closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Solar shed light Vs using a torch

Solar shed light Vs using a torch

Hi, has anyone tried a small solar panel and battery set up for shed lighting? My shed is at the bottom of the garden and it has never seemed worth it to dig a trench to run a proper cable to it.

For a while I've been wondering if I could fit a 12v solar system for light and power. I believe if need a panel, a change controller and a leisure type lead acid battery. Is it realistic to get a £50 system that could do that? I envision using it for ten minutes to find stuff in the dark it wintery twilight, not providing light for long periods. Possibly running a radio from time to time but no kettles or power tools.

Any experience of doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Hi, has anyone tried a small solar panel and battery set up for shed lighting? My shed is at the bottom of the garden and it has never seemed worth it to dig a trench to run a proper cable to it.

For a while I've been wondering if I could fit a 12v solar system for light and power. I believe if need a panel, a change controller and a leisure type lead acid battery. Is it realistic to get a £50 system that could do that? I envision using it for ten minutes to find stuff in the dark it wintery twilight, not providing light for long periods. Possibly running a radio from time to time but no kettles or power tools.

Any experience of doing this?

Yes. I have a solar light in the shed and it’s fine. Something like this will do the trick. The light will come on when you enter the shed. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20LED-Sol...4AAOSwNpdct~S2

You could cobble together a battery, lights, panel, switch and extra connectors, but not for £50.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks very much.

I have one in my shed that I think I bought from Lidl for about£20 - solar panel is about 6 inches square and it’s not in direct sunlight but works a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I have one in my shed that I think I bought from Lidl for about£20 - solar panel is about 6 inches square and it’s not in direct sunlight but works a treat

Is it similar to the one Andyg suggests? Solar panel with lithium battery?

It must be half the size of that actually but surprisingly does the job. Annoying as Aldi etc often do these as a one off and you never see them again!