closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caribbean prototypes

You won’t get to know until they’re released which is both odd and frustrating but always the case. However even with Eddie’s very fair pricing I’d expect this to be north of a grand considering the price of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    Given the depth rating etc, how much we talking for one of these? Sub £800?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    A prototype is an early sample, model, or release of a product built to test a concept or process. ... A prototype is generally used to evaluate a new design to enhance precision by system analysts and users. Prototyping serves to provide specifications for a real, working system rather than a theoretical one.

Eddie
    Eddie I love Your reply was it made through gritted teeth-)!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You won’t get to know until they’re released which is both odd and frustrating but always the case. However even with Eddie’s very fair pricing I’d expect this to be north of a grand considering the price of the competition.
    It certainly won't be north of a grand, it will be closer to half that (but probably not half that).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Is that representative of the amount of text on the dial?

I think I saw a rendition with less text ( I prefer it as per this prototype).

Ta

Bloody hell Eddie that's for nowt!

Thanks for the insight too ;)

It certainly won't be north of a grand, it will be closer to half that (but probably not half that).

Eddie

I’ll have two then :)

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Eddie I love Your reply was it made through gritted teeth-)!
    He's a hard 'task master', but for some reason we still like old grumpy, It's probably because we're both from Sheffield.

- - - Updated - - -

Eddie
    Blooming heck, where do I sign?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    Saw these on facebook, I am all over the yellow one when this gets released.

Very nice.

Agree that the yellow looks like orange should look. The orange is too red.

A Steel bezel or steel-coloured bezel insert would look good on the yellow-orange.

Journeyman
    Funny how opinions vary! I'm not really an orange watch fan but I think this one is just the right reddy orange to stand out, and the yellow just the right orangey-yellow to be a winner - great that they are a little different to everyone else. Especially like the bezel colours - got a real bakelite look to them. Price seems more than fair for the style and 1000m.

For those that don't like the thicker case perhaps a Super Submarino version next...
    Last edited by Drumcairn; 28th March 2020 at 16:37.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Loving the bright orange in the third picture.

Eddie
    A classy touch.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Those watches look lovely. I agree that the yellow is a bit too orange. As for the orange not my taste but it has a lot of impact, much like the Doxas. The yellow dial with blue bezel gets my vote.

Being a bit picky the hour hand looks a tad too wide compared to the minute hand, otherwise they're smashing, well done Eddie.

I wonder, Eddie, have you considered misspelling “Caribbean” on the dial?

This one for me. Classic, simple, understated and on a Tropic strap.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Really, really nice. The blue one especially.

Super looking watch! I particularly like the h&m hands and the bezel. Black one to me looks the best.
    Looks like I'll have to bust into my savings 
    Last edited by Rod; 29th March 2020 at 13:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Super looking watch! I particularly like the h&m hands and the bezel. Black one to me looks the best.
    Looks like I'll have to bust into my savings 
    I'm with you Rod... I love the simple black offering.... Would look great on a multitude of Nato's

Like others - I am surprised with the estimated cost and will certainly be cracking open the piggy bank

great stuff Eddie

Mike

Journeyman
    These are bloody lovely.

I'm in agreement with others. The yellow is perfect for the orange option and the yellow obviously needs to be more yellow. I'd definitely buy an orange one.

Really looking forward to these - could be the diver I’ve always wanted in my collection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black on black is a very handsome watch.

I especially like the Bezel.

Another winner, Eddie!

M

Craftsman
    The 'yellow' prototype is the perfect orange. Is the red (orange) needed?

The SmithS logo is starting to get near the military GS DeLuxe that one day Eddie might make....maybe?

Pity about a date window for me personally but what a bloody great watch, one that I can see getting even better with age and a bit of patina and loads of dings.

Good to see that it has the "booby" logo.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Hello

Is that representative of the amount of text on the dial?

I think I saw a rendition with less text ( I prefer it as per this prototype).

Ta

Blog Entries
    U wot m8?
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Apprentice
    Yep think the blue one is lovely

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I may have missed it, but is there a reason they're all GMT bezel?

This will come out around the time I’ll be looking for something new and I need to decide between this and Baltic diver. Today....the Smiths is winning.

This will come out around the time I’ll be looking for something new.
    It’s coming out next week then is it? 😂

This will come out around the time I’ll be looking for something new and I need to decide between this and Baltic diver. Today....the Smiths is winning.
    I’d say get the Caribbean. I have been informed by an owner that QC was an issue and I think they are on their 3rd model. The Baltic’s look the business but by the sounds of it stay clear. You might get an ok one, but I think it’s a case of style of substance. Obviously I don’t know what the Caribbean will go for but like most TF watches you will be getting wayyy more ‘bang for your buck’! I was thinking of getting a Baltic- not any more!!

When I said they, I meant the owner was on his third watch.

That’s really helpful, thanks

When I said they, I meant the owner was on his third watch.

I’d say get the Caribbean. I have been informed by an owner that QC was an issue and I think they are on their 3rd model. The Baltic’s look the business but by the sounds of it stay clear. You might get an ok one, but I think it’s a case of style of substance. Obviously I don’t know what the Caribbean will go for but like most TF watches you will be getting wayyy more ‘bang for your buck’! I was thinking of getting a Baltic- not any more!!

I'm surprised to hear this. I own one of their HMS001 3 handers, admittedly not their dive watch, though it's one being considered, for the money the HMS 001 is a really well designed and constructed watch, overall a very pleasing timepiece, assembled in France, regulated... mine keeps under 10 secs per day and the customer service and response to questions has been exemplary. I'm 4 months into owning mine and it's still a delight, I have the cream dialled model with blued hands, the delicacy and fine ness of the handset is such that in certain lights and from some angles the handset has an entrancing glass like appearance, their case design also has a wonderfully balanced feel and look.
    Last edited by Passenger; 12th April 2020 at 10:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I wonder, Eddie, have you considered misspelling “Caribbean” on the dial?
    What does this even mean?

Eddie

What does this even mean?

Eddie
    Doxa managed to misspell Caribbean on some dials (as Carribbean).

I'm assuming that's the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Doxa managed to misspell Caribbean on some dials (as Carribbean).

I'm assuming that's the reference.
    I see, wonderful :D

Eddie

Apprentice

Any idea what the QC issue was? This is the first I've heard of QC issues, so I'm curious. I received my Aquascaphe last summer, and it's been getting tons of wrist time. I haven't had any issues, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of the movement; after 3 weeks of continuous wear, it was only off by 7 seconds. I guess if I'm being SUPER nit-picky, the alignment between dial and bezel appears to be off just a smidge in certain positions, but no more than any of my other divers. :dontknow:

Aside from having a vintage influence (and potentially similar price point), they're VERY different watches IMO. The Aquascaphe is smaller and significantly thinner, has a sandwich dial but no applied markers, no date, and the lume is total crap. And being all brushed metal and matte dial, it's quite literally dull when compared to the shiny Caribbean. I agree that you'll probably get more bang for the buck with the Caribbean, but it really comes down to personal taste: do you want something chunky and a little flash, or something a little more subtle? Or just do like I plan to: sell your other watches that don't get much wrist time and buy the Aquascaphe *and* the Caribbean :)

Apprentice
    I would usually gravitate towards a black dial but that blue one is a right bobby-dazzler! Also when I think of a Caribbean of old I see a blue dial.

The thickness is what I'd expect from a 1000m diver so not a problem at all. The current Doxa 200m Sub is 14mm thick and the 1500m is 16mm so Eddie's seems spot on. I love the hands and the bezel markers. I have a feeling this will be one of your best ever sellers Eddie - top job :)
    Something like this? Yeah, the blue one is what I'm leaning towards too.

Beautiful the blue and orange ones..
    Need to save some eur for them :)

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by yagmot View Post
    Any idea what the QC issue was? This is the first I've heard of QC issues, so I'm curious. I received my Aquascaphe last summer, and it's been getting tons of wrist time. I haven't had any issues, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of the movement; after 3 weeks of continuous wear, it was only off by 7 seconds. I guess if I'm being SUPER nit-picky, the alignment between dial and bezel appears to be off just a smidge in certain positions, but no more than any of my other divers.

Aside from having a vintage influence (and potentially similar price point), they're VERY different watches IMO. The Aquascaphe is smaller and significantly thinner, has a sandwich dial but no applied markers, no date, and the lume is total crap. And being all brushed metal and matte dial, it's quite literally dull when compared to the shiny Caribbean. I agree that you'll probably get more bang for the buck with the Caribbean, but it really comes down to personal taste: do you want something chunky and a little flash, or something a little more subtle? Or just do like I plan to: sell your other watches that don't get much wrist time and buy the Aquascaphe *and* the Caribbean :)
    I believe the first one came with a broken bracelet on delivery. 2 faulty bezels. Time keeping +30 seconds. Non existent lume. Enough to make you think twice. Lovely looking though!!

I saw somebody moaning about the brushing on the lugs.

Journeyman
    I am so in on this. Definitely a yellow, strong possibility of a blue or orange too. Thanks for doing this Eddie.

Apprentice
    They look great especially the yellow with blue bezel. I really, really like the hands for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The prototypes look absolutely amazing, great job Eddie

These look as though they are going to be a fantastic modern interpretation of an iconic Caribbean dive watches of the past. If they are going to be priced as suggested in this thread then I for one will be keeping an eager eye on this thread awaiting the release.

If I had to pick at this stage I would say that the black & black is my favourite as it is probably more usable day to day for me however, the orange & blue and blue & blue are also very appealing.

I did crack waiting for these and purchased the O&W reissue (OW C-1000S) and whilst I admit the watch is great overall they have let themselves down with the quality of the bracelet in my opinion. From Eddies previous offerings I'm sure that there will not be any issues with the quality of the BOR bracelet on these beauties.

The latest O&W releases are rather mice except for the placement of the model number at the 3 o’clock position. Completely ruins the appearance. A shame.

I see, wonderful :D
    Can't believe you've forgotten that howler, we dined out on it on here for weeks!

Journeyman
    Looking very nice, Eddie. I love that yellow with blue bezel (even if the yellow really is a soft orange.) But the black, blue and orange (bright orange one) look really good, too. Frankly, I'd be happy with any of them.

Awesome, it's crazy to see those smaller vintage ones (27mm + 32mm)...

Any chance you might do something like that yourself in future for the ladies?