closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Working your way up to your grail watch!

Journeyman

Working your way up to your grail watch!

Many of us have a grail watch; we also have our different ways of working towards them. I’m intrigued to know what ways folk plan to achieve their grail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save up and then buy it.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Save up and then buy it.
    That is one way! Not everyone can hold off buying other things first though

I’ve never really had grail watches. If they take that long to save for, I probably could do better things with the money. So all my watches tend to be pieces that could be bought with one months pay check.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I’ve never really had grail watches. If they take that long to save for, I probably could do better things with the money. So all my watches tend to be pieces that could be bought with one months pay check.
    Fair enough, I get that.

Apprentice
    I've always though the best way was to a piece you like and sell/trade it against more expensive models when you have the extra cash.

Craftsman
    I've never had a GrailWatch desire.
    But if i did, then i would start with a similar cheaper watch and save up, rather than do lots of swaps on the way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A grail to me isn’t a watch that’s expensive, it’s one that’s hard to find, (which in turn does make them generally costly!).
    I was lucky enough to track mine down a few years ago. It was done by asking the right people, having (I hope) a pretty good standing in the watch world, something built over many years of not being an arse, and most of all, patience!

Never have grail anything. It is always a disappointment when you get it.

Just look at how many high end watches on this forum that look like they were never worn for a day.

That's because they never did wear them lol.

They are too expensive for everyday use as an actual watch.

Can’t decide if I’d have a few watches that I like and can wear in rotation or one ‘grail’ watch that I wear all the time!

We have used the term grail a lot, one that was originally used in the watch sense by the late Chuck Maddox.
    He used the term for his Grail Speedie, as he had so many misadventures in trying to find and obtain a good example (missing an auction, sales being cancelled, ones getting lost in transit etc etc) that the whole thing felt like a "Grail Quest".

Anyhow, the term was coined to explain a process that involved something difficult, finding something that was near impossible to find.

It was not a term coined just in the sense of spending more money than you are used to, or getting your name on a waiting list (though until recently that did have an element of misadventure).

My grail was the Tutima ZUZ. It wasn't insanely expensive in the end, but it took a long time to identify what it was, find one (like buses, I got two in the end). The proces was posted about HERE

I can add that a grail is a good thing. That post dates from 2012, and I still have my Tutima ZUZ. It and my EZM1 are the two watches that mostly completely encapsulate my watch collecting. I am keeping both.

Both were bought used, so I have no issue wearing them.

Grails are not just things that come direct from ADs in impossibly posh boxes.

D

Identify your “grail watch”.

Do lots of homework to ensure you know every detail about your “grail watch”, so can buy exactly the right one.

Try to locate “grail watch” - true “grails” typically tend to be quite rare and are not readily available. (Be patient, it took me 3 years to find one of my grails).

Once located, try on “grail watch” - you never know you might hate it or find it uncomfortable.

If you still love it, part with the money you saved during your quest.

Upon buying it takes lots of pictures and post them in Watch Talk.

Optional actions.

Hit the repeat button and searching for next “Grail”.

Sell grail once bored with it, or need the money for other things (inc new grail).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I have a very tried and tested policy for buying anything that is grail.

1. Save up for it.

2. Buy it.

3. Keep it.

Dead easy really.

There are many watches I like. When I like one enough I buy it, and keep it.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    From my experience - once grail is attained a new grail "magically" appears.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    We have used the term grail a lot, one that was originally used in the watch sense by the late Chuck Maddox.
    He used the term for his Grail Speedie, as he had so many misadventures in trying to find and obtain a good example (missing an auction, sales being cancelled, ones getting lost in transit etc etc) that the whole thing felt like a "Grail Quest".

Anyhow, the term was coined to explain a process that involved something difficult, finding something that was near impossible to find.

It was not a term coined just in the sense of spending more money than you are used to, or getting your name on a waiting list (though until recently that did have an element of misadventure).

My grail was the Tutima ZUZ. It wasn't insanely expensive in the end, but it took a long time to identify what it was, find one (like buses, I got two in the end). The proces was posted about HERE

I can add that a grail is a good thing. That post dates from 2012, and I still have my Tutima ZUZ. It and my EZM1 are the two watches that mostly completely encapsulate my watch collecting. I am keeping both.

Both were bought used, so I have no issue wearing them.

Grails are not just things that come direct from ADs in impossibly posh boxes.

D
    Wow. That Tutima story was quite a ride!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    From my experience - once grail is attained a new grail "magically" appears.
    Haha are you my wife? That’s almost straight out of her mouth.

Master
    All grails are false grails.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My grail watch is a day date and the one currently listed in the SC is so tempting. Only thing stopping me is I really want one with the new style roman numerals that they have on the current versions

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Upon buying it takes lots of pictures and post them in Watch Talk.

Optional actions.

Hit the repeat button and searching for next “Grail”.

Sell grail once bored with it, or need the money for other things (inc new grail).
    Pretty much sums it up. A grail is only a grail when you really really want it and are hunting high and low for it. As soon as you own it, it's just another watch.

Consolidation is another false God. If I sell these 10 watches I can buy one quality watch - so you do. Then you look at it and think if I sell this I can buy 10 lesser watches and have more variety and choice.

Craftsman
    I put 15% down then got a loan for the remainder at 2.9%. The watch is worth more than what I paid for it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    I put 15% down then got a loan for the remainder at 2.9%. The watch is worth more than what I paid for it anyway

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Smart way to do a hobby.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Pretty much sums it up. A grail is only a grail when you really really want it and are hunting high and low for it. As soon as you own it, it's just another watch.

Consolidation is another false God. If I sell these 10 watches I can buy one quality watch - so you do. Then you look at it and think if I sell this I can buy 10 lesser watches and have more variety and choice.
    Aah, the voice of experience, Ken

Simon

I have never had a grail - at least, not in the sense of one ultimate purchase that would cause me to stop collecting.

Instead, over the last 15 years I’ve pursued a number of key objectives.

Example; I always wanted an orange dial dive watch, and decided that the ultimate for me would be a Doxa. I started with an Orange Monster, sold that and bought an orange-dialled Mako XL, finally sold that when I could buy a Doxa Sub 1500t. Job done.

My problem is that loving variety leads me to have quite a lot of those key objectives... which is probably why I own 18 watches ...

Simon

Blog Entries
    Every watch I buy is my grail watch.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    The moment I find my new ‘must have’ I seem to set my sights on something else....it’s a constant process!

Also, typically a week or so after selling a watch I feel I don’t like/want to wear the regret starts....can’t win!
    Last edited by Mikelancs; 28th March 2020 at 08:43.

Master
    I am the same, at one point i had enough cash to buy one amazing watch, but I could not bring myself to it. I had really wanted a LV, but could not justify that money on one watch, besides I enjoy buying and selling too much!