closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nest CCTV outdoor

Master

Nest CCTV outdoor

Morning

Hope everyone is safe and well. Our house renovation continues with some final touches. Who knows when we’ll get windows and doors though!

I wondered if anyone has a Nest camera setup for outside? The original cameras look good but I don’t love the wiring. The new ones are are good jump more expensive. Nest is good for us as we have the door bell and thermostat

Any experiences of either camera or with other brands that integrate with Google?

Cheers

Andrew

I use Nest cameras outside. Good sound pick up and a clear image but they do need a VERY strong wifi signal or they constantly cut the feed and nag you via email that it's disconnected.
    I put mine in silicon cases (Amazon) to give them an extra degree of protection.

That's All Folks

Nest CCTV outdoor

If you are renovating then can’t you just run some Ethernet cables to the points where you’d want the cams?

WiFi might be convenient as pointed out above but it all depends and can vary depending on the overall performance of yours and your neighbouring WiFI signals. So it could be working one day and not the next as a neighbour has made a change.
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 28th March 2020 at 11:19.

Master
    I've got one but wouldn't recommend them. Needs very strong WiFi and they are too expensive. Bloke at work bought 4 WiFi cameras with hard drive for the price of one Nest Camera and his is better albeit with no sound (the best thing about the Nest, I can hear the light switch in my garage from 20 feet away).

Master
    I spent ages looking at the integrated stuff, Hive/Nest etc... tried the Hive stuff, thought it was awful very glitchy. If you want something decent I’d go for a dedicated system, either Hikvision or Dahua I went for the latter and very impressed. Once you do your homework it’s not actually that difficult to install yourself.

I’m sure they’re a few threads with some suggestions on here.

Nest CCTV outdoor

I too went for Duhua 2Mp starlight cams, got a guy to do the wiring and then configured Blue Iris to run in a spare PC.

Another vote for Hikvision

Plenty of cheap stuff around from Amazon Costco and others

www.cctvkits.co.uk

These guys were great really helpful lots of advice and built a kit for my requirements and at a decent price.

Craftsman
    I use nest and think theyre very good for what they are. They're easy to install and picture quality is very good. With hindsight not sure CCTV is any real benefit these days. Criminals don't see to care. A while ago some people tried to break in to my garage and they were undeterred by CCTV. All the CCTV meant was I had a video of them trying to break in (you couldnt identify them from it - of course still userful to link to other burglaries in the area etc) and a much more nervous wife!!

Master
    Another vote for Hikvision, just run network cables to where you want the cameras. Take time to chose your locations & play with heights. The AP is great & depending on cameras chosen images are crystal even at distances.

Hikvision here too ... fitted it all myself without any previous experience, pretty simple plug and play ... just figure out where to run the cable, plenty of tips online

Master
    Thanks all for the feedback. I can run Cat6 Poe the house is getting the full treatment but the ease and integration of the nest stuff is still compelling. However seeing some the Hikvision pricing puts that into perspective somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Another vote for Hikvision

Plenty of cheap stuff around from Amazon Costco and others

www.cctvkits.co.uk

These guys were great really helpful lots of advice and built a kit for my requirements and at a decent price.
    Thanks for tip. Seems to have some great options

I'm preparing for a house renovation and I've just gone through the same processs.
    I've ended up running cat6 cable and wiring three Reolink cameras, running to my Synology NAS.

Wifi cameras are never going to be as reliable, so I took the opportunity to set it up properly and do the driling through ceilings etc now, before all the other work was done.

All being well, I now have a rock solid, maintenance- and subscription-free system.

Master
    A fruitful day of research, I think the dedicated CCTYV is the way forward.

The one thing I cant see readily however is finding a mounting bracket that will suit a vertical wall. On our extension we have no soffit or horizontal mounting position, therefore I’d want to mount a camera vertically direct to the wall. Anyone done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
    The one thing I cant see readily however is finding a mounting bracket that will suit a vertical wall. On our extension we have no soffit or horizontal mounting position, therefore I’d want to mount a camera vertically direct to the wall. Anyone done this?
    Yes. I used one of these for a 'bullet' camera (Reolink 410) on the side of my house with no horizontal fixing position.

Master
    Thanks - just found that, amazing this t’internet :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lippy View Post
    Thanks - just found that, amazing this t’internet :D
    Just realised I didn't include a link. Here it is.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-Univ...53.m2749.l2649

Most of the Hikvision and Dahua turret cams can me mounted vertically, that how I have all of mine mounted?

Master
    Thread update for those interested. Reolink kit comes tomorrow also being well. 4 bullet cameras with 8 port NVR with POE. Will run cat 6 across to mounting points and just need to figure out the junction boxes to mount flush to wall externally.

Will post up some thought when received. Thanks again all who’s informed ideas thus far, much appreciated

Andrew

Craftsman
    Annke CCTV for me here alongside a RING doorbell for deliveries. I looked at RING / NEST cameras but the cost was crazy and I hate wires so the faff of getting up a ladder once a month to swap batteries massively put me off.

They Annke ones (similar to Hikvision) are Power Over Ethernet (POE) so don’t need a plug socket, ethernet cable is pretty cheap these days so could even stick one up the top of the garden if you really wanted.

A breeze to fit as they are plug and play with the only negative being they don’t have sound. Have two in the garage and four outside the house. The phone app is pretty good too.

8 POE cams plus the recorder box cost £299. Then £100ish for a WD 3TB HDD. Took about half an hour to setup.

Nest CCTV outdoor

I’d be interested to see what the images from the Reolink look like.

These are images from my 2Mp Duhua starlight cams, images are sharper but Tapatalk is reducing the resolution.