closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Waitrose - Oh Dear!

Waitrose - Oh Dear!

There will be a lot of companies who come out of this malaise on the wrong side of the public’s feelings .
    Add Waitrose to a growing list

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Am I missing something. They will pay staff for not working, but want them to make up that time later - and they are not cool - WTF
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Am I missing something. They will pay staff for not working, but want them to make up that time later - and they are not cool - WTF
    You’re quite right. I read the BBC piece too quickly.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Waitrose - Oh Dear!

Add in some top Premier League clubs too like Liverpool, money flowing into them in yet they are asking the government to pay their staff, shameful...

The staff members aren’t allowed to work as they must self-isolate for two weeks. They’ll be paid and JL will reclaim 80% from HM Treasury. For example a staff member who is on 35 hours per week will then have to make up 70 hours in unpaid time when they return. So yes, not cool at all.

EDIT: they’ve back-tracked already stating they got it wrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52191147

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 6th April 2020 at 22:35.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    The staff members aren’t allowed to work as they must self-isolate for two weeks. They’ll be paid and JL will reclaim 80% from HM Treasury. For example a staff member who is on 35 hours per week will then have to make up 70 hours in unpaid time when they return. So yes, not cool at all.

EDIT: they’ve back-tracked already stating they got it wrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52191147
    That's not correct. They would have to Furlough the staff, which is agreed by the Employer and Employee if there will be no work. In the case of going off for 14 days they can recoup statutory sick pay from Goverment £95.85 a week.

Waitrose made a mistake and corrected it. Not *great*, but at least they put it right. As a business, they are in a sorry state, so imagine their policies are sometimes somewhat panicky and ill-thought-through. I'll be surprised if they're still in existence by the time that 2022 rolls-around.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Waitrose made a mistake and corrected it. Not *great*, but at least they put it right. As a business, they are in a sorry state, so imagine their policies are sometimes somewhat panicky and ill-thought-through. I'll be surprised if they're still in existence by the time that 2022 rolls-around.
    They will survive, perhaps not in the JLP current form. Waitrose will be there, John Lewis possibly less likely.

As an ex partner, I do hope they both remain, I learned a lot about myself and my management style working with them early in my career at head office.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    They will survive, perhaps not in the JLP current form. Waitrose will be there, John Lewis possibly less likely.

As an ex partner, I do hope they both remain, I learned a lot about myself and my management style working with them early in my career at head office.
    Don't get me wrong - I hope they do survive, but at best they may have a future as a flagship brand of Aldi or Lidl. Tend to doubt it, though.

Master
    I'd hope Waitrose survives it's the only place I've found that does a good welsh cake, without me having to make it myself.

Master
    Judging by the number of people waiting outside the Angel branch earlier, they should be OK! On a more serious note, I wouldn’t be surprised if they scale down their operations going forward as they did a lot of expansion over the last few years but I doubt they would disappear completely. There have been trends for people gravitating to higher and lower cost brands leaving the middle ground vacant and I expect that will continue.

My previous life brought me into contact with Clients who supplied supermarkets and the "sheds" (the likes of B&Q, Homebase, Wickes, etc).

The only supermarket, or major retailer that treated their suppliers well was John Lewis/Waitrose. They were an absolute dream to deal with, while at the other end of the scale Tesco were absolute scum, using every trick possible to delay or defray payments.

Although even the supermarkets were better than the construction industry...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Master
    The previous expansion was something they have realised was a mistake & they are now trying to be the best 5% MS retailer they can be & return to what they were great at. JL hasn’t moved with the times enough though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    My previous life brought me into contact with Clients who supplied supermarkets and the "sheds" (the likes of B&Q, Homebase, Wickes, etc).

The only supermarket, or major retailer that treated their suppliers well was John Lewis/Waitrose. They were an absolute dream to deal with, while at the other end of the scale Tesco were absolute scum, using every trick possible to delay or defray payments.

Although even the supermarkets were better than the construction industry...
    Having spent 20yrs dealing with them all, yes Tesco are known to be the worst, Asda a close second with the lack of respect between businesses & unrealistic requests either financially or time wise

The staff members aren’t allowed to work as they must self-isolate for two weeks. They’ll be paid and JL will reclaim 80% from HM Treasury. For example a staff member who is on 35 hours per week will then have to make up 70 hours in unpaid time when they return. So yes, not cool at all.EDIT: they’ve back-tracked already stating they got it wrong.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52191147
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Judging by the number of people waiting outside the Angel branch earlier, they should be OK!
    I went for a stroll the other day and couldn’t believe the queue was going down Chapel Street!

Based on anecdotal evidence about the lines, I have not even attempted to shop at the Barbican branch. If they ever did shut down the Barbicanites would probably starve!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Very good 👍

Master
    We have a little Waitrose in our village and it looks a fairly happy place to work I hope it doesn’t go under and we just end up with liddle and Aldi which it seems a lot of people these days would be happy with

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    We have a little Waitrose in our village and it looks a fairly happy place to work I hope it doesn’t go under and we just end up with liddle and Aldi which it seems a lot of people these days would be happy with
    A new Lidl (not liddle) opened near my local Waitrose. Helps keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    A new Lidl (not liddle) opened near my local Waitrose. Helps keep the riff-raff out of Waitrose.
    You are Alan Coren and I claim my £5.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.