closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boris has Corona Virus

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    It's worse than that. If Boris becomes incapacitated, Raab takes over as acting PM.

Frightening thought, because Raab is a genuine 24ct, gold plated, idiot.
    Oh I dunno, sounds like a like-for-like swap to me.

Seriously though shouldn't he have just self isolated and carried on working from home for a week, just like everyone else has been urged to, shows solidarity with the nation, in all probability he'll have a mild dose taking age into account. That would've been one more test for the hard pressed and much more crucial front line health workers or those in hospital...the blokes just a glorified civil servant after all even if the worst happened he's replaceable to infinity, not so those with the necessary training and skills to look after people in their greatest need, upon whose shoulders the NHS rests and that's what/who it is all about so we've been told, time and again.
    Last edited by Passenger; 27th March 2020 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    ... not so those with the necessary training and skills to look after people in their greatest need.
    And who don't get a test.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Quite, forgot to mention that but another very pertinent point in these febrile times, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    It's worse than that. If Boris becomes incapacitated, Raab takes over as acting PM.

Frightening thought, because Raab is a genuine 24ct, gold plated, idiot.
    Oh come on, credit where credit's due, Raab isn't THAT good!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Perfect
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I wish him well, and hope his strong leadership continues.
    100% agree. Get well soon BoJo. You are doing a grand job alongside our wonderful NHS and countless other key workers. Keep safe all.

Maybe do you think we can stop these snide comments please? It's getting a bit tiresome.

Blog Entries
    No politics on here then.

I hope anyone who gets this terrible virus can recover. Whoever they are.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    No politics on here then.

I don't often agree with you ook, but I do on this.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I think that this just highlights how rampant the virus must be within the population, if and when we get mass screening tests I think we will find out a lot of us have it of have had it.
    I agree, most of my family were unwell in the weeks before Coronavirus fever hit - We can't say it was that for sure, but a number of us certainly had some of the symptoms.

I agree with this too, happy to give Boris and his cronies as much of a kicking as they deserve once this is over, but for now, the important thing is getting the country and the smashed economy back on its feet.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 27th March 2020 at 17:20.

Maybe do you think we can stop these snide comments please? It's getting a bit tiresome.
    Just stating the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Surely it should be "Corona virus has Boris"?
    I've always admired the cut of your jibb.

Little chance of that. Alas it seems that even a global pandemic isn’t enough for some to park their petty political dogma.

On the topic of testing, again it available to those who are exhibiting symptoms. If you don’t have symptoms then there is no point testing. Boris was most likely tested because his symptoms covered a number of illnesses from Covid 19, a common cold, Tonsillitis, laryngitis, glandular fever, asbestosis, etc, right the way through to forms of cancer.

Its shocking I know, but the treatment for these differs depending on the cause.

Perhaps some people would be happier if Boris hadn’t had the test and simply carried on - possibly infecting others, including his pregnant partner.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Not been on here for a while but with a bit of extra time thought I would today, didn’t take long to remember why
    I hadn’t.

I know it’s only a few but I thought with the current situation they might have crawled back under their rocks which is what
    I shall now do.

I'll foxtrot oscar to the Bear Pit.

He’s the leader of the country! His cabinet needs to know his status for sure. I bet a fair few of them have it too.

Under 60, mild symptoms but gets a test.

Under 60, mild symptoms but gets a test.
    That stupid remark is very similar to one made by another forum buffoon the other day about the news that Prince Charles contracted it earlier this week.

What's the matter with you people ??

Surely not testing the current PM - regardless of your political views - would be plain stupid, considering not just the job he does, but the people he has been in contact with doing that job. It’s absolutely logical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah now logic, test, test , test and enough of the right PPE for those on the front lines but we missed that boat by wasting last month on hand washing lessons. Oh except for Spaffer the plum often delivering the lesson, lolz.

Nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Gove, the most insincere and untrustworthy Minister of all, standing flanked either side by the kind of experts he said the country had had enough of?

The irony is so extreme you couldn't make it up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Gove, the most insincere and untrustworthy Minister of all, standing flanked either side by the kind of experts he said the country had had enough of?

The irony is so extreme you couldn't make it up.
    Is there anything in the current crisis that you wouldn't try to politicise or relate to Brexit?

Master
    Blog Entries

No. 10 Cat

Perhaps no. 10 cat has took control.

Is there anything in the current crisis that you wouldn't try to politicise or relate to Brexit?
    But everything in this crisis IS political, Ian. The best proof is that different countries, listening to different experts (chosen by the government in place), follow different policies. Different counting systems mean that death rates vary widely for essentially the same virus. Different testing policies mean that numbers diagnosed also vary greatly. And I am not even going into the state of the NHS, the lack of PPE since the beginning, etc.

The critical attitude is also responsible for the scrutiny needed to hold the government to accounts, and I would expect this from both sides of the political spectrum, regardless of who's in power. I also understand you did not like to read it, but the image of Gove flanked by 2 experts whose advice he had to rely upon was ironic to the extreme, and deserves to become a regular meme.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    But everything in this crisis IS political, Ian. The best proof is that different countries, listening to different experts (chosen by the government in place), follow different policies. Different counting systems mean that death rates vary widely for essentially the same virus. Different testing policies mean that numbers diagnosed also vary greatly. And I am not even going into the state of the NHS, the lack of PPE since the beginning, etc.

The critical attitude is also responsible for the scrutiny needed to hold the government to accounts, and I would expect this from both sides of the political spectrum, regardless of who's in power. I also understand you did not like to read it, but the image of Gove flanked by 2 experts whose advice he had to rely upon was ironic to the extreme, and deserves to become a regular meme.
    I don't think it needs to be. It seems as though some see this crisis as an opportunity to simply say whatever the government does is never going to be enough. No previous government stockpiled PPE equipment in sufficient quantities, a large proportion has had to be sourced and inevitably there will be some cases where it wasn't quick enough. A logistical nightmare with the media spotlighting every case that slips through the net.
    As for experts, a great many predictions by the so called experts have proved false, and some even deliberately so. Even you would have to admit that.

Much of the political comment regarding this just seems like 'cheap shots' to me. As I said before, some are obviously still smarting at not getting their own way.

I don't think it needs to be. It seems as though some see this crisis as an opportunity to simply say whatever the government does is never going to be enough. No previous government stockpiled PPE equipment in sufficient quantities, a large proportion has had to be sourced and inevitably there will be some cases where it wasn't quick enough. A logistical nightmare with the media spotlighting every case that slips through the net.
    As for experts, a great many predictions by the so called experts have proved false, and some even deliberately so. Even you would have to admit that.

Much of the political comment regarding this just seems like 'cheap shots' to me. As I said before, some are obviously still smarting at not getting their own way.
    I am sure there are cheap shots. Fairly innocent when you see the man who tried to starve junior doctors into submission take shots at his predecessor from the same party. And it is precisely because there is always one side that doesn't get his own way that it is eager to scrutinise every action from the opposite side, and that is actually healthy for democracy.

Today the whole planet is facing (roughly) the same virus. Yet there is so much that is not yet known that there are opposite policies, and some politicians are considering switching. The only thing science can do is improve the data (=more testing) and the death recording (=harmonise criteria) to help validate whether containment is better than letting it rip now or in a few weeks, and what the consequences will be for people needing ICUs (we've already seen what it's like in Italy, Spain and some parts of France, who both have twice as many ICU beds available as the UK. Germany has 4 times the UK ICU beds.)
    As to PPE quantities, it was deliberately reduced. A political decision. Indeed, it could have saved money over a few years, and it may have done. But those decisions have consequences. the fact that Germany chose to have 4 times as many ICU beds even though they are probably never all in use is also a political decision.

Blog Entries
    I am sure there are cheap shots. Fairly innocent when you see the man who tried to starve junior doctors into submission take shots at his predecessor from the same party. And it is precisely because there is always one side that doesn't get his own way that it is eager to scrutinise every action from the opposite side, and that is actually healthy for democracy.

Today the whole planet is facing (roughly) the same virus. Yet there is so much that is not yet known that there are opposite policies, and some politicians are considering switching. The only thing science can do is improve the data (=more testing) and the death recording (=harmonise criteria) to help validate whether containment is better than letting it rip now or in a few weeks, and what the consequences will be for people needing ICUs (we've already seen what it's like in Italy, Spain and some parts of France, who both have twice as many ICU beds available as the UK. Germany has 4 times the UK ICU beds.)
    As to PPE quantities, it was deliberately reduced. A political decision. Indeed, it could have saved money over a few years, and it may have done. But those decisions have consequences. the fact that Germany chose to have 4 times as many ICU beds even though they are probably never all in use is also a political decision.
    Referring to "the man who tried to starve junior doctors into submission" is all well and good but I remember in 1979 in the winter of discontent when Callaghans government tried to do it to the nurses, as well as others, so it's not as though Labour governments have never resisted NHS pay claims . The painting of one side as always looking to persecute the less well off (or NHS workers) and the other as angelic do gooders who would give you their last Rolo has never sat well with me. I've been a trade unionist, Labour Party member and Conservative party member (some more than once) so I've heard all the prejudices and arguments from both sides. I've been on strike and been on the other side as well and there's no side that's always right.

Hopefully as science learns more about this virus strategies can become more effective, I think in the beginning it was difficult to know exactly which one would be 1. the most effective... and 2. the kindest to the population. The two might not be the same.
    Be interested to see your sources for PPE quantities being reduced, and when it happened.

As for the number of ICU's available in the UK, this could have been increased by any government over the last couple of decades. Hardly all the fault of the government who have been in power less than 6 months. So yes it's a political decision, taken by more than one government.

Boris has Corona Virus

I think I was quite clear in saying that each opposition should scrutinise the government (which the current opposition has failed to do for some time now). Therefore, far from me the idea that one side is the Shire and the other is Mordor. But a tu quoque dating back 40 years is a bit much, even for you ;)

As to your request for sources, a quick search on my mobile gave me this: https://inews.co.uk/news/health/coro...Hsv6E9jjlHSFr4
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 29th March 2020 at 00:18.

Blog Entries
    I think I was quite clear in saying that each opposition should scrutinise the government (which the current opposition has failed to do for some time now). Therefore, far from me the idea that one side is the Shire and the other is Mordor. But a tu quoque dating back 40 years is a bit much, even for you ;)

As to your request for sources, a quick search on my mobile gave me this: https://inews.co.uk/news/health/coro...Hsv6E9jjlHSFr4
    It was the first instance that sprang to mind without searching, no doubt there would be more recent cases.

As for the PPE, eye protection only?
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 29th March 2020 at 08:15.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In these desperate times whatever I think of him I want to trust his judgement and common sense.

This is not a good example in fact it’s stupidity at the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    In these desperate times whatever I think of him I want to trust his judgement and common sense.

This is not a good example in fact it’s stupidity at the highest level.

Yes sadly no matter what gets done including good things, THIS is the soundbyte he will be remembered for during this debacle. Still I hope he recovers swiftly.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I suspect the Queen and Philip will have been in a protective bubble for the last week already...probably sat in a room with hepa filtration and positive pressure. I can’t imagine we’ll see her out and about meeting the public again until a vaccine is found.

I wonder if this would cause the queen to abdicate earlier than expected. A vaccine could be a year or further away, and with Charles now seemingly immune from catching the virus he surely will be stepping up to cover all the Queen’s royal engagements.

Wow. However why stop at health service staff. Why not other emergency services (exposed to all sorts of nasty diseases - some much worse than Covid) and some transmitted by members of the general public coughing/splitting/bleeding on them.

Surely this should be extended to police officers, fire, ambulance and medical staff because of the risk posed by some members of the general public. Perhaps it should be extend to all professional/amateur sports folk, who have made splitting and nose cleaning part of the game - ignoring of course the possible health risks. And finally extended to all other customer facing staff, because of the risks associated - or are you saying that teachers, bus drivers, etc are not worthy of said protection? Perhaps we should all walk around wearing a hijab and glasses.

But as you have taken exception to looking back 40 years. How about 20 years, when Labour were quite happy to send UK troops into war zones without the necessary equipment costing the lives of over 300 people.

Perhaps rather than trying to score points against governmental decisions (not just the one elected 3 months ago) we need to focus on moving forward. Otherwise people might talk about the £100B (net) the UK Tax payer gave to the EU over the past few years, which could have been spent on other stuff. And we wouldn’t want that.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I wonder if this would cause the queen to abdicate earlier than expected. A vaccine could be a year or further away, and with Charles now seemingly immune from catching the virus he surely will be stepping up to cover all the Queen’s royal engagements.
    Unlikely. It would look as if the Queen was running away from the fight.

Even if she or Phil was to die (irrespective of cause), I very much doubt it would be formally announced until we were well over the hump of this. State funerals, Coronations (and all that).

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Perhaps some of you have forgotten...

Forum: George & Dragon

Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion

Master
    Looking backwards doesn’t really help at all does it, not at the moment anyway.

To use a well worn phrase, we are where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I doubt there will BE any royal engagements for the foreseeable

Blog Entries
    At the same time: our 53 y/o PM (born and raised in The Hague) paid a visit outside a local elderly home to congratulate a 94 y/o ADO Den Haag (The Hague Football Club) keeper with his b/day today. All selfies were taken with paying attention to the 2m rule.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I am going for a width of the road gap, I feel better much further away.

thats just how I feel,not criticising.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Personally I am going for a width of the road gap, I feel better much further away.

thats just how I feel,not criticising.
    Ye well I’m afraid Strathclyde Park was packed with idiots today. We will never see the back of it at this rate.