closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crown unscrewing itself

Master

Crown unscrewing itself

Has anybody else experienced this? I've not had it with other watches I own or have owned(PO, SMP, Ocean one, pelagos) but my recently purchased Seiko sumo seems to unscrew the crown if I do active stuff. I check crowns and hevs are screwed in regularly so I've noticed this quickly and pinned it down to a particularly violent activity, splitting firewood with an axe. It's happened a couple of times now. Yesterday I checked the crown was tight before starting, split a couple of rounds, checked it again and it was well loosened and took another turn our more to tighten. I then split another 6 or 8 large rounds over 15 minutes and it stayed tight this time. I'm hoping there is nothing wrong with the watch and that the watch moving on my wrist is managing to unscrew the crown against the back of my hand but not sure. Maybe the 4 o'clock crown position has some part in it. Ideas?

Master
    I had the same problem 5 or 6 times and then it stopped and hasn't reoccured in month. In my case I think I wasn't tightening the crown enough or possibly I was wearing the watch too tightly and the crown was interacting with my wrist.

Master
    What watch gerrud? I'd say I tend to screw crowns down tight but perhaps new watch, threads a bit tight or seals really puffy and I've not screwed it as tight as I thought. I'm keeping a close eye on it now and with lots more wood to split we will see if it happens again.

Master
    It was the Everest. As I said I was concerned about it but since it has stopped occurring and I haven't seen any other reports I assumed it was something I was doing.

Master
    Picture of the watch on your wrist from the crown side please.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I would imagine that you are pushing a fair level of stress through the watch with each blow. Probably got sod all to do with your problem, but I would be inclined to take the Watch off before wielding the axe.

There is shock proof, but a mad axeman is another level altogether

Might be worth texting Her Majesty she might have experienced this before...
    Last edited by aamaci; 28th March 2020 at 11:53.

Master
    Yes Wallasey there must be a fair shock, although with a decent axe handle, gloves and decent technique my hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders don't complain so its not as bad as it could be. I do question wearing a £750 mechanical watch doing these tasks, but I've decided the Sumo is my beater...it is after all a Prospex...a pro spec sports watch...so I will wear it splitting wood, mountain biking, road cycling, swimming and doing the diy. I may regret that...but well..hope not!

link to pictures https://photos.app.goo.gl/rKRWB31gzUnPrZsH6 I'll try and embed as well but google photos still defeats me sometimes. smallish wrist, 6.75", bracelet worn a little loose so watch can move a little but i actually find the sumo really comfy, the curved lugs cuddle round my wrist nicely and despite its 45mm heft its not uncomfy.

Last edited by LondonNeil; 27th March 2020 at 23:44.