    We have a national emergency, half the country are struggling for income, there are people dying.......

FFS...get a life.

Maybe a little harsh?
    He didn’t exactly comment on a thread about the seriousness of the situation by asking the question about trimming his noggin did he?
    Chill!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    No change for me, haven't been to a barbers in years. I just run the clippers over my head once a week with no wussy plastic guards on - none of this number 2 crap for me - bare blades on flesh is the only way to go.
    You a Yorkshire man Ken?

FFS...get a life.
    To be fair, you should repeat this reply on most of the threads on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    You a Yorkshire man Ken?
    Wirral. It was Cheshire when I was a lad until some bugger in the Ted Heath Govt decided that we were Merseyside. Nowt to do with money, more a need to keep a shiny bonce

Been cutting my own hair for years anyway, so I’m grand.

I’ve had the same hairstyle for about 15 years - clipper shaved No.2 at the back & sides, graduating longer at the sides & towards the front, then longest (but still quite short) at the front. Add a bit of wax for a choppy style, and done.

Easy to do with clipper grades 2-6, using the micro-adjustment lever in-between to ensure no ‘step’ change between lengths. Just need two mirrors & a bit of ambidexterity. It’s not rocket science.

Started not because I’m tight - more so because they never did my hair exactly right, hated wasted weekend time at appointments, sitting there whilst delayed, and aimless small talk. Plus the hairs down my back necessitating a shower afterwards. Now I can maintain & cut on my schedule.

Might grow a beard though...

FFS...get a life.
    "Daddy, what did you do during the Coronavirus lockdown, when people were stuck indoors all day, every day?"

"Well son, I clucked like a chicken on an online forum."

Craftsman
    Totally agree, ain't been to a barber for 15 year plus.
    No guard once every two week. No messing about, just threaten it with the towel after a shower and ready for out.

Journeyman
    The wife cut mine today. Used the dog clippers.
    I’m just glad this lockdown is gonna last a while yet!

I was thinking it might be the perfect time to try that new hair colour you've always fancied ...

Master
    It's not me I'm worried about!

For some years I have saved much money whilst maintaining the authentic barbers' shop atmosphere by running my Braun Cordless Gentleman's Grooming Appliance sans plastic guard over my somewhat distorted scalp, whilst at the same time sprinkling my pate with cigarette ash and talking to myself about Manchester United.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    It's not me I'm worried about!

Isn't there a different thread for that kind of thing?
    I stumbled across it by mistake and will never be quite the same again.

I broke out the Bic Orange; it’ll grow back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Im just waiting for Jamiethebarber ( a member on here) to chip in with TZ top 5 tips for kitchen cutting 👍

Anyone recommend a decent cordless clipper, with a decent range of cutting lengths, not sure I want to go straight
    for a No.2

FFS...get a life.

Yeah and in a national emergency people still like to have a bit of light relief and maybe for some people that is this forum. It’s simple of this thread is too light hearted for you in our national emergency then DONT READ IT. There is no need to troll and abuse others for using the forum.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Anyone recommend a decent cordless clipper, with a decent range of cutting lengths, not sure I want to go straight
    for a No.2
    Like a few others it seems, I have been using clippers for quite some time, maybe 8 years as a guess. Still using the Wahl (corded) that I started out with. They've been faultless and weren't expensive, maybe £40 or so iirc.
    I know they do a cordless range, could be a decent place to start looking.

Master
    I just run the clippers over my head last Sunday morning and finished off the job with a razor blade. It soon grows back.

Craftsman
    I just had my haircut by a mate at work who has no training and I had no mirror, it was quite a scary experience!!!
    Didn't turn out too bad, thought he was going to make me look like a total ****
    But apparently I don't need any help in that department

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    Like a few others it seems, I have been using clippers for quite some time, maybe 8 years as a guess. Still using the Wahl (corded) that I started out with. They've been faultless and weren't expensive, maybe £40 or so iirc.
    very little available on Amazon guess has been a bit of a rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    Kitchen scissors and post pics, please
    Might have to be on the BP.....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm going to be needing a haircut lonnnng before the barbers are allowed to reopen. I'm not bothered about on top, that can go long, but the back and sides get on my nerves if their allowed to grow thick. I figure my options are either order some clippers online to keep the short stuff short, or just hack away at the whole lot with a pair of kitchen scissors. I'm not convinced I would do a decent enough job with the clippers to make them worthwhile, and the chaos of the scissors might at least be entertaining....
    I was in a similar situation and picked up a wahl clippers in boots...€40, I did my little lads head with a little help from YouTube, a few days later I let the wife go mad with it on my head...she had a few glasses of wine but in fairness she did a great job, she thinks I look like a convict 😂

for a No.2
    Boots have a good selection, I got one recently and like your enquiring it has the different attachments, a comb and a scissors

Master
    Just taken delivery of the Phillip's 3000 from Amazon at £29.99. Now trying to work out who I trust at home to to it. May check my diary for next week to see how many conference calls I have scheduled next week...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post
    I have cut my own hair for 20 years now !
    Wahl professional with plastic guides 1 to 8.
    8 on top then feather down to 2 at the extremes. Need two mirrors to do the back properly though...
    Last edited by redkite; 27th March 2020 at 23:14.

Master
    Does anyone know if the 1-8 etc length settings are a universal? I mean, is a 3 on a commercial-standard looking Wahl the same as a 3 on a Remington beard trimmer?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Does anyone know if the 1-8 etc length settings are a universal? I mean, is a 3 on a commercial-standard looking Wahl the same as a 3 on a Remington beard trimmer?
    I might be wrong but I thought each number meant a set length...1=1/8in.
    Last edited by Christian; 27th March 2020 at 23:54.

Craftsman
    It is an eighth of an inch scale.... so 1 = 1/8 ...... 8 = 1 Inch

I get to sleep with my Barber, though she prefers the word hairdresser.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

No don’t think so. Start on the highest setting and work down to avoid any mishaps. Don’t ask how I know!

Grand Master
    RIAC

The bald man is King in the country of the hirsute.
    F.T.F.A.

I’ve not been near a barbers for 20 years and had a skinhead from when I was young, the only difference is now there are a few less black dots remaining.

FFS...get a life.

I think what we all need in tough times is a little lighthearted banter from time to time, as you can see this thread is just that.

Amazon had stock of various Philips ones arriving around 8th April but at checkout delivery was middle of May,
    went to Boots website which had a queue of over 100,000 and a wait of 40 minutes which went up to an hour In
    the 45 minutes I was in it.
    Ended up buying some on the Bay which cost me a bit more but hopefully arrive middle of next week.

Master
    Ditto... I used the same Andis clippers we used on the dogs. 10F blade with a 1.25" comb. All over the same. Been doing that for perhaps 15 plus years. Well, tbh, that was until a couple of months ago when SWMBO decided it was time for a 'proper' haircut. So it was down to her hairdressers and 45mins later and £20 poorer I came out looking like Clint Eastwood! I kid you not... it was the same haircut from Dirty Harry! Then I had to start using 'product'.... a new one on me. The hairdresser asks 'what product do you use'? What? Sorry? Product? So then it was Boots for some VO5.... Anyway, with the current quarantine in place I guess it's back to the Andis ;-)

Amazon had stock of various Philips ones arriving around 8th April but at checkout delivery was middle of May,
    went to Boots website which had a queue of over 100,000 and a wait of 40 minutes which went up to an hour In
    the 45 minutes I was in it.
    Ended up buying some on the Bay which cost me a bit more but hopefully arrive middle of next week.
    This one available tomorrow with Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Mul.../dp/B07KP3VW7B
    Hair combs are 9,12, 16mm so approx #3, #4, #5 and you could use the beard or stubble combs to get shorter should you want to.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I've had the same haircut from the same barber for about 20 years and it's getting to the stage now where I look in the mirror and think I ought to make an appointment (which I obviously can't do). I do have an old battery beard trimmer that I can use to keep sidies, ear ticklers and curly neck bits in check but I wouldn't fancy doing my whole head with it - I suspect it would do half the job then pack in. I might just grow it out and see what happens. Any tips on getting the bald patch and receding bits to grow back too?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    This one available tomorrow with Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Mul.../dp/B07KP3VW7B
    Hair combs are 9,12, 16mm so approx #3, #4, #5 and you could use the beard or stubble combs to get shorter should you want to.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I've had the same haircut from the same barber for about 20 years and it's getting to the stage now where I look in the mirror and think I ought to make an appointment (which I obviously can't do). I do have an old battery beard trimmer that I can use to keep sidies, ear ticklers and curly neck bits in check but I wouldn't fancy doing my whole head with it - I suspect it would do half the job then pack in. I might just grow it out and see what happens. Any tips on getting the bald patch and receding bits to grow back too?
    Thanks but decided better to buy something specifically for hair, I’ve got a beard trimmer already.

Journeyman

Same! Been doing it for a year or so now, my hair sadly thinned out over my early thirties, so it was time to admit defeat and accept it gracefully.

I got one of the battery powered Remmington clippers,initially with mixed results (always seemed to miss a patch)