closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Someones Most Insulting Offer For Your Watch

Master

Someones Most Insulting Offer For Your Watch

A post on another thread about Watchfinder offering 3.75K for a 2018 Rolex GMT LN got me to thinking this could be a light hearted thread about insulting offers for our pride and joy.
    It could be from a shop or an individual on here but there must be some really great lowball stories with accompanying reasons.

I don't have any particularly humorous ones to share,though Ally did want to knock £500 off an already lowest priced Rolex once as "it was my first sale".
    My most insulting offer came from Watchcentre on a trade ,I wanted a Seadweller they had and mine was an IWC Pilot Chrono,it was still in service stickers and brand new IWC leather strap.They offered £1500 for it whilst Iconic gave me £2500 for it as a straight buy in.

So let's have your best lowballs and the lowballers reasonings for said lowball.

Blog Entries
    A fart in a jar and a bag of crisps used to be a forum favourite offer in the past 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    A fart in a jar and a bag of crisps used to be a forum favourite offer in the past 
    Bring back Dawson2K
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

I don't mind low offers, its just when people then try to tell you it is s**t that bothers me. If it is so s**t then why are you trying to buy it lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    Bring back Dawson2K
    Never had any dealings with him and he always struck me as a complete fantasist that I didn’t 100% trust. Was he a low baller? Didn’t a mobile phone deal go bad and he left to pursue breath-play?

I wonder what happened to the dubious characters like TMS or dawson that have been and gone...whether they are still into watches or whether it was a passing fad.

Sahara, would you mind pasting your sent messages here?

Craftsman
    Chronext offered £600 for an EZM13 I had.

The best one was a post from Mike Wood who had someone ask/beg him to give/gift him a vintage Rolex because Mike had so many and the asker didn't have one. ( wasn't a member her I hasten to add )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    God only knows what his opening gambit would be in these most trying of times.

Master
    Blog Entries
    £1061 for a mint full set Panerai 210. I sold it for £3000 :)

Blog Entries
    Being 'educated' on here by 2 people are my favourities.

One is a regular know it all here who knows everything about Subs and prices... he lectured me via my Inbox that in no way would I EVER get £2850 for a Rolex Submariner.

And I once got Inboxed by somebody telling me that my Baume and Mercier Capeland S XXL wouldn't see a thousand quid in this lifetime.

Someone on here offered me £1750 for my gorgeous Pelagos which was utterly mint, and this was 6 months ago, well before we were facing complete societal collapse!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Someone here offered £1200 for my 18kt Tutima Flieger
    It was on for approx £2600. The scrap value was over £2k
    I can’t remember who it was or if I replied.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A dealer offered me £3k for a deep blue, sold it to another dealer 20 mins away for £10k

A dealer offered £18k for a year old 5146. Basically they didn’t want it, they don’t have to offer what you think it’s worth but it still felt like a kick in the balls.
    I got the right price somewhere else eventually.

Master
    I was offered £3k from Laings to buy my hulk when I was buying something else from them 🤨

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Someone here offered £1200 for my 18kt Tutima Flieger
    It was on for approx £2600. The scrap value was over £2k
    I can’t remember who it was or if I replied.
    I remember when you sold this watch, so wish I had bought this - I only had about £1,200 available at the time as I recall :-)

Craftsman
    Not a lowball offer, but someone on here once wanted me to send a watch I'd listed for sale before they would make any payment!

They said something like, "can never be too careful, these days". Ah yes. OK. Surely.

A couple of months ago someone made an offer for both my Omega DSOTM and Tudor Black Bay Black. Their offer price for both was the price of my DSOTM meaning they wanted the Tudor free. Maybe £100 or so for the Tudor, I can't recall the exact amount.

I'd listed both watches at what I'd bought them for from here a few weeks earlier. Their reasoning was along the lines of "hard times but went both" and when I vented in the draft thread they were so upset I got another message to say how unfair I was being and if I had a problem I should have just said etc. They'll probably see this and send me another message. Lovely M4 by the way.

I was selling a older gold Rolex last year on here for £2.5K and was offered £1500 on the proviso it came with all three straps in the pictures?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nice one

Last year at the very height of the Market a well known London dealer told me that my 2019 No date Submariner Unworn fully stickered pieceI was Not a very sought after watch....I was looking to trade up on something Vintage that he had vastly overpriced that caught my eye..
    Last edited by SteveM112; 28th March 2020 at 08:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Last year at the very height of the Market a well known London dealer told me that my 2019 No date Submariner Unworn fully stickered pieceI was Not a very sought after watch....I was looking to trade up on something Vintage that he had vastly overpriced that caught my eye..
    Typical dealer patter.. surely it would be easier to sell that than the vintage you was looking to buy. I bet when it came to selling the nd sub ....it’s super rare .. soon to be discontinued.. much better than the sub date haha !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I was offered £3k from Laings to buy my hulk when I was buying something else from them 廊

Ouch.....

I was offered £3k from Laings to buy my hulk when I was buying something else from them 🤨
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Ouch.....
    Indeed, thing is, for every 10 offers like that they make, they may find a couple of sellers that take them up on it as they are not as immersed in our world as we are.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Not a watch but years ago I put one of my Austin-Healeys through a friend's auction where they were closing down an old car dealership with decades of memorabilia etc, where a couple of other cars were on offer, and it failed to sell. A representative of a very well known car dealer gave me his number and asked me to call him the following week to see if we could work out something. He offered me £4k. I suggested if he wanted to buy the whole car he'd need to throw in another £6k. A few days later I sold it to someone else for £10k. He wasn't interested in going higher than £4k, I assume he thought I was completely desperate.
    "A man of little significance"

A ‘dealer’ is always going to try to get a deal, that’s their way. Some of their justifications seem like outright BS at times though. If you don’t like their deal move along but you feel as if your intelligence has been insulted with some of the nonsense they come out with.

Craftsman

Laings Vultures

I was offered £3k from Laings to buy my hulk when I was buying something else from them 廊

Did something similar to me on a watch I was looking to PX, they justified the buy in price because they were able to source the model from the manufacturer at the AD rate, no matter what the market rate is. So your hulk with RRP approx £7k, they probably buy it in from Rolex at £3/4K and that is how they say to you £3k.

Typical AD/secondary dealer nonsense but a lot of sellers must fall for it every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Willows View Post
    Not a lowball offer, but someone on here once wanted me to send a watch I'd listed for sale before they would make any payment!
    That's not completely unreasonable, depending on the buyer and seller. On at least one other forum that I frequent, it's not unusual for a low-feedback/reputation seller to post first to a high-feedback/reputation buyer.

What happens here (usually) is that the buyer takes all the risk, by paying in advance of receiving the watch. Unless they are using a protected payment service (e.g. escrow, PayPal), why do you regard that as any better a system than the seller posting first?

Master
    I don't even reply to lowballers anymore on ebay.

£1100 for a big box Speedmaster on ebay

£500 for Colt chronometre on watch finder

£700 for a 2264 I think on watch finder or similar.