closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribbean prototypes

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    That's some watch, really looking forward to the Smiths version.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    Awesome, it's crazy to see those smaller vintage ones (27mm + 32mm)...

Any chance you might do something like that yourself in future for the ladies?

If ten were made he'd probably not sell them all , waste of time making ladies watches.

Hi all and Eddie,

Have referenced this forum a handful of times in the past year but once I stumbled onto this Caribbean model, I just had to join :) Been completely infatuated with the Caribbean-style divers, in fact just picked up a yellow bakelite bezel/scotchlite yellow dial Candino and as much as I love it, wish I had found these Time Factor's Smith's a month ago! That being said, I'll likely have to grab an orange Smith's as well. Really great to see someone bringing this concept back to life with such a lovely overall aesthetic, functionality and value.

Eddie, what's the best way to stay up-to-date on availability for order? I've signed up to the TF mailing list already in any case.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing these go live!
    Last edited by purplecat; 29th May 2020 at 06:19.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecat View Post
    Hi all and Eddie,

Have referenced this forum a handful of times in the past year but once I stumbled onto this Caribbean model, I just had to join :) Been completely infatuated with the Caribbean-style divers, in fact just picked up a yellow bakelite bezel/scotchlite yellow dial Candino and as much as I love it, wish I had found these Time Factor's Smith's a month ago! That being said, I'll likely have to grab an orange Smith's as well. Really great to see someone bringing this concept back to life with such a lovely overall aesthetic, functionality and value.

Eddie, what's the best way to stay up-to-date on availability for order? I've signed up to the TF mailing list already in any case.

P.S. In the unlikely scenario that you accept payment in the form of free accommodation on a 5-million year old tectonic lake that's home to the largest colony of Dalmation Pelicans in the world, including a boat trip to 'Snake Island' that is the site of rather dilapidated 2nd century Roman ruins and a 12th century Monastery, followed by a visit to a hidden bunker believed to have been built as a precaution for Yugoslav President Tito back on the mainland, etc, etc - then I'll take a 2nd watch in true yellow as well. No, blue. No... all of them. I'll take them all. Please don't blame me for trying, blame the addictive drug called 'a wristwatch'

Anyway, looking forward to seeing these go live!
    Welcome to the forum,

The mailinglist is the way to go, Eddie will notify you when these are going up for sale.
    But keep a keen eye on this thread as well, every now and then Eddie drops some vital information ;)
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Welcome to the forum,

The mailinglist is the way to go, Eddie will notify you when these are going up for sale.
    But keep a keen eye on this thread as well, every now and then Eddie drops some vital information ;)
    Double thanks, in that case I'll give my refresh finger a good stretch before his upcoming marathon

Sent from my RNE-L21 using Tapatalk

Looking forward to getting one of these!

Late to this but think these look glorious. Much as I like the bold colours the black/black looks very classy indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Late to this but think these look glorious. Much as I like the bold colours the black/black looks very classy indeed.
    Actually, having said that, I'm beginning to fall for the blue too. And the yellow, if it were more yellow.
    Damn it.

Actually, having said that, I'm beginning to fall for the blue too. And the yellow, if it were more yellow.
    Damn it.
    I feel your pain.

I've been clicking 'refresh' on this thread a couple times a day.. every day. I can't be the only one..

Is there any indication when these will be available to purchase? As in, are they likely within the next few weeks for example, or is it more like next few months?
    I’m really liking these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrennie44 View Post
    Is there any indication when these will be available to purchase? As in, are they likely within the next few weeks for example, or is it more like next few months?
    I’m really liking these!

It's not imminent, the Baby range of the Willard, Speedbird and Dreadnought are all on order and that's going to be a big chunk of cash to find when they're ready. I've got to plan release dates of future models so I don't over-extend.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

It's not imminent, the Baby range of the Willard, Speedbird and Dreadnought are all on order and that's going to be a big chunk of cash to find when they're ready. I've got to plan release dates of future models so I don't over-extend.

Eddie
    Great stuff, thanks for the clarification Eddie.
    Gives me plenty of time to decide which colour to get!

Appreciate you can't be exact Eddie but would you expect these to be available this year, or this more likely a 2021 job? Just trying to plan....

Appreciate you can't be exact Eddie but would you expect these to be available this year, or this more likely a 2021 job? Just trying to plan....
    The "Baby" range is due in July, the Everests are due back in stock in August and the Navigator probably October. Autumn/winter is not a good time to launch a diver.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The "Baby" range is due in July, the Everests are due back in stock in August and the Navigator probably October. Autumn/winter is not a good time to launch a diver.

Eddie

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie. Probably good news for my wallet, but more importantly something to look forward to for 2021.

That's a shame, I thought this project got a very positive repsonse, and yet it is postponed into next summer (?) in favour of other designs that came much later with very little forum feedback.
    Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    That's a shame, I thought this project got a very positive repsonse, and yet it is postponed into next summer (?) in favour of other designs that came much later with very little forum feedback.

Oh well.
    Other designs which had mega forum feedback.

Eddie

Eddie
    Oh, okay, just me then.

Master
    Oh well.
    Probably the designs that were not so large that they alienated the majority of the potential user base.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Probably the designs that were not so large that they alienated the majority of the potential user base.
    The Caribbean is 40mm diameter, is that "so large that they alienated the majority of the potential user base"?
    Surely not

The Caribbean is 40mm diameter, is that "so large that they alienated the majority of the potential user base"?
    Surely not
    Possibly so, I made a remark on the 'baby' thread that at 38mm the baby Dreadnought looks too small. But clearly Eddie is seeing a demand for sub 40mm, and in the 36-38mm range. Just look at the Everest demand when he down sized.

Frankly for my dive watches, I like a bit of size and heft. 40mm as an absolute minimum. I hope we see this watch next year, it looks great and I've always Eddie's track record in dive watches is top, top notch.

Apprentice
    Surely not
    I think the 15mm thickness has more to do with it than the diameter. I personally don’t mind, but you scroll back and see the whiners in this tread.

Oh, okay, just me then.
    No, you're not alone. Real shame and disappointing. Ho hum. Spend the money on something else, I shall.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Yep I am disappointed as well as I had hoped it would be my next purchase
    I guess we have to wait.
    The smaller versions of the existing watches do nothing for me unfortunately.

Surely not
    I thought 40mm was in keeping with the Caribbean of old.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I know I'm relatively new here (well not that new but new as a regular poster) but I'm surprised by some of the grumbling. I'm not sure many (any?) other watch-makers preview things to their customer base and then engage with them in the development. I think it's great to have the early heads-up and to be able to offer thoughts. Not everyone can have what they want when they want it. I'd love a Caribbean too but can it not just be a nice thing to look forward to next year?
    Also, it's a dive watch. It's for, well, diving. I do dive, a lot, and a dive watch under 40mm is like a dive watch with no water resistance - pointless. Surely if you don't want a larger watch you shouldn't be trying to buy one which is designed to work and be read at depths underwater?

The thing is, it was well received, and was a good thing to look forward to next year. But that was when it was first drawn and presented, in time for release last summer.
    I can remember posting that I was looking forward to the Caribbean being my summer watch of 2019.
    Then it was going to be the summer watch of 2020.
    Now it may be released in 2021, even though the prototypes have been shown, and at the moment that seems to be an indicator that it may be released in a few months.
    So it is clear that this project has been put on the back burner.
    I find that disappointing, and the pleasingly unique thing about this forum is the ability to be able to say so, directly, without getting banned or shouted at.
    I am not in the market for the baby versions either, so I shall have to wait.
    D

Master
    Love the blue one. Is this a case of when they are released they sell out and are impossible to get?

Craftsman
    Black one for me please. The bracelet looks nice.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I find that disappointing, and the pleasingly unique thing about this forum is the ability to be able to say so, directly, without getting banned or shouted at.
    D
    Very true, and a fair point.

Eddie
    Assuming this implies that forum feedback has an impact on business decisions - colour me surprised. In a different walk-of-life, learning that forum feedback bore little relation to what people actually spent money on was an expensively-learned lesson!

To be fair, watch people seem a little less something-for-nothing in their attitudes...

The Caribbean is still going ahead, just not now. As some of you will know, I sold Ollech & Wajs watches for a few years and sold many new old stock Caribbeans. I kept one for myself and the one I will be releasing is a 100% faithful reproduction except for the movement and sapphire crystal. At one time it was being advertised as the official Vietnam war diver's watch; I asked Albert Wajs about this and he said "I sold a few to a military dive club once". I don't expect anyone to use it for anything but recreational diving but I did want to make a faithful reproduction capable of 1000 metres. Who dives to 1000 metres? Who tests a Rolex Submariner to its limits? Who buys a car capable of 200mph when we have a national speed limit of 70mph? It's a guy thing.

Eddie

I think the Vietnam Divers thing came from the adverts in the back of ‘Stars and Stripes’ they sold them via mail order. O&W were a mail order business. How many they sold is anyone’s guess.
    I am glad it will be an authentic representation of the originals. I am looking forward to it and will be buying one. (Two)
    Do you plan to offer all the colours or will you concentrate on a smaller number of options?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I think the Vietnam Divers thing came from the adverts in the back of ‘Stars and Stripes’ they sold them via mail order. O&W were a mail order business. How many they sold is anyone’s guess.
    I am glad it will be an authentic representation of the originals. I am looking forward to it and will be buying one. (Two)
    Do you plan to offer all the colours or will you concentrate on a smaller number of options?
    I'll offer all the colours but the yellow and orange will change to be more yellow and orange.

Eddie

"... is still going ahead".

Enough said.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Have I missed which movement is in these?

I'll offer all the colours but the yellow and orange will change to be more yellow and orange.

Eddie
    Great news.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Have I missed which movement is in these?

Miyota 9015 I think

Craftsman
    Hoping one of these will be my next purchase of one of Eddie's watches. Had (and sold) a Seafire and a PRS-82 in the past, but one of these would be a keeper.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Disponible

Consulta !? Cuando estará disponible a la venta el Caribean

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elio Canda View Post
    Consulta !? Cuando estará disponible a la venta el Caribean
    La última estimación es la próxima primavera.

Journeyman
    Roll on next year - already saving my pennies....once the Caribbean done with whats next on the vintage diver list? A F-L Deep Blue style?

These look awesome, loving the blue.
    Definitely on my wish list.

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 9 using Tapatalk

Hi Eddie

Just wondered if there was an update to the Caribbean.?

I've got money burning a hole in my pocket :-)

Thanks
    deano

Apprentice

Release

Thought I read recently, on another thread, May/June timeframe for release.

Have you decided on a color ?

Quote Originally Posted by f1prb22 View Post
    Thought I read recently, on another thread, May/June timeframe for release.
    Yes, that was target date mentioned in another thread - No guarantees, of course, especially in these times...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Chaged the yellow, changed the orange and changed the logo on the crown.

Eddie

That is a great range, should keep everyone happy.
    I think it is the yellow for me, such a sunny, happy colour (in contrast to the rest of my collection's dials).

I take it that there will not be another round of prototypes to check the new colours, this will go straight to production?
    I can see no other changes, apart from perhaps the bezel font being a little thicker, and maybe a higher dome crystal?

To clarify, the captions indicate polished black indices and hands on the yellow and orange dials. Is that the case, in preference to silver? The original prototypes looked silver?

Dave

Love the logo on the crown!