closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko 9F Service Intervals

Grand Seiko 9F Service Intervals

Having recently picked up a lovely GS GMT Quartz I cannot seem to find any information on the recommend frequency of servicing the 9F movement.

I see the battery will need changing every 3 years or so but it seem unclear on servicing.

Also when a service is carried out is the watch returned with a warranty like say Rolex.

Journeyman
    Keep looking at an SBGN003, so I was curious about this myself. Anyways....Every three to four years according to the manual. How many people will follow that is minimal I’d say, especially with the oft touted nonsense of 50 years. I’d say they’re robust enough though.

I would be interested in the quartz service charge, as I can’t find it online

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot see any mention of GS on the attached.

The 50 years was a theoretical claim by one of Seiko's top bods a long time ago. I think his point was that the unit is sealed away from the battery slot so nothing gets in or out during battery changes, hence it shoudn't need servicing very frequently.

Personally, I'd be happy to service every 15 years if it was still running OK.

“Price on application” for GS

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I speak to someone at Seiko customer services who confirmed a GS 9F battery change is £59 + postage and a service is £239 + postage. I forget to ask if a battery change included new seals and water testing but it seems responsible enough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    the oft touted nonsense of 50 years
    ^ It's certainly correct that a 50-year interval is not part of the Seiko movement specification. However, I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a 9F reaching that timeframe. I'm far from the only person to be enjoying an ETA-equipped quartz watch that's performing significantly within spec having aged into its second quarter-century without service. Those movements don't have sealed drive cabins, or 50-year oils. Might a 9F run 20-30% longer than one of these? Couldn't call it "nonsense" just yet :)