closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: recommendations - "trendy/fashion" watch for a 15 year old boy

Journeyman

recommendations - "trendy/fashion" watch for a 15 year old boy

Looking for a watch for my son, I'd be all over a seiko or something decent but the missus is suggesting Tommy Hilfiger or Michael Kors. It pains me to buy a rubbish watch so I'm looking for help! Is there a happy medium where one can find a fashion/youth watch that is actually any good? budget is around £200.

Master
    The worst thing you can do is to ask the grumpy old geriatrics who dominate this forum what is trendy. All you got to do is look at the junk up for sale in the SC to see the tat this lot wear.

The best thing is to make a day of it, take him out and let him chose (restrictions permitting) or let him chose online. That will really please him, a watch is person to him, only he really knows what wants today. Whatever he choses, he will have dumped it by the time he is twenty.

Bought my son a G-Shock some time ago. Didn’t wear it much, said his friends had watches with cogs and stuff.
    Get him what he wants!

G-Shock. Don't curse a 15 year old with a steel watch. It doesn't suit people that young

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Bought my son a G-Shock some time ago. Didn’t wear it much, said his friends had watches with cogs and stuff.
    Get him what he wants!
    this is true ^^ and good advice. Kind of kills the surprise though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorstuff View Post
    Looking for a watch for my son, I'd be all over a seiko or something decent but the missus is suggesting Tommy Hilfiger or Michael Kors. It pains me to buy a rubbish watch so I'm looking for help! Is there a happy medium where one can find a fashion/youth watch that is actually any good? budget is around £200.
    Not a simple task with today’s “Smart-Everything” generation:-)
    What I would do is to have some cool horology discussion with my son, talk about how cool and timeless a mechanical watch still is compared to smart watches and then see what preferences he will be inclining to.
    Next, a watch cases visit with him would probably be the final step toward buying the right model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The EJ sale had some pretty cool Seiko Tunas in muted colours.
    Like this one

Now £240. There is a green or blue version too

D

Have you asked your son what type of watch he likes? It would be a bit of a waste if you get him something completely different to what he actually wants.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Have you asked your son what type of watch he likes? It would be a bit of a waste if you get him something completely different to what he actually wants.
    +1. Also if anything like my son his reply will be.... " i can see the time on my phone, why do i need a watch"
    Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    he's had a steel watch before that he liked, a g-shock that he never wore.. so I'm thinking a sports watch with a touch of style.. not something us old'uns would necessarily wear.

Seiko have plenty of choice

I have a 15 year old nephew, he likes simple watches with nothing flashy on them

I’d have a gander via H Samuel as they have the more fashion end but with some arguably better brand names

Fashion watches are (and I’m sure he will know) just that - if he has a liking for watches, he’ll pay attention and discuss

If nipper really is a fashion fiend and wants something a lot more exclusive than the usual T.K.Maxx fodder, a Bamford Mayfair is just £350-£450 in a ton of colours.
    You can even run something up on the Customiser in has favourite colour scheme with initials and engraving for a few quid more.

Quote Originally Posted by needmorstuff View Post
    he's had a steel watch before that he liked, a g-shock that he never wore.. so I'm thinking a sports watch with a touch of style.. not something us old'uns would necessarily wear.
    What about one of those new Timex GMT style watches?

Craftsman
    Ask your lad what he wants, offer your advice, and if he takes it, great! If not, get him what he wants and let him learn all the lessons we have learned over the many years of this hobby. 🙂

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRockNRoll View Post
    Ask your lad what he wants, offer your advice, and if he takes it, great! If not, get him what he wants and let him learn all the lessons we have learned over the many years of this hobby. 
    I agree with this, I think we've all tried to buy a persent for a none watch person before and ended up with what we think is a nice watch but isn't what the person wants. Best to ask, maybe point the way but listen to what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    If nipper really is a fashion fiend and wants something a lot more exclusive than the usual T.K.Maxx fodder, a Bamford Mayfair is just £350-£450 in a ton of colours.
    You can even run something up on the Customiser in has favourite colour scheme with initials and engraving for a few quid more.

I never understand posts like this... the OP clearly stated a budget of £200, so why suggest something at double the price?

Simon

Buy him a Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Definitely get some opinions maybe show him some pictures etc and get a feel for what he likes...then go for the surprise.. my son is 15 and in Singapore last August he chose a very nice seiko 5 which I would wear myself...
    None of his friends have watches so its nice hes sort of interested..
    Make sure whatever you get him is waterproof!!!!
    Ask me how I know

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I never understand posts like this... the OP clearly stated a budget of £200, so why suggest something at double the price?

Simon
    I don't understand posts like this, whining about it. OP can ignore the stuff he doesn't like without your threadcrapping.

Craftsman
    Gshock..... casioak

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

G-Shock Gorillaz?

Master
    Anything by MVMT, Hugo Boss, Fossil, T W Steel, Daniel Wellington, Diesel.

Or an Invicta Pro Diver to kindle a love of fine timepieces...

Last edited by J J Carter; 28th March 2020 at 11:55.

Master
    I just can't help thinking that the OP is asking precisely the wrong people about this! No-one here has the faintest idea what's fashionable amongst the non-WIS young, and we'd all be appalled at whatever is trendy!
    Ask the lad himself! And buy something that isn't totally fragile.