closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Serica WWW on a bonklip

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    415

    Serica WWW on a bonklip

    I rather like the Serica WWW watch, I thought this would be on interest to anyone else who is a fan. It's a classic design, plus I like the fact it has 100m of water resistance. I really only have two things I change. I would have liked something other than mineral glass either acrylic or sapphire. And I do prefer a metal bracelet to a strap.

    Serica have a picture on their home page of the watch on a bonklip but no option to purchase it. I mailed them this morning and they got back to me with some good news. The bonklip is going to be available for pre-order form April 1. This might be my next (and birthday) watch.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,331
    I just find this observation on their website odd: ďAnd even better, if we go bust tomorrow, no matter. Any watchmaker will be able to revise the watch and make the adjustments if needed.Ē On one level, itís a valid point that an independent would be able to repair the watch. But at the same time, it doesnít inspire confidence that the company is going to be around long term.

    Iíd be interested, but I donít want a screw down crown on a manual wind watch.

  3. #3
    Master Geralt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,125
    Spoiled it with the 24hr numbering. Shame.

    Edit: ...and a screw down crown on a manual wind. Someone needs a good talking to.
    Last edited by Geralt; 27th March 2020 at 13:44.

  4. #4
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,283
    And both hand sets, neither of which a www-like or fit the watch properly.

  5. #5
    Grand Master SimonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    18,185
    There's nothing wrong with the watch if it is to your taste - but why call it a WWW, which has a very specific meaning? Sweep seconds instead of subdial, 24 hour scale, strange broad arrow hands - which didn't even appear on the Omega WWW, etc.

  6. #6
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    415
    If nothing else I've been forced to learn some watch history from this this thread. It seems their design is based more on the A-11 than the WWW The 24 hour track a later addition, similar to the watches from the 60's that inspired the Hamilton Khaki. I's also prefer if it wasn't there. I dodn't mind the hands, especially the broad arrow. Maybe it reminds me of a watch you would see on someone wrist in a Warlord comic but I still like it. Or maybe I just want a bonklip.

    How annoying is a screw down crown on a hand winder. I like the fact it give 100m of water resistance. Is it more a convenience issue, or is cross threading a real risk?

  7. #7
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    How annoying is a screw down crown on a hand winder. I like the fact it give 100m of water resistance. Is it more a convenience issue, or is cross threading a real risk?
    Considering for the most part you'll winding the watch on a daily basis, it isn't only an inconvenience but that's putting alot of wear and tear on the thread.

    Not a good idea on a manual wind, I'd much prefer less water resistant with non screw down crown.

    For what it's worth I quite like the watch and will be interested in what the quality of their bonklip style bracelet is like. Hope that might be available separately.

    And yes using the WWW here was a silly idea.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Spoiled it with the 24hr numbering. Shame.

    Edit: ...and a screw down crown on a manual wind. Someone needs a good talking to.
    Manual wind Rolexes had screw-down crowns. I suppose care is needed to avoid cross-threading but I find it's part of the joy of manual wind.

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    C
    For what it's worth I quite like the watch and will be interested in what the quality of their bonklip style bracelet is like. Hope that might be available separately.
    They sell their other straps separately, so good chance. If I get one, I'll write a quick review.

  10. #10
    Grand Master Carlton-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Berlin, London and sometimes Dublin
    Posts
    12,703
    I'm certainly curious about the bonklip (and what price they'll be asking). Their 20/14mm straps look alright and it's unusual to get that amount of taper - ideal for vintage watches. I think I'll pass on the actual watch though...
    Die Zeit verwandelt uns nicht, sie entfaltet uns nur.

  11. #11
    Grand Master SimonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    18,185
    The Serica Bonclip is now available for pre-order - 20mm endpieces, long or extra-long. 99 Euros. Delivery scheduled for May.










  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The Serica Bonclip is now available for pre-order - 20mm endpieces, long or extra-long. 99 Euros. Delivery scheduled for May.
    I saw that and I'm tempted, maybe to try on my Everest while I make my mind up about the Serica watch itself.

  13. #13
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    32,206
    I would like a bonklip for the forthcoming Smiths Mk11. These look good but it is too early to buy now.

  14. #14
    Master Tetlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,962
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    The Serica Bonclip is now available for pre-order - 20mm endpieces, long or extra-long. 99 Euros. Delivery scheduled for May.









    Looks good, wonder how it will compare to the cheapy ebay jobbies(of which I've owned a couple in the past), I suspect way better. Bonklips in this size are very tough to come by these days. Also no mention if they'll fit fixed bars(I suspect not looking at the pics). Something I'll probably look to try at some point in the future.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Berks
    Posts
    1,106
    Bonklip, there' something new I learnt today

  16. #16
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Charlotte, United States
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I just find this observation on their website odd: ďAnd even better, if we go bust tomorrow, no matter. Any watchmaker will be able to revise the watch and make the adjustments if needed.Ē On one level, itís a valid point that an independent would be able to repair the watch. But at the same time, it doesnít inspire confidence that the company is going to be around long term.

    Iíd be interested, but I donít want a screw down crown on a manual wind watch.
    I have this exact watch with the black dial and broad arrow hands. This is the only watch that I currently have so it is my every day watch and I love this watch. I have it on an Uncle Seiko tropical strap because I am not a nato or bracelet guy. I love winding this watch. The crown screws out smooth and I think it screws I even easier. I would rather have a sapphire crystal but the domed mineral crystal on it is really nice. I will never get rid of this one. I have been wearing this for 3 weeks straight and it has only gained a total of 5 seconds so its accurate also. Money well spent in my opinion.

  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Charlotte, United States
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    Manual wind Rolexes had screw-down crowns. I suppose care is needed to avoid cross-threading but I find it's part of the joy of manual wind.
    Finally somebody brought out a great example of a hand wound watch with a screwdown crown. When I first looked at this watch I had the very same concern about athe crown and talked with one of the owner at Serica and he pointed out the Rolex that he owned from around 1950 and it was hand wound with a screw down crown and his was original and had no issue with the threads at all. I can tell you first hand that the Sericas crown screws down as smooth as silk. I look forward to winding it every day. I will say that with a push/pull crown I would normally wind my watch twice a day but I choose to only wind the Serica once every day.

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Charlotte, United States
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I would like a bonklip for the forthcoming Smiths Mk11. These look good but it is too early to buy now.
    I just want the forthcoming Smiths Mk11, period.

  19. #19
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I have this exact watch with the black dial and broad arrow hands. This is the only watch that I currently have so it is my every day watch and I love this watch. I have it on an Uncle Seiko tropical strap because I am not a nato or bracelet guy. I love winding this watch. The crown screws out smooth and I think it screws I even easier. I would rather have a sapphire crystal but the domed mineral crystal on it is really nice. I will never get rid of this one. I have been wearing this for 3 weeks straight and it has only gained a total of 5 seconds so its accurate also. Money well spent in my opinion.
    Have you got any pics? Been looking at these, they have a very impressive website!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Charlotte, United States
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Have you got any pics? Been looking at these, they have a very impressive website!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really don't have any pictures but their web site pretty much gives you good angles. There is only one review on you tube. If you put Serica WWW in the search you will see a review from The Time Teller which gives you great overview of the watch. Don't let the screwdown crown with manual movement scare you. This watch is the real deal and I would recommend it to anyone.

  21. #21
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I really don't have any pictures
    You should dig out your phone, people want to see. :)
    Last edited by gerrudd; 3rd April 2020 at 07:48.

  22. #22
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    415
    I'm now overwhelmed by options. The LMM-01 is a very similar style watch and also has a bonklip style bracelet. Same ETA movement, but not screw down but water resistance is poorer (50M). Also has a mineral glass crystal and not sure where it is manufactured. I prefer the cleaner dial but no idea what the lume is like.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,331
    Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I have this exact watch with the black dial and broad arrow hands. This is the only watch that I currently have so it is my every day watch and I love this watch. I have it on an Uncle Seiko tropical strap because I am not a nato or bracelet guy. I love winding this watch. The crown screws out smooth and I think it screws I even easier. I would rather have a sapphire crystal but the domed mineral crystal on it is really nice. I will never get rid of this one. I have been wearing this for 3 weeks straight and it has only gained a total of 5 seconds so its accurate also. Money well spent in my opinion.
    I look forward to your review of the Timor reissue in due course, especially in comparison with your Serica. I understand that the Serica is your only watch at the moment. The good thing about that is it becomes a daily wearer by necessity and you get much better acquainted with the watch. That doesnít happen when youíve an assortment of watches and regularly flipping between them.

  24. #24
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Newcastle UK
    Posts
    310
    Lovely design, but something bugs me and I cannot work out what.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,925
    Blog Entries
    3
    I like the case, (looks like the Cyma WWW), but its a bit of a mish mash of styles. The new re-edition of the Timor WWW watch would be a better place to put my money I think.

  26. #26
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Charlotte, United States
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I like the case, (looks like the Cyma WWW), but its a bit of a mish mash of styles. The new re-edition of the Timor WWW watch would be a better place to put my money I think.
    That is great point. I have this very watch, black dial with the broad arrow hands which when I first saw it made me think of the hands on an Omega Sea Master. I also backed the Timor Heritage Field watch on Kickstarter and I am really looking forward to it.

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kent UK
    Posts
    415
    I've bought the bonklip. I'll write a review once it arrives, which probably isn't until May. I'm still in two minds about the watch.

    On a related note I contacted LMM and they informed me they are no longer making a mechanical version.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information