closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Working your way up to your grail watch!

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    72

    Working your way up to your grail watch!

    Many of us have a grail watch; we also have our different ways of working towards them. Iím intrigued to know what ways folk plan to achieve their grail.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Grand Master Mr Curta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Mainly UK
    Posts
    11,007
    Save up and then buy it.
    Don't Panic

  3. #3
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Save up and then buy it.
    That is one way! Not everyone can hold off buying other things first though


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Master Christian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,356
    Iíve never really had grail watches. If they take that long to save for, I probably could do better things with the money. So all my watches tend to be pieces that could be bought with one months pay check.

  5. #5
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Iíve never really had grail watches. If they take that long to save for, I probably could do better things with the money. So all my watches tend to be pieces that could be bought with one months pay check.
    Fair enough, I get that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    25
    I've always though the best way was to a piece you like and sell/trade it against more expensive models when you have the extra cash.

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    High Wycombe UK
    Posts
    267
    I've never had a GrailWatch desire.
    But if i did, then i would start with a similar cheaper watch and save up, rather than do lots of swaps on the way.

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,925
    Blog Entries
    3
    A grail to me isnít a watch thatís expensive, itís one thatís hard to find, (which in turn does make them generally costly!).
    I was lucky enough to track mine down a few years ago. It was done by asking the right people, having (I hope) a pretty good standing in the watch world, something built over many years of not being an arse, and most of all, patience!

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    swansea uk
    Posts
    803
    Never have grail anything. It is always a disappointment when you get it.

    Just look at how many high end watches on this forum that look like they were never worn for a day.

    That's because they never did wear them lol.

    They are too expensive for everyday use as an actual watch.

  10. #10
    Canít decide if Iíd have a few watches that I like and can wear in rotation or one Ďgrailí watch that I wear all the time!

  11. #11
    Master sweets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bristol - UK
    Posts
    4,259
    We have used the term grail a lot, one that was originally used in the watch sense by the late Chuck Maddox.
    He used the term for his Grail Speedie, as he had so many misadventures in trying to find and obtain a good example (missing an auction, sales being cancelled, ones getting lost in transit etc etc) that the whole thing felt like a "Grail Quest".

    Anyhow, the term was coined to explain a process that involved something difficult, finding something that was near impossible to find.

    It was not a term coined just in the sense of spending more money than you are used to, or getting your name on a waiting list (though until recently that did have an element of misadventure).

    My grail was the Tutima ZUZ. It wasn't insanely expensive in the end, but it took a long time to identify what it was, find one (like buses, I got two in the end). The proces was posted about HERE

    I can add that a grail is a good thing. That post dates from 2012, and I still have my Tutima ZUZ. It and my EZM1 are the two watches that mostly completely encapsulate my watch collecting. I am keeping both.

    Both were bought used, so I have no issue wearing them.

    Grails are not just things that come direct from ADs in impossibly posh boxes.

    D

  12. #12
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    23,637
    Identify your “grail watch”.

    Do lots of homework to ensure you know every detail about your “grail watch”, so can buy exactly the right one.

    Try to locate “grail watch” - true “grails” typically tend to be quite rare and are not readily available. (Be patient, it took me 3 years to find one of my grails).

    Once located, try on “grail watch” - you never know you might hate it or find it uncomfortable.

    If you still love it, part with the money you saved during your quest.

    Upon buying it takes lots of pictures and post them in Watch Talk.

    Optional actions.

    Hit the repeat button and searching for next “Grail”.

    Sell grail once bored with it, or need the money for other things (inc new grail).

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,953
    I have a very tried and tested policy for buying anything that is grail.

    1. Save up for it.

    2. Buy it.

    3. Keep it.

    Dead easy really.

  14. #14
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    32,621
    There are many watches I like. When I like one enough I buy it, and keep it.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    End of the world
    Posts
    3,032
    Blog Entries
    1
    From my experience - once grail is attained a new grail "magically" appears.

  16. #16
    Craftsman 50kopek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Hague, Netherlands
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    We have used the term grail a lot, one that was originally used in the watch sense by the late Chuck Maddox.
    He used the term for his Grail Speedie, as he had so many misadventures in trying to find and obtain a good example (missing an auction, sales being cancelled, ones getting lost in transit etc etc) that the whole thing felt like a "Grail Quest".

    Anyhow, the term was coined to explain a process that involved something difficult, finding something that was near impossible to find.

    It was not a term coined just in the sense of spending more money than you are used to, or getting your name on a waiting list (though until recently that did have an element of misadventure).

    My grail was the Tutima ZUZ. It wasn't insanely expensive in the end, but it took a long time to identify what it was, find one (like buses, I got two in the end). The proces was posted about HERE

    I can add that a grail is a good thing. That post dates from 2012, and I still have my Tutima ZUZ. It and my EZM1 are the two watches that mostly completely encapsulate my watch collecting. I am keeping both.

    Both were bought used, so I have no issue wearing them.

    Grails are not just things that come direct from ADs in impossibly posh boxes.

    D
    Wow. That Tutima story was quite a ride!

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    From my experience - once grail is attained a new grail "magically" appears.
    Haha are you my wife? Thatís almost straight out of her mouth.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,703
    All grails are false grails.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    188
    My grail watch is a day date and the one currently listed in the SC is so tempting. Only thing stopping me is I really want one with the new style roman numerals that they have on the current versions

    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    10,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Upon buying it takes lots of pictures and post them in Watch Talk.

    Optional actions.

    Hit the repeat button and searching for next ďGrailĒ.

    Sell grail once bored with it, or need the money for other things (inc new grail).
    Pretty much sums it up. A grail is only a grail when you really really want it and are hunting high and low for it. As soon as you own it, it's just another watch.

    Consolidation is another false God. If I sell these 10 watches I can buy one quality watch - so you do. Then you look at it and think if I sell this I can buy 10 lesser watches and have more variety and choice.

  21. #21
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    cardiff
    Posts
    218
    I put 15% down then got a loan for the remainder at 2.9%. The watch is worth more than what I paid for it anyway


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,703
    Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
    I put 15% down then got a loan for the remainder at 2.9%. The watch is worth more than what I paid for it anyway


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Smart way to do a hobby.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Craftsman Curtis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Petersfield UK
    Posts
    379
    Once you get your grail it's only a matter of time before you want your next fix!

    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

  24. #24
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Pretty much sums it up. A grail is only a grail when you really really want it and are hunting high and low for it. As soon as you own it, it's just another watch.

    Consolidation is another false God. If I sell these 10 watches I can buy one quality watch - so you do. Then you look at it and think if I sell this I can buy 10 lesser watches and have more variety and choice.
    Aah, the voice of experience, Ken

    Simon

  25. #25
    Master mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,144
    I have never had a grail - at least, not in the sense of one ultimate purchase that would cause me to stop collecting.

    Instead, over the last 15 years Iíve pursued a number of key objectives.

    Example; I always wanted an orange dial dive watch, and decided that the ultimate for me would be a Doxa. I started with an Orange Monster, sold that and bought an orange-dialled Mako XL, finally sold that when I could buy a Doxa Sub 1500t. Job done.

    My problem is that loving variety leads me to have quite a lot of those key objectives... which is probably why I own 18 watches ...

    Simon

  26. #26
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    15,288
    Every watch I buy is my grail watch.
    Cuidich 'n Righ

  27. #27
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    60
    The moment I find my new ‘must have’ I seem to set my sights on something else....it’s a constant process!

    Also, typically a week or so after selling a watch I feel I don’t like/want to wear the regret starts....can’t win!
    Last edited by Mikelancs; 28th March 2020 at 08:43.

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    273
    I am the same, at one point i had enough cash to buy one amazing watch, but I could not bring myself to it. I had really wanted a LV, but could not justify that money on one watch, besides I enjoy buying and selling too much!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information